Start by marking “The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side” as Want to Read:

An instant hit in the UK, this is the true account of a German shepherd who was adopted by the Royal Air Force during World War II, joined in flight missions, and survived everything from crash-landings to parachute bailouts; ultimately saving the life of his owner and dearest friend.

Published June 10th 2014 by Atria Books (first published September 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Could Fly, please sign up.

Carolyn I think this book would be excellent for a child of this age. The book was primarily about the relationship between man and dog, but also described…moreI think this book would be excellent for a child of this age. The book was primarily about the relationship between man and dog, but also described the true story of what they experienced serving during WWII. It seemed to be a realistic portrayal of war, as it described losing close friends and suffering injuries in combat, but without graphic details. I would equate it to a movie rating of PG. It is not for very young children, but for 10-12 and up it should prove to be very interesting and educational.(less)
Junemarie Brandt Yes it is. The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew at His Side" is the same book as "War…moreYes it is. The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew at His Side" is the same book as "War Dog: The No-Man's Land Puppy Who Took to the Skies." Not to be confused with a book called "The Dog Who Could Fly" by Meghna Verma.(less)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
814 books — 1,626 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,050 books — 1,404 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
Nov 06, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal lovers
Downloaded from Audible, narrated by Derek Perkins. A five-star performance! The narration improved on the story, I believe, which is saying something. His voice is easy on the ears and distinctly different for dog and man. Apparently, the book includes old photos, so I missed out on that, but I easily found several photos online.

This heartwarming and somewhat amazing biographical account is based on personal diaries, BBC footage and reports, and military documents.

The "story" begins in France
Donna
Mar 01, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
This was such an endearing story between a man and his dog. I am not a crier at all, but there were times where I felt my throat tighten and I had to blink back the tears. The bond that existed between the owner and his German Shepherd was so completely heart-warming.

This is a non-fiction book, mostly written by someone who doesn't write novels. So I think you need to keep that in mind as you read thru it. The writing was okay. But with that being said, it certainly was able to get the details
Jane Stewart
4 stars. Audiobook needs a pdf file for pictures.

Wow. Wonderful. Fantastic Story. True story about a dog and his loyalty and love with his owner.

I was so captivated. Could not stop reading. A pilot Robert was shot down by the Germans in 1939. There he met abandoned puppy Antis who would die if not rescued. Robert crawled for hours to safety with the puppy in his shirt. This is one of those truth is stranger than fiction stories. Amazing things happen. It’s nonfiction but embellished with assume
Paul Pessolano
Apr 22, 2014 Paul Pessolano rated it it was amazing
“The Dog Who Could Fly” by Damien Lewis, published by Atria Books.

Category – War/Dogs Publication Date – June 10, 2014

If you are looking for a book on the Second World War, if you are looking for a book on air combat, and if you are looking for a book that tells the story of an extraordinary dog, this is your book.

In 1929 Robert Bozdech and his pilot were shot down over German territory. They found refuge in a farm house and found a German shepherd puppy. A puppy they were going to leave behind
Allan
Jan 17, 2015 Allan rated it really liked it
As a dog lover, I was always going to enjoy this book, written by Lewis but based on the unpublished memoir of Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman whose relationship with his dog, Antis, resulted in fame during WW2.

Describing the book without spoilers is impossible, but from Robert's unlikely discovery of Antis as a puppy, an unbreakable bond was forged between man and dog that is documented here. No doubt more than slightly embellished-Antis was a remarkably talented dog if the words contained withi
Heather
May 29, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely and utterly riveting!! This is an absolultely amazing book, made even more astounding by knowing this is based on a true story.

Robert, a Czech pilot, flying with French Airforce, is shot down in No Man's Land. While getting his French pilot to safety, he finds an abandoned puppy and feeds it, thus starting a bond that is to last years and surmount seemingly impossible odds. When they leave, the puppy comes too, stuffed in Robert's flying jacket.

Later, the dog flies with him on missio
Elisabeth
Jan 18, 2016 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. The story at the core of this book is one that appealed to both my love of dogs and my interest in WWII history—the story of an abandoned German Shepherd puppy rescued by downed Czech airman Robert Bozdech, who became Bozdech's loyal sidekick and mascot of the RAF squadron his master joined, even flying with him on bombing raids over Germany. I have a German Shepherd myself, whose intelligence and devotion to her human family continue to amaze me, and many things about Antis' ...more
Charlie
Jun 07, 2014 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really like books that can keep my interest thru out the story. This is one of them.
First and foremost I received this Advanced uncorrected book from the publisher as a winner on Goodreads.com. AND now my review.

The title of the book - The Dog Who Could Fly - is exactly that- this incredible dog named Antis did fly many, many missions during WW11 with his BEST buddy - Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman flying with the RAF Bomber Command. However, not all the flights and land journeys were of the
Lori
Dec 12, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
An incredible story of the extreme dedication and loyalty of a German Shepherd for one man.
Skye
Jun 22, 2014 Skye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
A War Story, A Love Story Bound to be a New Bestseller

The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Footed Hero Who Flew at His Side, by Damien Lewis (Simon & Schuster, 2013, 288 pages, $26 - and worth every penny!)

Enthralling Read

By the co-author of Sergeant Rex, The Dog Who Could Fly only gets better and better as you find yourself reading faster and faster. You know the ending but you have to read the whole book to find out how it gets there.

Like a murder
Lori
Jun 05, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Anyone who has had a beloved dog will love this novel... It's heartwarming and shows the amazing bond that can happen between a man and his dog! This would've been an easy 5 star except that I felt the middle dragged on a bit ... but still a sweet, sweet story!
Jami
Jan 20, 2015 Jami rated it really liked it
I love the story of Robert and Antis; their bond is amazing! I can't believe the situations they were able to escape from during wartime. This was an informative and interesting story that was also emotional and heartwarming!
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure--I'm a dog lover and I'm definitely a huge fan of this remarkable a dog! What an amazing, wonderful, feel good story!
Mandy
May 29, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Loved it. Absolutely loved it :)
Kristin Ogburn
Oct 13, 2015 Kristin Ogburn rated it it was amazing
Amazing story about an amazing dog! Hard to believe it is true!
Tom Brand
Dec 07, 2016 Tom Brand rated it really liked it
Great book. I had to keep telling myself throughout the read that this is based on a true story... some of the situations were unbelievable. The relationship between man and his best friend was unbreakable. It's the quintessential example of the bond between dog and man, and one that others grew to admire, appreciate, and defend at their own peril.
Patricia
Nov 27, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Czech Airman Robert Bozdech was shot down during WW II behind enemy lines and rescued a German Shepherd puppy from a deserted farmhouse. The story of their escape to England and continued role in the war is incredible.

Food: Fish & chips.
Suzi Barbee
Nov 02, 2016 Suzi Barbee rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for a good dog story and I'm reading a lot of WWII fiction right now. Artis proves to be a girl magnet, just like my husband's German Shepherd. I cried, I laughed and I didn't want the book -- or the story -- to end. Fast read.
Katie
Nov 14, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this. A beautiful story that really captured the relationship between man and dog. Would highly recommend to any one, particularly dog lovers.
Lydia
Nov 16, 2016 Lydia rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this biography and the voice the author gave to the dog. It did make me cry.
Bob Schmitz
Dec 05, 2015 Bob Schmitz rated it liked it
Shelves: history-wwii
The is the story of a young Czech air force gunner, Robert Bozdechr, who left his country with the German invasion and fought with the French. He was shot down over no man's land where he found a German shepherd puppy in an abandoned house. Unable to kill the dog whose bark would give him away he put the puppy who he named Antis in his jacket and with his wounded pilot made his way to the French lines. He fled France and made his way to England to fight a Czech squadron in the RAF.
The book was
Marvin Goodman
Apr 19, 2016 Marvin Goodman rated it it was ok
My tepid two star rating doesn't reflect my admiration for Airman Robert Bozdech (or his gallant Czech colleagues) and his magnificent dog Ant. Indeed, that I pressed on through a book that I wasn't particularly enjoying is a testament to how wonderful their shared story was, and my desire to hear it despite the problems I had with the telling of the story.
Had the book simply been a translated and edited up version of Bozdech's original manuscript, I'd have gladly overlooked the writing that gra
Jim
Jul 18, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fabulous true story of the bond between a man and a dog that began, grew and matured in war-torn Europe in World War II. It also is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

Shot down by the Nazis, a French pilot and a Czech gunner seek shelter in an abandoned house in a border area controlled by the invading Nazis. The Czech man, the gunner, finds the house and takes his injured pilot there to hide and avoid the enemy. Inside, the gunner, Robert, hears a sound suggesting
Elgin
May 04, 2015 Elgin rated it it was ok
Shelves: military
I have very mixed emotions about this book. I read it after talking with an old friend who lived through the Blitz in London as a young woman. She told me that this was her favorite book...I wonder now if she read British news stories about the dog during the war years.

I wanted to like this book, and on one level I did. This is a very moving story about the bond between a man and his dog. A wonderful story about loyalty and friendship. I would have read this book aloud to my to my own children w
Knair20
Apr 29, 2016 Knair20 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War Dog is a book about a dog who was found in no-mans land during Word War 2 and his bond between his master. The book is mainly about their journey together. In my opinion, War Dog is a really interesting book because not only does it portray the emotions between the dog and his master, but you also understand what happened during World War 2. It also helps you understand how it was for the soldiers who were a part of the war. One aspect of this book that I really liked was that it also gave ...more
Samyann
Jan 03, 2015 Samyann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The full title is actually The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side. The book is a chronology of events based on a rough manuscript created by a WWII veteran Czech airman Robert Bozdech. Damien Lewis obtained the manuscript from Bozdech’s family and this book is the results.

The story will be enjoyed by any dog lover. Tense at times, the story pulls at the heart describing the adventures of a dog and his master, the inexplicab
Susan Poling
Feb 27, 2016 Susan Poling rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves dogs and understands the bond that can develop between a dog and his master.
Recommended to Susan Poling by: My sister, Kathy Parker
Shelves: biography, wwii
A wonderful book. The relationship between dog and master is negligible due to the fact that they exist as one being.

In the winter of 1939 in the cold snow of no-man's-land, two loners met and began an extraordinary
Doug Dams
Oct 03, 2014 Doug Dams rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of a Czech airman (Robert Bozdech) and the German Shepherd puppy he found in no man's land. It's a remarkable story of the dog's loyalty, devotion and bravery and the relationship between him and his master, Robert. In a series of stories that explains how the two found each other, flew missions together and avoided authorities that would separate them and survived combat injuries, the book explains the bond between man and dog.
I'm always amazed at the range of dog's s
Becky B
Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman flying with the allies, and his French pilot, had just escaped a crash into no-man's land between France and German lines when he stumbled across a starving little puppy in an abandoned farm house. Afraid the whines of the puppy would give away their position, Robert smuggled the puppy to safety with them and found himself a best friend for the war. Ant (later renamed Antis) was loyal to a fault. He and Robert had all sorts of escapades and adventures during WWII, ...more
Chris
Sep 03, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
If you can get past the excessive anthropomorphism that is also part of this book's charm you will find a compelling tale of bravery and camaraderie of man and beast. Just an incredible story that leaves you with that adage- you can't make this stuff up. Part Lassie, part Greyfriar's Bobby, the dog in this story, Ant, absolutely eclipses those other canine icons in his exploits. And he could be a bad dog too-Lewis tells it all. His owner, Robert Bozdech, a Czech airman, found Ant after he was ...more
  • The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness
  • Unlikely Heroes: 37 Inspiring Stories of Courage and Heart from the Animal Kingdom
  • Fighter Boys
  • Trusting Calvin: How a Dog Helped Heal a Holocaust Survivor's Heart
  • Churchill: Blood, Toil, Tears, and Sweat
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Dunkirk: Fight To The Last Man
  • Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog
  • The Forgotten Highlander: My Incredible Story Of Survival During The War In The Far East
  • Sgt. Reckless: America's War Horse
  • Top Dog: The Story of Marine Hero Lucca
  • Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries Of Housewife, 49
  • I Was A Doctor In Auschwitz
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • The Road to Rescue: The Untold Story of Schindler's List
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Andersonville Diary
  • The Arsenal of Democracy: FDR, Detroit, and an Epic Quest to Arm an America at War
Damien Lewis became an author largely by accident, when a British publisher asked him if he'd be willing to turn a TV documentary he was working on into a book. That film was shot in the Sudan war zone, and told the story of how Arab tribes seized black African slaves in horrific slave raids. Lewis had been to the Sudan war zone dozens of times over the past decade, reporting on that conflict for ...more
More about Damien Lewis...