Start by marking “Reach for Infinity” as Want to Read:
Reach for Infinity

Reach for Infinity (Infinity Project #3)

An original collection of new short science fiction from the biggest and most exciting names in the genre. The latest in the Infinities collections edited and comissioned by multiple award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan.

What happens when humanity reaches out into the vastness of space? The brightest names in SF contribute new orginal fiction to this amazing anotholog
Published May 27th 2014 by Solaris (first published May 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Reach for Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reach for Infinity

Ian Mond
Jan 23, 2015 Ian Mond rated it really liked it
What’s It About

It’s the third anthology in Jonathan’s Strahan’s Infinity series. This one collects 14 short stories from writers like Ellen Klages, Adam Roberts and Karen Lord. It focuses on humanity taking the next big step forward – whether that be colonising Mars, coming to terms with Artificial Intelligence or the challenges of travelling in a generation ship.

Should I Read It?

Absolutely yes. While Jonathan might be a friend, I say without prejudice and bias that he is a magnificent anthologi
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
May 23, 2014 Lori L (She Treads Softly) rated it really liked it
Reach for Infinity is the highly recommended third anthology of hard science fiction short stories in the Infinity series edited by Jonathan Strahan. The first two are Engineering Infinity and Edge of Infinity.

In the 14 short stories Strahan includes, he writes: "Many of the stories take place on Earth in the next hundred years, looking at points in time where people, or a person, look to make a critical difference and push forward towards something greater. Some of them take snapshots from plac
DomoKete
Linda Nagata, "Attitude", 4 stars
Hannu Rajaniemi, "Invisible Planets", 3 stars
Kathleen Ann Goonan, "Wilder Still, The Sta
Michelle M
A collection of short stories that watch as humanity extends into space. As with most anthologies, some stories were spectacular and some didn't speak to me at all. I appreciated the extrapolation and acceptance of alternative life views, and I always like an excuse to dabble in hard scifi, which I don't normally gravitate to.

One of the Philip K Dick award nominees, worth reading but as always, the nature of a collection of short stories from multiple authors rarely completely satisfies, there'
Odo
May 09, 2014 Odo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, own
Best anthology of original SF stories in years.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
An anthology of original fiction is based around the premise of humanity spreading out into space. This is the third in the Infinity anthology series, with the first two being Edge of Infinity and Engineering Infinity.

For an anthology it feels short at just fourteen short stories, even though together they clock in at 352 pages – a decent size for a book. From well known authors and with Strahan’s seal on the deal, you’re confident in knowing that you’re going to have a worthy collection in fron
Camille
May 19, 2014 Camille rated it liked it
Publication date: May 27, 2014
Let me start off by saying I received a free copy of the e-book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book contains 14 short stories regarding humanity in space, reaching farther than the Earth and moon, struggling to create new communities and dealing with new technology. Strahan describes the collection in his introduction:

Katya Bogdanov
Jun 01, 2014 Katya Bogdanov rated it really liked it
We don’t always appreciate that life is precarious.

Reach for Infinity was a reminder that it is.

A collection of hard science fiction, the anthology aims to stay scientifically consistent and doesn’t tiptoe around the more technical details of its subject matter. This meant that throughout its 350 pages, I was reminded, again and again, just how fragile the balance of life is, how many comforts we take for granted, and just how much effort must be put in to sustain it as we explore the Universe.
Grigory Lukin
May 24, 2014 Grigory Lukin rated it it was amazing
"Reach for infinity" is yet another interesting anthology of hard (or at the very least mildly squishy) science fiction. Edited by Jonathan Strahan, it features mostly optimistic stories of humanity in space. The sub-genres vary from hard science fiction with sleek metal androids to tales for young adults. All of them are beautifully written, guaranteed to appeal to just about any audience and provide a refreshing humanist perspective on the frequently dark and gloomy tropes of science fiction.

B
Florin Constantinescu
Mar 02, 2017 Florin Constantinescu rated it did not like it
At one point I was going to rush and buy all anthologies supervised by J.Strahan.
This one made me rethink that strategy.
Half a week after I finished it I could not remember a single idea or character from it. All I could remember was longing for each particular story to be over.
Zeb Kantrowitz
May 13, 2014 Zeb Kantrowitz rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
This edition of Strahan’s Infinity series deals with striving and reaching for the next elusive state in the development of earth or the colonized worlds. What’s that? It relates to a time when a person or persons, make a critical difference and push forward to try and create something greater.

You invent the elusive FTL (faster the light) engine that will allow ‘man’ to go anywhere in the Universe. How do you make sure that it’s not ‘’weaponized” or becomes a monopoly of a Company? How to ensur
Outis
One of the best topical anthologies... which isn't saying much.
It keeps amazing me how most genre authors not only can't write hard SF but can't even stick to a topic (in this case humanity "trying to get off Earth"). The ones who contributed to this anthology are among the best, as is the editor but there's still plenty of duds in it.
It's sad that it was so predictable that the only authors who wouldn't miss the mark in some way would be Egan, Nagata and Reynolds (though the latter has loaded h
Gavin Gates
Nov 22, 2014 Gavin Gates rated it liked it
Strahan is, to my limited sci fi knowledge, one of the in the genre today, coupled up with noteables of similar esteem such as (a personal favourite) Alastair Reynolds ‘Reach for infinity’ had some serious depth available.
‘Reach for Infinity’ is the third in a series of sci fi and in this one the theme seems to be based around the strength of the human spirit and the need to get off earth, all of the stories included are set to take place within the next 100 years (roughly.) As a serious, hard
Salomon Xeno
Jun 04, 2014 Salomon Xeno rated it liked it
It's a collection of 14 hard science fiction stories, each one with its own flavour; wether if you like to see that the angular momentum is conserved, tragedies that turn up into tears, or the irony of humanity in outer space, you'll find something suitable. The point is that it's hard SF, but nothing more. It's a picture of what SF writers can do at the moment, and I think that a book with a title like this could offer something more.
Overall it's a nice collection of stories, some of them very
Linda Robinson
Jan 08, 2015 Linda Robinson rated it liked it
Read the stories written by women first, and enjoyed each. The Dust Queen by Aliette de Bodard is excellent, as is Wilder Still, The Stars by Kathleen Ann Goonan. Wilder Still is superb and I'd like to read it as a novel covering the crew's ongoing adventure. 14 stories, 6 by women is a good assortment. I'm not accustomed to reading short stories, but I'm learning that, like most things, the story ends. Just a little faster than a novel. And reading a collection like this opens a world of writer ...more
Jul 17, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
solid collection of hard sci-fi that is set in time when humankind is pushing out of the boundaries of earth, but is still confined within the solar system. i enjoyed each story, but my least favorite actually ended up being the reason i picked up the collection in the first place. i was excited for a new hannu rajaniemi tale but what i got was hannu doing italo calvino, so obviously not horrible but also not what i wanted. among the rest it's difficult to pick a favorite. the topics and voices ...more
Cary Grant
Feb 10, 2015 Cary Grant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worthless SF

I am a traditionalist SF type of guy. Except when an author does something innovative and or cool. Neither of these are in any of these stories. I regret wasting money on this ebook and wasting my time reading this slop. To me an SF story needs to have a point, a purpose, and a destination. These stories don't have these so I don't see any point or value in them. Is this why America is going down the tubes? Muddled thinking and pointless stories showing the growing problem of people
Crusader
Aug 08, 2014 Crusader rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 2014-read
Reach for Infinity has a stellar array of both authors and stories that explores humanity grasping for a place amongst the stars. Beautifully written, captivating, touching, but most importantly filled with that unique sense of wonder only great science fiction can provide. Don’t be scared off by the hard science fiction label. Science is used to set the stage, but these stories are overflowing with human emotion and spirit even if it sometimes takes unexpected forms. Read full review
Steven
Apr 12, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
More duds then bangs in this one. I love hard scifi. But one story had so much techno babble that I had a hard time telling if they succeeded or died at the end. I read anthologies to discover new authors. The few that I liked, I already knew. I will read more collections by this editor as this one gets the least favorable reviews.
Michael Hanscom
A good anthology, but as with any anthology, some stories work better than others, and for this reason, I don't ever see an anthology being my pick for the PK Dick award. My personal favorite story was Trademark Bugs: A Legal History, by Adam Roberts.
Steven
May 02, 2016 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The best of the series. There is some very high quality writing in the book. Some of my favorites were “Amicae Aeternum” by Ellen Klages; “Attitude” by Linda Nagata; “Invisible Planets” by Hannu Rajaniemi; “Wilder Still, the Stars” by Kathleen Ann Goonan.

Mouldy Squid
Mar 05, 2015 Mouldy Squid rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A bit uneven, but enjoyable enough. The stand out stories are by the usually suspects. McLeod, Reynolds, Schroeder and Watts. Not the best of the "Infinity Series" of anthologies edited by Jonathan Strahan, but worth the price of admission particularly for four authors listed above.
Paul Weimer
May 28, 2014 Paul Weimer rated it really liked it
My review at Skiffy and Fanty
Falbs
Sep 28, 2015 Falbs rated it really liked it
This collection was a bit hit or miss, although I absolutely loved 'Trademark Bugs: A Legal History' by Adam Roberts (of 'New Model Army' fame).
Jaime
Dec 13, 2014 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Gran colección. Greg Egan, Ian McDonald, Karl Schroeder, Alastair Reynolds y Peter Watts. Los demás autores no me emocionaron mucho.
Matt Holland
Oct 17, 2014 Matt Holland rated it liked it
A couple stories were awesome, a couple were meh.
Steve Scanlan
Jan 08, 2017 Steve Scanlan rated it liked it
How far gone does an author have to be to lynch the Koch brothers in a story?

That is a lot of Kool-Aid....
Francesco Verso
Francesco Verso rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2017
Nicholas Johnson-pond
Nicholas Johnson-pond rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Norwescon: Reach for Infinity 5 11 Mar 29, 2015 09:10AM
  • Upgraded
  • Space Opera
  • The Colonel (Firefall, #1.5)
  • Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures
  • Aliens: Recent Encounters
  • War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
  • Memory
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2
  • Absorption (Ragnarok #1)
  • Hurricane Fever
  • The Long List Anthology: More Stories from the Hugo Awards Nomination List
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
  • A Wilderness of Sin (An Uncivil War #3)

Infinity Project (7 books)
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Meeting Infinity
  • Bridging Infinity
  • Infinity Wars
  • Infinity's End

“Coffee is a drink for grownups. No kid ever likes coffee. It’s psychoactive. Coffee is the drug of memory. I can remember the great cups of coffee of my life; the places, the faces, the words spoken. It never quite tastes the way it smells. If it did, we would drink it until our heads exploded with memory.” 2 likes
“When people work for money, you can never pay them enough; when they work for what they believe, they’ll pay themselves.” 0 likes