Start by marking “Shatter (True Believers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shatter (True Believers, #4)

Shatter (True Believers #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,088 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
From the USA Today bestselling author of True, Sweet, and Believe comes a tantalizing New Adult novel about finding love in the most unexpected ways…

Kylie Warner prides herself on being optimistic, but after finding her best friend in bed with her boyfriend and flunking chemistry, her upbeat attitude has taken a dive. Even an impromptu hook-up with her sexy new chemistry
Published September 2nd 2014 by InterMix (first published August 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shatter, please sign up.

Jeanelle Dumont Not necessarily, but it will make more sense with the side stories if you read the books in order... They all relate to each other in one way or…moreNot necessarily, but it will make more sense with the side stories if you read the books in order... They all relate to each other in one way or another. (less)

Anne
Aug 25, 2014 Anne rated it it was ok

Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

Even though I didn't particularly love this one, I didn't hate it, either. Normally, anything by McCarthy is a winner, but this was, for me, one of her weakest romances.
That doesn't mean Shatter is a stinker, by any means, it's just sort of meh. I'm sure lots of other readers with enjoy it, but I had several problems getting into it.
And here's why:
Kylie has no real problems.
Her family is beyond wonderful, she's well-liked, and she even manages to get k
Jen
This was a 3.5 star rating for me. It was not one of my favorites out of the series; but I still enjoyed it. Review to Come!

Thank you to Net Galley and Penguin Group Berkley for providing me a copy of this ARC, which is due out in September 2014...
♥Rachel♥
Sep 03, 2014 ♥Rachel♥ rated it it was amazing
It’s no secret I’ve enjoyed Erin McCarthy’s New Adult series, True Believers, but Shatter is my favorite so far!

Kylie had her world shattered when she found out her longtime boyfriend cheated on her with her friend, Robin. Not only did he cheat on her, but he tried many times to hookup up again with Robin, while he was still supposed to be with Kylie. Having lost her focus over all the turmoil, Kylie is struggling with her classes and she’s in danger of flunking chemistry. To help, she’s enlist
Rose
Review to come eventually. I essentially forgot to mark this as read, but I read this earlier this year. I'm marking it for today's date though. On the whole, this was just the same old melodramatic, self-loathing, unlikable scenario that I found moments to connect with and others that completely pushed my patience to its peak.

And I think I started hating this one off the bat because SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BELIEVE, the third book in this series: (view spoiler)
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
2.5-2.75...Not so Shattered Stars!

I first read Erin McCarthy with book one in the True Believers series. I admit that I really like her style. She has an easy flow with her writing and her characters, although not perfect, are likeable. Each character has had personal struggles and issues to overcome, and their paths have not been straight and narrow. That being said, I will say that while I enjoyed Shatter, it was not my favorite of the series so far.

Shatter picks up after the devastation that
1/7 - I read this immediately after finishing the first book in the series, True, which may have contributed to this not getting a slightly higher rating. I disliked Jessica and Kylie so much in True that I just wasn't in the right mind to accept either of them as sympathetic heroines. It's probably lucky that I didn't go straight to Jessica's book as she seemed to be the more objectionable of the pair.

Once I got over my prior dislike of Kylie this was pretty good, above average. I got choked up
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
In the words of Mark Darcy, "I have to say, this really is the most incredible shit." I knew going in that I wasn't going to like this book. I probably shouldn't even have bothered reading it, but I'd bought the whole series on my Kindle for like $7, so I felt like I had to get my money's worth. I'm not convinced my brain cells will ever forgive me.

Frankly, this wasn't as bad as book 2 (featuring Jessica, the most annoying person on the planet) or book 3 (in which Robin is raped by her best fri
♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥
4 color me surprise stars!

Despite the low ratings it got from GR, so far, I ended up liking this one.

Kylie got cheated in the previous when her best friend slept with her boyfriend. As a result, Kylie had been feeling out of sorts with her life especially with her friends pairing off and riding off into the sunset with the hero of their dreams. She's also struggling with chemistry. Her struggle led her to Jonathon AKA Darwin, a hot nerd who tutored her so she could pass her chemistry exam. They
Andrea
Aug 29, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Wow! Where do I even begin with Shatter?

If you've read the series, you know Kylie Warner is due for some happiness. Betrayed by her boyfriend who slept with her (black-out drunk, meaning unconscious) friend, Kylie has gone through so much and seems so lost. Her grades stink. Her new apartment kind of sucks, and she's semi-avoiding her best friends. Enter her tutor, Jonathon Kadisch.

So now, if you've read the synopsis-and I'm going to assume you have, Kylie and Jonathon get into more than just so
There will be minor spoilers from the previous books in this series.

Shatter is the fourth and final book in the True Believers series.

The main narrator of this book is Kylie (Robin, Jessica and Rory's friend from the previous books). A new character, tutor Jonathon is the other narrator.

These books are standalones in that each book is about its own couple. But many characters from the other books are supporting characters in this book.

Kylie is in college. She has been devastated by her ex-boyfri
Anna's Herding Cats
Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Whew talk about a read that put me through the wringer! McCarthy didn't hold back with Shatter as Kylie and Jonathan tackle real life and a one night stand turned pregnancy with heart and humor and adjust to their lives being changed forever and bound to someone they really don't know.

Kylie and Jonathan's romance was a hard one. It felt real and made me ache for them as life dealt them blow after blow. They're both pretty amazing people--though very
Valerie
Nov 28, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The feeling that I have when I turn the last page of a book is always telling. If I've been counting the pages and just waiting for it to be over, then I'm not satisfied. If I wish there were more pages and I can't believe I just sat for like three hours without even noticing the time, then I am satisfied. This book, it's the satisfying kind.

In a bit of a reading slump, every book I picked up lately got put back down. Then I picked up Shatter. I was half way through it before I came up for air.
Jacqueline
I not really the target audience for this New Adult book but I enjoyed it. It was angsty (a NA prerequisite) without being OTT. Maybe angsty lite. It's really amazing how using the correct vocabulary can set the tone for a book. These characters really felt their age, college kids. It was nice to read about a heroine who was cute but not drop dead gorgeous and a nice hipster type real smart guy who was not the greatest at figuring out girls. The whole story just seemed pretty real to me. Sort of ...more
Astrid
Jan 23, 2016 Astrid rated it it was amazing
Aww, war das ein toller Abschluss der True-Reihe!
So fantastisch!

Jessica & Riley, Rory & Tyler, Robin & Phoenix, sie alle hatten schon wirklich tolle Geschichten, aber Kylie & Jonathon haben mich noch mehr begeistert! Kylie sagt immer gerade heraus was sie denkt und bleibt dabei trotzdem so unheimlich liebenswert, dass man nur zu gerne mit ihr befreundet sein möchte. Und ihre Probleme in Chemie konnte ich nur zu gut nachvollziehen!

Bestehe auf deinem Recht, wollte ich ihm sagen. Erobere mich für
Nareh
I have to say that I did like this book but it was only a 3 star read for me.

I liked the hero much more than I did the heroine although they both had their moments of utter stupidity. Kylie is in her junior year of college but acts more like a junior in high school. Some of her actions were not the actions I would expect a junior in college to make. Jonathan is in his final year of graduate school. He is the adorable nerd that is trying to finish school and decide what he wants to do next; wheth
Bella
Jul 13, 2014 Bella rated it really liked it
I love this series!!

ARC provided via netgalley - woohoo!!! Love getting approved for a book I'm anxiously awaiting anyways.

This is Kylie's book. Kylie has been through a rough patch with what happened with Nate. She is usually so friendly and optimistic but has become a bit...bitter and depressed since the break up.

And she's failing chemistry.

This is how we meet Jonathon AKA Darwin. He's tutoring Kylie.

Jonathon made the story for me. I love the contradictions in his character. He's genius s
Wendy
Dec 07, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I love this series to pieces. Erin does such a great job! I'm buying all 4 books in paperback for myself for Christmas because I just need them on my shelf physically!

I don't know how Erin manages to write such compelling and real male leads but so far, I've loved them all and ohhh, Darwin... you know, apart for like 3 slip-ups where I would've liked to kick him in the nuts he was just such a great guy!

And Kylie! Se went through so much and was so strong and she was absolutely and completely dif
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
Nov 10, 2014 Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
I so enjoyed this story!

Jonathan was the sweetest ever! I loved that he was like this genius/awkward hot guy!
Kylie, I liked her but she annoyed me a bit! I wasn't impressed with her attitude towards Robin even though Robin apologized like a million times!

But I still enjoyed the story!

Definitely a nice Sunday Afternoon read!
Sheryl
Jul 10, 2014 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
I have no other words to say except that this was 'DA BOMB and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!!! My God, how I LOVED Jonathan aka Darwin; what an awesome combi of nerd and hottie rolled into one *SWOON*.

*ARC courtesy of Netgalley and Berkley*
Julia's Book Haven
Dec 23, 2014 Julia's Book Haven rated it liked it
*3.5 Stars*
Julia Gutenberg
Aug 29, 2015 Julia Gutenberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cover:

Das Bild der Frau, die sich an den Mann schmiegt und einen Kopf kleiner zu sein scheint, gefällt mir sehr. Es strahlt das Gefühl von Geborgenheit aus, ebenso die Mimik der Frau lässt darauf schließen, dass es nur an solch positiven Gefühlen bedarf, um glücklich zu sein. Die Gestaltung des Buchtitels durch die Schriftart, Größe und die Hervorhebung der roten Kreise liefern wieder ein tolles Gesamtbild.

Meinung:

Kylie und Jonathon waren mir vom ersten Augenblick an sympathisch. Beide sind eher
Amanda (Hootie) Clark

Shatter was the ONE book in this series I was looking forward to with bated breath. Kylie's story. Her turn in the spotlight and my hope that something beautiful would happen for her after such a crushing blow as she has suffered. If you're not familiar with the True Believers series that's a shame because these books are fantastic! In the third installment, BELIEVE, Kylie's best friend Robin had a drunken affair with her boyfriend. One she doesn't remember and ultimately dealt a blow to Kylie's
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 15, 2015 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Emotional story that delivered a great message. With amazing characters, steamy romance, and beautiful writing, this is sure to be a hit with all new adult contemporary romance fans!

Opening Sentence: I hated living alone.

The Review:

Kylie has never been categorized as a smart girl. She is pretty, funny, and sweet, so pretty much everyone loves her. So you would think that her life is perfect, but it is actually quite the opposite of perfect a
Krista
Dec 22, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Kylie's story in Shatter is the last of the four college BFFs' to tell, and it feels like her story has been a long time coming. We had the impression from book one that her relationship with her boyfriend wasn't everything it should be. He seemed like a total douchebag, and after book three in the series, that was confirmed. It's a shame that it had to happy to Kylie - the "happy" one of the group. I really, really wanted her to get her HEA just like the other three girls had. And, she found it ...more
Autumn Review
Sep 05, 2014 Autumn Review rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, review
Shatter took me a bit by surprise. Kylie hasn't really been a favorite of mine, but I have to say...she won me over. And Jonathon...umph! Sexy, super smart, and adorably sweet...he just might be the perfect guy.

If you've followed along with the series, you know that Kylie's had to deal with a cheating boyfriend. Not only did he cheat, but it was with one of her best friends. Ouch. Big ouch. And while her friendship will never be the same, Kylie feels like she does need to move on. So, she takes
Angie
Dec 14, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

I tried to go into Shatter with an open mind, even though I knew I wasn't going to like it. But, as it's the last in the series, I was inclined to finish. I must start out by saying the description is a liar! Kylie did not find her boyfriend in bed with her best friend. They did sleep together, but that's how she found out, which you'll know if you read Believe, or just if you read this one since she explains it. I hate misleading descriptions. Anyway, Kylie i
Dianne
It’s the unexplainable chemistry between two people that creates love and attraction. When the geek chemistry tutor and his not so brainy, chemistry student find that for as different as they were intellectually, they definitely have that unexplained chemistry, like mixing chemically unstable ingredients into a beaker, their attraction becomes an explosive series of events that makes being a couple nearly impossible. Only love, honesty and the ability to learn to trust each other at face value ...more
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars
Aw, this is probably my favorite of the series! Jonathon - hot damn. I was not expecting him to bring that level of swoon.

Quick summary: In the previous book we learned that Kylie's boyfriend had cheated on her with one of her best friends. Normally an optimistic, happy-go-lucky girl, Kylie sort of loses her spirit. And any desire for the opposite sex. That is, until she meets her new chemistry tutor. They hit it off immediately, and he makes her feel beautiful in one night that she h
Brandee Price
Shatter tells Kylie's story and rounds out the series about these four girlfriends. I enjoyed getting to know Kylie on a deeper level than the superficial one I'd seen in the previous installments but more character development would have been nice. I really liked Jonathon as well but again, more character development would have pushed them both far beyond the stereotypes that defined them.

When we last saw Kylie she was struggling to deal with the betrayal Nathan and Robin had perpetrated again
Erin Arkin
Dec 30, 2014 Erin Arkin rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

Shatter is the fourth book in the True Believers series by Erin McCarthy and I have to admit, I read hot, tattooed, nerd and I was completely sold. Unfortunately for me, that is about all that won me over with this book.

I’m not sure I can pinpoint any one thing that made me not love this book. Perhaps it was that I found the main character, Kylie, annoying. I don’t know if it was just one thing though. The dialogue wasn’t my favorite and some of the drama/angst felt thrown in just for t
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Stupid Love (Stupid in Love, #3)
  • No One Like You (Barefoot William, #4)
  • Shipwrecked Summer
  • Recitatif
  • Black Diamond (Stark Springs Academy #1)
  • Leave a Mark
  • Wreckless
  • Happily Ever After: A Day in the Life of the HEA (Rook and Ronin, #3.5)
  • Dial M for Menage
  • Claiming Her Warriors (Lumineta, #2)
  • Christmas in the Billionaire's Bed (Kavanaghs of Silver Glen, #3)
  • Whisper to Me (Between Breaths, #3)
  • Salvation (Nashville Nights, #2)
  • Summer's Temptation (Vandeveer University, #1)
  • A Kiss Like This (Kiss & Make Up, #3)
  • No Pants Required
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written almost fifty novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for New Orleans, tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.
More about Erin McCarthy...

True Believers (4 books)
  • True (True Believers, #1)
  • Sweet (True Believers, #2)
  • Believe (True Believers, #3)

“Right.” Oh my God, I was already lost. Wait. I had never been found. “But” 0 likes
“It’s just my creepy science mind at work. I was thinking how bizarre it is that a parasite is growing in you and will eventually explode from your body through an extremely narrow opening, and yet you will both survive.” 0 likes