Start by marking “Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles: An Accidental Memoir” as Want to Read:
Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles: An Accidental Memoir

Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles: An Accidental Memoir

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Kate Braverman grew up in Los Angeles in the late 1950s at the time when glitz was just beginning to be manufactured. Her Los Angeles was made up of stucco tenements, welfare, and the marginalized. It wasn't a destination city, it was the end of the line.

Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles chronicles the trajectory of Braverman's Left Coast generation with a voi
Published January 24th 2006 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frantic Transmissions to and from Los Angeles

Mike
This was so much better than I expected. This was the first book of Braverman's I've read, and it annihilated me. Her work is as lyrical as Rikki Ducornet's, as observant and insouciant as Don DeLillo's and as chiseled as that of Joy Williams. This book is a treasure trove of ideas, of scintillating rage, of beautiful sentences. 2008 is gonna see me go on a serious Braverman binge.
Meg Tuite
This is intense, mesmerizing! Braverman has such beauty of language and blasts through her life in LA as a kid until the time she decides to move away to the Allegheny Mountains as foreign from LA as she is from it. And then finally the middle ground: San Francisco. It's Braverman! It's exceptional!
Mark Underwood
Sep 13, 2014 Mark Underwood rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Literary fiction, poetic fiction
More than once, Braverman and I have met beneath the jacaranda trees, near the oleander. The freeway roar is beside us at dusk. The cancer hospital, with its hidden little tragedies, masturbatory grant-getting is on the other side of a concrete ravine. My parents died there. Or perhaps it was her parents. We paid for them to die there. It was part of the deal.

The Transmissions here are closer to intromissions, and not of the ecstatic sort. Braverman's transmissions are composed by first deconstr
Diann Blakely
I'm re-reading this one now and thinking back to when I ordered a review copy; the publicist protested "she left out all the good stuff!" Well, it depends on what you mean by "good stuff."

Braverman is a cult figure, already legendary at the age of 60, and I have reviewed a number of her books, often with Denis Johnson's, for I think they are the best writers of their generation Her website contains many links and fascinating interviews concerning language, consumerism, "writing as criminal behav
Ted Burke
Frantic Transmissions to and From Los Angeles is a memoir, of sorts, about growing up in Los Angeles, and then the eventual moving away from that famously center-less city. Writing in a high poetic and semiotically engaged style that recalls the best writing of Don DeLillo (Mao ll) and Norman Mailer (Miami and the Seize of Chicago), Braverman deftly defines isolated Los Angeles sprawl and puts you in those cloistered, cul-de-sac'd neighborhoods that you drive by on the freeway or pass on the com ...more
Robert Vaughan
This is a fantastic tome, a romp at times a diatribe, invective, and lovely, disturbing, unsettling in all the very best ways. Part story in its narrative, yet contains numerous stunning poetic lines, sections like spun gold, the pace like a locomotive train. I admired the differing points-of-view, like Aunt Sarah's, or even the Q & A with iconic star Marilyn Monroe. And how the city, Los Angeles, becomes a character like no other I've ever read. It was quirky, confessional, funny, and yet s ...more
Shauna
It was okay. A lot of it was pretentious as a swooping bat on a fallen sky. Worse. But there were some entertaining chapters in the mix.

Man, Braverman REALLY has issues with Los Angeles. It's a variety of hang-up I can't even begin to understand; as a military brat, I'm not really from anywhere. I've lived all over the place, and have some morsel of nostalgia for every one of those cities. I don't think I could even rant as fiercely against South Florida, and there is NO WAY by anyone's yardsti
Monte
any one of these frantic transmissions is good, but all together they become somewhat of a repitition.
certain metaphors, such as the improbability of the names of boulevards in the LA basin to an east coast, or non-hispanic ear, are intersting once, but they occur several times - it seems to need closer editing.

the childhood reminiscences however are strikingly tactile - and ms braverman can definitely turn a phrase - i once heard a listener comment on her just mot and she said simply - "i know
Barrett
Dec 05, 2007 Barrett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: los angelenos, midnight vultures, multi-genre-tistas
Los Angeles is a difficult city to put into words. There are languages to account for, and cultures, and the millions of people. There is the anti-culture of the place, the showbusiness and sexuality and suburbanity. I always thought that Beck's album "Midnight Vultures" had the best portrayal of this mercurial place, and still do. Braverman book is a true accomplishment and rivals that succinct vision of a peculiar place that no one really loves but everyone wants to talk about.
Jen Hirt
Kate Braverman's memoir about Los Angeles -- seem from the inside and from the far-outside-upstate-new-york residence where she lives for six years -- is like a city of language that knocks you flat. I will remember her amazing descriptions of the autumn colors, which she often compares to wine. This is the first Brvaerman book I've read, and I'm captivated by her nonfiction style, which is clearly closer to poetry than to fiction.
Mimi
well, somewhere between a 3 and a 4. I enjoyed this crazy love/hate diatribe about LA, but it probably helped to have lived there. Like all group of essays some are more fun than others.
Anna Jones
Not what I was expecting, but a good read even if I had to despair what she was talking about between the constant flashbacks.
Denise
a bit repetitive, a bit out there, but I think it's one of those things you have to live to experience and appreciate.
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 03, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Jun 27, 2015
Marchhare
Marchhare marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Matthew Walton
Matthew Walton marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Laurel Beth
Laurel Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Vincent Scarpa
Vincent Scarpa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kate Braverman (born 1950) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet, originally from Los Angeles, California, who has garnered great acclaim for works including the novels Lithium for Medea (1979), Palm Latitudes (1988), Wonders of the West (1993), and The Incantation of Frida K (2001). Her most significant work has been in stylistic hybrid forms built upon poems and rendered as short ...more
More about Kate Braverman...
Lithium for Medea Incantation of Frida K. Palm Latitudes: A Novel Squandering the Blue: -- Stories Small Craft Warnings: Stories