Start by marking “A Dangerous Promise” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Promise

A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  10 reviews
It's 1861, and although Mike Kelly is far younger than the legal age of 16, he and his best friend Todd secretly join up with the Second Kansas Infantry and become army drummer boys. Mike's dreams of glory end when he's wounded at the bloody Battle of Wilson's Creek and must begin a dangerous adventure behind enemy lines.
Published November 27th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Promise

Tracy
Fast paced, intricate look at life as a Civil War soldier. Mike Kelly, almost 13, runs away with his friend Todd in order to become a drummer boy. Throughout the book, Mike grows from a naive boy to a seasoned soldier as he tries to keep his promise to his fallen friend.
It is still a good read focusing on the horrors of war both on and off the battlefield.
Candace
A Dangerous Promise by Joan Lowery Nixon, continues the story of Michael Kelly. Michael was a member of the Orphan Train sent west from New York City with his 3 sisters and 2 brothers by their mother.

Mike was first adopted by some terrible people, but eventually he left that place and was taken in by Captain Joshua Taylor and his wife, Louisa. Mike lives in Ft Leavenworth, KS and when the Union Army needs soldiers, Mike decides (along with his good friend, Todd), that he's going to enlist. Troub
Sam Parry
In A Dangerous Promise the protagonist is a 12 year old boy who runs away to join the Union army. The plot of this book is very exiting with many close calls. Mike Kelly and his friend Todd are drummers in the Union army. Their first battle is at the Battle of Bull Run. Todd dies in Battle and Mike has to fullfill a promise to Todd. Mike has to return Todd's watch to his sister. An evil Confederate soilder steals the watch and Mike is forced to make a difficult adventure to reclaim the very soug ...more
Gabriel
For years I forgot what this book was called. Thanks to the power of Google and Goodreads I have found it after at least nine years of searching. Just thinking of this book brings back other times, other times of sitting down on the floor of the children's section of the library, legs crossed and mind immersed in the pages that shaped me into the person I am today.

A Dangerous Promise was the first book to introduce me to the utter brutality and senselessness of war, and I highly recommended it.
War's never fun, and the boy in this book learns that the hard way, during the very harsh American civil war. At the beginning, he's thinking "adventure" and how he can help. He learns soon enough how wrong he is, and ages beyond his years to deal with it all. Many lessons in the book can also apply to today. The book left me wanting more at the end, which slightly surprised me, given the morose (war) material.
Duane
The saga continues for Mike who is a past Orphan Train child. Mike wants to join the Union Army as a drummer and soon finds that all those dreams of fighting aren't anything like the reality of battle. Mike learns the glamour of battle isn't anything like the honesty of it. A great read for Civil War buffs.
Virginia
I love this series, but I especially liked this book because at the time I read it, I was on a Civil War kick. The story does have some heart wrenching scenes, but considering the setting, it would come across as rather fake if it didn't.
Christina
This one was a little lacking in plot. I did like the civil War history in it though. Not my favorite one of the series.
Stella♥
I read these books a million years ago and I decided to read this last one just for fun
Christine
you have to read it to find out
Cheryl Jetmore
Cheryl Jetmore marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Apr 06, 2015
Giselle Martínez♠️
Giselle Martínez♠️ marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Samantha Kirchner
Samantha Kirchner marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Meagan Lynn
Meagan Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jacque
Jacque marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 08, 2015
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Red Cap
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Tucket's Home (The Tucket Adventures, #5)
  • False Witness (Sister Agatha, #4)
  • Mystery of the Green Cat
  • The Old Gray Wolf
  • Girls to the Rescue #1 (Happily Ever After)
  • The Little Sparrows (The Orphan Trains Trilogy, #1)
  • Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition
  • Meg's Story (Portraits of Little Women)
  • Blue Rodeo
  • I Am Regina
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)
The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore The Other Side of Dark A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1) A Deadly Game of Magic The Séance

“To my way of thinking, the slavery issue is just an excuse to allow some people to do hateful things and feel righteous about it.” 6 likes