Start by marking “A Dangerous Promise” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Promise

A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
It's 1861, and although Mike Kelly is far younger than the legal age of 16, he and his best friend Todd secretly join up with the Second Kansas Infantry and become army drummer boys. Mike's dreams of glory end when he's wounded at the bloody Battle of Wilson's Creek and must begin a dangerous adventure behind enemy lines.
Published November 27th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Promise

Tracy
Mar 28, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, intricate look at life as a Civil War soldier. Mike Kelly, almost 13, runs away with his friend Todd in order to become a drummer boy. Throughout the book, Mike grows from a naive boy to a seasoned soldier as he tries to keep his promise to his fallen friend.
It is still a good read focusing on the horrors of war both on and off the battlefield.
Candace
A Dangerous Promise by Joan Lowery Nixon, continues the story of Michael Kelly. Michael was a member of the Orphan Train sent west from New York City with his 3 sisters and 2 brothers by their mother.

Mike was first adopted by some terrible people, but eventually he left that place and was taken in by Captain Joshua Taylor and his wife, Louisa. Mike lives in Ft Leavenworth, KS and when the Union Army needs soldiers, Mike decides (along with his good friend, Todd), that he's going to enlist. Troub
Sam Parry
In A Dangerous Promise the protagonist is a 12 year old boy who runs away to join the Union army. The plot of this book is very exiting with many close calls. Mike Kelly and his friend Todd are drummers in the Union army. Their first battle is at the Battle of Bull Run. Todd dies in Battle and Mike has to fullfill a promise to Todd. Mike has to return Todd's watch to his sister. An evil Confederate soilder steals the watch and Mike is forced to make a difficult adventure to reclaim the very soug ...more
Kate
Jan 08, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting book that urges you onward with every page. It has happy endings, but also has sad endings. Either way, I was fully content with what happened.
Gabriel
Aug 05, 2011 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years I forgot what this book was called. Thanks to the power of Google and Goodreads I have found it after at least nine years of searching. Just thinking of this book brings back other times, other times of sitting down on the floor of the children's section of the library, legs crossed and mind immersed in the pages that shaped me into the person I am today.

A Dangerous Promise was the first book to introduce me to the utter brutality and senselessness of war, and I highly recommended it.
War's never fun, and the boy in this book learns that the hard way, during the very harsh American civil war. At the beginning, he's thinking "adventure" and how he can help. He learns soon enough how wrong he is, and ages beyond his years to deal with it all. Many lessons in the book can also apply to today. The book left me wanting more at the end, which slightly surprised me, given the morose (war) material.
Duane
Sep 01, 2008 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues for Mike who is a past Orphan Train child. Mike wants to join the Union Army as a drummer and soon finds that all those dreams of fighting aren't anything like the reality of battle. Mike learns the glamour of battle isn't anything like the honesty of it. A great read for Civil War buffs.
Virginia
I love this series, but I especially liked this book because at the time I read it, I was on a Civil War kick. The story does have some heart wrenching scenes, but considering the setting, it would come across as rather fake if it didn't.
Jacque
May 16, 2015 Jacque rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We enjoyed this book and were so glad that momma Kelly was reunited with here children again-even if we were undecided on where we wanted the children to live! MD gave it 5 stars. CN 4, MK 3 stars.
Christina
This one was a little lacking in plot. I did like the civil War history in it though. Not my favorite one of the series.
Stella♥
Mar 31, 2013 Stella♥ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read these books a million years ago and I decided to read this last one just for fun
Christine
Oct 21, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you have to read it to find out
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 29, 2016
Annie Imboden
Annie Imboden marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Grainne O' Malley
Grainne O' Malley marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen added it
Jan 21, 2016
Jennifer Svensson
Jennifer Svensson marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kami Voboril
Kami Voboril rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Pipthepipes621
Pipthepipes621 marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Kathleen Foreman
Kathleen Foreman rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Red Cap
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Stealing Freedom
  • Tucket's Home (The Tucket Adventures, #5)
  • Silent Thunder
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • Earthway (Ella Clah, #14)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition
  • Mystery on the Isle of Skye
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • A Dead Man's Tale
  • His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)

“To my way of thinking, the slavery issue is just an excuse to allow some people to do hateful things and feel righteous about it.” 6 likes