Start by marking “My Pet Book” as Want to Read:
My Pet Book

My Pet Book

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Award-winning author-illustrator Bob Staake has created a rollicking picture book about a boy and his most unusual pet!

Most pets are cats and dogs, but what happens when a boy wants a different kind of pet, one that doesn’t meow or bark? Bob Staake’s exuberant tale of a little boy and the pet of his dreams will appeal to anyone whose best friends are . . . books! Books m
Published July 8th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Pet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Pet Book

Sara Grochowski
Bob Staake once again delights readers with his newest read aloud, MY PET BOOK. What kind of pet do you get when you don't care for puppy dogs and kittens make you sneezy? Why, a pet book of course! After all, pet books don't run away, they have no fleas, and they don't have to be fed. Inside, there are all sorts of tales sure to keep every owner occupied for hours. And, as our young book owner quickly learns, no matter how big or small, new or old, every book is a friend.
Read  Ribbet
Bob Staake's geometric style that was so memorable in the wordless picture book Bluebird returns to tell the story of a young boy who opts for a book as a pet. Cleverly told, the tale becomes a cautionary tale when the book is missing and then we see how important it is to match a book and its owner. It would be a good title to integrate into lessons on urgency and choice.
Callie Rose Tyler
I think that maybe this one just wasn't my cup of tea. The illustrations were colorful but I thought that the rhythmic writing and plot were somewhat unimaginative. The concept seemed like a set up for a funny offbeat story but I didn't get the humor and was a little bored.
Megan Ivy
This book is adorable. My girls absolutely loved the idea of a pet book, and that the boy had the book on a leash. The pictures are beautiful, bright, and bold. I will be taking this in to read to my Kindergarten class as well :-)
Amy Rae
This is a book with two things that annoy me about it and nothing that I really like.

First thing: The family in this book has a maid, which seems really unnecessary and stratifying to me. Her role could have been played by any absent-minded family member; an anachronistic maid (do people seriously still call housekeepers maids these days?) in an anachronistic domestic uniform isn't actually necessary.

Second thing: AFAICT, your choices in this book, as a person living in the illustrations, are t
Karen
I have a little boy who loves books. He takes books with him everywhere we go: In the car; to church; out to dinner; to my parents' house, etc. There are stacks of his books in every room of our house. He loves books almost as much as he loves his cat, Molly Kitten. And books, unlike Molly Kitten, have never destroyed a single doorframe.

It is easy to see how a child who loves books would love THIS book which is a silly and sweet love-letter to books. But beyond that, I think this delightful red
Jocelin
My interest in this story was peak by the Intel commercial featuring Bob Staake. The commercial shows his creative process of crafting a story with some very colorful animation thrown in as well. I loved the fact that he was reading his story to kids and they were really into it (commercial, I know actors). It was still cute. I have read other books that Mr. Staake was the illustrator on and he has a wonderful gift.
I think is my favorite book by him thus far. This is a children's book for ANYON
Barbara
This wonderfully silly tribute to young booklovers everywhere might be the perfect gift for the child that has everything he/she could ever want except for a pet--or perhaps, a new book. When the young boy in this picture book expresses interest in a pet, his parents agree and take him to a bookstore where he picks up the perfect one--"a frisky red hardcover!" (unpaged). As he goes about his day, the text and illustrations reveal many of the advantages to having a book for a pet. The two are jus ...more
Lynn
Even with the clue on the cover illustration, I missed the point that this would be about a pet that is a book! Being a librarian, I was thinking it would be a book about pets, such as a ‘horse book’ or an ‘adventure book’. I wonder how my students will interpret the title!
This is a great example of how fantasy makes the reader believe in the impossible. Staake builds a perfectly reasonable foundation and explanation for how the boy acquires a book for a pet. The introduction of the maid when
Allison
This book focuses on a little boy who wants a pet but doesn't really care for all the trouble a pet requires. His mother recommends a book as a pet and immediately he thought it was a perfect idea. He had a hard time only picking one. When he finally found it he couldn't put it down. He loved his new pet. His pet allowed him to imagine, explore, and be a part of the story. Then all of a sudden when he came from school one day, his book was gone. His maid accidentally took it to donate it to char ...more
Becky
The boy in this story has a book for a pet. It's not that his parents wouldn't allow a cat or a dog, but, that this boy really wanted a pet book. The premise is quirky and not without potential. For some readers, this one may prove completely charming.

My problem with the Pet Book was not the premise. I found the rhythm and rhyme to be a bit off or unnatural. The rhyming just didn't work for me. And it felt like it was the need to rhyme that was driving the book, the story. For example when the
Stephanie Croaning
This is one of those books that, since reading it, I want to make everyone around me read it too! It is that good! The book is dedicated to "every child who loves a special book." Told in rhyme, the story follows the special relationship between a boy and his pet book and all the special connections they share. At one point, the boy's mom asks him how a book could bring him such joy, and he replies, "It's cuz every book's a friend!"

This is a wonderful celebration of special books that can chang
Karin
Adorable book about a boy that doesn't want a typical pet. Instead, he decides to get a pet book. This book is so colorful and fun to read. Perfect for anyone who loves books and loves to read.
Kat B
Somewhere in a town called Smartytown there is a boy. While lots of people in the town have dogs and cats for pets not this boy. He has an item even stranger then a pet rock! A book! He has a pet book. Leave it to a boy in Smartytown to have a pet book.

Books make the perfect pet and there was never a report that any pet books have run away. Things take a turn for the worst when the book is lost!!!

To find out more about how a book makes a perfect pet visit The Banana Peel.
Venus
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Most pets are cats and dogs, but what happens when a boy wants a different kind of pet, one that doesn’t meow or bark? And so one boy decides to adopt a book, a bright red one. However, even pet books can go missing it seems.

This book was absolutely adorable, with fabulous illustrations and you know what I thought about the entire time? How ratty and tattered that poor book would be after a day of dragging it around the city. I know, silly, especial
Rebecca Honeycutt
This rhyming story didn't really grab me, despite the bookish content. (Perhaps reading it out loud would enhance the drama.) But it's still solidly good, filled with Staake's distinctively modern and frenetic illustrations, and it will appeal to kids who obsessively love a particular book.

Quibble: why a maid? How many families actually have maids? For a story that didn't really have (and didn't need) any socioeconomic context, the sudden appearance of the maid was jarring.
Cathy
If you're a reader you've had one - a pet book. You know the one you couldn't leave home without, the go-to read when nothing else will satisfy, the one you panic if you misplace, the one that falls open to your favorite pages. Maybe you still have one..... And now Bob Staake has given us a picture book about it. The rhyme is a little clunky in places but the story wins every single time. And you gotta love a kid that chooses a book as a pet.
Dustin
““A book would make a perfect pet!” / He heard his mother say. / And Dad had read that no pet book / Had ever run away.” Such a simple, sweet logic in this unique book continues to justify the boy’s decision to pick a pet book and love it as one might care for a puppy or cat. There are many other animals running amok in Staake’s amusing illustration, but the little red book is indeed the star. Best of all, this pet can open up the boy’s imagination as he reads the tales inside. Just when all see ...more
Gps
if you love books, you will very much enjoy this book…
I kept wondering what would happen on the next page, and the delightful story is told in rhyme.
the ending is not quite satisfactory, but just getting to the conclusion is great fun. a
an excellent read aloud book, with fantastic illustrations (spend some time pondering the humor in those), and a sparkling text. Bob Staake reels me in once again.
Debbie Tanner
This book is about a boy who wants a pet but doesn't want anything that sheds, needs to be walked or barks. So he decides he wants a book as a pet. He finds the perfect one and takes it home and loves it, but one day, it gets left on the floor and the maid accidentally puts it in the box of things to get rid of. Will he get his pet book back? It's a funny rhyming book that kids will get a big kick out of.
Bari
I purchased this book for the children's section of my library. I chose it for story time - children ages 3-5. The children thought the concept and story were funny and it easily captured and kept their attention.

The rhyming and repetitive text made this a good choice. Although the pictures are bright and colorful, I felt that the pages have to much going on.

Diane
"Most pets, you know are cats and dogs, go out and take a look.
But there's a boy in Smartytown whose is a little book."

The boy wants a pet that's easy to take care of and decides that a book suits him best. But when he comes home from school, the book is missing. Oh No! The maid has taken the book to Goodwill.
Allison
I loved, loved, loved.... wait, make that love, love, love Bluebird, so I was eagerly anticipating Bob Staake's next book, My Pet Book. But sometimes the anticipation and expectations are so huge, the reality is a letdown. NOT THIS TIME! Now I can also say I love, love, love My Pet Book. I think this line from the book says it best: "...every book's a friend." That message alone is enough to sell me, but I also love the illustrations, especially the bright colors and the New York City-inspired s ...more
Michael
As always, Bob Staake has created a bright, fun read for kids of all ages (even my age). Plus, if you're a book lover, which you probably are if you're a member of Goodreads, then you'l love the boy's devotion to his book, and all of the whimsical book-based illustrations!
Kalynda
Cute, cute book! Fun, colorful illustrations and such expressions! There is an instant bond to the main character that the shock of the tragedy caused me to gasp and say "oh no!" Great book for the start of a creative unit, especially for 1st-3rd. Fun.
Samantha
A rhyming tale in which boy adopts book as a pet over cats and dogs etc. Life is good until the book goes missing, but thinking like a typical pet help boy and book unite.

Digital artwork. The cadence of the text makes for a lively read aloud for PreK-2.
Heydi Smith
This is an interesting concept, a book as a pet.

I noticed an inconsistency: If a book has no feet how can it hide in a dog house or (at the end of the book) walk up the stairs?

I would use this book for story times about silliness or pets.
Margie
There are others though who would not be comfortable having a dog choose them. As a matter of fact, they prefer a pet rich and rare; unique only to them. Bob Staake's My Pet Book (Random House) is about such a boy.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1uIftTB
Poetry-Ficture-Picture Book, 2014, Grades PreK-2

This was a cute rhyming story about a boy deciding to choose a book for a pet. There were a few surprises in the storyline. The story touches on how fun books can be.
Ricki
I had so much fun reading this book with my son. We live in a house without animals at the moment, and it will take a while to convince my husband to adopt a pet. This book will come in handy! I loved the illustrations.
  • Uni the Unicorn
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • Telephone
  • The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky's Abstract Art
  • Naked!
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Hug Machine
Bob Staake has authored and/or illustrated more than forty-two books, including The Red Lemon, a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children’s Book of the Year. His work has graced the cover of The New Yorker a dozen times, and his November 17, 2008 Barack Obama victory cover was named Best Magazine Cover of the Year by Time magazine. He lives on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts.
More about Bob Staake...
Bluebird Look! A Book! The Donut Chef The Red Lemon Look! Another Book!