Start by marking “The Secret of the Key (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Key (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #4)

The Secret of the Key (Sixty-Eight Rooms #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  202 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Filled with magic, mystery, miniatures, and adventure, the Sixty-Eight Rooms is the perfect series for fans of Chasing Vermeer, The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and The Dollpeople!

Chicago sixth graders Ruthie and Jack think they’ve learned everything about the magic of the Art Institute’s Thorne Rooms. But the magic starts to act strangely when Ruthie and
Published July 22nd 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Key

Susan
Aug 06, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
To be fair, my rating would be a 2.5 but the fact that this series has so much that would normally recommend it to me that the fact that I'm lukewarm on it says something, I think.

In this series, two kids stumble upon a magical discovery that allows them to step into the miniature Thorne Rooms in the Art Institute and travel through time. In the final installment, Jack and Ruthie realize they are not the only travelers while simultaneously bumping up against some potentially problematic loophol
Fantasy Literature
The Secret of the Key appears to be the final book in Marianne Malone’s SIXTY-EIGHT ROOMS adventures. This children’s series has been a bit of a disappointment for me and the only reason I have continued with it is that I requested a review copy of the audiobook edition of this final book and so I felt obligated to read it. As I have noted previously, and as Bill and Kelly have mentioned, the premise is fabulous, but the execution falls short.

Feb 25, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The 4th book is out! Reading aloud to both big kids ...
Eoui
Oct 21, 2016 Eoui rated it liked it
It's a good series, the idea is interesting and the adventures are fun, but the stakes never feel high enough. Which is fine, I just wish there was more drawn out conflict.
Kat  Hooper
Oct 28, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook

Kat  Hooper
Oct 28, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

RumBelle
Feb 23, 2015 RumBelle rated it it was ok
This series is, in my view, starting to loose a little of it's luster. In the beginning the level of mystery and enchantment was so high, these books were magical. Now though at the end, they have become predictable and a little boring. In this installment Ruthie and Jack learn more about the magic of the Thorne Rooms, specifically how that magic relates to the key that lets them shrink. The story had some interesting elements, the variety of time periods the children visited for one, but mostly ...more
Wooden Horse
There are other books I should be reading since I already know I love this series but I had to read this anyway.
Several interesting topics mentioned for kids to explore further. The Boxer Rebellion, King Tut, 9/11, Harry Potter, WWII, "school" in the 17th century, fashion design, language, .... above all though is that Ruthie and Jack have to work together to get things done. I feel that constant reinforcement of teamwork, of needing others, is an imperative attribute to instill in kids today.
Kim Frakowski
Sep 15, 2015 Kim Frakowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad to see the end.

My boys and I had listened to the first three books on CD as we would travel between our home in Ohio and a friend's house in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay. Not having any where to travel for the fourth book, I along with one of the boys, read it on our Kindles. Really sad that these wonderful books have come to an end. Not only did they slip history into entertainment, they sparked the imagination to. Someday I will get back to Chicago and go visit the Thorne Rooms. Thank yo
Yapha
Nov 09, 2015 Yapha rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
In this fourth and final book in the Sixty-Eight Rooms series, Ruthie and Jack have some of their most dangerous adventures yet. They begin to find some things out of place in a few of the rooms, items that are not in the correct time period. But after finding a note from Mrs. Thorne inside a vase, they set out to discover a way to return the key to her. Along the way they visit a variety of time periods and solve another mystery. Recommended for fans of the series, grades 4-6. Others should ...more
Gail Shipley
Mar 08, 2015 Gail Shipley rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
I liked the book. The fact that the kids had to make some judgement calls to fix something and go against the advice of someone they trust for the greater good. I have been in a museum that had whole rooms full of miniature homes so I could relate to the book. I also liked the unusual time piece. Great adventure.
Lori
Aug 20, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
While the details of how Jack and Ruthie grow and shrink are eventually superfluous, my seven year old and I did enjoy the suspense and the weighty responsibility that become key elements (excuse the pun) of the book. Repetition of details aside, this was my favorite in the series.
Kate Zdenek
Nov 21, 2014 Kate Zdenek rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I love the Thorne Rooms and they are the first place I stop whenever I go to the Art Institute. This seems like the last book in the series. They were fun to read because of the connection with the Thorne Rooms
ReadingWench
I have loved this series since the 1st book was recommended to me by a friend. This 4th book in the series, and last, however was a bit disappointing. I liked the book up to the last chapter. It just seemed rushed and thrown together at the last minute. I rate this a 3.5.
erica
Jan 26, 2015 erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this for a library review. fourth book in a series, not totally stand alone but enough details for a smart reader to work out what went before. it was engaging and fun and unlike other kid books, nothing bad really happens
Diane
Aug 24, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: juv, series
I have really enjoyed the Sixty-Eight Rooms series. The time travel and Ruthie and Jack's experiences are interesting.
Maddie
Jan 09, 2015 Maddie rated it it was amazing
I gave it five stars because I could not put it down.I thought it was one of the better books in the series
Susan
Jul 14, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: slmta
Ruthie and Jack don't know the full extent of the magic. A letter they find from Narcissa Thorne, the woman who created the Thorne Rooms, puts everything into perspective.
Christyc
There's more worry in this one about the unintended consequences of time travel. It made me feel a bit anxious.
Selah
Feb 29, 2016 Selah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a while since we read the first 3 books in this series, and I found this installment quite confusing.
Josephine
Feb 10, 2015 Josephine rated it really liked it
I thought this book's plot was good and I am impressed that the author succeeds in making each book in this series different from previous ones.
Emyrose8
Feb 15, 2015 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
I had no idea there was a fourth book! This one seems to be the end of the series. Lots of action to keep you on the edge of your seat!
Jill Veenstra
Jill Veenstra rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Kate Ballard
Kate Ballard rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Dara Markowitz
Jan 26, 2016 Dara Markowitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Thorne room adventure.
Lena
Nov 16, 2014 Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sad the series ended!
Jazlyn
Jazlyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Megann
Megann rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Black Diamond Detective Agency
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • Mindscape (The Ability, #2)
  • Emily's Fortune
  • The Beatitudes: From Slavery to Civil Rights
  • Secrets of the Book
  • Fortune Falls
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • Revolver
  • The Experience of Place: A New Way of Looking at and Dealing with our Radically Changing Cities and Countryside
  • Under Plum Lake
  • On the Blue Comet
  • Gone to Amerikay
  • The Serpent's Curse (The Copernicus Legacy, #2)
  • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle
  • Lily (Lily, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)

Sixty-Eight Rooms (4 books)
  • The Sixty-Eight Rooms (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #1)
  • Stealing Magic (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #2)
  • The Pirate's Coin (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #3)