Start by marking “Ravensblood” as Want to Read:
Ravensblood

Ravensblood

In a life of impossible choices when sometimes death magic is the lesser of the evils, can a dark mage save the world and his own soul?

Corwyn Ravenscroft. Raven. The last heir of an ancient family of dark mages, he holds the secret to recreating the Ravensblood, a legendary magical artifact of immense power.
Cassandra Greensdowne is a Guardian. Magical law enforcement for t
Published October 31st 2013

To ask other readers questions about Ravensblood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravensblood

K. Lincoln
Mar 28, 2014 K. Lincoln rated it really liked it
3.5 stars actually.

An Urban Fantasy-esque story of mages in an alternate Portland, Oregon featuring "Guardians" trying to protect a mixed mundane and magical community from a dark mage bent on taking over the world.

Cass had the naivete and bad luck to apprentice herself to Corwyn Ravenscroft....a mage who ended up being one of William's (dark mage bent on taking over the world who tortures people for fun) right hand men. She got out in time, but now as a Guardian (magical beat cop ) responsible
Kelly Clare
Jan 31, 2015 Kelly Clare rated it really liked it
I liked the world Shawna Reppert has built in Ravensblood. The relationship between Cass and Raven is complex and the author has taken her time in developing it in this book which is always a major draw for me. I don't read too many mage books, but I'm now wondering if I should.
Mike
Well done, but I was hoping not to be hit so hard so soon with so much death and tragedy. Sometimes I find a dark fantasy I like - because the author gets me invested in a noble character early on and only then springs the darkness - but this is not one of those, and so not to my taste.
Barb Taub
Jun 27, 2015 Barb Taub rated it it was amazing
In each book of the Ravensblood series, author Shawna Reppert ticks off a laundry list of time-honored gothic novel elements, but subtly makes them her own:

*Orphaned young heroine, family members who’ve met untimely deaths. Despite her revered family name, orphaned Cassandra Greensdown, the primary focus of Book 1, struggles to overcome her past association as apprentice and lover to dark mage Corwyn Ravenscroft. But it is the also-orphaned Raven—whose mistreatment because of his dark family le
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was impressed with the quality of Shawna Reppert’s writing. It was clean and showed a level of sophistication I didn’t expect from an indie author. It goes to prove that more and more skilled writers are going the direction of self-publication.

The story revolves around Cass, a Guardian who has a shady history because she, years
Gordon A.  Long
Dec 07, 2014 Gordon A. Long rated it it was amazing
A whole lot of people are going to like this one. Whether you’re into Romance, Urban Fantasy, or ordinary Fantasy, this novel has something for you. Trust me. Hey, it’s even a cop story, if you like that sort of thing.

“Ravensblood” is the story of Cass, a very mixed up young Guardian who has turned away from the evil of Dark Magic, represented by her former mentor and lover, Corwen Ravenscroft. She has tried to become a decent member of society and a policewoman to boot. She is fighting her way
Loren Weaver
Ravensblood is book one in the Ravensblood Trilogy by Shawna Reppert. The story is set in an urban fantasy world full of magic and mayhem, but its got cop influences and a dash of romance to really round out the book and make it unique.

Cassandra is a Guardian, or a magical policeman. In her world, Art, Craft, and Mundanes all collide to form a magic-filled universe with a lot of danger potential. She's working through a lot of ignorant suspicion in her job, but she's stubborn. I think that's wha
MaykenAlanna
Oct 15, 2014 MaykenAlanna rated it it was amazing
Ravensblood was my first taste of adult urban fantasy. It is set in a parallel world where the Three Communities (Art, Craft and Mundane) live side by side in a sort of uneasy peace, a number of years after a brutal and devastating mage war ended. There is still a powerful dark mage, WIlliam. He lives in hiding, plots for world domination, and surrounds himself with talented, corruptible mages to achieve his aim. Raven is one of them.
Ravensblood is the story of how he tries to escape William's c
Cathy Geha
Jul 28, 2015 Cathy Geha rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced action-packed urban fantasy that was a very exciting read!

In an alternate universe that has Portland, Oregon as its capitol live people divided into Crafts, Arts and Mundane. Guardians are there to keep everyone safe after the last Mage Wars. There is an evil mage with his followers that need to be dealt with and the Guardians are doing their best to do just that. The main characters in the book are: Raven, a dark mage; Cass, once his apprentice but now a Guardian; William – the evil
Melanie
Apr 13, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
*This Book Was Given To Me By The Author In Exchange For An Honest Review*

Ravensblood is the first book I have read by new to me author Shawna Reppert but it definitely won't be the last! Although listed as Urban Fantasy this book really is a mesh of many genres and I would imagine it appealing to a broad spectrum of readers.

Edging towards the darker side of things the imagery, characters, and world in this story are very well developed and the story moves at a swift pace making it very easy to
Jennifer Reed
Jun 08, 2015 Jennifer Reed rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book by the Author for an honest review.

RAVENSBLOOD is a great mix of fantasy, romance and action. The characters and story line are very well-developed. Cassandra is a guardian and is part of the light mages. Raven is a dark mage and once had Cassandra as an apprentice and lover. Now Cassandra is trying to get past what she had done with Raven in the past. With Williams rise in power of the dark mages, they must stop him. Raven comes to Cassandra wanting to leave Will
Nicole Luiken
Aug 27, 2015 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it
Read in one day. I was strongly hooked from chapter two on, basically from the moment Raven stepped onto the page. (Not that I didn't like Cassandra, too, but I found Raven fascinating.) A complex character struggling for redemption and instead pushed into the gray world and hard moral choices facing a spy. Strong tension, lots of plot twists and turns, and an interesting world with three communities Art, Craft and Mundane intersecting. The romance element was of the slow-burn type as Cass and R ...more
Teri
Sep 20, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. WOW is the first impression. So many things happen in this book that get you hooked and completely apart of the story and emotions and excitement. The writer did an excellent job of bringing out a wide range of emotions and using them to introduce you to the characters and pull for them as they take on William a Dark Mage. Awesome book can't wait for the next of the series.
Brandi Nyborg
Jul 24, 2015 Brandi Nyborg rated it it was amazing
Ravensblood is a fast-paced paranormal thriller filled with magic and action, from the first page to the last. It has intelligent, and believable characters. I also really enjoyed the author's writing style. It flowed perfectly and keep me wanting more. I'm looking forward to picking up the rest of the series to see what happens next!
Stohelit
A straightforward, well-written detective-story in a magical setting. This book merges a classic tale about criminal investigators with a fantasy setting of mages that live in a mundane society... or rather a three part society of magic, craft, and mundane citizens. I like the world the author has envisioned here and can imagine more interesting stories in it.
Melissa
Aug 21, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This was a good compelling story. It was one that I read in one sitting. The author has a unique style that pulls you in, but the flawed characters keep you. This is a great start to a series.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via LibraryThing.
Eleri Stone
Feb 18, 2014 Eleri Stone rated it it was amazing
An Urban Fantasy that's heavy on the Fantasy side. Interesting politics and magic system. Tortured hero. Good stuff!
Jack Mort
Jack Mort rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Linda Johnson
Linda Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Tobia
Tobia rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Akela
Akela rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Jenny Schwartzberg
Jenny Schwartzberg rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Janet Logan
Janet Logan rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Madison Keller
Madison Keller rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Korin
Korin rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Tiina
Tiina rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Jae
Jae rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
From earliest childhood, Shawna Reppert has had a passion for stories-- for reading them and for writing them. She obtained a BA in English with a Writing Option from Penn State University and has participated in numerous writing workshops and seminars given by the likes of Charles de Lint, David Farland and Elizabeth Lyon. Two of her stories have won honorable mentions from Writers of the Future. ...more
More about Shawna Reppert...