Start by marking “Ruby Lee and the Very Big Deal” as Want to Read:
Ruby Lee and the Very Big Deal

Ruby Lee and the Very Big Deal

Ruby Lee has a problem. A very BIG problem. She has won a so-called "prize" in her school: to read her essay in front of her entire smallish town. Except that Ruby has a bad case of stage fright. Help comes in the guise of her eccentric Great Aunt Alice, who may-or may not-have been a starlet in the golden age of film. Great Aunt Alice floats between two worlds: day-to-day ...more
Published October 18th 2013 by Tru Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Lee and the Very Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Lee and the Very Big Deal

Mygsasha
Aug 23, 2014 Mygsasha rated it really liked it
I was surprised by this book. I did not think I would have such good advices. Even for adults are tips that come right.
I love the last one.
Dallis
Oct 18, 2016 Dallis rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book with my daughter right before she had to give a speech for school. Great advice for child and adult alike.
Barbara Ann
Sep 28, 2014 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it

RubyLee,pic

Ruby Lee is a fifth grade student who has just won a contest. The problem is the prize she had hoped to gain was not something she wanted; it was to deliver a speech about her town at the first event ever held to celebrate life in Ruby’s town. Her friends and family congratulate her, but Ruby is terrified. The only time she had appeared on stage at age six had been a disaster because she had forgotten all her lines! Ruby wishes she could vanish into thin air.

Great Aunt Alice comes to
Lisa Tortorello
Jun 15, 2014 Lisa Tortorello rated it it was amazing
Ruby Lee is a fifth grade student who won a prize, but being asked to read her winning essay in front of the whole town seemed anything but a prize to her. On top of that, Ruby's old, peculiar aunt is now living with her and her family. Aunt Alice says she used to be in the movies and was quite well-known in her day, but no one could prove or disprove that.

Aunt Alice loved to tell stories of the days "way back when" about the stars she worked with in her career (real or imagined), and Ruby polit
Whymsy Likes Books
Oct 01, 2014 Whymsy Likes Books rated it liked it
Shelves: rewiewed
This review first appeared on Whymsy Likes Books.

This nice and age appropriate story focuses on Ruby’s fear of public speaking; a very identifiable problem, and something we all have to face at some point. Ruby’s Great Aunt Alice clearly explains how important this skill is and gives great - useful in the real world - advice. I loved that Ms. Buffington uses the dementia ridden Great Aunt to help out Ruby. I think as a society we are prone to overlook the wisdom and guidance our elderly can give
Ellen
May 27, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
I was impressed with this little story. Others have tried to tackle the stage-fright issue, but this one actually gives great advice in context of the story. No "picture people in their underwear" here. Ruby has written an award-winning essay, but is very nervous to have to read it in front of everyone. Her sweet, great-aunt comes to the rescue. Weaving in her advice with bits and pieces of actual theatrical history, she inspires Ruby to go out there and give it her all. Although young readers ...more
Andy Johnson
Mar 31, 2014 Andy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Great book on overcoming the fear of public speaking. It's not just for children. Nancy includes a very helpful list of Great Aunt Alice's Nine Secrets that will help you with your public speaking. Very well written and enjoyable to read.
Mary Smith
May 10, 2014 Mary Smith rated it really liked it
Ruby Lee and her Great Aunt Alice overcome Ruby Lee's fear of public speaking with nine secret steps. It's not just for children. Nancy includes a very helpful list of Great Aunt Alice's Nine Secrets that will help anyone with public speaking. Very cute story and fun to read.
Joycelyn Rawlins
Sep 30, 2014 Joycelyn Rawlins rated it it was amazing
Very nice book with a lesson

I love that included in the story was a lesson applicable to the reader. I wanted to take notes as I read and was pleasantly surprised that theories were provided at the end of the story. Great read for any age.
Nikki
Oct 04, 2014 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, i-own-this
I don't have kids, but I never stopped liking kids books. This one had a great message, but I didn't feel it was too well written.
Kara
May 13, 2014 Kara rated it really liked it
I only read this because it was a free Kindle download. Very cute and well written for a middle reader.
Judy Hines Billings
Judy Hines Billings rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Haley Kent
Haley Kent rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Sakshi
Sakshi rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Lesliemj
Lesliemj rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Tanni
Tanni rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
sylvia trevino
sylvia trevino rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Michelle baker
Michelle baker rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Aubree Bowling
Aubree Bowling rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Janel
Janel rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
norm groux
norm groux rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Cynthia Daniels-Hall
Cynthia Daniels-Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Philip Teravskis
Philip Teravskis rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Paula Naugle
Paula Naugle rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Cindy
Nov 28, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Love her aunt! She gave some good advice too.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
LAKESHA GRAYSON
LAKESHA GRAYSON rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014