Start by marking “Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)

Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie #2)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  763 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Kevin and Sadie just want to be together, but it's not that simple. Things are bad in Belfast. Soldiers walk the streets and the city is divided. No Catholic boy and Protestant girl can go out together - not without dangerous consequences . . . The second of Joan Lingard's ground-breaking Kevin and Sadie books
Published by Puffin (first published January 2nd 1973)

Roxanne
Jan 27, 2009 Roxanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book in year 9 in class and again reading in a group (seriously did they not trust us reading by ourselves?) Anyways i just remember being given this book as everyone else was reading Romeo and Juliet but our teacher must have been sick of that so we got given this book. I remember being totally bored to tears with this book and constantly wondering why we were been made to read it, and i thought the pace was slow and nothing really happened and it was mainly sadie and kevin e ...more
Stok29
Feb 01, 2015 Stok29 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked it! I had expected it to be a bit boring, and my friends didn't like it at all. but it surprised me how much I actually liked it!! :D
Maria
Mar 02, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy and enjoyable read that allows you to transport yourself into northern ireland in the early 70's . The content will never age, religious/ racial intolerance, political unrest, freedom to make your own choices and romeo & juliet romance. I gave this book to my teen and she loves it as much as I did at her age. Sadi , Kevin and their families ignited my interest in Irish history, religion and language.
Geraldine
Aug 19, 2015 Geraldine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-years-ago
GoodReads has recommended this as a result of my having logged a Jilly Cooper book, which I don't understand.

But seeing the brief blurb about this has brought it all back from many years ago. I've put this down as 1982 read, a rough approximation of the early to mid teens. This made a deep impact on me at the time, and there's a little bit about it I have carried around ever since. I read it so long ago I can no longer most of the plot, but I am certain it has influenced some of my outlook on li
Nicola
Jul 31, 2014 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Across the Barricades was one of my favorite books as a child. Re-reading it as an adult has brought on such a wave of emotions. I know that this book effected me. It helped shape me and my beliefs. It encouraged me to look at the situation here in Northern Ireland from the viewpoint of everyone - to not just blindly follow everyone else on my side of the divide. I know this that it was used a lot as set reading in schools across the country over the years and many people resented being forced t ...more
Phoebe
Oct 27, 2014 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Sadie and Kevin was a very sweet and honest one. The troubles they, their families, their streets, and subsequently their city (Belfast) was facing were depicted very believable, honest, and without drawing conclusions or putting blame on anybody.
It is a book depicting everyday life in Northern Ireland back in the days when Protestants and Catholics were regularly fighting each other. It is about the everyday life of folk, who just want to life in peace and have everyone mind their
Romel
Jan 05, 2015 Romel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like a strong storyline :)

This isn't an epic read or something that you put on your must-read/ bucket list...but Joan manages a great balance enough to have you very curious about the characters and a slice of life in strife ridden Ireland to want you to read the series at least a couple of times!

I definitely fell in love with the heart of all our characters especially Brede and Sadie :)

Thanks for these Joan...they've been fascinating!
Sweetp-1
Book club May/June.

I only had a very basic understanding of "the troubles" so found the book interesting from that perspective as there were things I looked up after seeing them mentioned.
This is YA but really could be middlegrade as there is little adult content and a lot of the conflict and historical background is skimmed over. It was an Ok read but lacked depth and most of the action took place off screen which meant that a lot of the time it feels like nothing is happening.
Tuija
Jan 02, 2015 Tuija rated it it was ok
Teini-ikäinen antaisi ehkä paremman arvosanan... Olen lukenut kirjan joskus teini-ikäisenä suomeksi, mutta nyt tartuin kirjaan englanniksi, koska en muistanut lukeneeni sitä. Lukemiseen innosti elokuva '71, joka kertoo Pohjois-Irlanninnin tilanteesta 70-luvun alussa. Kieli on yksinkertaista ja helppolukuista myös suomenkieliselle.
Abbie Norris
Jun 25, 2008 Abbie Norris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes romance
Recommended to Abbie by: Teacher
I really liked this book, it was really nice to read. It wasnt full on and was just abiout right for my reading skills. It told me alot about Ireland and how people had to sneek out to see there friends that were different religions.
The pepole must had found it vrey hard to understand what to do and how to cope with all the killing and fighting. Many people lost there lives when they were fighting for there Faith. I liked this book alot as it was very romantic and emotional as people that came v
Rachel
Mar 13, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, a, female-author
A bit like a modern day Romeo and Juliet, set in Belfast during the 1980’s when violence was prominent, aimed very much towards a teenage audience, with short sentences and no overly difficult language. It has some very twee moments, but also some very sad ones such as the deaths of people who try to ignore the religions and help whoever they felt needed to be helped.

It highlighted well the religious and social cultures of different groups (many of which are inherited), as well as the similarit
Annette Jordan
A re read of a book I read many years ago for school. It is a little more clichéd than I remember but over all it holds up pretty well. It is a YA book that encourages the reader to look at religious sectarianism from both sides and gives a good idea of what living in a divided city like Belfast in the days of the Troubles.
amie-jay ensor
Jun 25, 2008 amie-jay ensor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Romance
Recommended to amie-jay by: Mrs.Shields
I really enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't really hard to read and most of it was quite easy to understand! I really helped me understand what it was like in Ireland at that time to have a friend that was a different religion to you. It must have been very hard knowing that you could be killed, just for being with your best friend of a different religion. I liked this book because it was a romance and because most of the main charachters had different views on Kevin and Sadies' relationship. ...more
Luke
Oct 13, 2011 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Across the barricades is a good example of a novel that you can learn from with love,emotion,compotition,action and some brain teasers.the book starts as a simple story with two main characters kevin and sadie who are unfortunatly on different sides of culture where there is a seperation between catholics and prodistants and kevin and sadie cannot fall in love because of this seperation but there is more that meets the eye in this small quiet town.

I would recommend this book to people who like t
Olivia
Nov 13, 2015 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this for school. OMG, I can't belive they made me read the second book in a series when I haven't read the first one!
Sam
Apr 08, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in school but recently re-read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is based in Belfast during the Troubles and tells the story of two kids who are on different sides of the sectarian divide, whose relationship blossoms when it shouldn't. Very much a modern Northern Irish twist on the traditional Romeo and Juliet story, the book is aimed at young adults but can be enjoyed by readers of any age. The characters are well written and the story manages to focus on the story betwe ...more
Hevarrrr Morgan
Jun 25, 2008 Hevarrrr Morgan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: yonge adults or people that like romances
Recommended to Hevarrrr by: teacher Mrs Shields
Well at the start i thought the book was REALLY boring but then i seemed to get into it quite alot because it became more exciting soo i enjoyed it more.
i think that in the middle of this book it was very tragic because neither of their familys really aproved of them bein more than friends because of their religious sides.
But they thought that if another family in there vuillage could do it so caould they so this made me want to read more and more because i wanted to see what happened next!
I was
Lorraine
Aug 02, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read these books in the 1980's and used them towards my cse English exam; was thoroughly hooked.
Helen Parkes
Aug 09, 2014 Helen Parkes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Read this in high school and loved it would live too read it again
C
Dec 28, 2015 C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 'Romeo & Juliet' appropriation set in Northern Ireland.
Deborah
I read this when I was 11 for English class, and decided to give it another go 19 years later after somebody mentioned it recently. It was quite good, and definitely a better read now than it was at 11. My English teacher, was English, and all my classmates were English so whenever a Northern Irish student started in his class he liked to use this as reading material, I think in the vain hope that we could really related to the characters. I couldn't relate, my area was nice and quite and mixed. ...more
Liv
Oct 10, 2015 Liv rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
3 words... It was terrible
Tina
Mar 13, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a
good
Pearl
Dec 20, 2013 Pearl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a set work in high school for my children. For me, it was a chilling reminder of the Belfast about which there were almost daily reports in the news during my childhood; the Belfast that my Irish friend used to recount. However, take this scenario of intolerance to religious beliefs and translate it to intolerance towards race and you have a perfect understanding as to why this is a set work in South African schools.
Tanya
Nov 02, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-a-child
I had the privilage of meeting Joan Lingard when see came to my school in the late 80's as we were reading all the Kevin and Sadie series, a very lovely lady.
I grew up with watching the troubles on the news so I had a teenagers understanding of the back drop to theses characters background's and the danger's that such an alliance in those days could cause.
A excellent series full of young hope.
Jacqui
A romance exploring what happens when two people fall in love from enemy camps. A Romeo and Juliet type situation (but with a happier ending - spoiler alert!). It made me contemplate mindsets amongst people groups vs their enemies and the irrationality of our anger toward others different then ourselves so it lingered with me for a while after finishing it.
David Lean
Nov 23, 2011 David Lean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Across The Barricades is a story of romance, action and adventure. This novel is a book about two old, Irish friends who are separated at a young age as their groups are the fiercest of enemies, the protestants and the catholics. Despite this they risk their lives to meet together regulaly and grow more fond of each other every time they are together.
Hollie..x.
Jun 25, 2008 Hollie..x. rated it liked it
I thought that this book was quite intresting,but it was a bit predictable. I could tell that it wasnt a very new book as some of the words were old fashioned and i didnt understand them. Some parts of the book were a bit boring and some were good however i thought that there was a pretty good ending.
Cindy
Apr 13, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a really sweet story. I liked the chemistry between Sadie and Kevin, but that's about it actually. There wasn't much happening and I just couldn't make sense of it? Well, it was actually a homework to read the book, but it really wasn't that bad. The way it's written is really good!
penelopewanders
Dec 08, 2010 penelopewanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like this may be the second in the series, reading to see if I should use it with a class.

Very good read, looks like a good one to do with a class. I'll have to investigate the previous one in the series and decide if it's better to use that one.
  • The Shadow Guests
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • In Lane Three, Alex Archer (Alex Archer, #1)
  • The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)
  • Medea
  • Brother in the Land
  • Jan, mein Freund
  • Strange Objects
  • Dougy (The Gracey Trilogy #1)
  • Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #1)
  • By the River
  • Tulku
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Foxspell
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • The Wool-Pack
  • The scarecrows
Lingard has written novels for both adults and children. She is probably most famous for the teenage-aimed Kevin and Sadie series, which have sold over one million copies and have been reprinted many times since.

Her first novel Liam's Daughter was an adult-orientated novel published in 1963. Her first children's novel was The Twelfth Day of July (the first of the five Kevin and Sadie books) in 197
More about Joan Lingard...

Kevin and Sadie (5 books)
  • The Twelfth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie, #1)
  • Into Exile (Kevin and Sadie, #3)
  • A Proper Place (Kevin and Sadie, #4)
  • Hostages to Fortune (Kevin and Sadie, #5)