Start by marking “Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Volume 1

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Volume 1 (Star Trek: Gold Key Archives)

Boldly going... where it all started! Presenting the first comic book adventures of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her crew! Fully remastered and under a new throwback cover, Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Volume 1 collects issues #1-6.
Published April 15th 2014 by IDW Publishing (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Gavin
Mar 19, 2015 Gavin marked it as to-read
I started this, and in the intro, was told that the writer and artists never saw a single episode of Star Trek before penning these 6 stories...I started to read, just to give it a chance. But it was just so off tone, wrong characterization, I couldn't get over it. Also, there are green shirts and blue shirts. No red, and no gold. Spock was totally off, and in respect for the late Mr. Nimoy I just stopped there.

It might be decent 60s sci-fi if they just dropped the Trek link, but I just wasn't f
Michael
Mar 10, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Ab 1967, ein Jahr nach dem Start der Fernsehserie STAR TREK, erschienen die ersten gleichnamigen Comics, geschrieben von Dick Wood und gezeichnet von Navio Zaccara (#1 u. 2) und Alberto Giolitti (#3-6). Da die Zeichner nur Fotos der Serie kannten und Wood mit der Terminologie der Serie nicht vertraut war, dürfte der Sammelband für echte Trekkies eine Enttäuschung sein. Die Figuren haben nur entfernte Ähnlichkeit mit den Schauspielern und sprechen anders.

Sehr gut getroffen ist hingegen die unbed
Carmelo Rafala
Oct 28, 2014 Carmelo Rafala rated it really liked it
When you understand the artists from 1967 had only a few stills from the series to go by, you can get beyond the incorrect use of terminology and weird characterisations. They used terms like "rockets", and Kirk says some weird expressions, Spock is not so logical and the Enterprise is going from galaxy to galaxy rather then exploring our own.

Despite all this, it is a fun romp and these comics possess a nice pulpy feeling. (Not that TOS was pulpy, but I kinda of like these early comics, regardl
Mike K
Jan 06, 2016 Mike K rated it liked it
This collection is hilarious. Any real Trek fan will probably hate it. The tone is all wrong, there's no continuity with the shows or movies, and the characters are decidedly not the characters we know.

That said, it's wonderful for the cheesy yesteryear sci-fi aspect that drew me to the original series in the first place. Think of it as some alternate timeline Trek stories, or forget that it's Trek at all.
Erika
Oct 12, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
Bought this on a total whim, as I'm not a huge comics reader (or is it graphic novel now?). Not exactly what I expected, as these stories are a bit of a departure from TOS, but I did enjoy the stories and the graphic nature and colors of the art. Will definitely read again!
Steven Shinder
Sep 09, 2016 Steven Shinder rated it it was ok
This is interesting as a historical study of what the early Trekspanded Universe looked like. These stories were written by someone who hadn't watched the show, and it shows. As such, these stories feel odd. Kirk and Scotty sometimes don't REALLY look like Kirk and Scotty. Heck, Scotty was wearing green. What's up with that? A couple of these stories have endings that feel too bleak for The Original Series, and there is some reliance on destruction as a solution.
Andrew
Have you ever wondered what Star Trek comics from the 1960's look like? What if they were written by people who hadn't actually seen The Original Series? Doesn't that sound special?

This is the most ridiculous Star Trek comic I have ever read. The command crew wears green instead of yellow, the characterizations are way off (I'm fairly certain that Spock wouldn't say "Shades of Pluto! I think I have the answer!"), the Enterprise has a periscope on the bridge and rocket engines in the nacelles, an
Thomas
Jan 03, 2015 Thomas rated it did not like it
I appreciate the historical value of this trade: these issues were originally published during the original run of Star Trek, and the creators behind these comics had only a few still photographs and brief descriptions to go on when writing these stories.

That said, the stories are only tangentially related to the Star Trek we know and love. Even by the midpoint of the first season of the TV series, it had a clear voice and clear message. These comics are simple time-filling fluff, designed to ca
Rich Meyer
Jan 08, 2016 Rich Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
An excellent reprint volume of a series I didn't think would ever get a high-end treatment; it may be Star Trek, but these tales are so far askew of the basics of the original series that they have no way to fit into any part of the canon. That's because the writers and artists, capable though they may have been, weren't given much information beyond a series synposis and some still photos.

Still, these stories are fun and entertaining, and well on the par for Gold Key's other licensed titles (l
Stefan
Jan 04, 2016 Stefan rated it liked it
the comics as such are a great fun and worthy as a historical document - but as mentioned in the foreword the authors didn't watch a single episodes of star trek and thus the characters as well as the language are off at times. Keep that in mind and don't expect much resemblens with the tv-series we know and love and you will have fun. Maybe some of the weirdest star trek comics out there!
Erik
Sep 13, 2014 Erik rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2014
I get that the dude who wrote this only had some photos to work off and was shown no episodes, but the characterizations and terms used (plus the neon coloring) are so off-putting I can't rate it any higher
Mario
Aug 09, 2016 Mario rated it liked it
These late 60s comics were the first ones to be published about Star Trek, and they show so. Poor likeness to the actors, strange dialogue, and situations that do not portray the current ethos of the franchise. However, they are entertaining, and shows us a long gone past in comic book history.
Gautam Goenka
Gautam Goenka rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2016
Metod Rybár
Metod Rybár rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Simone C
Simone C rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Crystal Bensley
Crystal Bensley rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Johan Kjellstrom
Johan Kjellstrom rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Matthew Rushing
Matthew Rushing rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Jonas Eckerman
Jonas Eckerman rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2014
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
GARY W ROBERSON
GARY W ROBERSON rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
James Guenther
James Guenther rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Jukka Särkijärvi
Jukka Särkijärvi rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2016
Heather Elsea
Heather Elsea rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Mark
Apr 20, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-comics
Trek at its weirdest! These Gold Key Star Trek comics are awesome and very nicely remastered.
Rod
Rod rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives (5 books)
  • Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Volume 2