Start by marking “Love Is Letting Go of Fear” as Want to Read:
Love Is Letting Go of Fear

Love Is Letting Go of Fear

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,749 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Psychiatrist Gerald Jampolsky's timeless message may be even more timely today - the only thing that stands between us and the awesome energy of love is fear. To live without fear, we must stop analysing it, stop agonising over it, stop fighting with it, and let it go.
Published April 13th 2004 by Celestial Arts (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Letting Go of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is Letting Go of Fear

Lee Harmon
Jan 19, 2011 Lee Harmon rated it it was amazing
This book is not the usual type of selection for a religion blog, is it? I’m not sure God is even mentioned in the book. But Love is, and God is Love, right? For all you Bible scholars out there, we shouldn’t get so wrapped up in our fascinating scholarly pursuits that we forget the reason for our religion in the first place.

At the risk of over-analyzing a simple book with a simple message, I confess it struck a chord with me partly because of my recent studies in the Gospel of John. Here’s why:
Mark Adams
Jul 22, 2010 Mark Adams rated it it was amazing
Fear lives in us all. Reading this book helps me overcome many senseless worries. I went from shy to a public speaker using this book.

I read it often and refer it to everyone. We all have a fear that limits us from our potential success.
Luminea
Long before The Secret was trendy, this little book presented the idea that our thoughts create our reality, and that what we expect from life is what we get. These are powerful concepts and revolutionary ideas, especially for the time of the original publication date. There are parts of this book that I struggle with, probably because these are lessons that I need to focus on, like fully accepting and forgiving people in my life who have repeatedly hurt me, and choosing to view them as inherent ...more
Tom
Jun 15, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing
This book fell into my hands at a Cancer Society yard sale last month. I thumbed through it and noticed the theme of staying in the present moment and focusing on the "Now". I've been working on "The Power of Now" for months, and I intend to master the concepts and break some of my thought patterns that I've learned to think of as habits.

"Love Is Letting Go of Fear" was published in the late seventies and I found myself relieved to follow Jampolsky's approach to the Now at what I've been callin
Gena Tarrell
May 26, 2014 Gena Tarrell rated it liked it
Talks about letting go of fear to truly love and live. Quick read. Liked one paragraph particularly about forgiveness:

"The unforgiving mind, contrasted with the forgiving mind, is confused, afraid, and full of fear. It is certain of the interpretation it places on its perceptions of others. It is certain of the justification of its anger and the correctness of its condemning judgment. The unforgiving mind rigidly sees the past and future as the same and is resistant to change. It does not want t
Peter Bourdeau
Mar 04, 2009 Peter Bourdeau rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone seeking to have peace of mind
Jack Canfield, the Chicken Soup Guy, states that his primary aim is to feel and experience joy. Doctor Jampolsky details what Canfield is referring to in this seminal work.

Jampolsky states that our primary goal ought to be Peace of Mind. The good Doctor then explains how we can achieve this aim by forgiving ourselves and others.

Read it a couple of times and see if it makes sense for you.

Eric
Aug 06, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of good information in here regarding love vs fear. Simply put, when we have fear, we are not loving.
One section of this book which kind of blew my mind went something like this:

"When we perceive another person as attacking us we usually feel defensive, and find a way, directly or indirectly, to attack back. Attacking always stems from fear and guilt. No one attacks unless he first feels threatened and believes that through attack he can demonstrate his own strength, at the expen
Connie Howell
Jul 14, 2015 Connie Howell rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I have read this book. The first time was many years ago. I loved it then and I love it now. It is a beautiful book,practical and doable and we re given personal examples from Gerry about how he overcame some of his difficult challenges.
Linda
Oct 25, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
I read this in a day. Was pretty standard. Gave some good reminders, but nothing groundbreaking.
Hollis
Mar 08, 2010 Hollis rated it it was amazing
Gerald Jampolsky has greatly simplified some of the essential ideas in A Course in Miracles.
Wendy Barton
Jul 06, 2012 Wendy Barton rated it it was amazing
A MUST read for all... simple and to the point! Jerry is a friend and great writer... Enjoy!
Michelle
I read this book based on a recommendation from a book (You've Got to Read This Book!) and based on the highly positive reviews it has received. The principles that Dr. Jampolsky highlights are certainly not ground-breaking but he really gets the message across in this very quick, little book that includes some cartoons to illustrate his points.

This is probably one of those little jems that everyone could afford to read once. It's essentially a primer - boiling down a lot of the "self-help" conc
Susan
Jul 14, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My therapist suggested that I read this little gem of a book. It was written over 30 years ago and I can still see why people still use the tools to put in their psychological tool bag. All humans are gripped with fear in our lives but the simple premise of this book is that if you have fear in you heart how can you love. Fear then becomes your driving force for you to manifest ways of not being able to forgive yourself or others. The author states that Fear and Love can not coexist at the same ...more
Monica Long
Aug 11, 2016 Monica Long rated it liked it
I would totally give this book 5 stars, and maybe I'm being too tough a critic, but I'm left thinking it's all good and great to follow all his lessons, but should we love and accept everyone? Ok that's a bad question but if my husband is a serial cheater or my kids are completely disrespectful, I kept asking myself how I can reconcile the two. This book has awesome insight and will definitely help me but I thought he could have at least added a few words about when boundaries need to be set. Th ...more
AnnMarie Latimer
Sep 17, 2015 AnnMarie Latimer rated it it was amazing
a quote from the book: "Many of our attempts to correct others, even when we believe we are offering constructive criticism, are really attempts to attack them by demonstrating their wrongness and our rightness." Quote from: Love Is Letting Go Of Fear by Gerald G. Jampolsky, M.D.

I found this book very insightful and helpful to understand a new way of looking at our own actions and thoughts.
Michaela
Dec 05, 2014 Michaela rated it really liked it
I did not expect to have this happen with this book, but it helped me let go of a grudge I've been holding for two years, which was making me sick even physically. Definitely a nice set of rules to live by, I am applying this wherever and whenever I can, it really makes life easier.
Daron
Sep 10, 2012 Daron rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. It taught me a lot about love and forgiveness. It helps me to love the small and simple joys of life.
Tlovesbooks
Feb 20, 2010 Tlovesbooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone seeking spiritual enlightenment
The author is quick to point out that he is not speaking of romantic love. This book discusses the love and understanding that can be applied to everyone within and outside of your social circle.
Sandra
Dec 16, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!
Came right at the exact moment that I needed to learn something important.
Karlyle Tomms
Feb 22, 2015 Karlyle Tomms rated it it was amazing
This book got me through the 1980's. It is simple, to the point self help that makes sense.
Marla
Jun 25, 2011 Marla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho hum
Jessica Christian
Jan 21, 2017 Jessica Christian rated it really liked it
I came across this book at the perfect time. After recently moving halfway across the country to be with my partner I was experiencing a lot of grief, sadness, and started relying on fear to get me through my days. I started to really tear my relationship apart with my fear based thinking. I finally had enough of the way I was living and decided to start searching for something assist with getting away my fear based logic.

I'm on the fence when it comes to self help books because sometimes the co
Zandra
Feb 15, 2017 Zandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful Points

The book had powerful points.. It makes you look at things from a different, more positive approach. It also makes you do self evaluations and if you are honest with yourself, you will see exactly what needs to be changed within you.
Christan
Jan 27, 2017 Christan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. Super general and not inspiring compared to other books of the same nature. Not sure what the hype is for this one. Read 50% before I realized there was not going to be any substance.
Peter
Feb 06, 2017 Peter rated it really liked it
Very good book that was easy to understand and allows you to put their lessons into action right away
Maureen Moriarty
Dec 08, 2016 Maureen Moriarty rated it really liked it
Simple but profound. Anyone can benefit from his lessons --
Beth
Feb 19, 2017 Beth rated it liked it
Another book for YTT. This one was ok. Great message - not a fan of the writing style.
Terry Prasad
May 25, 2011 Terry Prasad rated it liked it
This little quick read is a compilation of concepts from "A Course in Miracles". The author has selected a few key concepts and presents them in a light, easy read kind of way (in contrast to the very long and complex Course in Miracles). It reminds us that fear is not real, but is rather merely the absence of love; that our perceptions are not facts but rather a projection of our internal states onto the world; and that while our minds are full of thoughts that can hurt or help us, it is our re ...more
Judy
"We have been give everything we need to be happy now. To look directly at this instant is to be happy now." 9
"We cannot be free until we discipline and retrain our minds."
"We all have the power to direct our minds to replace the feelings of being upset, depressed and fearful with the feeling of inner peace. " 57
"Other expelled do not have to change for us to experience peace of mind."
As we look inward we become aware of an inner intuitive voice which provides a reliable source of guidance. Whe
Charlotte Wanberg
Sep 19, 2013 Charlotte Wanberg rated it liked it
  • Love, Medicine and Miracles
  • Love
  • The Breakout Principle: How to Activate the Natural Trigger That Maximizes Creativity, Athletic Performance, Productivity, and Personal Well-Being
  • Bradshaw on the Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-Esteem
  • How to Survive the Loss of a Love
  • You Are The One You've Been Waiting For: Bringing Courageous Love To Intimate Relationships
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • How to Be Your Own Best Friend
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Manifest Your Destiny
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • Courage to Change: One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II
  • Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace

“Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.” 239 likes
“Peace of mind comes from not wanting to change others.” 117 likes