Start by marking “Christmas at the Crescent” as Want to Read:
Christmas at the Crescent

Christmas at the Crescent

Behind the gorgeous Georgian sweep of Pelham Crescent, Bath, everyone's getting ready for Christmas...

At Number 14, Josie Ballard is up to her ears in brandy, raisins and cherries as she battles to make forty Christmas puddings to sell at Bath Christmas Market. Ever since Giles walked out the day their baby was born, Josie has had to work twice as hard to make ends meet. S
Published November 7th 2013 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at the Crescent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at the Crescent

Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I am not one that usually reads eBooks, but even I couldn't resist a copy of a Christmas read! As you will all know by now, I love seasonal reading and thought that a short story would be a great way to slowly ease myself into the festive spirit! Christmas at the Crescent was a great choice as, though it would be nice to read any time of year, it had just the right amount of festivity.

Christmas at the Crescent is the first book I've read by Veronica Henry and I'm sure it won't be the last. For t
Sheerie
Nov 09, 2014 Sheerie rated it it was amazing
I love the writing by Veronica Henry and this book Christmas At The Crescent did not disappoint. Within a couple of pages, I was hooked, I needed to read and finish this short story. The main character is Josie a very talented chef in a local well known, high class hotel. However her life changes on the day she gives birth to her gorgeous son Titus and on that very day, her boyfriend Giles walks out on them both, deciding it was not the life for him.
Josie adores her home at Pelham Crescent in Ba
Karen
Jan 05, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Although this was a fairly short read, it felt quite substantial with well written characters and a heartwarming story. Very descriptive and atmospheric and made me want to visit Bath at Christmas. Some delicious recipes at the end too. Loved it.
Jo
Nov 09, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
Loved it even if Giles was a rat. Wanted the story to go on - we need more.
Clare
Nov 22, 2016 Clare rated it really liked it
This was a freebie read I was lucky to buy from Amazon.

I love Christmas and enjoy Christmas chic lit books at this time of year.

Josie Ballard is a single Mum to 10 month old Titus, her boyfriend Giles left her the day Titus was born. Josie is a chef and was well one her way to gaining a Michelin Star in her restaurant before she became pregnant. Josie now works 2 nights a week at the same restaurant as a pastry chef. Although she loves Titus she feels her career is unfulfilled.

Giles is now seein
Christine Rennie
Dec 05, 2016 Christine Rennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Having been to Bath recently when the Chalets were being decorated and made interesting by the store holders before the Christmas Market opened. It was interesting to see a character selling her wares there. It was also a feel good book and an ideal read to snuggle down and read to get into the Christmas spirit.
Highly recommended!!

#HHCup #SHHCup
Anne
Nov 18, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
You all know how much I love Veronica Henry's writing, and Christmas at the Crescent was up there with some of her best. Josie lives in a flat in beautiful Pelham Crescent in Bath, a setting introduced in cinematic style as the "noella" (love it!) opens. Josie gave up her plans for a Michelin star when she became the single mother of Titus - her partner Giles walked out on the day he was born, preferring the charms of party girl Rebecca. While Josie cooks a pile of Christmas puddings to sell at ...more
Carol W
Nov 28, 2013 Carol W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Josie is a single mum, not by choice, to baby Titus. She has given up her career to look after Titus, but with Christmas coming she is trying to bring in a few more pennies.

Fate is about to stir up Josie's plans for a quiet Christmas and her future, too.

The characters were so lovely, the setting was delightful and the ending was perfect. Got that warm fuzzy feeling reading this one.

A delicious novella just right for the season but would be a perfect read anytime of the year.

5 stars for me! Love
Sam
Oct 10, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
I liked this quick read. Giles was Josies long term partner and became terrified when Titus, their baby arrived. Leaving Josie that day she had to fend for herself, working part time and baking puddings to make extra cash.

I especially liked the story as it is based in Bath, an area that I have visited a couple of times, so I could relate to the Christmas markets and various landmarks mentioned.

This little book gets a big thumbs up from me.
Stacey
Dec 31, 2014 Stacey rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this throughout, it was so descriptive and I actually wanted to dive into the book and eat everything Josie made. It was full of snow (which I always love) and it did actually concentrate on the Christmas period - Veronica made Bath at Christmas sound amazing and also made me want to visit! I will probably read this again next year to get me in the spirit! A wonderfully short read for a cosy day indoors.
Molly Cline
Dec 06, 2015 Molly Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, christmas
This was the second book by this author I read the first one was her Thanksgiving one and I simply couldn't get into it so I was hesitant to pick this one up; but with it being Christmas I went ahead and am glad I did. It was a very nice read and wouldn't mind reading it every year. Nothing extra special about it, but it is a nice read.
Nicola Clough
Apr 08, 2015 Nicola Clough rated it really liked it
A good book with good characters in and twists to it and all written around Christmas and three main people well worth reading.
Kim
Nov 24, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2013
I loved this book- would have loved a full length trip to The Crescent. I could picture the Christmas puddings and the Christmas market stall.
Nannette
Jan 06, 2015 Nannette rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm afraid it's me. I'm just getting too old for this kind of chick lit. Couldn't even be bothered to finish it.
Louise Mackin
Dec 26, 2015 Louise Mackin rated it really liked it
This is the first Veronica Henry book that I've read but it definitely won't be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. It was a very pleasant easy read to help get me in the Christmas spirit.
Dec 21, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-on-kindle, 2014
An extremely charming and romantic Christmas tale, with lovely food descriptions (and reciepes!) to boot. Delicious
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Claire Woodward
Claire Woodward rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Lesley Lickley
Lesley Lickley rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Josie
Josie rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Susan Lowe
Susan Lowe rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Katie
Oct 27, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Short and sweet! Really enjoyed this book.
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Allison Manns
Allison Manns rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Marie Pedler
Marie Pedler rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Vicky Jennings
Vicky Jennings rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
  • Here Come the Boys
  • Angels in the Snow
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Cooking Up a Storm
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • From Scotland With Love (Short Story)
Veronica Henry was a television script writer before turning her hand to fiction. She has published six novels which she describes as realistic escapism - her characters might have Agent Provocateur knickers drying on the Aga, but their problems and dilemmas are ones everyone can identify with. She is also on the writing team of Bafta-award winning Holby City.
More about Veronica Henry...