Start by marking “Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery

Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery (Dixie Dew Mystery #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Winner of the Malice Domestic Competition for Best First Traditional Mystery Novel, a delightful Southern cozy from an award-winning author

Beth McKenzie's attempt to turn an old Southern mansion into aBed and Breakfast calledThe Dixie Dew is thwarted when her first guest is found dead in bed. Murdered, it turns out. Three days later a young priest is found strangled in his...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Minotaur Books

Angela
This was a perfect southern cozy. looking forward to the next one.
Mahala Church
People are dropping like flies in the small Southern town of Littleboro. Beth McKenzie’s inaugural guest at her new bread and breakfast, Dixie Dew, is the first body. Ruth Moose clearly knows her craft and gives an intriguing look into the life of a new entrepreneur and the challenges that are heavy enough without a death in the lovely old house she inherited from Mama Alice. Distraught and confused, the protagonist, Beth, journeys from elation to questioning her decisions and back again, strugg...more
Cathy Cole
Doing It at the Dixie Dew is filled with genuine Southern charm without a y'all in sight. Littleboro, North Carolina, abounds with eccentric characters, and author Ruth Moose certainly knows how to pepper her gumbo with them. The memory of Beth's grandmother, Margaret Alice McKenzie, lives on in the house this young woman is turning into a business. Beth has Mama Alice's recipes from her catering business and wants to turn one of the porches into a tea room. She even has the help of Ida Plum Duc...more
A. Lieberson
This was a charming cozy about a woman, Beth McKenzie who returns to her hometown in NC to open a bed-and-breakfast in her late grandmother's house. On the first night one of her guests is murdered.
Lesa
Check out these names: Julia Spencer-Fleming, Elizabeth J. Duncan, Linda Rodriguez, Donna Andrews, Susan Shaber, Gerrie Ferris Finger. These are just some of the winners of the Malice Domestic Best First Traditional Mystery Novel Competition. As a fan of traditional mysteries, I've read books by all of these authors. Now, add Ruth Moose to the list with her debut mystery, Doing It at the Dixie Dew.

Beth McKenzie Henry felt like the prodigal daughter when she returned home to Littleboro, North Car...more
Leah

I'm a huge fan of cozy mysteries, those fun and easy novels that I can get lost in for an afternoon. While authors like Christie and Sayers top the charts, my guilty pleasures are the themed series - psychic detectives, cupcake bakeries, you name it, I'll read it! So when I heard about a new series featuring a Southern bed and breakfast I was all about it!

Beth recently moved back to her hometown and has started the lengthy (and expensive!) task of renovati...more
Sandra
I really enjoyed this debut cozy mystery. Lots of zany characters and a fun read. I love books set in the South, and this one was perfect.

From Amazon:
Who says you can’t go home again?

When Beth McKenzie returns to her hometown and attempts to turn an old Southern mansion into a bed and breakfast called The Dixie Dew, her first guest is murdered. Three days later a young priest who looks better in tennis whites than cleric black is found strangled in his chapel. The whole town of Littleboro is...more
Grey853
Nell
Well-written first in a series. Set in a small town in North Carolina, the author does an excellent job of conveying life in a Southern town. There's nothing contrived here - Her use of colloquial expressions flows with the character and scene and there's not a "y'all" anywhere.

The MC returns to the town where she grew up and renovates her home into a B&B. Eccentric characters, overnight guests; the friends, neighbors and townspeople that she used to know. And a town on the brink of gentrif...more
Kathy
Cutesy entertaining story. k Beth McKenzie returns to hr Southern hometown and turns her grandma's house that she inherited into a B & B. The fun starts when one of her first guests dies in her room and it turns out to be murder.
The best parts of the story are the quirky characters who inhabit the small town. We get to know them all. My favorite was Reba who lives in a tree and makes herself free in any house in toen that isn't locked.
The ending leaves a bit to be desired It's like all the e...more
Helen
i was attracted to this book as it seemed a good mystery book and i wasn't disappointed it gets you from the first few pages and keeps you guessing and doubting your guesses as to who the killer is but also gives you a touch of southern love and romance with Beth trying to set up her B & B with the help of Ida Plum and also the gorgeous Scott things seem to keep going wrong and knocking Beth off course to achieving her dream and remembering mama Alice and keeping her presence in the dixie de...more
Lynn Lerch
Beth McKenzie returns to her hometown and takes over her grandmother's mansion and makes it into a Bread and Breakfast with a tea room. The first guest dies the first night she is there. This person is a old timer in the town who has been living in Italy. Beth has to find out if it was murder and who did it. This is the first mystery by Ruth Moose who is a poet and short story writer who has made a delightful debut as a mystery writer.
Nora Gaskin Esthimer
This book is pure fun. Well, possibly not for the departed, but we survivors had a great time. It will be a good read-aloud, too. It is a prize-winning cozy mystery with a sense of humor, food (what, no recipes?), and characters who make me want the next in the series now.

If you are a writer or pay attention to these things, look at how Ruth Moose gets people from here to there in the suspense scenes, such as the escape from the decaying mansion. Clever.
Antoinette
A guest at Beth McKenzie's bed and breakfast, the Dixie Dew, is murdered and Beth struggles to find the real murderer while suspicion follows her like a hungry dog. The cozy mystery is full of true friends and eccentric characters and lots of plot twists that kept me reading late into the night. Will Beth McKenzie's little bed and breakfast ever be successful? I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Champaign Public Library
Recommended by Connie F.

A cozy mystery debut set in the south and Winner of the 2013 Malice ¬Domestic Competition for Best First Traditional Mystery Novel. A young woman comes back to her home town to retro an old house into a bed and breakfast. This is an enjoyable read with its share of quirky characters so you are in for a few delightful hours.
Harry Lane
Very light reading, but entertaining enough to hold one's interest. The plot was a bit over the top, and the resolution strained one's suspension of disbelief, but getting there provided some amusing characters and incidents. One more thing: small towns are really quite as described.
Sandybear76
Beth returns home to care for her grandmother and after her grandmother's death, Beth turns the house she inherited into a Bed and Breakfast and is working to restoring the house. People have started using her B&B. Unfortunately, one person checks out permanently.

Clara Roberts
This book looked like a pleasant mystery. There was two eccentric little old ladies, a bed and breakfast and interesting characters. The premarital sex detracted from the story instead of adding quality to the story.
Arlene
I really wanted to like this cozy mystery. It is set in North Carolina, a big old house that is turned into a bed and breakfast and run by a young woman who has returned to her roots...but I just never really got "into" it.
Sana Khan
It was alright. I don't think I've ever done mystery. I felt like it all led up to finding clues, then all of a sudden she was told everything, not much of...finding things out along the way.
Debra Goldstein
After hearing the author speak at Malice Domestic, I bought an early copy in the Malice Dealers Room. The book proved to be a fast read with some wickedly funny lines/expressions.
Gretchen
This was a pretty good mystery with wacky characters in a small town in North Carolina. Is it ever a good sign when one of your first guests at your B & B is murdered? We'll see.
Miki
This book just didn't do it for me - at the Dixie or anywhere else. Not awful but definitely not a keeper, it was too much of an effort to finish.
Melinda
I give this more like 2.5 stars. I just couldn't give it three. The story had promise, but it just wasn't written well.
Karen Vancucha mickey
I enjoyed the book. It was an easy to read and nice change of pace book for me. It was definitely a book that I had trouble putting down.
Jan
fairly enjoyable at first. The end seemed rushed, unclear, and unbelievable. very unsatisfying
LeAnn
Those who enjoy The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun will like this as well.
Charlene
Good first novel. Can you really go home again? Things do change
Terrie Moran
pleasant enough that I will probably read the next in the series.
Linda Atkinson
A good summertime read- quick and uncomplicated.
Fiction Writer, Poet, Novelist, Teacher
Ruth Moose writes. For forty years she’s written poems, short stories, book reviews and columns and recently completed her first novel. Originally from Albemarle, North Carolina, she now lives in Pittsboro, North Carolina, where she continues to write and teach since her retirement from the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Creative W...more
More about Ruth Moose...
The Librarian: And Other Poems Neighbors and Other Strangers: Short Stories Dreaming in Color The Wreath Ribbon Quilt: And Other Stories Tea: And Other Assorted Poems