Start by marking “Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery

Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery (Dixie Dew Mystery #1)

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Winner of the Malice Domestic Competition for Best First Traditional Mystery Novel, a delightful Southern cozy from an award-winning author

Beth McKenzie's attempt to turn an old Southern mansion into aBed and Breakfast calledThe Dixie Dew is thwarted when her first guest is found dead in bed. Murdered, it turns out. Three days later a young priest is found strangled in his
Published May 6th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Doing It at the Dixie Dew, please sign up.

Pat Just 30 minutes ago I watched an interview with Ruth Moose, the author on the NC PBS Channel. I believe that she wrote the book 25 years ago and just…moreJust 30 minutes ago I watched an interview with Ruth Moose, the author on the NC PBS Channel. I believe that she wrote the book 25 years ago and just never was quite satisfied with it and recently had it published.
Yes, I can imagine that there are discrepancies, but, I have requested it from my local Library. I will get back about what I find, after I read it.
I am very curious now!(less)

Angela
This was a perfect southern cozy. looking forward to the next one.
Mahala Church
Jun 15, 2014 Mahala Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People are dropping like flies in the small Southern town of Littleboro. Beth McKenzie’s inaugural guest at her new bread and breakfast, Dixie Dew, is the first body. Ruth Moose clearly knows her craft and gives an intriguing look into the life of a new entrepreneur and the challenges that are heavy enough without a death in the lovely old house she inherited from Mama Alice. Distraught and confused, the protagonist, Beth, journeys from elation to questioning her decisions and back again, strugg ...more
Cathy Cole
Doing It at the Dixie Dew is filled with genuine Southern charm without a y'all in sight. Littleboro, North Carolina, abounds with eccentric characters, and author Ruth Moose certainly knows how to pepper her gumbo with them. The memory of Beth's grandmother, Margaret Alice McKenzie, lives on in the house this young woman is turning into a business. Beth has Mama Alice's recipes from her catering business and wants to turn one of the porches into a tea room. She even has the help of Ida Plum Duc ...more
Grey853
Jul 09, 2014 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Sallee
Feb 06, 2016 Sallee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I found out that the author had written this over 25 years ago, dusted it off and updated it. That is why there seems to be time glitches that are written the way society was then. However, I found it to be a satisfying quick read with a touch of southern gothic.
A. Lieberson
Oct 15, 2014 A. Lieberson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming cozy about a woman, Beth McKenzie who returns to her hometown in NC to open a bed-and-breakfast in her late grandmother's house. On the first night one of her guests is murdered.
The Book Breeze
Jan 14, 2015 The Book Breeze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lesa
Check out these names: Julia Spencer-Fleming, Elizabeth J. Duncan, Linda Rodriguez, Donna Andrews, Susan Shaber, Gerrie Ferris Finger. These are just some of the winners of the Malice Domestic Best First Traditional Mystery Novel Competition. As a fan of traditional mysteries, I've read books by all of these authors. Now, add Ruth Moose to the list with her debut mystery, Doing It at the Dixie Dew.

Beth McKenzie Henry felt like the prodigal daughter when she returned home to Littleboro, North Car
Leah

I'm a huge fan of cozy mysteries, those fun and easy novels that I can get lost in for an afternoon. While authors like Christie and Sayers top the charts, my guilty pleasures are the themed series - psychic detectives, cupcake bakeries, you name it, I'll read it! So when I heard about a new series featuring a Southern bed and breakfast I was all about it!

Beth recently moved back to her hometown and has started the lengthy (and expensive!) task of renovati
Penny McGill
Nov 19, 2014 Penny McGill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Well. I liked it. I finished it and then thought about it for a day or two because although I did like the book it felt like there was something missing. I wasn't exactly sure what was missing from this book except that I felt like it was a good book with a solid main character but not enough 'something' and couldn't put my finger on what that 'something' was.

I've decided that it was missing a bit of humour. A bit of levity. There was mystery and some real soul to this book. She moves back to t
Sandra
Oct 07, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this debut cozy mystery. Lots of zany characters and a fun read. I love books set in the South, and this one was perfect.

From Amazon:
Who says you can’t go home again?

When Beth McKenzie returns to her hometown and attempts to turn an old Southern mansion into a bed and breakfast called The Dixie Dew, her first guest is murdered. Three days later a young priest who looks better in tennis whites than cleric black is found strangled in his chapel. The whole town of Littleboro is
Julia
I picked this up because Moose won a Malice Domestic award for best First Traditional Mystery. I wasn't disappointed and would hope the win will enable Moose to return to Littleboro and the Dixie Dew in another book. When Beth McKenzie returns to her hometown after her grandmother, Mama Alice falls and subsequently passes away, she seems ready to makeover her life. Left with Mama Alice's home, catering accessories and new right hand, Ida Plum, Beth strives to liven up the house and open a B& ...more
Nell
Aug 04, 2014 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written first in a series. Set in a small town in North Carolina, the author does an excellent job of conveying life in a Southern town. There's nothing contrived here - Her use of colloquial expressions flows with the character and scene and there's not a "y'all" anywhere.

The MC returns to the town where she grew up and renovates her home into a B&B. Eccentric characters, overnight guests; the friends, neighbors and townspeople that she used to know. And a town on the brink of gentrif
Eleanor Jones
Dec 14, 2014 Eleanor Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely delightful. The author completely nails life in a small Southern town, creates delightful characters, and the dramatic culmination is both completely amusing and entirely nutty. I can't wait for another book with these characters. I almost gave it four stars rather than five as I felt the editing could have been a little tighter to make certain parts a bit clearer but that's a minor complaint and didn't overcome my delight in the story, the fact that I had to read it in one sitting, a ...more
Susan
Actually a 3 1/2, though I don't usually split stars. Still, with Anne George no longer with us, and nothing new coming in from Deborah Adams, I need a new Southern series. Beth Henry comes home to Littleboro when her grandmother is hurt, and uses her only asset--the house--to provide a living for herself. It's a lot of work to start the bed and breakfast, but she finally has guests--and one of them quietly dies in her room. Still, it could be natural causes, right? But then a young man is stran ...more
Kathy
Jul 10, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cutesy entertaining story. k Beth McKenzie returns to hr Southern hometown and turns her grandma's house that she inherited into a B & B. The fun starts when one of her first guests dies in her room and it turns out to be murder.
The best parts of the story are the quirky characters who inhabit the small town. We get to know them all. My favorite was Reba who lives in a tree and makes herself free in any house in toen that isn't locked.
The ending leaves a bit to be desired It's like all the e
Helen
Jul 30, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was attracted to this book as it seemed a good mystery book and i wasn't disappointed it gets you from the first few pages and keeps you guessing and doubting your guesses as to who the killer is but also gives you a touch of southern love and romance with Beth trying to set up her B & B with the help of Ida Plum and also the gorgeous Scott things seem to keep going wrong and knocking Beth off course to achieving her dream and remembering mama Alice and keeping her presence in the dixie de ...more
Valerie Andrews
Beth returns to her small Southern hometown when her grandmother dies. Deciding to turn the family home into a B&B, she's not sure she's ready to take on the responsibilities of running a business, figuring out the finances or facing her past. When one of her guests dies at the Dixie Dew, she has her grandmother's long-time friend Ida Plum and Beth's contractor/handyman Scott to turn to for comfort. But when the parish priest dies, Beth takes it upon herself to figure out who's starting a cr ...more
Dee Gurganus
A delightful who-dun-it. I was attracted to the story because it takes place in North Carolina and the fact that it was a who-dun-it. The story was well put together and flowed nicely. The town of Littleboro is your typical small town with a whole list of odd characters. I caught some of the clues and figured out the basic why of the mystery. But the who actually did it caught me by surprise. This was my first read by Ms Moose, but there definitely be more on my "to read" list.
Kim
Nov 17, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't stop reading it! It's not the greatest mystery ever told. It's a little bit weird. There are the usual quirky characters, and some solid who will always carry the story. There's a bit of romance too. But it all works together, with pleasant writing, and I devoured it like a box of Fanny May fine chocolates.

Now I have to find another book to read, and I don't have anything else from the library as fun as this one. I guess I'll move on to a book group book.
E. M.
May 10, 2015 E. M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Although I'm a newbie in the cozy mysteries department, I could appreciate the freshness and wit of Doing It at the Dixie Dew by Ruth Moose.

When the first customer of her newly opened Bed & Breakfast, the Dixie Dew, is murdered, Beth McKenzie finds herself tangled into a web of lies and murder. With the help of her handyman, Scott and her best friend from high school, Melena, Beth takes over the small town of Littleboro while trying to solve the murders rocking it.

Moose's characters are qu
Lynn Lerch
Jul 15, 2014 Lynn Lerch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth McKenzie returns to her hometown and takes over her grandmother's mansion and makes it into a Bread and Breakfast with a tea room. The first guest dies the first night she is there. This person is a old timer in the town who has been living in Italy. Beth has to find out if it was murder and who did it. This is the first mystery by Ruth Moose who is a poet and short story writer who has made a delightful debut as a mystery writer.
Nora Gaskin Esthimer
This book is pure fun. Well, possibly not for the departed, but we survivors had a great time. It will be a good read-aloud, too. It is a prize-winning cozy mystery with a sense of humor, food (what, no recipes?), and characters who make me want the next in the series now.

If you are a writer or pay attention to these things, look at how Ruth Moose gets people from here to there in the suspense scenes, such as the escape from the decaying mansion. Clever.
Antoinette
Jun 12, 2014 Antoinette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guest at Beth McKenzie's bed and breakfast, the Dixie Dew, is murdered and Beth struggles to find the real murderer while suspicion follows her like a hungry dog. The cozy mystery is full of true friends and eccentric characters and lots of plot twists that kept me reading late into the night. Will Beth McKenzie's little bed and breakfast ever be successful? I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Mary Ellen
Feb 18, 2016 Mary Ellen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a very good mystery and not very interesting characters. The actions of the central character are illogical; the author seems more interested in her romantic life and her skill as a decorator than in paying even lip service to the elements of the mystery and crime. Should I ever want to read a romance, I might come back to this author; but nor for a mystery.
Champaign Public Library
Recommended by Connie F.

A cozy mystery debut set in the south and Winner of the 2013 Malice Domestic Competition for Best First Traditional Mystery Novel. A young woman comes back to her home town to retro an old house into a bed and breakfast. This is an enjoyable read with its share of quirky characters so you are in for a few delightful hours.
Harry Lane
Very light reading, but entertaining enough to hold one's interest. The plot was a bit over the top, and the resolution strained one's suspension of disbelief, but getting there provided some amusing characters and incidents. One more thing: small towns are really quite as described.
Sandybear76
Aug 09, 2014 Sandybear76 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Beth returns home to care for her grandmother and after her grandmother's death, Beth turns the house she inherited into a Bed and Breakfast and is working to restoring the house. People have started using her B&B. Unfortunately, one person checks out permanently.

Clara Roberts
This book looked like a pleasant mystery. There was two eccentric little old ladies, a bed and breakfast and interesting characters. The premarital sex detracted from the story instead of adding quality to the story.
Arlene
Jul 05, 2014 Arlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really wanted to like this cozy mystery. It is set in North Carolina, a big old house that is turned into a bed and breakfast and run by a young woman who has returned to her roots...but I just never really got "into" it.
  • The Corpse with the Silver Tongue (Cait Morgan #1)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Nightmares Can Be Murder (Dream Club Mystery #1)
  • Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery #2)
  • A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2)
  • That Old Flame of Mine (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #1)
  • Fillet of Murder: A Deep Fried Mystery
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
  • Pecan Pies and Homicides (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #3)
  • Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Mystery, #1)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • A Death in the Family (Euphemia Martins Mystery #1)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • Southern Peach Pie and a Dead Guy (Poppy Peters, #1)
  • Appartamento a Istanbul
  • Cinnamon Toasted: A Spice Shop Mystery
Fiction Writer, Poet, Novelist, Teacher
Ruth Moose writes. For forty years she’s written poems, short stories, book reviews and columns and recently completed her first novel. Originally from Albemarle, North Carolina, she now lives in Pittsboro, North Carolina, where she continues to write and teach since her retirement from the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Creative W
More about Ruth Moose...

Dixie Dew Mystery (2 books)
  • Wedding Bell Blues: A Dixie Dew Mystery (Dixie Dew Mystery, #2)