Lurulu

Lurulu (Gaean Reach)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Rejoin the adventures of Myron Tany, rebellious scion of a wealthy family, as he tours the Galaxy on a very questionable interstellar freighter, in a crew of actors, musicians, thieves and other ne'er-do-wells.
Published December 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published 2004)

Metaphorosis
As a standalone book, Lurulu isn't a great success. It's short, and it depends heavily on what went before. (Though there is a nice summary of Ports of Call, which is well worth reading, as it describes that book in even more colorful terms than the book itself.)

As a sequel, or considered as the final part of a single volume inexplicably split by some editor into two parts, it's quite good. It continues the story, wrapping up a number of loose (and even new) threads in a satisfying manner, all w...more
Rog Harrison
This apparently is Jack Vance's final book. It is a nice sequel to "Ports of call" and pretty good for an author who is now in his nineties. There is no plot as such. The spaceship Glicca visits several planets and what happens to the crew or passengers on the various planets is told in the book. I love Jack Vance's descriptions and dialogue and I own about 50 of his books and collections of stories so I suppose that makes me a fan. This is a satisfying book and while it is by no means one of hi...more
Unwisely
I picked this up because it was at the library and I was out of stuff to read. I think I've heard the name Jack Vance, but I'm not sure I'd ever read him before. Honestly? I'm not sure I will again.

This was such a strange book. It starts out in a quaint voice, almost steampunkish. Things happen. And then more things happen. Except...it only has that one voice, which grows tiresome; the characters appear to have no particular motivation; there's no particular tension - they go to strange places,...more
Philippe Lhoste
La suite de Escales dans les étoiles.
Myron et ses trois amis / collègues continuent leur voyage dans les étoiles, accomplissant leur destin, découvrant de nouvelles civilisations plus ou moins exotiques, avançant avec circonspection et un certain sens des affaires.

Un rythme de narration lent, peu palpitant. Peu de rebondissements. Mais cela reste plaisant à lire, en particulier les joutes oratoires utilisées pour négocier.
Nick
This picaresque novel picks up where Ports of Call left off -- in the middle of nowhere in an endless universe. At least, a tale of revenge adds a modicum of plot, but it's too late -- Jack can't make me care about these characters. A rare clunker from the master of Sci-Fi.
Andy
Typical Vance - new worlds and peoples to be explored. Bit of a strange ending in that nothing really happened - its almost like he decided he'd had enough (which at his age he probably had). If you liked Ports of Call then you will like this but not his best work.
Michael O'Donnell
Great Jack Vance book. Victorian (Edwardian?) English dialogue in a Space Opera. Engaging scenes of worlds other than ours. Only gave it 3stars because you have to been into the genre to appreciate it. Otherwise it is a 4stars.
Samir Rawas Sarayji
The lack of character development ruined the experience. More at http://cecileswriters.wordpress.com/2...
DaughterDaDa
Moderately interesting, slow-paced story about the mild adventures of the crew of a cargo starship. Good reading before going to bed.
David Ambrose
I suspect that fans of Jack Vance will enjoy this novel, but I think the lack of significant plot may turn off other readers.
Lynda
Great introduction to a fine author, Jack Vance. I happened upon this book in the Children's section of my local library.
Jared
Long on description, short on plot: not your typical Vance.
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Bryce
Bryce is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
John Velonis
John Velonis marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Grignr
Grignr added it
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr...more
More about Jack Vance...
The Dying Earth Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying Earth/The Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga/Rhialto the Marvellous Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)