Start by marking “Lurulu” as Want to Read:
Lurulu

Lurulu (Gaean Reach)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  264 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Rejoin the adventures of Myron Tany, rebellious scion of a wealthy family, as he tours the Galaxy on a very questionable interstellar freighter, in a crew of actors, musicians, thieves and other ne'er-do-wells.
Published December 1st 2004 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Lurulu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lurulu

Jaro
This rating will need commenting. Review to come.
Metaphorosis
Nov 11, 2013 Metaphorosis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev
As a standalone book, Lurulu isn't a great success. It's short, and it depends heavily on what went before. (Though there is a nice summary of Ports of Call, which is well worth reading, as it describes that book in even more colorful terms than the book itself.)

As a sequel, or considered as the final part of a single volume inexplicably split by some editor into two parts, it's quite good. It continues the story, wrapping up a number of loose (and even new) threads in a satisfying manner, all w
Rog Harrison
This apparently is Jack Vance's final book. It is a nice sequel to "Ports of call" and pretty good for an author who is now in his nineties. There is no plot as such. The spaceship Glicca visits several planets and what happens to the crew or passengers on the various planets is told in the book. I love Jack Vance's descriptions and dialogue and I own about 50 of his books and collections of stories so I suppose that makes me a fan. This is a satisfying book and while it is by no means one of hi ...more
Peter Greenwell
I'm not mean enough to give Vance's last published book one star though there are plenty of reasons and justifications why it should be awarded that. As with Ports of Call, this book dispenses with any kind of plot and character development and instead we get a colourful travelogue, with a cohort of nameless ciphers who go traipsing about one planet after the other and to be quite frank - not a whole lot happens, apart from an early episode of vengeance.

My pet peeve with Vance is to be found thr
Tim Hicks
Jan 29, 2016 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Fluff, but what fluff.
Probably Vance's last work.
Grab your dictionary and a good drink, relax and enjoy.

Our heroes hop from planet to planet, meeting in every case a new group of bureaucrats, bartenders and innkeepers. Nothing of importance happens, but the badinage is as good as anything that isn't Wodehouse. An example of what happens: one character meets a port director who appears to be rigid and rule-bound, but after a quick and clever exchange we see that an appropriate bribe or busines
Unwisely
Apr 15, 2010 Unwisely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010
I picked this up because it was at the library and I was out of stuff to read. I think I've heard the name Jack Vance, but I'm not sure I'd ever read him before. Honestly? I'm not sure I will again.

This was such a strange book. It starts out in a quaint voice, almost steampunkish. Things happen. And then more things happen. Except...it only has that one voice, which grows tiresome; the characters appear to have no particular motivation; there's no particular tension - they go to strange places,
Olethros
Oct 13, 2014 Olethros rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess it was not bad, but not immensely enjoyable either: but I forced myself to read through it, as it was quite short. Overall, it felt like a less funny hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy. I haven't read Ports of Call, and I am not sure how it compares to this.
Philippe Lhoste
Nov 13, 2011 Philippe Lhoste rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, roman
La suite de Escales dans les étoiles.
Myron et ses trois amis / collègues continuent leur voyage dans les étoiles, accomplissant leur destin, découvrant de nouvelles civilisations plus ou moins exotiques, avançant avec circonspection et un certain sens des affaires.

Un rythme de narration lent, peu palpitant. Peu de rebondissements. Mais cela reste plaisant à lire, en particulier les joutes oratoires utilisées pour négocier.
Stephen Power
An OK ending to an excellent career.
Nick
Aug 22, 2009 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picaresque novel picks up where Ports of Call left off -- in the middle of nowhere in an endless universe. At least, a tale of revenge adds a modicum of plot, but it's too late -- Jack can't make me care about these characters. A rare clunker from the master of Sci-Fi.
Andy
Apr 15, 2011 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Vance - new worlds and peoples to be explored. Bit of a strange ending in that nothing really happened - its almost like he decided he'd had enough (which at his age he probably had). If you liked Ports of Call then you will like this but not his best work.
Michael O'Donnell
Great Jack Vance book. Victorian (Edwardian?) English dialogue in a Space Opera. Engaging scenes of worlds other than ours. Only gave it 3stars because you have to been into the genre to appreciate it. Otherwise it is a 4stars.
Samir Rawas Sarayji
Jan 04, 2013 Samir Rawas Sarayji rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dumped
The lack of character development ruined the experience. More at http://cecileswriters.wordpress.com/2...
DaughterDaDa
Moderately interesting, slow-paced story about the mild adventures of the crew of a cargo starship. Good reading before going to bed.
David Ambrose
I suspect that fans of Jack Vance will enjoy this novel, but I think the lack of significant plot may turn off other readers.
Lynda
Aug 01, 2013 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to a fine author, Jack Vance. I happened upon this book in the Children's section of my local library.
Jared
Oct 08, 2010 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long on description, short on plot: not your typical Vance.
Frank
Oct 10, 2009 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun junky sci-fi
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C
David Tate
David Tate rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
ES
ES added it
Aug 11, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Peter Tillman
Peter Tillman rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Angelo
Angelo rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Mikhail
Mikhail marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Andrew Hamblin
Andrew Hamblin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jeremy Deadmond
Jeremy Deadmond rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2016
Matamarrano
Matamarrano rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
  • The Other
  • Bio Rescue (Bio Rescue, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Tomorrow Windows
  • Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales
  • Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance
  • The House on the Borderland
  • The King of Dreams (Lord Prestimion, #3)
  • They Also Ran
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • Madselin
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • Carlisle Vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle
  • Next of Kin
  • Secret Life
  • Falcon Guard (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #3)
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • Constantinople: The Forgotten Empire
  • War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

Gaean Reach (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Gray Prince
  • Maske: Thaery
  • Night Lamp
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Ecce and Old Earth (Cadwal Chronicles, #2)
  • Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)
  • The Demon Princes