Majipoor Chronicles (Majipoor 2)

Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,963 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The national bestselling saga of Robert Silverberg's stunning imagination continues in the first new hardcover Majipoor novel in nearly a decade. As a prequel to Silverberg's earlier Majipoor novels. Sorcerers of Majipoor provides a deep, dark vision for the background of the conflict in Lord Valentine's Castle and Valentine Pontifex.

Treachery and wizardry run rampant unde

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 1st 1983 by Spectra (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Majipoor Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Majipoor Chronicles

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In the first novel of the Majipoor series, Lord Valentine’s Castle, Valentine was aided in the labyrinth by Hissune, a clever and hard-working young street urchin. When Valentine was restored to his position as coronal, he elevated Hissune to a government job in the labyrinth. This was certainly a big step up for Hissune, but he soon discovers that government work is pretty dull. To alleviate the boredom, he talks his way into the Registry of Soul...more
Erik Graff
Feb 21, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Majipoor fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This collection of short stories is set in the same world as Lord Valentine's Castle, which had appeared previously. I didn't much like either book, but this one had the advantage of being a collection of individual pieces, not a single narrative.
Misha
I was a bit hesitant to jump into the middle of Robert Silverberg’s Majipoor series, but Majipoor Chronicles made the perfect landing spot and I liked it a lot. Akin to Arabian Nights, it is a set of short stories that are linked together by the novel’s plot so it’s also a good stand-alone. As Hissune discovers the planet-world’s history spanning thousands of years and its diverse lands and people so does the reader.

14-year old Hissune is a clerk in the House of Records located in the Labyrinth....more
Bertrand
Silverberg introduced its Majipoor universe in Lord Valentine's Castle, an epic tale where Valentine conquered his throne and his memories back after having been disposessed by an usurpator.
In this book Hissune (a kid which Valentine met earlier) has been given a clerk job which he finds excessively boring while he only thinks about one thing: accessing the Register of Souls where millions of memories of the people of Majipoor are stored.
Hissune visits the lives of several Majipoor citizens, s...more
Nicolas
Le titre peut le laisser présager, les chroniques sont assez loin de la trame très linéaire du chateau de lord Valentin, et c'est tant mieux. En effet, les différentes expériences qui sont proposées permettent de mieux saisir la réalité de l'existence sur cette immense planète, où les continents ont la taille de mondes. Et dans ce roman, foisonnant et complexe, on se perd comme les habitants de Majipoor peuvent se perdre des années durant.
Et surtout, on rêve : que ce soit aux côtés du peintre d...more
Kerry
ORIGINAL READ: 9/10 (10 May 2008 - 23 June 2007)

Majipoor Chronicles - Robert Silverberg
Majipoor, Book 2; SF; 7/10
I read Silverberg's first Majipoor book, Lord Valentine's Castle, many years ago and really liked it, but I never got into this book of short stories. I reread Lord Valentine's Castle again last year and bought myself this book to have another go. It turned out to take me a long time to read my way through - I'm really not a short story reader - but I actually really enjoyed my trip t...more
Allen Garvin
Sequel, of sorts, to Lord Valentine's Castle. This is really just a set of separately published short stories in Silverberg's Majipoor, linked together by the conceit that the young orphan/thief of the first novel is viewing the lives of people who have recorded themselves in the Register of Souls. The quality of the stories varies, but the penultimate story, "A Thief in Ni-Moya", is one of the best pieces of fiction Silverberg ever wrote, a wonderful story of a timid, rural shopkeeper who has h...more
Daniel Magner
This is more a short story collection than a novel. However, it's all set around the exploits of one temporarily omnipotent teenager, so the stories themselves mesh together fine. Overall, the scope is admirable, but the characters felt flat, with a few notable exceptions. There are individual chapters that I would rank much higher than others (the soothsayer and the imperial aide were two characters I found much more enjoyable than the rest), but across the board it's not anything to get excite...more
Dark-Draco
This is a collection of short stories, bought together in a fantastic way. Hissune is a young clerk working in the underground labyrinth for the new Coronel, but finds the work undemanding and tedious. Using his wits and a bit of luck, he bluffs his way into the Register of Souls, a vast collection of recordings made by the people of Majipoor, past and present. With a click of a button, he is transported into their lives, feeling, seeing, tasting and hearing what they did. From the days of the f...more
Mona
Robert Silverberg's Majipoor Chronicles is a splended book of short stories. They are connected by the activities of Hissune, a young government functionary in the Pontifex's Labyrinth. Hissune views different soul-recordings of different characters throughout the planet Majipoor's history, little knowing how much it adds to his education, which has a higher purpose in the series beginning with Lord Valentine's Castle.

I loved this book more than Lord Valentine's Castle, because it fleshed out M...more
Simon Hemmings
Really beautiful book and wonderful stories contained within. Having read Lord Valentine's Castle I was eager for the story to continue and when I initially found out that Majipoor Chronicles was a book of short stories set on Majipoor I was concerned that it may take away some of the momentum from the first book. I was wrong, this is a very clever and beautiful book which adds huge depth and meaning to the world of Majipoor. As Hissune explores the memory archives we see different characters in...more
Rebecca
I think the world of Majipoor is the perfect setting for these kind of short stories since it offers so many different places and races to explore and a good sense of history. However, overall the book falls a bit flat.

My favourite stories are "In the Fifth Year of the Voyage" and "A Thief in Ni-moya," both are excellent stories and worth buying the book. I also enjoyed "Thesme and the Ghayrog," "Calintane Explains" and "The Soul-Painter and the Shapeshifter." The other five stories, however, we...more
JT
You simply can't go wrong with Silverberg. A Doorstopper Shortstory collection, chock full of brilliant vignettes of the giant planet and it's multifarious folk.
A. L.
Loved this book. Of the three this one offered the most intriguing look at the world of Majipoor.
Corytregoart
These stories are entertaining enough, but perhaps more than any other book I've ever read this one exemplifies one of my biggest gripes about a lot of science fiction: the protagonists get laid for little more reason than they are the protagonists. Sex just happens to them. As many of us know, in real life this is usually more difficult. Escapism definitely has a strong stake in this genre, and I'm not a prude that wants no scandalous sex at all in his stories. However, this sort of thing strik...more
Rick
Enjoyed this sequel to Lord Valentine's Castle. Interesting to get more details on Majipoor.
Bill Phelps
. Like a sci-fi version of 1001 Arabian Nights. The collection gives a more complete picture of the world of Majipoor. Many of the stories a very interesting character studies. Majipoor Chronicles takes a look at many issues and ideas that we are faced with. Silverberg continues to show many nuances in human behavior, but has set them in a far off world, so that we can really look at them in with all new eyes. Overall a would rate it as a decent collection of short stories.
Brie
A nice compilation of short stories based in Silverberg's world of Majipoor. I really enjoyed the story 'Thief of Nimoya'. Not quite as good as Lord Valentine's Castle Majipoor Cycle Book 1, but definately still worth a read if you have an interest in Majipoor. It covers stories from many different times in Majipoor's past.
Peter
I thought the "Registry of Souls" concept was a very clever and successful device for exploring the variety of cultures and histories in Majipoor and saw the Labyrinth as a nod to Gormenghast (which I appreciated). I also found that it provided a needed depth to the series (being inside the heads of so many different characters).
Sonny
Interesting little short stories that really do not have a whole lot to do with Lord Valentines Castle, but...

BUT: In the Fifth Year of the Voyage, the book makes its merit. That one story, alone, is worth it. While not a monumental volume, it has interesting quirks here and there. The 5th Year is a haunting scenario, however...it makes me imagine so many more possibilities, as a short story should.
Nick
The "Majipoor Chronicles" is a series of short stories about the giant world of Majipoor. The stories are tied together with a narrative which is a part of the greater story which started in the initial book, "Lord Valentine's Castle". Mr. Silverberg's second book on Majipoor proves to be a much better book, while further expounding on the wonderful world he has created.
Philip Athans
An exceptional follow-up to an exceptional book. I love the world Silverberg has created. One complaint, though: This book would have benefited greatly from a skilled proofreader. Typos abound. Still, I will happily continue to the next book in the series, after a short break to finish Isaac Asimov's Robot City: Robots and Aliens first!
Charles
I've liked a lot of Silverberg's work. I thought this was very lovely in the writing and told a pretty good story. My 4 stars is probalby really 3 and 1/2. I actually read this before reading the first in the series, "Lord Valentine's Castle," so maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I done so.
AmblingBooks
"If you like tales with an exotic Arabian Nights piquancy, this book belongs in your hands." � Washington Post Book World

Listen to Majipoor Chronicles on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Karl
one of my early science fiction book club books, read many times, but this time, listened on audio. strangest thing was the readers were the same group that does the Ender books, so kept expecting battle school or something to make an appearance :).
Chris Gager
It's not usual for me to give a sci-fi book a 4-star rating but this is a good one for sure. By one of the all-time masters of the genre of course. My only question: Why no flying machines? Also, the final twist at the end was very predictable.
Alexander
A series of short stories which together form the "training" of young Hissune. The stories cover all the major elements of life on Majipoor - shapeshifters, aliens, dreams, etc. told with Silverberg;s usual style and flair. An entertaining read
AndrewP
A collection of short stories all based in the world of Majipoor in various times and locations. Not a bad read but more applicable as background information to the main volumes in the series.
Caroline
I read this years ago and don't really remember much about the specifics, just that it was a real fun read and that I devoured the whole series within about a week because I enjoyed them so much.
Bill Tracy
This is a collection of short stories about the world of Majipoor. If you like good worldbuilding, you can enjoy this book. The stories themselves are not of the best quality
  • King Kobold Revived (Warlock Series, #2)
  • The Changing Land
  • Players Of Null-a
  • Demons of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #2)
  • The False Mirror (The Damned, #2)
  • Special Deliverance
  • Convergent Series
  • The Annals of the Heechee (Heechee Saga, #4)
  • The Swords Trilogy (Corum, #1-3)
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • Wraiths of Time
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers
  • The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)
  • The Kif Strike Back (Compact Space, #3)
  • The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)
  • Buying Time
  • Child of an Ancient City
  • Dragonne's Eg (Pigs Don't Fly, #4)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc...more
More about Robert Silverberg...
Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1) Legends The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 Dying Inside Legends II