Start by marking “The Great Explosion” as Want to Read:
The Great Explosion

The Great Explosion

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In less than a century, 50 percent of the human race fled the aged and autocratic Terra, settling wherever they could establish a world of their own choosing. The following centuries result in hundreds of independent new civilizations--too independent for an ambitious Terran government out to conquer an empire.
Published August 1st 1993 by Carroll & Graf Publ. (NY) (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Explosion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Explosion

Kristy Buzbee
This is a little and entertaining book about trying to reunite the human race. When a superfast hyperdrive is discovered, hundreds of groups of people take off for other habitable planets to get away from the overcrowded earth. Four hundred years later, Earth is trying to regain contact with these groups to form a galactic empire - but civilizations that have been left alone for 400 years aren't usually eager to get under earth's thumb again.
Arwen56
Il piccolo ed insignificante Johannes Pretorius Van Der Cam Blieder sognando di far levitare una monetina inventa invece un nuovo tipo di propulsione che rende possibile all'uomo l'esplorazione del cosmo. Il problema della sovrappopolazione, che tanto pesava sul destino della Terra, sembra dunque aver trovato una soluzione: milioni di coloni lasciano il pianeta in cerca di nuovi mondi dove stabilirsi, in quella che viene definita "la grande esplosione" (da qui il titolo inglese, The Great Explos ...more
Peter
Nov 17, 2008 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor!
An old favorite, always enjoyable. A little reminiscent of the "Retief" series by Keith Laumer.

400 years after the discovery of a faster-than-light drive causes a mass exodus from Earth, Earth sends out a huge spaceship to begin the process of picking up the pieces and forging them into a new Empire.

But the descendants of the fringe groups that escaped Earth so long ago have other ideas...

A wry and funny book, with Russell's characteristic anti-authority viewpoint. It's a pity that he only creat
Invadozer Saphenousnerves Circular-thallus Popewaffensquat
by Eric Frank Russell. This is the best argument
book I've read, contradictionary dialogue, slightful
banter to the brows. There's a million different
disagreeable goons who go out on the great explosion into
space on cheap travel to get away from Earth
beurocracy. The folks who hate policy and police have their
own world /ideas going on each world which for the
most part means 'don't participate if you dont want
to'. "Dissidents".

A inevitable cartooned out
platoon of explorers are out to have a consul
R.G.
I actually read the short story ” And Then There Were None” first, you can probably find it online like I did if you want to just check it out… it’s really great on it’s own but it is actually the last few chapters of this book and I am glad that he did expand and make this novel… it’s an amazing insight into people and society… as a civilized society we always think we know what’s right… and of course anything different is wrong and ridiculous… but as these government employs are about to disco ...more
Lesley Arrowsmith
Back when I was secretary of the local LETS system (our local currency is called Beacons) I used to recommend this book to anyone who wanted to know how a LETS system would work in practice. This is only for the latter part of the book, of course, when they arrive on the bartering planet.
Eric Frank Russell wrote this years before the LETS system was ever thought of - it's basically a bartering system, but you barter within the group rather than straight one to one, so it's easier, and to keep tr
Vygodski
Really enjoyable, I don't often read Sci-fi but this is a good example of what a good medium it is for asking questions about ourselves and the way we organise, or don't, our society. I won't!
Michael Tildsley
This novel is based on the novella "...And Then There Were None," which I found to be singularly hilarious, entertaining, and well thought-out. Not as much can be said of the novel, unfortunately. The beginning and end are really interesting, but the middle segments feature planets and situations that feel more like padding than substance.

I really like Russell's tendency to play with the concepts and notions of authority and leadership in his writing. He has a particular eye for asking that univ
David
This is an expansion of a short story by Eric Frank Russell . Read And Then There Were None instead. It is a much more plausible anarchist utopia than The Dispossessed.
Owen
A very entertaining book, perfectly skewering the notion of a pompous military-industrial society attempting to impose it's idea of progress upon an unreceptive universe. Here's a spoiler: they fail miserably and hilarity ensues. I would be genuinely surprised if this wasn't an inspiration for Red Dwarf on some level - there's more than a little of technician 10th class Harrison (and his beloved space-bike) in Dave Lister. Read this book. Or don't. That's freedom!
Baldurian
Russell ha anticipato di 15 anni Adams e la sua Guida galattica per gli autostoppisti? No di certo... più che di fantascienza umoristica sarebbe corretto parlare di fantascienza lievemente umoristica. Il romanzuccio comunque si legge presto e bene, nonostante una trama pretestuosa e dei personaggi poco caratterizzati. Nota di merito per il finale inneggiante alla disobbedienza civile.
Erik Graff
Apr 21, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Russell fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Mildly amusing, but I much prefer the serious treatments of pacifistic anarchism given by LeGuin in several of her writings, particularly The Dispossessed.
Tom Cole
Russell tells a series of collected yarns and ends with the famous SF story, "And Then There Were None." Forget about your cares and read this.
Rod Pyle
Thought-provoking and deep in its way. Russell was well ahead of his time.
Deedee
Athens-Clarke County Library
Dave Wells
Dave Wells marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Arcane Asunder
Arcane Asunder marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Sevan
Sevan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Domenico
Domenico marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • Showboat World
  • The Long Loud Silence
  • Fury
  • The Humanoids
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Weapon Makers
  • Past Master
  • The Listeners
Eric Frank Russell was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories. Much of his work was first published in the United States, in John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines. Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics. A few of his stories were published under pseudonyms, of which Duncan ...more
More about Eric Frank Russell...
Wasp Next of Kin Men, Martians and Machines Sinister Barrier . . . And Then There Were None

“If one would praise the Almighty, one must then revel in His works, and take them whole, adore their very grossness, savor the oozing quiddity of that slime of which He seems to be inordinately fond. Love is not nice. God's love assuredly is not; and human love, its copy, must not presume to be so.” 4 likes