Start by marking “Wolfbane” as Want to Read:
Wolfbane

Wolfbane

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Earth has forcibly been taken from its orbit. It began with an extra-terrestrial pyramid on top of Mt. Everest. And then a "runaway planet" took the Earth as its binary. And now harsh generations have passed since the inhabitants last saw the light of their sun, Sol. Society has grown rigid. The meek lambs have inherited the Earth, even it's a very poor Earth, indeed. ...more
Published June 12th 1969 by Ballantine Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfbane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfbane

Manny
The Earth is crushed in the implacable grip of... um, I can't quite remember. Giant killer robots from outer space, I believe, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, people are being strongly encouraged to understand that Resistance is Futile and concentrate on spiritual things instead.

The hero initially buys into this mindset, and meekly accepts his fate. He does this Zen-like exercise where he watches water boil and tries to observe all the Eight Boiling Stages, becoming one with the water and all
Glenn Schmelzle
Simon
After being utterly blown away the last time I read a collaboration between these authors, The Space Merchants, I had high hopes for this book. However, where that book felt timeless and avoided so many of the pitfalls that befell many of its comtemporaries, this feels like it was very much written in the period in which it was (late 50's), sharing many of the weaknesses so prevalent in SF at that time.

There are undoubtedly many interesting ideas touched upon here but the way they were delivered
Stephen Theaker
This is a thrilling book crammed with incident, revelation and adventure, clearly the work of writers who felt no need to hoard their ideas.
Jason
45 years before the movie "The Matrix" was produced, Pohl & Kornbluth basically wrote the same story in "Wolfbane."
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Fredrik Pohl & C.M.Kornbluth's Wolfbane
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 18, 2012

I doubt that I'll say much, if anything, about this bk that hasn't already been sd. This is the 5th collaborative bk by Pohl & Kornbluth that I've read so far & my least favorite of them - wch isn't to say that I didn't like it. In a way, it was refreshingly different from the others b/c it was a bit less social commentary & a bit more space opera. At least they're capable of varie
Chris Hayzlett
Science fiction these days pales in comparison to the mind trip that comes from classics like this one, and Pohl is a master.
A.E. Shaw

One of the things I love about sci-fi is the way it incorporates themes of the time of writing taken to a logical futuristic conclusion. The idea of calories, and caloric counting, as a sociological backbone, runs throughout this in a curiously interesting fashion. The fairly detached storytelling, which shifts and drifts about our world, another world, and through various narrators' eyes, is pleasingly generic, and there's enough originality and quirk, especially in the final few pages, to make
PSXtreme
A very complex little book. What originally appeared to be a couple of hour read (140 pages) got all complicated and jumbled. Mostly you were trying to figure out what was being referenced by a society that had been destroyed 2 centuries earlier when the Earth and moon were ripped from their orbit by another planet and hurled into the cosmos. Don't try to read this one tired, you'll get lost by page 10.
Jared
Not my favorite Pohl--maybe a 3 1/2. It's an interesting premise, but the story is too disjointed to have the desired impact. Pohl and Kornbluth's natural writing talent salvages the whole thing. If you're looking for a 'We' or '1984' read alike, this'll do.
Dann
Strangely enjoyable. A little unusual, but vivid and beautiful. A decent read.
John
1980 grade B

with Kornbluth
Deedee
SHRL-Rome
Bargle
Bargle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
David
David added it
Jul 26, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Alan
Alan added it
Jul 23, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Terry  Austrew
Terry Austrew marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Men, Martians and Machines
  • Citizen In Space
  • The Green Odyssey
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
  • Ring Around the Sun
  • Fury
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • The Byworlder
  • The Sioux Spaceman
  • Sea-Horse in the Sky: A Science Fiction Novel
  • Project Pendulum
  • Escape From Kathmandu
  • Masters Of The Pit Or Barbarians Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 3)
  • A Quest for Simbilis (The Dying Earth, #2.5)
  • Null-A 3
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)