Start by marking “Wolfbane” as Want to Read:
Wolfbane

Wolfbane

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  288 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Earth has forcibly been taken from its orbit. It began with an extra-terrestrial pyramid on top of Mt. Everest. And then a "runaway planet" took the Earth as its binary. And now harsh generations have passed since the inhabitants last saw the light of their sun, Sol. Society has grown rigid. The meek lambs have inherited the Earth, even it's a very poor Earth, indeed. ...more
Published June 12th 1969 by Ballantine Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfbane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfbane

Manny
Oct 14, 2010 Manny rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Earth is crushed in the implacable grip of... um, I can't quite remember. Giant killer robots from outer space, I believe, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, people are being strongly encouraged to understand that Resistance is Futile and concentrate on spiritual things instead.

The hero initially buys into this mindset, and meekly accepts his fate. He does this Zen-like exercise where he watches water boil and tries to observe all the Eight Boiling Stages, becoming one with the water and all
Glenn Schmelzle
May 13, 2009 Glenn Schmelzle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon
Apr 23, 2012 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
After being utterly blown away the last time I read a collaboration between these authors, The Space Merchants, I had high hopes for this book. However, where that book felt timeless and avoided so many of the pitfalls that befell many of its comtemporaries, this feels like it was very much written in the period in which it was (late 50's), sharing many of the weaknesses so prevalent in SF at that time.

There are undoubtedly many interesting ideas touched upon here but the way they were delivered
Stephen Theaker
Jun 18, 2008 Stephen Theaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a thrilling book crammed with incident, revelation and adventure, clearly the work of writers who felt no need to hoard their ideas.
Jason
Feb 25, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
45 years before the movie "The Matrix" was produced, Pohl & Kornbluth basically wrote the same story in "Wolfbane."
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Fredrik Pohl & C.M.Kornbluth's Wolfbane
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 18, 2012

I doubt that I'll say much, if anything, about this bk that hasn't already been sd. This is the 5th collaborative bk by Pohl & Kornbluth that I've read so far & my least favorite of them - wch isn't to say that I didn't like it. In a way, it was refreshingly different from the others b/c it was a bit less social commentary & a bit more space opera. At least they're capable of varie
Peveril
Sep 24, 2015 Peveril rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, sf-september
Starting off in a typical late-fifties alternative human society, this becomes truly odd, evoking an alienness like little other sf. For me its always stood apart even from the pairs' other novels together as strange and special. Though the denouement, okay in itself, becomes more conventional I'm always left appreciating the astonishing and brutal alien vision of this last novelistic collaboration of Pohl and Kornbluth.
Mike
Apr 23, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few different concepts, that I quite enjoyed. Exactly what you would expect from a 1950's story. I liked it but then I haven't read much by Pohl or Kornbluth that I haven't liked.
Chris Hayzlett
Aug 02, 2015 Chris Hayzlett rated it it was amazing
Science fiction these days pales in comparison to the mind trip that comes from classics like this one, and Pohl is a master.
A.E. Shaw
Apr 29, 2012 A.E. Shaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012

One of the things I love about sci-fi is the way it incorporates themes of the time of writing taken to a logical futuristic conclusion. The idea of calories, and caloric counting, as a sociological backbone, runs throughout this in a curiously interesting fashion. The fairly detached storytelling, which shifts and drifts about our world, another world, and through various narrators' eyes, is pleasingly generic, and there's enough originality and quirk, especially in the final few pages, to make
Thomas
Apr 30, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
A fun read, free from Gutenberg.
PSXtreme
Sep 08, 2013 PSXtreme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very complex little book. What originally appeared to be a couple of hour read (140 pages) got all complicated and jumbled. Mostly you were trying to figure out what was being referenced by a society that had been destroyed 2 centuries earlier when the Earth and moon were ripped from their orbit by another planet and hurled into the cosmos. Don't try to read this one tired, you'll get lost by page 10.
Jared
Mar 04, 2012 Jared rated it really liked it
Not my favorite Pohl--maybe a 3 1/2. It's an interesting premise, but the story is too disjointed to have the desired impact. Pohl and Kornbluth's natural writing talent salvages the whole thing. If you're looking for a 'We' or '1984' read alike, this'll do.
Dann
Jan 05, 2014 Dann rated it liked it
Strangely enjoyable. A little unusual, but vivid and beautiful. A decent read.
John
Mar 12, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1980 grade B

with Kornbluth
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Nadya
Nadya marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Red7paulbrennan
Red7paulbrennan rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Doug Laurence
Doug Laurence rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Jackson Bell
Jackson Bell marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Andrew Boswell
Andrew Boswell rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
  • Brain Wave
  • The Green Odyssey
  • Cosmic Engineers
  • Escape From Kathmandu
  • Man From P.I.G. And R.O.B.O.T. (Puffin Books)
  • Quest of the Three Worlds
  • Sea-Horse in the Sky: A Science Fiction Novel
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Null-A Three
  • Starburst
  • The Syndic
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...