Start by marking “Her Mother's Voice” as Want to Read:
Her Mother's Voice

Read Excerpt

Her Mother's Voice

Her Mother’s Voice is about the mother-daughter relationship and cultural conflicts. It is about a Chinese mother who is dying of cancer and her adult daughter, Emily. Emily consciously and unconsciously struggles with her Chinese identity due to her experiences of racism and alienation, growing up as a second generation Canadian in a mid-sized Ontario town. She struggles ...more
Published October 2013 by Anna Woo

To ask other readers questions about Her Mother's Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Mother's Voice

Kayleigh
Feb 04, 2015 Kayleigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, adult, ebooks
One of my favourite things about Her Mother's Voice is how easy it was to settle in. Within the first few pages, I'd already felt as if I was in the familiarity of something I'd known for a lifetime. Anna Woo has a way of writing that is graceful, honest, and raw while keeping a steady flow making it slightly addictive. Her Mother's Voice is a poignant story of a Chinese daughter's (Emily) struggle to be the person she wants to be over the one her Chinese mother expects her to be. To add fuel to ...more
Jexiness
Mar 20, 2014 Jexiness rated it really liked it
This novel strikes close to my heart, as a second generation Chinese constantly battling with the cultural gap between my adopted world and that of my ancestral world, and the universal message that we truly are the sum of all things that make us who we are. Anna Woo has crafted a beautifully poignant tale.
Naomi Zener
Apr 02, 2015 Naomi Zener rated it really liked it
Mother-daughter relationships are always rife with struggle, but add in end of life issues and cultural divides, it becomes more pronounced. Her Mother's Voice gives a fly-on-the-wall perspective into this intricate relationship and delicate balance maintained throughout.
Marisa
Sep 23, 2014 Marisa rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
What I liked most of all about “Her Mother’s Voice” is that it felt authentic. Having grown up with many friends who struggled balancing cultural heritage with what was “normal”, I related to Emily and her insecurities. Despite the self-doubt, Emily still shows strength through her tug-of-war and conflicted relationship with her mother. She still yearns to show the love they have for each other before time runs out.

I enjoyed it and will be very interested to see future novels by Anna Woo!

Who sho
Anna Woo
Jan 30, 2014 Anna Woo rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: asian-literature
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
I have always had a love for writing. In 1993, I was published in a collection of short stories called Sharing our Experience, by the Canadian Advisory Council on the Status of Women. It was very exciting, but I had a stronger desire to return to school for psychotherapy training at that time.

In 2000, I took a course in writing short stories at the University of Toronto with Kent Nussey. This is w
More about Anna Woo...