Start by marking “The Earl Who Played With Fire (Muses of Mayfair, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Earl Who Played With Fire (Muses of Mayfair, #4)

The Earl Who Played With Fire (Muses of Mayfair #4)

A woman courting ruin...

No one would suspect prim, proper Prudence Etchingham of lusting after her best friend’s brother. Nor would anyone guess that she’s responsible for dozens of the best forgeries in London’s antiquities markets. But if her love for Alex is doomed to fail, she must raise enough money to escape the marriage mart. She just needs one last, daring forgery
Published November 19th 2013 by Sara Ramsey (first published November 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl Who Played With Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl Who Played With Fire

Dee
In this the final instalment of the Muses of Mayfair series we follow the story of Prudence and Alex. Prudence has been desperately in love with Alex (her friend’s brother) for years but it would seem that he didn’t return her feelings, she was devastated but determined that she would only marry for love which meant that she had to leave. This seemed a good idea in theory but in reality she is without financial means and would need to make a suitable match so that she can live in security. ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
I'm not a hundred percent certain how I felt about this book. On one hand, I love the series, I loved the characters, and the chemistry was delightful. On the other, the whole supernatural element that came into play with the curse fell a bit flat for me, not due to the writing, but because I'm simply not in the mood for paranormal romance, even when the "paranormal" elements are so light.

I'll have to think on that a bit more I think..

For now though, 4/5 Stars
Joan Osborne
Nov 02, 2016 Joan Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Earl with a curse

This was an interesting story about an Earl cursed from a wish he had made on an ancient dagger. Alex loved Prudence but because of his curse, he refused to marry her for fear that the curse would take her life. Before he could marry his love, he had to find a way to end the curse. Of course there was a Duke, a former friend of Alex, who was also cursed and didn't wish the curse to end. Both had wished on the dagger when they were young but for different things. The Duke play
Carol Bisig
Dec 05, 2016 Carol Bisig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witty, Charming, and Happily Ever After!

The last of the Muses, Prudence, an Antiguties expert, good enough to forge, if push comes to shove; and shove she did! Alex, the boring Earl , finally comes to life. The threat of losing Prudence forever, to his nemesis Thorckington, the Duke of, he decides he needs to find a way to keep her. I have to say, all through this book, I fell in love with "the bad guy". I found Thorckington to be most interesting! I was thrilled at the end of the book, to see w
Mainer207
Oct 16, 2016 Mainer207 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars.

Beth
Sep 30, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take

It's interesting to read about forgery in the 1800's and the trouble people can get into. Prudence wants to escape the reality of living in the same house as Alex who she's in love with. She made fake artifacts for the money to escape and live alone. Alex got involved with a curse and won't have her because the curse would kill her. Involved in this story is everyone from the other books and 2 new characters....The Duke and the antiques dealer. The dialogue between everyone is sm
Tracy
Dec 31, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I liked this book - not quite as much as the others, but it was a good read nonetheless

I would agree with another reviewer who said they didn't recognize these characters from the previous books. Both Prudence and Alex seemed like totally different people from the Alex and Pru that I meet in the other books and in all honesty - I liked them better before I read this book

Prudence bordered on being a total shrew in this book. She came across as petty, selfish and a bit spiteful - I didn't hate he
Richard
Jun 06, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
Alas, the irony of picking up Sara Ramsey's first book for free on US Independence Day. :-) This was the only book from her I was able to buy from outside the US. (Boo!).

On the other hand, I wasn't able to put this book down from start to finish.

From the description, I was a bit cautious of these characters with "secrets" to hide. It seems like a lame trope to me. Fortunately, it's not so lame as that. But one of the secrets is, erm, a bit fantastic.
It's really quite dark.

I was impressed by the
Sierra
Jul 08, 2016 Sierra rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book!! And I did, but not enough. This is my first book from this author, and while the writing was good, the characters fell a bit flat for me. Prudence came off petulant and not at all prudent. Unfortunately, her character felt underdeveloped. Alex, the supposed scholar, was lackluster and dispassionate. In all honesty,I found myself rooting for the villain, the Duke of Thorington for most of the book. The supernatural element of this book intrigued me, and the ...more
Amanda
Maybe Heiress Without a Cause set the bar too high or I'm getting too picky but I was hoping for more from this book. Especially since it was Prudence's story and she's my favorite Muse. I did enjoy it though, even if I think it could have been much better.

Alex and Prudence were great characters, although I do wish that we had been given some context of how and why they fell for each other in the first place. Sure they'd supposedly been not so secretly in love with each other for years and share
Jessie
Jan 22, 2015 Jessie rated it it was ok
The two characters of Alex and Prudence intrigued me enough during the first and second book to give this last one in the series a try. While the whole notion of a curse causing the rift between the characters is a big far-fetched and ridiculous, it was interesting. I'm a fan of history and Egyptology so those aspects kept my motivation up but like the other books, I just couldn't stop myself from thinking that being a woman during this particular period in England is just terrible. I've read ...more
GONZA
Dec 12, 2013 GONZA rated it liked it
Very nice the conclusion of this series that has fascinated me from the beginning, even though my favorite character only at the end had the story she deserved; although I will miss this series, I'm however glad that next year there will be the novel starring the "cursed" met in this book.

Molto carina la conclusione di questa serie che mi ha affascinato sin dall'inizio, anche se il mio personaggio preferito ha avuto solo alla fine la storia che meritava; anche se questa serie mi mancherá sono co
Sandy Digger
Jun 05, 2016 Sandy Digger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Earl Who Played With Fire

This is Prudence's story. In previous books it was hinted at who Prue loved but this book tells how long she waited for him. It's a hard tale to read as the outcome isn't what it seems like as you're reading . Prudence turns out to be quite enterprising, she is good at making fake antiquities to survive. Alex is quite frustrating as he doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind. He acts like he cares and then like he doesn't, poor Prue despairs of ever hearing that
Agaughan68
Mar 24, 2016 Agaughan68 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! By the fourth book in the series I thought I would be tired of it, but oh, no! It got better. Thoroughly enjoyed the hero and heroine. The twist with him being "cursed" was new for the plot (at least for me). I also enjoyed that Prudence and her mother reconciled. The Duke of Thornbridge was a good addition as a villain, but we all know he will have his own book and the he will be a broken character who will need some healing of his own. Overall, I enjoyed the Muses.
Kate
May 18, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok
I didn't like Alex and so I didn't enjoy this book that much. I spent a fair amount of time wishing the plot of the book would be different than the blurb and that Prudence would move past an infatuation with Alex with Thorington. I found him to be loads more interesting.

I also thought the curse was flat out ludicrous.
Cindy Woods
Boring first half

I almost tossed this book after the first quarter of it....It was boring and had a confusing plot. It finally got a little interesting and then actually was good by the halfway point. But this book probably could use editting before being published. The plot was,decent but it took a long time to get to the point.
Rosa
Nov 27, 2016 Rosa rated it really liked it
Ok - just a thought... would it not make sense that if Alex was spending so much time trying to break the curse, he was spending time away from his studies/work. If that was the case, wouldn't the curse have to break itself...just saying/
Andrea Akers
Dec 28, 2015 Andrea Akers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muses of Mayfair #4

The conclusion to the Muses series. Prudence and Alex have loved from afar for years but are they able to find their way into each others arms? Love will find a way.
Annie
Apr 14, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it
3.7
I'm not fully sure how I feel about this book plot wise wise (the reason why they couldn't be together was a bit meh and ~silly) but I really liked Alex and Prudence as characters. I would have given it a 3 if not for them.
Irene Ramos
Apr 28, 2015 Irene Ramos rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-ebook
It was hard for me to get into this story. The Characters (Prudence and Alex) didn't clicked for me. It was not until halfway into the book that I started liking the story. I was happy that I did not give up during the first part of the book.
Debi
Dec 29, 2015 Debi rated it really liked it
This was the first book that I read from the series. I didn't realize that it was part of a series when I began reading it. It wasn't a problem though & I look forward to reading the other books. Thus was a fun historical romance.
Moira
Jun 10, 2014 Moira rated it really liked it
It was fun, even if a bit predictable (of course the guaranteed happy ending is partly why I enjoy books like this). Though I wish it wasn't the end if the series, I would like to see Thorington redeemed.
Nicole
Nov 16, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: sara-ramsey
I would give this book 3.5 stars. I expected more ... I had the feeling of running in circles while reading this book.
Melissa
Nov 15, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Not a favorite of the series, but in no means a bad book. The characters just seemed different from their previous appearances, and the supernatural was a little out there.
Maria
Jul 05, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
A bit less rhythm than the other books in the series, plus there's the whole curse thing that might throw you off a bit, but it was still a pretty good read, with good characters. 3 and a half stars.
Yati
Jan 02, 2016 Yati rated it it was amazing
Superb!
Love the storyline and all the characters especially the main characters (both Prue & Alex) ...quite interesting and love the ending ...really worth buying and reading!
Patricia Perez
May 06, 2015 Patricia Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I loved Alex and Prudence story. All the laughing and loving was so great. . Now on to the Duke's story. This is a must-read book.
Jenny Anderson
Jenny Anderson rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Kelsey Leah
Kelsey Leah rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Stephanie Reynolds
Stephanie Reynolds rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 16, 2015 10:17AM
  • If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To #3)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • Twilight with the Infamous Earl (Lords of Vice, #7)
  • His Wicked Heart (Secrets & Scandals #2)
  • Good Earl Hunting
  • How to Entice an Earl (Ugly Ducklings, #3)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • Too Tempting to Resist (Lords of Midnight, #2)
  • The Spinster's Secret (Midnight Quill, #2)
  • The Duchess Diaries (Boscastle #12; The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
  • Lady Hathaway's Indecent Proposal (Hathaway Heirs)
  • Gareth: Lord of Rakes (Lonely Lords, #6)
  • Loving the Earl (Secrets & Seduction, #2)
  • A Secret Proposal (Secret Brides, #1.5)
  • Scandal's Mistress (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #2)
  • A Time of Dying (Araneae Nation, #3)
Sara Ramsey writes fun, feisty Regency historical romances. She won the prestigious 2009 Romance Writers of America Golden Heart award with her second book, Scotsmen Prefer Blondes. Her first book, Heiress Without A Cause, was a 2011 Golden Heart finalist.

Hopelessly uncool as a child, Sara has overcompensated by becoming obsessed with fashion, shoes, and #regencyworldproblems. She has great taste
More about Sara Ramsey...

Muses of Mayfair (4 books)
  • Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair, #1)
  • Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (Muses of Mayfair, #2)
  • The Marquess Who Loved Me (Muses of Mayfair, #3)