Start by marking “The Boy in the Green Suit: An Innocent Abroad in the Middle East” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Green Suit: An Innocent Abroad in the Middle East

The Boy in the Green Suit: An Innocent Abroad in the Middle East

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Here is an unusual and beautifully written Australian memoir destined to become a classic that captures the vulnerability and ardour of youth, and the fragility and strength of parental love.

It is 1965. Robert Hillman, a mere 16 years old, is planning an extraordinary adventure. Deserted by his mother, disliked by his stepmother, and puzzled by his father, Bobby needs comf
Published January 4th 2005 by Summersdale Publishers (first published January 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Green Suit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Green Suit

Kai
This is a delightful book. It's so innocent and naive and hence amusing and a beautiful picture of youth. I particularly liked his expectation that the world was waiting just for him wherever he went and that everyone would think him sophisticated, enviable and desirable. All folly! His adventures are remarkable and his ability as a 16-17 year old to overcome significant tribulations is remarkable. A joy to read.
Bronwyn Rykiert
I found this story frustrating at times, I did not think much of the boy traveller.

I can't believe that Robert was able to get his passport and get on a ship bound for Ceylon at 16 years of age in the 1960's, especiall with not having a true plan and it turns out any knowledge of the world around him. His father seemed to have not cared about his well being.

Starting straight away to shun the powers that be, like not going to Embassy in Greece as he was supposed to - it seems he was very lucky th
Kristygardiner
Amazing story. Love the fact that its set in Eildon just on the other side of the lake from our town! There are so many men in this area like his Dad. It was frustrating Bobby wore the green suit the whole time (even when he outgrew it) and only went to middle eastern countries!!! I kept thinking, what about Europe Bobby??? Surely easier to get work... Talk about doing it tough and being totally unprepared. I guess that's what happens when a 16 year old boy decides to have an adventure looking f ...more
Sara Foley
I loved this story - I even loved the main character even though he was an idiot. Don't worry, his older self who was writing about him thought so too. I was thoroughly engaged and amused the whole way through.
Janet
An interesting read...A coming of age memoir set in the 60's and winner of the National Biography Award in 2005 (Australia)
Shanika
Shanika marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Susan Austin
Susan Austin marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Alice Petherbridge
Alice Petherbridge marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Judih Weinstein Haggai
Judih Weinstein Haggai is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2014
Paul Cheney
Paul Cheney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Robert Hillman has written a number of books including his 2004 memoir The Boy in the Green Suit, which won the National Biography Award. He lives in Warburton in Victoria’s Yarra Valley.
More about Robert Hillman...
Joyful My Life As a Traitor: A Story of Courage and Survival in Tehran's Brutal Evin Prison The Honey Thief: Fiction Gurrumul Malini (Through My Eyes, #5)