Start by marking “All My Friends are Superheroes” as Want to Read:
All My Friends are Superheroes
Preview

All My Friends are Superheroes

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,281 ratings  ·  584 reviews
All Tom's friends really are superheroes. Tom even married a superhero, the Perfectionist. But at their wedding the Perfectionist is hypnotised by her ex, Hypno, to believe that Tom is invisible. Nothing he does can make her see him. Six months later the Perfectionist is sure that Tom has abandoned her, so she's moving to Vancouver. She'll use her superpowers to leave all ...more
Hardcover, Gift edition , 126 pages
Published October 3rd 2013 by Telegram Books (first published October 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about All My Friends are Superheroes, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Apr 05, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by the Title and Cover
3 stars. It'll make you smile. The perfect mental gargle after a few heavy novels, creative and just plain fun. Fantasy with a judicious touch of magical realism, everyone in it's a superhero (except for the main character) but they’re subtle about it, we're not talking a bunch of flamboyant cape wearers. Instead each person’s strongest characteristic is what defines their super-power, bet you’ll find yourself wondering what yours would be...
It can be silly, so prepare for a few eye rolling m
Tfitoby
This book is totally adorable. It's not going to change your life, it's not Earth-shattering prose, it's just plain unadulterated pleasure to read.

I wish I could've finished it in one sitting but it's difficult to finish 107 pages on the bus journey to work. But then again if I had finished it without pause I wouldn't have known what it was like to put it down and feel the need to pick it up again.

There's not much I can tell you without spoiling it BUT it is a wonderful love story AND the superh
Leah
A perfectly sweet little book. I read it in less than an hour, which I love.

It has something of the romantic comedy about it, and something delightfully quirky that I have come to associate with Canadian creations - although admittedly I am mostly thinking of Scott Pilgrim here. A little off-centre, a little tongue-in-cheek, it's kind of like one perfect slice of cake: not too big, not too small, leaves you feeling all warm and gooey inside without feeling overindulged.

The little vignettes of t
Melki
Tom is just a regular guy, though all his friends are not. They are SUPERHEROES with SUPER POWERS! True, their powers may be somewhat odd. There's The Businessman who can calculate the net worth of passersby, The Couch Surfer, a man imbued with the ability to live off of his friends' generosity and Tom's new bride, The Perfectionist, whose source of power is her need for order.

Alas, their love story goes pear shaped on their wedding day when a suggestion made by one of Perf's old beaus, Hypno,
Sara
Not sure where to start. Well, let's start from the cover: "Buy it, borrow it, steal it but just make sure you read it". Dear Mr. Scott Pack (whoever you are), if I ended up in jail for stealing this book I would be really, REALLY pissed off. I think the author wanted to be all deep and profound, trying to convey a message camouflaged under a weird story (is there a story? I just saw a collection of episodes and descriptions). Well, if there was a message, I thought it was VERY, VERY well camouf ...more
Sarah SE
This book actually changed my life. Almost three years ago, way back when I was still a Masters student accumulating my current mountain of debt, my classmates and I went on a tour of Coach House Books, one of Canada's oldest, most reputable and award-winning independent publishers. I instantly fell in love with the space (an actual old coach house built sometime in the late 1800s), and the Heidelberg-printed books were a bibliophile's dream. I bought a book; this book. I read it, and I've been ...more
Evie
This book was a sweet surprise. I picked it up by chance at a yard sale knowing nothing about it. I started it before bed and when I forgot to take it to work with me the next day, all I could think about was when I could go home to finish it. Completely charming.

EDIT: I have lent this book to three people since I've read it, and all loved it. Even those who are not prolific readers devoured it quickly and joyfully.
Hanne
If you’re ever nostalgic for bedtime stories, the ones that made you float to another world that was both sweet and sad but made you smile all the same, than this is the book for you. Reading this book felt like spending time with some of the best books of my childhood, but then the adult version.

The story is about Tom, a regular non-superhero, who married a superhero (‘The Perfectionist’). On their wedding day however, a mean ex-lover of hers who has the power of Hypnotization made sure that he
Joseph
Despite what it says in the blurb on the back of the book, this is pretty far from being what anyone might call a "novel." But as a lengthy short story, it's pretty charming.

To be honest, though, a lot of it felt like a compilation of quirky ideas that would have benefited from a little fleshing out. The paragraph-long descriptions of superheroes, for example, would have been more interesting as actual characters with whom the protagonist was forced to interact, rather than merely a clever reapp
Deniz

Benim Bütün Arkadaşlarım Süper Kahraman, 2008 yılında Türkçe'ye kazandırılmış, kısacık, başladığınız gibi biten samimi bir Andrew Kaufman eseri.

Kitabı daha önce birkaç internet sitesinde görmüştüm, kapağı ve ismi de haliyle merakımı uyandırmıştı. Abimin de tavsiyesi üzerine kitap iyice aklıma kazınmıştı ancak almamıştım, bugün abim okumam için bana bıraktı; başına oturduğum gibi de bitirdim kitabı zaten.

Benim Bütün Arkadaşlarım Süper Kahraman mizah yüklü, okuması keyifli bir öyküyü konu alıyor.
Cassandra
I Alla mina vänner är superhjältar får jag lära känna hela Torontos superhjältekrets. Det finns inga superskurkar, fast superhjältarna tycker att vissa andra superhjältar är skurkar, och jag själv upplever att gränsen mellan superhjälte och superskurk kan vara hårfin. Ta Superkollen, till exempel: han har dig som objekt under ett antal år och lär sig allt om dig. Han vet hur han ska leda in dig antingen mot framgång eller mot undergång, och bestämmer i detta ögonblick vad det ska bli. Läskigt!

At
MJ Nicholls
The binding in this book is criminal. I mean the 2006 Telegram Books edition. You can barely open the damn thing.

That's maybe a blessing. There are better ways to pass the time than reading 100 pages of saccharine whimsy. This book is so cute I want to punch its face in. Though I am sure it has its admirers.

Max Urai
The title of this book is "All my friends are Superheroes."

Congratulations, you have now read the one good thing this book has to offer.
Emma
This book is most definitely in my top three favourite books that I have read this year, its wonderful!

What I think makes this story so awesome is that there is so much to it that you might not realise straight away without giving it some thought, either way I don't see how anyone could not enjoy it.

It demonstrates how unique everyone is and how their uniqueness is close to being a superhero, not in the traditional sense by a superhero by your own definition. We can look unto others and see tha
Amy
It’s been a long time since I’ve sat down and read a book in one sitting. Possibly since the end of my undergraduate, where I had all the time in the world to sit in pyjamas and immerse myself into a fictional world. So to be able to curl up on a Saturday and both start and finish All My Friends Are Superheroes felt quite good. Let’s just ignore its 108-page-length.

Still, it’s definitely quality over quantity with this title. In short (ha. ha): I adored it. Funny, quirky, and as adorable as all
Craig Wallwork
This is my second book by Kaufman in the past three days. To say I’m bingeing on this guy is an understatement. Rarely do I do this. I can count the amount of authors on three fingers that had me want to read their whole back catalogue consecutively, and Kaufman is without exception one of those authors. All My Friends Are Superheroes is perfect in its eccentricity. It tells the story of Tom, and his wife, The Perfectionist. The Perfectionist can’t see Tom. He is invisible to her, and has been s ...more
Suad Shamma
This is my second book by Andrew Kaufman, and he blew my mind once again. I just love his style of writing, I love his wit, his sarcasm, his storytelling, his characters, his plots, his bizarre twists and turns and out of this world events, I love it all.

This book was absolutely charming and tooth-achingly sweet and short. I have been looking for this book everywhere (for some reason there is a huge lack of Kaufman in our bookstores here), and I finally found it at a random book fair. I didn't k
Blair
Andrew Kaufman's stories make me feel like Toronto is much more cool and hip than I previously thought. I feel like there is a whole group of people out there that I should be partying with. Kaufman is quickly becoming one of those rare writers where every single thing he writes drips with understated humour, intelligence, and an overall grasp of the subtle and delightful. I'd love to see what he would be able to bring to a graphic novel if paired with the right illustrator. The aside with Outca ...more
Beth Hawley
Really enjoyed this book! I was looking for a quick non-complicated book and thats what i got. It was weird,quirky and really comically written, Loved it!
Rosianna
A beautiful vignette into a world set slightly askew to our own in which all of Tom's friends really are superheroes while he is a Regular and - more tragically - invisible to his wife, The Perfectionist.

Andrew Kaufman writes with perfect humour, the right balance of detail and a sense of Tom's longing to be seen present throughout. I loved it; if Kaufman were a superhero no doubt he'd be The One Full of Little Truths You Never Really Thought About.
Noor
Such a fantastic read! I wish I could highlight the entire book. I was absolutely thrilled with it. The only reason I gave it 4 and not 5 stars was because of how short it was. Ahhhh, it's just wonderful. So wonderful. I honestly feel like reading it again right NOW even though I just finished it. This book is magic!
Jim
Mar 02, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutley everyone
This was a wonderful book. I loved it so much I went to the trouble of writing a full review on my website.

You can check it out here: What kind of superhero are you?
Leonie
This book leapt out at me, from a shelf in the corner of Oxfam. "Read me." It said. "I'm your sort of book." Looking at secondhand books on shelves in charity shops is oddly like speed dating. You read the title and author on the spine and move on if they don't appeal in the three seconds. I read the first page. I was intrigued and wanted more. And as it turned out, All My Friends Are Superheroes is the perfect match for me: a quirky tale of relationships and personalities in the real world. It ...more
Brian
This was a cute little book but I cant' say I really loved it or hated it. The main character is a common man who is married to a superhero. In fact, all of his friends have super powers, but they are very odd powers that are not normal. He is married to "The Perfectionist," who has a spell cast on her by another superhero so she finds Tom, the main character to be invisible. She decides to move away after she cant' see or hear him anymore. This was very odd, but I did enjoy the little vignettes ...more
Nikki Stafford
I love this book. I read it when it came out, and bought the 10th anniversary edition (has it really been 10 years?!) wherein Kaufman has provided more lists of superheroes, as he did in the breaks in the original edition. This book is sweet, funny, devastating, and beautiful, the story of a regular guy who falls in love with a superhero — The Perfectionist — but at the wedding something terrible happens and she can no longer see him. With him being invisible, unable to convince her he's still s ...more
Rianna Jade
"Which one?" she demanded. She moved her arms, suggesting he get in one.

Tom walked into the room and stood between the two boxes. He looked at the one marked “LOVER” and he looked at the one marked “FRIEND”. He made his decision quickly. With sharp steps he moved in front of the box marked “FRIEND”. Picking it up, he lifted it over his head and put it inside the box marked “LOVER”. Then he turned around, picked up the Perfectionist, and lifted her inside the boxes. He climbed in with her. In the
Elizabeth
Short, sweet, and super fun.
Lindsay Bray
Sweet is the perfect word to describe All my Friends are Superheroes. I can see why it pops up in so many reviews. Despite all the praise it has been getting from friends whose opinions on books I trust, I was wary going into it - the concept seemed like it could come off as a little gimmicky.

Tom is not a superhero, but everyone else in his life has some kind of power, including his wife, the Perfectionist. On the day of their wedding, she is hypnotized by her ex, The Hypnotist, into thinking t
Christine Ditzel
Tom and the Perfectionist were married on August 14, but the Perfectionist hasn't seen Tom since their reception. Her ex-boyfriend, Hypno, hypnotized her so Tom is invisible to her - and only her. Now six months later, she's on her way to Vancouver to start a new life, one without Tom, but Tom's going to do whatever he can to make her see he's sitting right there next to her.

The first thing that attracted me to All My Friends are Superheroes was the title, but then the passion with which my frie
Sheri-lee
I don't particularly like the style. It is an interesting premise and once I got used to the style, I was interested enough to want to know how it would end. Anxiety for the main character is what spurred me on...I don't particularly like that feeling while I'm reading. It also bothered me how the characters give the impression that sexually trying on people like you do clothes is the best way to find your mate. Reminiscent of "Hosea's Wife" lyrics by Brooke Fraser:

"Hosea's Wife"

• The Incident Report
  • The Amazing Absorbing Boy
  • Be Good
  • Shadow Web
  • Den onde dagen (Sagaen om Isfolket, #44)
  • Light Boxes
  • Fup
  • This Cake Is for the Party: Stories
  • One Million Lovely Letters
  • Kilter
  • The Cutting Edge Of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #2)
  • Barnacle Love
  • Coraline and Other Stories
  • The Bone Cage
  • The Drowning of Arthur Braxton
ANDREW KAUFMAN's critically acclaimed first book, All My Friends Are Superheroes, was a cult hit and has been translated into six languages. Kaufman is also an accomplished screenwriter, film-maker and radio producer and has completed a Director's Residency at the Canadian Film Centre. He lives in Toronto with his wife and their two children.
More about Andrew Kaufman...
The Tiny Wife Born Weird The Waterproof Bible Selected Business Correspondence The Complete Cinnamon Bay Sonnets

“There are two ways to get rid of an anxiety monster,my friend-you either have a bath or a nap.” 30 likes
“There is only one amount of money - just not enough.” 17 likes