Start by marking “In the Game” as Want to Read:
In the Game

In the Game

Jake Barnes, a retired (Albany, NY) police detective, is convinced that Dr. Bernard Johns killed at least two women he was dating, but Jake was forced to retire for health reasons and his daughter worries his wanting to pursue Johns will jeopardize his health. When Jake finds someone willing to hire him to investigate, he learns the job comes with a young assistant who is ...more
Published November 3rd 2013 by Expendable Man Publishing (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Game

Ronna
Nov 22, 2013 Ronna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review--

Jake Barnes is a retired Albany, NY police officer. Not that he really wanted to retire. A less than terrific heart sent him packing. His wife just recently died after a long bout with cancer, and his daughter and young grandson have moved in with him since she divorced her husband. Jake loves doing things with his grandson and has tried the golf game route, but he still has too much time on his hands.

When he sees a newspaper
Joanne
Dec 18, 2013 Joanne rated it really liked it
Peter Pollak is a colleague and friend. This is the first of his novels that I have read; but won't be the last. I liked "In the Game" a lot! Loved the Capital Region (Albany, NY) tie-ins. I found the central character, PI Jake Barnes, to be very likeable and wonder if Peter Pollak has this same character in mind for other mysteries - along the lines of Nelson DeMille's John Corey. As to the plot, the three dead women shared enough in common to advance the story without a lot of complication. ...more
Rachel
Jan 11, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: won
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and overall, it was just...okay. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fantastic, either. At risk of sounding like a middle school English teacher, a lot of the narration was "telling" instead of showing. Most of the dialogue sounded very unnatural -- to read it out loud would sound awkward and forced. The plot was interesting, though, and despite my near-certainty that it would end happily, I wanted to finish it to find out what happened next.

So I don't thin
Peter
Nov 19, 2013 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)
In keeping with my belief that writers should NOT rate their own books, I'm merely posting this comment to let people know a little about how this story came about.

In the Game began as a story idea four or five years ago. I completed a first draft two years ago, but wasn't satisfied with the ending. After putting in on the shelf for a year, I came back to it early this year, re-wrote the ending and shared it with several beta readers, each of whom encouraged me to publish it.

After more edits i
Esther
Jan 04, 2014 Esther rated it liked it
Won this book thru Goodreads. Interesting story, easy to read. The lead character, Jake Barnes, is very likeable and I would like to see him in another book.
Celeste
Dec 04, 2013 Celeste rated it liked it
I was given this book thrue the goodreads first reads giveaway program. Thank You Peter Pollak for the book. It was my first to read. I got right on it.
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Bob Sirrine
Bob Sirrine rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Teresa Lavender
Teresa Lavender marked it as to-read
Haven Gordon
Haven Gordon marked it as to-read
Joyce Yanney
Joyce Yanney marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Linda Turner
Linda Turner marked it as to-read
Gwynn
Gwynn marked it as to-read
Gordon Bingham
Gordon Bingham marked it as to-read
Cynthia Waterman
Cynthia Waterman marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Lisa Cobb Sabatini marked it as to-read
Kim Hathorn
Kim Hathorn marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Patricia Bergman
Patricia Bergman marked it as to-read
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Sharon Oom
Sharon Oom marked it as to-read
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Ginny Nilson
Ginny Nilson marked it as to-read
Melissa ahmed
Melissa ahmed marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Luisa Gonzalez
Luisa Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Shayne
Shayne marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Patricia Baker
Patricia Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
I'm passionate about writing stories that readers don't want to put down.

My fifth novel, a thriller entitled House Divided, was released in February 2015. Some people think it's my best yet.

If you read all five, I'd like to hear which one you think is the best and why.

My first four are The Expendable Man (2011)--a thriller, two mysteries--Making the Grade (2012) and In the Game (2013), and a sus
More about Peter G. Pollak...