Start by marking “Stag: A Story” as Want to Read:
Stag: A Story

Stag: A Story

The first story in "The Youth & Young Loves of Oliver Wade: Stories" available now.

Eighth-grader Ollie Wade is dreading the school dance. Unlike his four friends, it isn't because he can't land a date... it's because he doesn't want one. All he wants is to keep to himself and get through the night with his secret intact. Going stag might be his best defense -- if he's
Published November 2nd 2013

To ask other readers questions about Stag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stag

Lena♥Ribka
Dec 06, 2013 Lena♥Ribka rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

Another little gem.

A touching, sweet, WELL WRITTEN story!

And sooooo true!...

I want more of Ben Monopoli!

The best books are often discovered by pure chance.
I'm glad that it happened again.

Sheri
Oct 15, 2016 Sheri rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sheri by: Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Shelves: ya
I love me some Monopoli. I haven't exactly forgotten how much I love me some Monopoli but this was a swift reminder of my slacking fangirl responsibilities.
I have many more Monopoli words to discover...and I can't wait!

Thanks for the heads up on the freebie alert Doc *muah*
I devoured it...I ached for Oliver...and of course Taylor....and I plan on continuing with Ollie's story ASAP. Yipppeeeeeee for more to come. Granted it was a morsel of a story but I was thrilled with it regardless of the pa
Cory
Nov 05, 2013 Cory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ben-monopoli
I've absolutely loved everything I've ever read from Ben Monopoli. I'm able to relate so easily and his writing style has a way of drawing me in so I don't want to put the book down until it's completed.

That was pretty easy with this one since it was really short, but still powerful none the less. Poor Ollie got himself into a situation that he didn't really want to be in, but didn't know how to get out of.

The following really stuck with me....."I found myself hoping she got in a car accident on
Lauraadriana
Oh Ben Monopoli, the things you did to my poor heart in 377 Kindle locations.

Ollie who we met in The Painting of Porcupine City looking back at his struggle to keep who he was, WHAT he was a secret as a teenager. The anguish of feeling that there wasn't a single person who would be OK with it. That "this thing" made him be unkind, rude, even dispicable. That he had to keep it all inside. Not one person could know.

I was there with Ollie at that dance, and my heart broke for him. Ben Monopoli has
Isabel
Dec 16, 2013 Isabel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Isabel by: Lena♥Ribka
Shelves: m-m, favorite-mm, short
What a perfect short book! Not only is well written, is also very powerful! Oliver is on a stage of his life that the fear of being rejected by his family and friends, leaded him to a poor choice, a choice that he never imagined could hurt others!

I want to know more about Oliver... he can't be STAG forever, can he???

Sofia
Dec 09, 2013 Sofia rated it really liked it
Good writing. Felt desperately sad for the characters involved, all of them really, the angst of growing up got to me. I felt bad for Ollie, Jessica, Taylor, Boyd and the other boys.

Will have to try other works by Mr Monopoli.
☆ Todd
Mar 02, 2015 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it
I truly hope that things have change enough in these last few decades that neither boys like Ollie nor girls like Taylor have to go through something like the events in this short story again.

A nice girl, wanting nothing more than to go to the dance with a nice boy.

A nice boy, wanting nothing more than to crawl under the bleachers and make the world go away.

I remember being so fearful of my true self being found out in my tiny hometown of 500 people in (very) rural Tennessee, that like Ollie, I'
Barbara
Dec 12, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Barbara by: Lena♥Ribka

I didnt know the meaning of the word : STAG!! Now I know...

Lovely story!

Sometimes adolescence, is not an easy journey, it's a struggle to define yourself!! Oliver I just wanted to hug you!!!

Ben Monopoli ...
 photo tumblr_lno44rCD261qblf8do1_500_zps8bb65f16.gif
Jax
Aug 26, 2014 Jax rated it it was amazing
Wow. Not what I was expecting. Through Ollie we see the reality for many LGBT kids who are feeling sad and scared and wondering how they're going to live their lives being so different from everyone else. And it also shows the harm they can do to others while dealing with their own stuff. Well done.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Kindle freebie today! 10/10/16!
Trisha Harrington
This was a nice short. It's not a romance. But that doesn't mean m/m fans won't like it. There's a lot of power in it. This could break your heart a little bit because there is so much fear. I won't say a lot. But I think it is definitely worth a read.
A
Nov 07, 2013 A rated it it was amazing
This is a touching story about Oliver, a character from Monopoli's outstanding book, The Painting of Porcupine City. Oliver is 13, an awkward time for any kid, and the anticipation of the grad dance just adds an even more stressful layer. He knows he can't do what he's expected to do -- take a girl to the dance -- and finds relief in the idea of going stag. Until he's suddenly not going stag. This isn't so much of a coming of age story, but a pre-coming of age story, and it's heartbreaking yet ...more
Trevor
Nov 07, 2013 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
Great short story, loved the lead character, and his struggles with being himself - I'm sure all of us straight or gay can relate to this.

Can't wait to read more about Oliver.
Justin
Sep 18, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
Great story! Very short yet powerful.

Thank you to the author for the gift.
Owaiz
Jun 18, 2016 Owaiz rated it it was amazing
4 stars actually -- which is pretty good for a short story; the 5th is just to give a boost to the author.

I liked the story, so heart-wrenching and sad. And then there's the bigger meaning, the implications, the heartbreaks that are the result of a society that refuses to have an open mind, the heavy-burden it places on the little shoulders. If I say more I'll give away the story, so go on and read instead.
C
Nov 04, 2013 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, favorite-author
A well-written story should not only make you feel with and for the main character, but also for the supporting characters. In this one, Ben Monopoli succeeded completely. It broke my heart.

I wish I were eloquent and able to express the hows and whys and what-it-all-means of it, but I'm not. So I'll just say that this very short story will stick with me for a long time, just like every other Monopoli book I've read.
Natalie
Nov 05, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
A little slice of adolescent pain and awkwardness. Beautifully written.

(It looks like this may end up as part of a larger collection of stories about Ollie, in which case I can't wait.)
Pavellit Off
Sep 22, 2016 Pavellit Off rated it really liked it
So sweet-naïve story about the initial thrills of self-awareness and its countering.

“She’s been crying half the night,”“You need to go dance with her while you still have time.” “
“I’m waiting for the right song.”
“Stop being such a fucking wimp,Ollie, you’re her date,”
“I’m stag.”

Coming back to something so familiar.......Lovely memories!Lovely read!
Onyx
It's rather mind-boggling how short Stag: A Story is. A short story shouldn't be this poignant, but Monopoli manages to surprise readers with this quiet, emotional little gem.

Taking us to the mind of a young, closeted teenager, Monopoli shares the crippling peer pressure Ollie faces leading up to and attending the middle school dance. The weight of his silence turns him into a sullen, angry, and hurtful young person. And it's painful not just for him, but everyone who cares about him.

I'm no cr
K.C. Beaumont
This was a short, angsty, precious gem of a story. I just wanted to hug the poor guy. I loved Ollie's brief appearance in Mr. Monopoli's full-length novel The Painting of Porcupine City, and can't wait to read more about him.
Marq
Nov 06, 2013 Marq rated it it was amazing
Monopoli has yet to miss with anything he writes. This is a short story and well worth the small amount of time it takes to read. Enjoy!
Jucilene
Aug 05, 2016 Jucilene rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, m-m, short-read
I read this book last week and forgot to review... anyway...
I felt so bad for the girls around Ollie, Bleh!! But he was merely a teen by that time. I would love read more of him, yeah, yeah...
Shahreen
Nov 08, 2013 Shahreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Lance
Nov 05, 2013 Lance rated it it was amazing
I <3 Ben!!!
Maulik
Dec 14, 2014 Maulik rated it really liked it
There were abundant moments during the reading of this one that I sought to hug the nearest pillow in empathising with Ollie. It reminded me of a time not too long ago that similar feelings coursed through me: "No one must know about this 'thing'". It does tug at quite a few heartstrings to arrive at a certain level of compassion for this uncertainty, which doesn't wholly yet understandably does excuse Ollie's actions, which speak to the challenges of finding oneself while being surrounded by ...more
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
A short story of teen angst and melodrama at it's finest. ;) This is a short story of Ollie, who we meet briefly at the end of The Painting of Porcupine City. Here's Ollie's in junior high and is facing the horror of the annual school dance. He was supposed to go stag but that doesn't work out for him and everything derails in true teen melodrama fashion. It's a fun if frustrating read because don't we all remember being that stupid at that age?
Melissa Fox
Dec 18, 2013 Melissa Fox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yay
Guh. So full of uncomfortable, yearning, wishing and hoping for better but resigned for the worst Oliver honest feelings. A short, poignant story sure to resonate. Another oh-so-lovely offering from Mr. Monopoli - thank you.
Jeffery
Dec 19, 2013 Jeffery rated it liked it
Stag is a very powerful short story revolving a closeted kid and a school dance. I enjoyed the writing style as well as the story thoroughly.
Aniko
Dec 26, 2013 Aniko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
4.5 to 4.75 stars
Zane Kage
Oct 13, 2016 Zane Kage rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • The Red Sheet
  • 151 Days (Tales from Foster High, #6)
  • Chulito
  • Silent
  • Here's to You, Zeb Pike
  • Kieran & Drew
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Desert Dropping
  • The Tradesman's Entrance
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • Falling Away
  • Just Desserts (Petit Morts, #14)
  • Suicide Watch
  • Fearless
  • Racing for the Sun
  • Broken Phoenix
Ben Monopoli lives in Boston with his husband, Chris. His newest book is The Youth & Young Loves of Oliver Wade: Stories.
More about Ben Monopoli...

“I feel so dirty now," I whispered dramatically.
"I need a chemical baaath." (Oliver)”
0 likes