Start by marking “Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme” as Want to Read:
Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme

Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme

Dreamgirl: My Life As a Supreme
Mass Market Paperback, 337 pages
Published August 10th 1987 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamgirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamgirl

The Royals by Kitty KelleyDiana by Andrew MortonMommie Dearest by Christina CrawfordHollywood Babylon by Kenneth AngerNatalie Wood by Lana Wood
Get the Dirt!
108th out of 124 books — 20 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsRena's Promise by Rena Kornreich GelissenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtEscape by Carolyn Jessop
Best Memoirs
147th out of 164 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Davida
Dec 08, 2010 Davida rated it liked it
While I loved that I got to learn more about the early days of Motown, this book was just ok. I think Mary was not all the way honest-she skimmed over a lot and I don't think we got to know her. She was there yet told the story like a bystander.
Martin
Feb 04, 2011 Martin rated it it was amazing
This book was much better written than I thought it would be. An old gay friend of mine used to talk about this book a lot and I understand why. Scenes are described in such an evocative way that they leave an indelible mark on one's memory -- their high school years, Diana's fights with the other Motown women on the road, and the pain of having to fire Florence. A lot of thought is put into why Florence foundered as the group became famous, with Mary pinpointing the deciding moment as Florence' ...more
Michael Holland
Oct 23, 2011 Michael Holland rated it really liked it
As selfish as Diana Ross was/is, Mary comes off as quite the diva herself, and seems to accuse Diana of some of the very types of things she did herself. But it is an emotional journey, though her sanctimonious plea that she will avenge Flo Ballard's loss of stature in the Supremes, a little oft putting since she barely kept in touch with Florence either. But the history of Motown is chronicled through the eyes of a rising star, and the accounts are quite interesting.
Jamie B
May 20, 2008 Jamie B rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Once you read this book you will have a COMPLETELY different perspective of Diana Ross. She truly was a diva in her day--and I don't mean that in a good way. The real tragedy of this story is how Florence Ballard was treated in the group and even after her death (at her own funeral). It's an amazing read that is very insightful about the Motown era and the lives of The Supremes.
James
Jan 23, 2009 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting look at the music business and specifically the way Motown operated in its heyday. Diana Ross was a bitch -- who would have guessed?
Donna
Jul 07, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Christmas present way back in 1987 or so and avoided reading it. Probably because I knew it would change my feelings about Diana Ross. I was right. If I read between the lines correctly, she held back. She could have or should have seriously trashed Berry Gordon and Diane Ross.

I didn’t realize the girls started in grammar school and stayed together so tightly for so long believing in their dream. Florence Ballard was originally thought to be THE voice, only to be sacri
Kath
Mar 14, 2014 Kath rated it it was ok
Although some of the information about the history of Motown was interesting this was written by someone with a very good opinion of themselves and plenty of bitterness towards others, although often couched in a pseudo affectionate way. The lifestyle is not one I envy at all, particularly her perceived romantic account of an affair with the married Tom Jones.
Suzanne Kelly
Jan 24, 2016 Suzanne Kelly rated it liked it
Interesting look into the early days of Motown.
Eddy
Aug 28, 2013 Eddy rated it really liked it
Interesting read about Motown, I admit I had to look up a few of the artists Wilson mentioned on Spotify but that was the fun part. I think Wilson was brave for writing this book. Reading of how selfish and cruel Ross behaved was disturbing. And finding out how Ballard became self destructive and was ruthlessly pushed out of the scene was painful. I don't think I will view Ross quite the same again. Maybe I'll read her autobiography, maybe.
Simone Alyse
I loved the book! When people think of the Supremes, they think of Diana Ross, but this book looks at Mary Wilson's point of view. It also tells more about how the group got started, and the drama that happened behind closed doors. I would recommend this book to anyone who was an old Supremes fan, and wondered what happened between them.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 26, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it liked it
Non-fiction. Life as a Supreme told from Mary Wilson's perspective. She did not like Diana Ross. Said that she was a jerk!
Vicky Beltz
Feb 09, 2013 Vicky Beltz rated it really liked it
The one in between two talented singers.
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Evin Tuttle
Evin Tuttle marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Bette
Bette marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Blaise
Blaise marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Isoken
Isoken marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Delta Dawn
Delta Dawn rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Andrea Deazley
Andrea Deazley marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
CLARENCE J .SEGERS
CLARENCE J .SEGERS rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Lucymcg
Lucymcg marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016