Start by marking “Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme” as Want to Read:
Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme

Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  12 reviews
More than 40 years ago, three girls from the Detroit projects made the world 'Stop!' and take notice of their fresh harmonies and classy style. Cultivated by the Motown star machine, Mary Wilson, Diana Ross, and Florence Ballard popped onto the charts with hits like "Baby Love" and "Where Did Our Love Go" and made the Supremes not only a household name, but rock and roll l ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 337 pages
Published August 10th 1987 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamgirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamgirl

Martin
This book was much better written than I thought it would be. An old gay friend of mine used to talk about this book a lot and I understand why. Scenes are described in such an evocative way that they leave an indelible mark on one's memory -- their high school years, Diana's fights with the other Motown women on the road, and the pain of having to fire Florence. A lot of thought is put into why Florence foundered as the group became famous, with Mary pinpointing the deciding moment as Florence' ...more
Jamie B
Once you read this book you will have a COMPLETELY different perspective of Diana Ross. She truly was a diva in her day--and I don't mean that in a good way. The real tragedy of this story is how Florence Ballard was treated in the group and even after her death (at her own funeral). It's an amazing read that is very insightful about the Motown era and the lives of The Supremes.
Davida
While I loved that I got to learn more about the early days of Motown, this book was just ok. I think Mary was not all the way honest-she skimmed over a lot and I don't think we got to know her. She was there yet told the story like a bystander.
James
Very interesting look at the music business and specifically the way Motown operated in its heyday. Diana Ross was a bitch -- who would have guessed?
Donna
I received this book as a Christmas present way back in 1987 or so and avoided reading it. Probably because I knew it would change my feelings about Diana Ross. I was right. If I read between the lines correctly, she held back. She could have or should have seriously trashed Berry Gordon and Diane Ross.

I didn’t realize the girls started in grammar school and stayed together so tightly for so long believing in their dream. Florence Ballard was originally thought to be THE voice, only to be sacri
Kath
Although some of the information about the history of Motown was interesting this was written by someone with a very good opinion of themselves and plenty of bitterness towards others, although often couched in a pseudo affectionate way. The lifestyle is not one I envy at all, particularly her perceived romantic account of an affair with the married Tom Jones.
Michael Holland
As selfish as Diana Ross was/is, Mary comes off as quite the diva herself, and seems to accuse Diana of some of the very types of things she did herself. But it is an emotional journey, though her sanctimonious plea that she will avenge Flo Ballard's loss of stature in the Supremes, a little oft putting since she barely kept in touch with Florence either. But the history of Motown is chronicled through the eyes of a rising star, and the accounts are quite interesting.
Eddy
Interesting read about Motown, I admit I had to look up a few of the artists Wilson mentioned on Spotify but that was the fun part. I think Wilson was brave for writing this book. Reading of how selfish and cruel Ross behaved was disturbing. And finding out how Ballard became self destructive and was ruthlessly pushed out of the scene was painful. I don't think I will view Ross quite the same again. Maybe I'll read her autobiography, maybe.
Simone Alyse
I loved the book! When people think of the Supremes, they think of Diana Ross, but this book looks at Mary Wilson's point of view. It also tells more about how the group got started, and the drama that happened behind closed doors. I would recommend this book to anyone who was an old Supremes fan, and wondered what happened between them.
Sue
Non-fiction. Life as a Supreme told from Mary Wilson's perspective. She did not like Diana Ross. Said that she was a jerk!
Vicky Beltz
The one in between two talented singers.
Steven Jones
Steven Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Shaun Brian
Shaun Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Chela Robinson
Chela Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
Milan Richard
Milan Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Judy
Judy added it
Feb 25, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Joan Fisher
Joan Fisher marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Tene Smith
Tene Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • How To Become A Virgin
  • I'm Still Here: Confessions of a Sex Kitten
  • Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait
  • House of Cash: The Legacies of my Father, Johnny Cash
Dreamgirl and Supreme Faith: My Life as a "Supreme": My Life as a Supreme Supreme Faith: Someday We'll Be Together Dreamgirl and Supreme Faith: My Life as a Supreme Sleeping Beauty To Benji, With Love