Start by marking “Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness” as Want to Read:
Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness

Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion, and Pure Madness

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Amma, universally known as "The Hugging Saint," went through a two-decade transformation from a simple fisherman's daughter to an international wonder worshiped by millions. Gail "Gayatri" Tredwell was there every step of the way—from early devotee to head female disciple, ever-present personal attendant, handmaiden, whipping post, and unwilling keeper of some devastating ...more
200 pages
Published October 25th 2013 by Wattle Tree Press (first published October 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Hell

Nandakishore Varma
Apr 28, 2014 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
Mata Amritanandamayi is a household name in Kerala. Her devotees adore her: her detractors hate her: and the general public, even if they hold neutral views, cannot help being overwhelmed by the multimillion dollar industry that she has become: hospitals, engineering colleges, software companies – her empire spans a huge area. Devotees cross the seven seas regularly to sit at her feet; she crosses the seven seas to meet them at their homes across the world. And she hugs all and one who come to h ...more
Hari
Feb 23, 2014 Hari rated it it was amazing
Five stars, not for the quality of the writing, but for the courage required to put such an experience to paper. That is not to say that the writing is poor - it is well above average and I spotted no glaring errors. Her observations of the differences in lifestyle are, at times, humorous to read, and at others, disheartening, especially towards the end of the book, where events take a decidedly darker turn. I must also confess that, being a strong atheist, I felt it quite difficult to empathize ...more
Archana
Feb 22, 2014 Archana rated it really liked it
" I was more than naive. I was hardworking(workaholic), dedicated (obsessed), determined(stubborn), and physically strong. Just imagine all those qualities teamed with a nice dose of low self-esteem- voila, the perfect "disciple" is born!" This is the most poignant line for me in the book. I started reading the book out of mere curiosity but it turned out to be much more insightful.
Kellye
May 27, 2016 Kellye rated it really liked it
This was a fairly quick, engaging read. I gravitate towards spiritual memoirs of this type due to my own experiences with India, dodging the guru bullet and the doubt that lead me to leave my own path after close to 8 years. I appreciate the courage of the author to tell the truth so that others might be spared. It was because of others putting the truth out about another big time female guru that I was able to make an informed choice and just say no. Ammachi is a human being complete with the c ...more
Mohan
Mar 15, 2014 Mohan rated it really liked it
This book has had mixed reviews in India. The Amrita cult is so powerful that the book is not even available in India (no its not banned by the Govt; but its simply not available in India) I get to read the kindle version of it; and I must say that I for one truly believes in what is written there.

No where on earth can a person of theatrics can achieve so much than in a country like India. Hoards thronging to get a glimpse of such god men and women have always repulsed me to the core. Why are pe
Karthika
Apr 29, 2014 Karthika rated it liked it
I cannot write a review of this book without praising her courage. Some parts of this book were extremely shocking; no wonder why this book is not easily available in India. I grew up watching people worshiping Matha Amrithananda Mayi as an avatar. I was never a believer of human gods and always maintain a neutral view. This book creates a shock wave in India and attracted the attention of news world so easily. But somehow they suppress the discussions with their power. I pity those people who n ...more
Amanda
Mar 21, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a great literary work but an extremely personal memoir. It really serves as a cautionary tale of the guru/disciple relationship. Exploring how the lines of your identity and personal freedom can be catastrophically blurred in a quest to seek a connection with god. "The guru is in you" is an absolute truth when your done with this memoir.
Alfa Hisham
Mar 04, 2014 Alfa Hisham rated it liked it
Good Gracious Holy Hell!!!

The book says everything mentioned in there has been described to the best of her memory. Primarily I was wondering why she took about 20 years to leave the place. Any normal person would have left earlier.

There has been a lot of questions raised regarding the authenticity of the incidents, what ever that may be, one thing I'm really convinced about is that she so knew the regional language. So well that she could figure out structural nuances in the Malayalam words.

Th
Ron John John
Feb 19, 2014 Ron John John rated it it was amazing
First of all thanks for sharing your dreadful experience with us .I always feel very bad when see people worship these type of living God . You don't need to be brilliant to identify these living God's.
You have shared your experience with us , why can't you file a case against this lady and the man who raped you ? Now people is saying it's all false story , If you make a complaint, at least police will enquire about this and if its true they will shut down this place
Please send a compliant to
Asha Alex
May 30, 2014 Asha Alex rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the courage it took to write the book.
Yudron
May 27, 2014 Yudron rated it it was amazing
It's hard to say I loved this book, but it was very good. An inside look at the cult of Amachi, from someone who was with her almost from the beginning. Perhaps more than that, it is the portrait of someone who was a sitting duck for a cult. She walked in to the situation willingly with complete naivete and trust, with her critical thinking skills on hold.

I am a Western follower of an Asian religion, and Asian gurus, so I am not at all hostile to the concept of following a teacher, and yes, eve
Naveen
Mar 18, 2014 Naveen rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Excerpts from the book:
My dream of finding and serving a guru had come true. But I was more than naïve. I was hardworking (workaholic), dedicated (obsessed), determined (stubborn), and physically strong. Just imagine all those qualities teamed with a nice dose of low self-esteem—voila, the perfect “disciple” is born!
--------
Surrender of one’s will to a master is common among Eastern religions and is believed to lead the individual to “absolute” freedom. Hinduism in particular is saturated with
Jaishree
Jul 27, 2014 Jaishree rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The first I heard about this book was when I watched an interview of Gail Tredwell on one of the Malayalam channels. There were the expected shrill and high decibel claims and counter claims from both sides.

My desire to read the book had other personal connections as well. My daughter did her UG course from a fairly prestigious college attached to the Ashram and I have heard similar murmurs about the Ashram and inmates from my husband's cousins who grew up in Vallikavu.

The book is simple in it'
Navmi
Feb 22, 2014 Navmi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decently written. A page-turner because of the explosive details that it reveals. As for the authenticity of the details given, I'm no one to comment. As someone who has been exposed to 'Amma' very less, I'm not sure I believe in her and hence, it's easier for me to read this book with an unbiased mind. It does feel on occasions that the author had a slightly unhealthy obsession towards 'Amma' - but then that must be true for her numerous devotees too.

To be honest, I'm more amused by the fact t
Arun
May 29, 2014 Arun rated it it was amazing
Daring! This is a triumph of pretension over lucidity.

The plot, such as I could decipher it, is that an unfortunate young woman, Gayathri (Gail Tredwell), gets pulled into unconsciousness and has a subconscious sense of spirituality forced down her throat. It seems to make her hypnotically suggestible, during which time her mainly unseen assaulter runs her thru a series of odd exercises for Amma. Gradually she seems to return to normal, but by then she's been missing from the parallel world and
Zack
Mar 05, 2014 Zack rated it liked it
I got interested in this book when it was all over the newspaper, as an indictment of Matha Amrithananda Mayi.She is one of the popular God Women of Kerala,with considerable following around the world.But the moment you start reading the book,you are sucked into it's simple narrative style,about a young innocent lady trying to find meaning in life.Gail Tredwell was only 19 yrs old when she came to India with her boyfriend at the end of 1970's.But she decides to stay on despising her empty wester ...more
Aneesh
Mar 15, 2014 Aneesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential reading for every Amma devotee.
It teaches you what would happen if a normal human being sacrifices everything to serve an actor. The actor is more than able to perform the role with panache in front of an audience but the real malignant spirit of the actor can be seen behind the scenes.
Welcome to the backstage.
Deepu Joseph
Mar 08, 2014 Deepu Joseph rated it it was amazing
Quick, engaging read. I would give 5 stars simply for the brave effort that this book is.
Tulsi
Jul 04, 2014 Tulsi rated it liked it
A tell all tale shrouded in controversy.
Gail or Gayatri comes to an Indian Ashram with very romanticized ideas of spirituality, faith & devotion and seeks in "The hugging saint" - Amma an eternal guru who will guide her to being one with God.
What she does get is a real deal, a far cry from the preconceived idea of the west about the spiritual India & the saints.
The dark secrets that the author relates leaves you bitter & has the immediate affect of being judgmental of the entire "Spi
Alexis
Dec 23, 2014 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Read this because one of my friends has become a follower of Amma. This book is a tell all memoir of a woman who was Amma's devotee for 20 years. In this book, Amma doesn't appear favourably at all. The devotee, Gayatri (Gail Tredwell) suffered immensely under the thrall of her guru.

I find the whole thing creepy. After finishing this book, I still had a lot of questions. I didn't think this book was amazingly well written, but the story was rivetting. I read it in a day.
ghufran
May 28, 2014 ghufran rated it really liked it
I wonder had ever IIMs done research on these guru / mata organizations. One can easily learn how to amass wealth exploiting religious beliefs.
The book precisely details as to why a disciple fails recognizing a fake guru / mata. Even without reading a single book, I had suspicion on these gurus / matas by their way of living. Now this book has given a detailed BLACK LIFE of these WHITE GURUS / MATAS.
Maureen
Apr 02, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Enlightening and quite helpful in the teaching that this book shares with especially women on deciding for yourself what you will or not will put up with. The only real authority is love and compassion, settle for nothing less. The writing is nothing less than perfect.
Margaret
Mar 09, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
A must read book for anyone involved in or thinking of becoming involved in a guru-disciple relationship. A memoir written by a follower of Amritanandamayi. She was as close to a guru as anyone could be and she exposes the truth about that organization and it's guru.
Hanoob
Feb 27, 2014 Hanoob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may be shocking for devotees but a convincing one for others.... It's a fine thesis on how all the belief systems prevalent in our society are being shaped and designed and why the custodians of these always go mad when some one asks a question or points a finger at. . . and more!
Abhilash Babu
Feb 26, 2014 Abhilash Babu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it not because of the literary marvel, but because I hope such revelations will be an eye opener for people who have blind faith in the self claimed Godmen of India. Its time that we look at God and religion as historical artifacts. Its a pity that even today people fall prey to fraudsters, scamsters and self claimed God men.
Asha Vijay
May 23, 2014 Asha Vijay rated it did not like it
The contents of the book could be true and if it is, it should reach people who are blind followers of Amritanandamayi. However, the book as such very badly written and most can do without reading it.
Prasad Kottakkal
Excellent writing and this book explains how cults works. This is a warning sign for all “Amma” followers, nobody is perfect, Amma is just a business woman in a white sari.
Latha Lokanath Pradeep
Liked the initial parts about her introduction to Indian life ............... after that whether what she has written are facts, time alone will tell.
Lakky Hari
Mar 21, 2014 Lakky Hari rated it really liked it
although the read was quick and engaging and i myself being not a suporter of amma, i cannot simply believe a person stayed in such a corrupt organisation and endured abuse and was just victim for 20 years
Rupertt Wind
Apr 11, 2014 Rupertt Wind rated it liked it
Interesting! Very Interesting.
  • Shameful Flight: The Last Years of the British Empire in India
  • The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India Was Mapped and Everest Was Named
  • Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II
  • Walking with Lions: Tales from a Diplomatic Past
  • Pricing the Future: The 300-Year Quest for the Equation That Changed Wall Street
  • When God Looked the Other Way: An Odyssey of War, Exile, and Redemption
  • A Cultural History of India
  • Hello, Bastar - The Untold Story of India's Maoist Movement
  • The Royal Rajputs: Strange Tales and Stranger Truths
  • Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857
  • The Great Hedge of India: The Search for the Living Barrier that Divided a People
  • Sahib: The British Soldier in India 1750-1914