Missing Child

Missing Child

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Her secrets are a weapon…

All Caitlin Rogers ever wanted was to make things right. Her addict brother killed a woman in a hit-and-run accident, then overdosed instead of going to the police. Caitlin immediately sought out the victim's family to reveal the truth. But she'd never planned on falling in love with widower Noah Eckhart—or caring so much for his young son, Geordi...more
Paperback
Published November 2013 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mystery (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Child

Paula  Phillips
As a fan of mystery fiction and the fact that some of my favourite authors cannot write fast enough, it means that I am always on the constant search for new authors to enjoy. One of those recent discoveries was Patricia MacDonald as you know the Amazon emails that you get - the ones that go "you just brought this, so you might like this " - recently it was Patricia MacDonald's latest book Sisters. It sounded like a good read and then with a bit of research I discovered that she had written othe...more
Maggie61
I'd probably give this one a 3 1/2 but wouldn't bump it up to a 4.

I have been a fan of Patricia MacDonalds since her first books came out. This one was not my favourite of hers, but still an enjoyable read. I did find the whole scenario of Caitlyn's brother James being responsible for her husband's first wife's death a little unbelievable. I can't believe anyone with a conscience would be able to go day to day living with that secret and not be eaten up with guilt for not revealing what she kne...more
Sue1958
First book I have read by this author, came recommeded to me by an online friend.
This won't be the last one I read of hers either, what a thrilling read.

I don't do spoilers, so I am just going to say that I thought I had it all worked out, but nope, the twists and turns in this book leave you gasping, I really love a book that you can't wait to pick up again as soon as you get the time to read.
Minutepapillon
Partagée pour le nombre d'étoiles à attribuer à ce livre. 2? 3? Peut être 3 si je l'avais lu en VO. Je soupçonne que la saveur du livre ait peut être été un peu lost in translation. Toutefois là où Harlan Coben fait preuve d'un sens de l'observation du genre sociologique, j'ai trouvé certains échanges un peu plats ou improbables chez Patricia MacDonald. J'ai toutefois lu ce livre en très peu de temps, pressée d'en connaître le fin mot. Le tout fut plutôt habile, j'avais toutefois imaginé une aut...more
Naomi
Synopsis: Caitlyn's stepson, Geordie, goes missing from school one day. Who would want to kidnap a six year old child and how does his kidnapping fit into secrets Caitlyn has been hiding from her husband, Noah? Can such secrets ever be forgiven and how do they fit into Gordie's disappearance?

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: This book, while good, in my opinion, just didn't stand out. I thought it was comparable to tons of other books out there with similar plots. What saved a two star review was a...more
Lori M
OMG a total page turner....read the book in 6 hours complete page turner I just couldn't put it down and I really didn't expect the endin
Estelle
A well thought out plot that keeps the reader guessing with an explosively dramatic ending that reveals a corrosive family secret.
Michele Whitecotton
I liked this book a lot. It was one of those stories that kept you up way too late because you just had to find out what happened. It completely held my interest and the story was fantastic. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because I was really frustrated by the way every single character turned on Caitlin so quickly. Under these circumstances, that might happen in real life but I doubt it. The way the entire family isolated her because she didn't rat out her deceased brother was rid...more
Carolynne
angela mcdougal
Awesome

this is a must read, once you start you can't put it down. I recommend you read more of her books.
Nattie
Good quick read. I like that this book had little to no filler, just like her book prior to this one. Every book doesn't need to be 450 pages, and I wish most were not; simply because the more pages the more damage to the story it seems.

Some of the characters in this book do some pretty dumb things, I'm talking to you Caitlin! I mean really? You'll know what I mean when you read it. Why do writers still write characters as being so STUPID!

Lots of questionable choices in this book, one so far ou...more
Kay
For those Mary Higgens Clark readers that miss her earlier books this one is a MUST read! MacDonald has been writing for many years but thankfully she doesn't mass produce her books. This is her 15th book and I started reading her approximately 35-40 yrs. ago back when I started reading Clark. At that time both authors were so similar I couldn't tell them apart. MacDonald hasn't changed. This book has a great story, good characters, twists and turns and best of all just tells the story!!! It cer...more
Lisa Greer
Wow! What happened to MacDonald's writing style? The language and dialogue were stilted and awful, yet I still enjoyed the mystery and plot. It read like the novel had been translated into English, though, honestly. It makes me wonder if it was since, from what I understand, MacDonald speaks French (might be French...not sure about that). Whatever the case may be, I don't think I'll put myself through another of her books if the sample reads like this one did. :(
Kathy
Good plot. The ending was surprising. I would have given it a higher rating except there were too many errors. Poor editing is a poor reflection on the author, unfortunately.
Gloria Snyder
I enjoy Patricia MacDonald. Each book is unique. Not scary but not filled with fluff.
Pam
The second book I've read by Patricia MacDonald and it kept my attention just like the first one. The characters are likable and you are caught up in the story that's unfolding. As with her other book I did not know who the culprit was until the end as there were several twists that had you guessing. An interesting book that I finished in one day. I will be reading more of Ms MacDonald's books.
Wynn
The story is fast paced and relatively short at 200 pages. That combination is a perfect read for me. Plus, I love a mystery when I can say to myself "wow, I didn't see that coming". The story fell into place perfectly. The Amazon description is perfect: Missing Child is a "heart-pounding domestic suspense". I loved it.
Lesli Kraft
Missing Child was good but somewhat predictable after reading all Patricia MacDonald's books. I did enjoy it and it was a quick read as all her books are but over all this was not a favorite. If you are new to her mystery books I would recommend it but if you have read several you may be able to see what is coming.
Dawn
This was a very good story. It took a long time to figure out the catch, and there were plenty of twists to keep me guessing. I've always enjoyed MacDonald's books because they are usually short and move quickly. Too much description and introspection tends to get old quickly. This one has neither problem.
Rhonda
meh. this was the first of Patricia MacDonald's books that I've read, and I'm not sure if I'd go back for more. The story line just circled. add more characters, circle again. It was a good time filler, but if you're looking for a hard core thriller, this isn't it.

Ada
This is a very good book....hard to put it down! I'm planning on reading Patricia MacDonald book 'Cast Into Doubt' which came out right before the novel 'Missing Child'. This lady knows how to write a mystery story. Planning on reading a few more of her novels.
Peggy Sinden
Wow, can't believe I finished this book in one night. Every time I thought I had come to the end it veared off in an another direction with the kidnapper unnamed all the way to the very end. Patricia MacDonald knows how to hold your attention and then some.
Sheila
This was the first book I have read by this author but definitely won't be the last. There are many secrets that have been kept hidden for many years. They start to be revealed as the search for a missing child continues. 5 stars for this one from me.
Ruth
Started out a bit slow; picked up and didn't want to put it down. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Pmcdnld2
The plot is somewhat familiar but it was a good read anyway. Stepmom takes her 6 year old stepson to school and he disappears. As the police search for him, tensions rise among family members and we discover some dark secrets.
Just
The ending was not what I expected. A tragic story about a family that is torn apart when their son is abducted and the secrets of the years came out. Couldn't put it down.
Victoria Shepherd
This book started out as a potentially thriiling read; however the climax and conclusion were so rushed, and almost nonsensical, it ruined the whole book for me.
Ellen
This is at best a 2.5 star book in my opinion. It was OK, but very predictable. The characters seemed wooden and one-dimensional. Quick read.
Melissa DeHart
Very intense mystery surrounding a kidnapped child. There are several storylines that intertwine around the main story. I loved it!!
  • Sufficient Ransom
  • A Lovely, Indecent Departure: A Novel
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Never Come Back
  • Deceit
  • Where's My Son? (Jason Strong Detective #1)
  • Late Rain
  • Out of the Black
  • There Was an Old Woman: A Novel of Suspense
  • Accused (Scott Fenney #2)
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Things We Didn't Say
  • The Sacrificial Man
  • No Safe House
  • Dark Horse
  • Easy Innocence (Georgia Davis, #1)
Patricia MacDonald is the author of several psychological suspense novels set in small towns. MacDonald grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut and has a master's degree from Boston College. Before writing her own novels she was a book editor and was once an editor for a soap opera magazine in New York. She is married to writer Art Bourgeau. They live in Cape May, New Jersey and have one daughter.

Her f...more
More about Patricia MacDonald...
Married to a Stranger Cast into Doubt Sisters The Girl Next Door Stolen in the Night