Start by marking “Three Tales of My Father's Dragon: Includes My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, Dragons of Blueland” as Want to Read:

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon: Includes My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon #1-3)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,522 Ratings  ·  330 Reviews
The classic fantasy trilogy of Elmer Elevator and the flying baby dragon has delighted children and their parents for generations. Now, on the occasion of their fiftieth anniversary, Random House is proud to bring the three timeless tales together in one beautiful commemorative edition, complete with the original delightful illustrations.A Newbery Honor Book and an ALA Not ...more
Published December 2nd 1997 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Three Tales of My Father's Dragon, please sign up.

Roxanne It depends on the child. My daughter is three and loved having this read aloud to her, but she's a big book lover. I would think up to an eight or ten…moreIt depends on the child. My daughter is three and loved having this read aloud to her, but she's a big book lover. I would think up to an eight or ten year old would enjoy this, depending on the kid. (less)

Tanya D
Oct 19, 2011 Tanya D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I've been reading chapter books to my seven year old, with my four year old kinda listening and mostly jumping on us. We all liked these three tales about Elmer and Boris the dragon. I liked that the chapters are short, good for bedtime and reading aloud. It had fun illustrations every couple page to keep my four-year old interested too. I loved that the story was fun and exciting while at the same time being so simple and innocent. So many "children" books have sad and terrible things happening ...more
Razvan Zamfirescu
In categoria sa, cartea isi merita, cu siguranta, calificativul de "clasica". Doar ca ar trebui sa fiti cu bagare de seama pentru ca daca obisnuiti sa cititi cu placere, pe langa fictiunea si non-fictiunea de zi cu zi, si carti gen Mary Poppins sau Roald Dahl, asa cum fac eu, acest titlu s-ar putea sa nu va aduca o placere la fel de mare, de vreme ce cartea are un public mult mai tanar. Daca veti reusi sa o priviti prin ochii unui copil de 5-6 ani, sunt convins ca o veti aprecia, dar eu nu am re ...more
Liz
Apr 12, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wee-lads
I typically reserve five stars for great works of literature, but reading this book aloud to my four-year-old was an experience I'd like to never forget. To him, at his age, it absolutely is an amazing piece of literature.

He would have sat through an entire book if I'd let him. Reading just three chapters at a time was hardly a fast enough pace for him. And I was shocked by his comprehension. Even at the end of the first story, he could recall all ten chapters in great detail. He studied the si
Becky
Apr 11, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading My Father's Dragon (1948), Elmer And the Dragon (1950), and The Dragons of Blueland (1951), all by Ruth Stiles Gannett. (My Father's Dragon was a Newbery Honor book for 1949.) I'd read My Father's Dragon before many years ago--long before I started blogging--but this was my first opportunity, I believe, to read the two sequels.

I loved the way My Father's Dragon opens:
One cold rainy day when my father was a little boy, he met an old alley cat on his street. The cat was ve
Nancy
This was a lovely book. My Vintage Book Circle group all loved it. We liked the dragons a lot. I remember being so amazed at how prepared he was. He had just the right thing for every circumstance! One person said this was the book that made her become a librarian. We all thought that it would capture the imagination of children today despite the fact that it was written in 1948. Excellent first chapter book for third graders, I would think.
Michelle
Jul 07, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children love this as a bedtime story. We read a few chapters each night, but they're begging for more. The simple, black and white illustrations are engaging. This is one we read again and again!
Bonnie
This was a fun story to read with my son. It is quite simple and the adventures are fantastical, but Elmer is quite witty in the way he solves his problems.
Krista
Mar 16, 2014 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old son got this for Christmas this year and loved it. I've lost count of the number of times we have read through it. This volume is a compilation of three books that all center on the relationship between a boy (sometimes called "My Father" and sometimes "Elmer") and a dragon (Boris) that he rescues from some mean, wild animals. It has all the elements of a great adventure- planning, travel, secrecy, danger, friendship, and a safe return home- that a little boy wants. This is one of ...more
Faika
This is hands down one of the best kids trilogy ever written. The story revolves around a boy Elmer Elevator and a baby dragon Boris.

The first book “My Father’s Dragon” is about a young boy Elmer Elevator who rescues a baby dragon from Wild Island on recommendation of his friend the alley cat. It is adventurous, fun and full of suspense with loads of action and humor.

The second book “Elmer and the Dragon” follows the adventures of Elmer and the dragon as they head back to Elmer’s home after a tw
Faika

Dale Johnson
Mar 21, 2015 Dale Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders and their parents
Recommended to Dale by: My 3rd grader
These stories were first published as three 3rd grade level books (probably 2nd grade by today's standards): my son's favorite at that age. I'm now gifting them to my grand daughter. I've indicated my reading time, and I'm not a fast reader at all, whether adult or children's reading level. I've listed page lengths as they appear in the trilogy binding Three Stories of My Father's Dragon. All three have the original occasional illustrations.

Book 1: My Father's dragon.
By far the best of the trilo
Janet
Mar 28, 2016 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anjali Williams
I missed this series as a child but read them aloud to both my kids. They are perfect early chapter books for younger children, because there are whimsical illustrations on nearly every page, kind and resourceful characters, and nothing too scary. Sienna liked that Elmer would risk his life to make a baby dragon happy. But she didn't like the "sad" parts (that, for example, the dragon needs to be rescued), which made her rate it a 3, instead of 4.
Sherri
Great chapter book to read aloud to young children about a young boy and his baby dragon friend. I think the age window for reading this book to kids is pretty short (3-10). I read it to my eight year-old and 11 year-old. The eight year-old was completely enthralled; the 11 year-old liked it, but was bored at times. Also, it's a little dated.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 27, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents looking for a good read aloud
All three of the My Father's Dragon books in one volume. They really are all just one big story, so this makes perfect sense. The only drawback is that you lose the cover art for the first two books.
A perfect read aloud for kids ages 4-8, especially those not ready for Harry Potter.
Renee Priddis
Aug 26, 2015 Renee Priddis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book. I read this to my kids. They enjoyed it and so did I...a children's beginner chapter book that kept everyone's attention! Success!
Kyoko Aoki
Jul 13, 2015 Kyoko Aoki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminds me of primary school library. When I was a primary school students, I was really fond of this story. At that time, I couldn't read english, so I read it in Japanese. Now I've read it in English. I even prefer english ver. I still remember that I made a my own story based on my father's dragon for language class. I was so excited in Elmer's adventure. Some of my favourite books were written in english. I am now very happy because I can read original book nowadays. That's what I have be ...more
Ann
Jan 12, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery, fantasy, audio
These were three cute books. I liked the first book My Father's Dragon the best of the three. I can see why it won awards while the two sequels did not. Only ever referring to the main character as "my father" leant a perfect note to the cozy story. I missed that element when the other two books started calling him Elmer. I also thought the plot of the first book (such as it was) was more distinguished as well. While it is very episodic in nature, it certainly achieves what it sets out to do. Th ...more
Alice
I read the first two books -- at least, I don't really remember the third one -- when I was much younger. They captured my imagination, and in a fit of nostalgia that's the internet's fault, I decided to track down the books again.

Going back to them, I found myself realizing how much they were written for children. Not that this is a bad thing -- there is just this rhythm to the words, the use of numbers and alliteration, and the silly names, that gives the feeling that the book should be read o
Will
Apr 02, 2013 Will rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Everything had to be kept very secret, so when they found or bought anything to take on the trip they hid it behind a rock in the park. The night before my father sailed he borrowed his father's knapsack and he and the cat packed everything very carefully. He took chewing gum, two dozen pink lollipops, a package of rubber bands, black rubber boots, a compass, a toothbrush and a tube of tooth paste, six magnifying glasses, a very sharp jackknife, a comb and a hairbrush, seven hair ribbons of dif ...more
kingshearte
My Father's Dragon and its two sequels are books that Da read to us when we were little, and they're very cute. I'd actually kind of forgotten about them until I started working with books and saw them again. Then I spotted an edition of all three books in one hardcover volume at a used book sale, and snapped it up. I don't have a blurb for it because it didn't have its dust jacket at that time, but suffice it to say that it's about a boy named Elmer who has adventures with a baby dragon named B ...more
Jul 21, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This book was an attempt to spend my week with my 7 yr old niece reading something other than princesses and fairies. Not that I don't like princesses and fairies, but there is a lot of great stuff out there without them that she might like if she only tried it so..... I picked up this classic Newburry Medal winner. I suspect the book would have been a winner if the hero had been a heroine - having no girls at all in a story was a bit too far out of the box and my niece didn't much enjoy a story ...more
Inoli
Very much fun. I laughed out loud on many occasions. I saw it listed as middle grade, ages 8-12. I think it would be most enjoyed in the early part of that range or even a little younger. It begs to be read aloud. Of course that's an ideal not a restriction as there are no age restrictions on a good book. I have a hard time even believing I was ever that young and I liked it very much.

Book one, My Father's Dragon, this being a three book omnibus, took a Newbery Honor in 1949
Karen
Sweet and amusing and well paced for younger children. Each chapter is maybe 8 pages, and each book is only 80 pages or so. There's lots of wonderful illustrations and maps on the inside covers. (The illustrations are black and white in this edition; I wonder if they were in color originally.) Nobody really gets hurt during the book (although past hurts and cruelties are touched upon), and cleverness and kindness conquer all. The topics of captivity and slavery are touched upon, but everything a ...more
Roxanne
Jan 22, 2016 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audio collection was perfect to listen to in the car. It didn't matter that we were reading Elmer and the Dragon at bedtime while simultaneously listening to this when we were on the go; my daughter was enchanted by both. I admit I didn't get to hear every word of all three stories (because my husband and daughter spend more time in the car together than I do) but this is now on my iPod, so I expect we'll be enjoying it again and again. Excellent narrator, too.
Apr 03, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
This was a cute trilogy and it was fun to have a simple, quick read after some lengthier read-a-louds. I especially loved the illustrations which made my girls laugh several times- they especially enjoyed the part where the lion's hair is braided and bowed. I also appreciated that my 6 y/o could read this on her own since most of the books I read my older daughter can re-read but they are a little too wordy for the younger one at this point.
Tara
Feb 09, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
We loved this series! This book contains all three books in the series. My daughter loved every single one. The writing is simple but enjoyable, making it a perfect read aloud every for young children. The illustrations are wonderful. We were so sad to have to return it to the library. This will be one we add to our library to read over and over!
Margaret Mary
Sep 18, 2015 Margaret Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Charming illustrations, short chapters, easy to follow, linear story. It would be a good read-aloud for someone just moving past picture books.

My only reservation is that the boy runs away from home at the beginning of the first story to begin his adventures, but it's a very small part of the story and doesn't happen again with subsequent adventures.
Mark Baker
Mar 11, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 2007
All three of the books about Elmer's adventures with the dragon. While the first is the best, all of them are still fun and make great early chapter books, read alouds, or both.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Byron Norsworthy
I'm so glad we picked up this book. It was the first chapter book I read cover-to-cover to my 5 year old daughter. She loved it so much that she followed me around the house on our holiday vacation nagging me to read it to her. (I loved it too.) The text is simple, the plot is whimsical yet meaningful, and the many illustrations help bridge the transition from picture books to chapter books. Can't recommend it enough. Probably suitable for certain children even younger than 5.
  • The Water Horse
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • The Storm
  • Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face: And Other Poems: Some of the Best of Jack Prelutsky
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • Mercy Watson: #1-2 [Collection Volume I]
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • Ereth's Birthday (Dimwood Forest, #3)
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
  • Wolf Story
  • In the Town All Year 'Round
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
Ruth Stiles Gannett wrote My Father's Dragon just a few years after her graduation from Vassar College in 1944.

She lives in Upstate New York.

More about Ruth Stiles Gannett...

My Father's Dragon (3 books)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)