Start by marking “Dawn of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas, #1)

Dawn of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas #1)

The first in a new fantasy series from the national bestselling author of the Sons of Destiny novels.

They call themselves the Fae Rii, or Fair Traders. Elfin-like beings capable of wielding sophisticated forms of magic, they travel between universes exploring new worlds and establishing settlements for their people to live peacefully among the locals.

The humans of the Whit
Kindle Edition
Published April 19th 2016 by InterMix

To ask other readers questions about Dawn of the Flame Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn of the Flame Sea

Dead Heat by Patricia BriggsBound by Flames by Jeaniene FrostThe Shadows by J.R. WardShards of Hope by Nalini SinghBurned by Karen Marie Moning
2015 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
177th out of 314 books — 1,932 voters
Liars, Inc. by Paula StokesThe Orphan Queen by Jodi MeadowsReturn to Me by Kelly MoranThe Winner's Crime by Marie RutkoskiVanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
March 2015 Releases
190th out of 193 books — 346 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
So I made it to about 26%. My problems are varied in this book. It's not bad, really. It's just .... there's nothing happening.

The fae arrive on this planet, in this place, that they thought would be empty. Except it's not. There's a tribe, refugees fleeing from agressors. The fae begin to use their magic to change their environment. And that's it. That's all that's happened.

There's a lot of world-building going on, a lot of details about the magic that the fae, and the tribes, use. There's som
Darcy
This book really had a slow start. A lot of that is due to the book being the first in the series, there was a lot of world building going on. That did get bogged down a bit with the explanation of magic and how it worked. Once the two peoples started to blend their cultures things started to pick up. It was great to see the Fae and the White Sands tribe started to admire each other and even how they became friends. Things seemed to blend a bit more than Jintaya expected, which is quickly ...more
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Aug 28, 2016 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it really liked it
4 stars

Not sure why I liked this one so much. It's slow paced, but when the action unfolds - oh my! I loved Ban and want to read more about him.
Kim
Apr 14, 2016 Kim rated it it was ok
Thank you NetGalley and Berkley/InterMix for providing an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Release Date: 4/19/2016

Although Dawn of the Flame Sea is a relatively short book, it took me the better part of a week to plow through it. I think part of the problem is that the author focuses most of her attention on world-building and almost nothing on character development. The other problem is that there's nothing new here that sets this story apart from the legions of other high fantasy books o
Marlene
Apr 25, 2016 Marlene rated it liked it
This joint review was originally published at The Book Pushers

Marlene: I picked this up because I usually love Jean Johnson’s writing, whether it is military SF or science fiction romance or fantasy romance. I even hunted up her fanfiction, and loved that too. But this, this just doesn’t read like her usual. And by usual I mean that it was not instantly absorbing. Nor was there a whole lot going on. Instead, this book is a whole lot of worldbuilding. And while I like and expect worldbuilding in
Rita C
Oct 05, 2016 Rita C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world building is amazing, as always with this author. Interesting new characters and premise. Still not entirely sure where this is going, but I want to find out more. :)
Krissys
Jul 06, 2016 Krissys rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star

The humans of the White Sands tribe, refugees fleeing from powerful enemies, see the Fae as potential invaders stealing their newfound natural resources. Jintaya, the leader of the Fae travelers, manages to forge an alliance, promising to trade ski
Barb Lie
Apr 20, 2016 Barb Lie rated it really liked it
Dawn of the Flame Sea by Jean Johnson is the 1st book in her new fantasy series, Flame Seas. This is my first book by Jean Johnson, and I wasn’t sure what to expect in this different type of fantasy novel. I will say that when I finished this book, I was hooked into this new world building of Johnson’s creation.

Dawn of the Flame Sea begins as a group of Fae’s known as Fae Rii, who are Fair Traders that explore the different worlds that they can find and make them habitual for other Fae’s to even
Eva Millien
Apr 18, 2016 Eva Millien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dawn of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas #1) by Jean Johnson The Fae Rii are peaceful fair traders capable of wielding sophisticated forms of magic. The White Sands tribe see the Fae as invaders stealing their newfound natural resources. The Circle Fire Tribe has no desire to share with anyone in this enthralling new fantasy.

Eva Millien
Apr 18, 2016 Eva Millien rated it really liked it

Jintaya, leader of the Fae promises to trade skills and knowledge to build a lasting community if the White Sands people will forge an alliance and the readers can’t help but get caught up in this fascinating tale as they work togethe
Theresa
Aug 23, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
This is about a different kind of fae that we’re used to. Normally fae are mean, or tricky, or
dangerous. These are kind and benevolent, though they are very promiscuous.

This is about a group of dimension traveling fae that use a portal to go from world to world setting up trade towns. First the sent in a scout to locate a remote and defensible location, then they observe the natives for a while to determine how best to approach them without disturbing their culture.

But this time things get mess
Jessica Bronder
Apr 18, 2016 Jessica Bronder rated it liked it
The Fae Rii, Fair Traders, travel between the universes to explore and start settlements. But not everyone they come across is as friendly as them. When they come upon the White Sands tribe, a group of humans on the run from their enemy, the humans feel the Fae are a threat. As Jintaya, the leaders of the Fae works for an alliance, not everyone wants to work with the Fae.

This is the first book in a series so I understand how there is a lot of world building. Sadly I think this affected the char
Anya
Apr 17, 2016 Anya marked it as dnf
Shelves: netgalley
This book clearly has some cool world and magic in store, but the writing is pretty bland and the characters too cliche high fantasy to intrigue me. Doesn't work for me right now, but if you like Fae and the idea of traveling between worlds, give it a try.
Stacey
Did not finish.

I found this one boring, with slow plot development and no characters I felt connected to. My full, original review will be posted on The Book Adventures on May 25, 2016.
Nibrock
Aug 01, 2016 Nibrock rated it liked it
Shelves: own
An interesting world hopping fae story. One man who cannot die, a group of fae looking to trade with the natives but end up getting everyone pregnant, other natives who are trying to enslave the clan the fae have allied with. Interesting world building.
Lyndi
Jul 01, 2016 Lyndi marked it as not-going-there
I was quite looking forward to this, but after reading some reviews I don't think this is for me. I honestly think that Jean Johnson can't really top her "Theirs Not to Reason Why" series.
Larissa Campos
May 25, 2016 Larissa Campos rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
This book was extremely slow going, which I'm not keen on at all, but pleases in world building if not so much character development. In all, a good read.
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Nov 18, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
NANCY BENDER
NANCY BENDER rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Hemed
Hemed rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Mary J. Ball
Mary J. Ball rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Ricia Sorum
Ricia Sorum rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2016
Melissa Horn
Melissa Horn rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Maria Itliong
Maria Itliong rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Shaineinok
Aug 09, 2016 Shaineinok rated it it was ok
Eh..... doesn't really go anywhere.
Shirla Ghadaki
Shirla Ghadaki rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • Heart Legacy (Celta's Heartmates, #14)
  • White Star (Epic of Palins, #2)
  • Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)
  • Jeweled Fire (Elemental Blessings, #3)
  • Blood Call
  • Wyvern's Mate (The Dragons of Incendium, #1)
  • Thinning the Herd
  • The Last T'En (Last T'En Trilogy, #1)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • Blackmantle
  • Crimson Spell, Vol. 5
  • Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1)
  • Just One Taste (Pine Mountain, #4.5)
  • Firestorm (Deadtown, #6)
  • Death Mask (Rogue Angel, #52)
  • Divorced, Desperate and Dead (Divorced and Desperate #4)
  • The Official Essex Sisters Companion Guide
Berkley/Jove Authors Bio

(1)romance author, science fiction author

Jean Johnson currently lives in the Pacific Northwest, has played in the SCA for 25 years, sings a lot, and argues with her cat about territorial rights to her office chair. She loves hearing from her readers, and has a distinct sense of humor. Rig
More about Jean Johnson...

Flame Seas (3 books)
  • Demons of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas, #2)
  • Gods of the Flame Sea (Flame Seas, #3)