Start by marking “Keats: Selected Poetry” as Want to Read:
Keats: Selected Poetry

Keats: Selected Poetry

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,262 ratings  ·  38 reviews
John Keats survives today as the archetypal Romantic genius who died tragically early. The rapid development of Keats's poetic skills is powerfully displayed in this selection, which includes his first major poem, "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer", as well as "Endymion", "The Eve of St. Agnes", "La Belle Dame sans Merci", and "The Fall of Hyperion". Throughout, Keats ...more
Published August 1st 1989 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Keats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keats

Jan-Maat
Jun 04, 2014 Jan-Maat added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the tired, the poor and various huddled masses
In my schooling sex, death and poetry were provided courtesy of John Donne and his obvious lustiness and explicit intellectualising is not to be found here where hints and subtly reign. On the whole though I am too old, I think, for Keats what with his Belle Dame sans Merci and I find it difficult to square his elven grotts with his suburban London life.

In terms of the verse I was impressed with the narrative drive of Lamia and found myself in sympathy with the poor snake-woman. Maybe the antipa
Patricia
I was introduced to the poetry of John Keats by my eighth grade English teacher. It has been a long time since I've read more than a line or two. It is worth the time to get a little lost in his reveries.
Tim
This one star rating is essentially a judgment on me. Apparently, I'm too much of a barbarian to enjoy a book of poetry by a famous poet. I'm sure the poems, by and large, are meaningful and probing, but a class and a knowledgeable teacher are prerequisites to a mind expanding read for this reviewer.

Yes, among the 216 pages, I did come across the single line, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever ..." And Keat's musings on nature and the universe were intriguing, thinking back about his time from
Jakob Brønnum
There is just something about Keats. A form of light in the lines seen nowhere else. A clarity. An urge for life itself. So enlightening getting to these primeordeal modern writers in your own pace, mot having been exposed to them in school. Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Browning, Byron. And Keats
Stephen
I only read a few of his poems, but from what I've read I can't wait to read more.

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear'd,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave 15
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal—yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
Mark Donnelly
I really enjoyed finding out about John Keats and I was quite impressed with his ability to write lengthy poetry without once losing my attention. I am talking here about his piece, 'Endymion', which in my view is one of the best poems I have ever read.

Overall, an enjoyable read. I think it would have been nice to receive more of a life history of John Keats, because he was a gifted writer who had his life pulled short when he died of TB at 25.

Richard Epstein
An entirely new selection! As though the poet, dead at 25, had written a Collected Works like Browning's or Tennysons. Read 'em all; you've got nothing better to do. I mean that. Literally. Unless you haven't got round to Shakespeare or Milton yet, you've got nothing better to do.
Drew
I almost gave this book three stars, since I really loved only a few of the Keats poems contained within, but the book as a whole gave me such a great look at his progression from start to finish. That was one intent of the editor, Elizabeth Cook. She writes in her introduction: "But to read Keats's poetry through in chronological sequence (the principle of this volume) is to be impressed with the astonishing speed with which it matures. Keats effectively produced his life's work in two years; t ...more
Tom
Far and away my favorite poet.
Steven Peterson
John Keats was one of the great Romantic poets. Unlike Wordsworth, he was another of those Romantics who died much younger than he should have (tuberculosis). I bought this many years ago, with a collection of other Romantic poetry. The price tag is still on this volume; it cost 50 cents from the Bradley University Book Store (so I probably bought it in 1968 or 1969)!

There is a very brief introductory essay that provides some context on the poet's works. Then, the remainder of this volume focus
Onur Ayaz
I'll be brief, and I'll be simple.
This is a brilliant man, whose Odes are of a quality which no man can imitate.

An Ode To Psyche and Ode To A Nightingale, two of the greatest poems ever.
If you don't like it, it's fine.
But to me, myself, and I, greatest poet and greatest poems ever.
Katrina N.
I love the poetry of John Keats, especially his "Ode to a Nightingale," his "Ode on a Grecian Urn," and "Bright Star." Those are his best works!!
Phoebe Macdonald
My favourites were "la belle dame sans merci", "ode on melancholy" and the delightful nonsense verse "on mrs Reynolds' cat".

Will be revisiting.
Zahra AlQattan
" Sweet Hope, ethereal balm upon me shed,
And wave thy silver pinions o’er my head. "
Ahmad Sharabiani
Selected Poetry, John Keats
Emily
I like Keats. I think he is one of the more accessible and approachable poets. Certainly his poetry is hit and miss with some being fantastic and some being mediocre. That he died so young and so tragically (but oh so in the Romantic way of things!) is of course sad but I wonder if that doesn't lend some ethereal magicalness to his writings. I suppose the other way to look at it is that if he would have lived longer he surely would have produced more and greater poems.
Melissa
This selection includes some of his famous poems, like "Bright Star" and "Ode to a Nightingale." Keats beautiful words still resonate two centuries later. I could swim in a phrase like,

"And still she slept an azure-lidded sleep, In blanched linen, smooth, and lavender’d." from The Eve of St. Agnes.

His musings on death are all the more poignant because he died when he was only 25. I can't help wondering what he would have written if he'd lived longer.
Matthew Dalzell
I received the Easton Press edition of the book, replete with leather styling, gold emboss, trim, and the illustrations of David Gentleman. The book is first-class in every way, and the presentation of Keats' selected works is truly artistic. I am saddened a little by the lack of line delineations, but this is a small concern with the rest of the book's quality in mind.
Lisa Sweet
Swoon! I can always read Keats. What a master at construction, meter, and rhyme. If you give his poems enough time, I feel they reveal his complex philosophy on life too. It is truly tragic that he died so young and didn't have more time to live his life and expand his craft. Fantastic poetry that's not too hard to work through but ever so rewarding as you do.
Mikki Joiner
This rating is a personal response to Keats' poetry. It bores me to tears and evokes nothing within me. I love poetry- but only that which makes me feel something and his works don't do that for me. Perhaps this is because I was forced to study it for my VCE literature class but I think it's more because its all about fairy clouds and love. It lacks intensity.
Tom Ireland
It is sublime, as is only to be suspected. Dipping into the book, you are borne away on half familiar verses (so embedded in our culture is Keats) and on to entirely unfamiliar ones to delight over and over again.

Read the rest of my review here.
Jen
So enjoyable to read Keats poetry, even more so than when it was assigned in school. I leisurely read his poems while eating breakfast and drinking really delicious hot cocoa. It was fun looking at notes I took in school about these poems, and hearing in my head the voice of my favorite professor while he talked about them.
Tushar
You can't help but fall in love with this contemporary poet. The pain and romance this he manifests in his poems is magnificent and makes him a legend. He gained an audience after his death while robbing him a chance of life as a celebrated poet while he lived. I just love the chance to read romantics like him. Bliss :)
David Gan
The verses approach the sublime, especially in the odes, with their sensuous imagery and unexpected metaphors. I found it hard to fully sink my teeth into the narrative poems, inspired by classical mythology; when it comes to rendering the English landscape, though, Keats is quite peerless.
Brendan Brooks
hard slog, i forget now why he was classified as a romantic in the sense that a lot of his work was in classical style, rhymes and metre. Then the odes and the pervasive themses of nature and the pastural has him back in the category. The mythology is tough to get through for me.
Thetravelingpanda
I don't think Keats is one of my favorite poet. I enjoyed most of his poetry especially the one of the nightingale but some of them had too much reference to classics which were a bit drowning his style into a mass of knowledge necessary to read the poems.
Hriday
Very touching. To be read with a leisurely mind. But i found the language quite complicated due to myriad references to Greek mythology - so missed out the context altogether. But those few poems i could understand, i appreciated thoroughly.
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
I prefer to the poem called "The Ode to Nightingale" for the rest of the book. It's quite completely thrilled to take a glimpse on it. (Although it's a tough task for a beginner reader, that's for sure.)
Stephen
Keats is one Britt poet you'll inevitably come into contact with when studying literature. His most famous poem, Ode to a nightingale, is probably my favorite of his.
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Selected Poems
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • The Complete Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...
The Complete Poems Complete Poems and Selected Letters Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne Letters of John Keats John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters

“What is this world's delight,
Lightening that mocks the night,
Brief as even as bright”
5 likes