Start by marking “Go to Sleep, Little Farm” as Want to Read:

Go to Sleep, Little Farm

Somewhere a bee
Makes a bed in a rose,
Because the bee knows
Day has come to a close.

Nighttime blankets a little farm. An owl who-hoots. A bear curls up in a log. A mother fox calls her pups home to the den. But animals aren't the only ones preparing to rest.
In the tradition of Margaret Wise Brown,with classically styled picture bookillustrations and fresh, childlike im
Published September 2nd 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Go to Sleep, Little Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to Sleep, Little Farm

Esutterlin
Sep 25, 2014 Esutterlin rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed with this book. The artwork was fine, but although it purports to be a bedtime/night time book, it has misinformation by implying that the beaver and mice, nocturnal animals, and rabbits, crepuscular animals, are all going to sleep at same time as the child in the story.
Rabbits are crepuscular, and can sleep with their eyes open, as prey animals, not like the illustrations depict if they are . Foxes are primarily nocturnal or crepuscular, although they can be active duri
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool

Lulling text accompanies an overlay of blue depicting animals going to sleep. Although this cannot be used as nonfiction because some of the facts are off, the pleasant meter and poetic arrangement of the text, accompanied with imaginative offerings of anything going to sleep ("somewhere a pocket sleeps in a skirt") shows it going to sleep in its right place, a slight encouragement for children that refuse to get into their bed.
Jill Pickle
This book made me feel like my stomach wants to sing in the way only Margaret Wise Brown can. Yes, I just compared Mary Lyn Ray to my beloved MWB. I do not do this lightly.
Becky
Aug 03, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014reviews
This bedtime book didn't quite work for me. Not that it was awful. It wasn't. It leans more towards poetry than most picture books. For better or worse. Some lines, some rhymes seem to work well. Take the opening line, for example, "Somewhere a bee makes a bed in a rose, because the bee knows day has come to a close." This book is all about imagery and language and the sounds of words--being lulling. If a lulling bedtime book works, works dependably to send little ones to sleep quickly, or, effi ...more
Regina L
Jun 02, 2015 Regina L rated it really liked it
When the sun goes down, the day comes to a close and stars start to shine in the night sky, somewhere, a little girl yawns and gets ready for bedtime. The little girl isn’t the only one – a bee makes its bed on a flower, mice curl up together, and many other animals gather together to rest. When the child’s bedroom lights go off, bunnies snuggle, fish sleep, trees get still. Author Mary Lyn Ray has put a magical touch on bedtime, in a very “Goodnight Moon”-esque way (a high compliment) by descri ...more
Normandy Piccolo
Aug 06, 2016 Normandy Piccolo rated it it was amazing
Mooing, neighing, clucking and crowing sounds are transformed into sleepy snores while visiting a special farm at night. Go To Sleep, Little Farm is an endearing, rhyming bedtime story about a little girl who reads a book before bedtime and partially shares in the adventures of the many animals and objects in and around the farm as they prepare to go to sleep. For example; while the real bear is outside getting nestled into a log, the little girl is hiding under the covers in her own make shift ...more
Allen Henderson
Sep 06, 2016 Allen Henderson rated it it was ok
Shelves: reading-350
This is a book about things going to sleep. A lot of the things are animals, but some of them are things like pockets and minutes. There is a lot of nature in the book, and it rhymes.

I had high hopes for this book, despite seeing that the stars were shining through the dark part of the moon on numerous pages. To me, though, when you mix sleeping animals with sleeping inanimate objects, you lose a little of the usefulness of the text. Maybe I'm just being too harsh. The book also shows some birds
Bethe
Jan 26, 2015 Bethe rated it it was ok
Odd little bedtime book, rhymes don't always flow. Illustrations at beginning show echo of what animals are doing with the child getting ready for bed. Then things get more fanciful and more abstract. I was confused, wonder if young readers will be too.
Lisa Delacruz
Aug 28, 2014 Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
great book for lullabys and story time
Angie Shere
Nov 26, 2014 Angie Shere rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures and words. Perfect bedtime book. Has a retro look and feel to it.
Margie
Jan 16, 2015 Margie rated it liked it
A look at animals (humans included) and where they sleep, as all get ready to great the night for slumber. The slow pace is very lulling and relaxing which is certainly a good precursor to sleep. I was confused by the inclusion of such animals as bears and beavers as these don't qualify as farm animals. The illustrations with a heavy use of muted tones mimic dusk and approaching night, also helping to set the tone.
Margie
Sep 06, 2014 Margie rated it really liked it
In Go To Sleep, Little Farm (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) written by Mary Lyn Ray with art by Christopher Silas Neal readers are gently lead about the farm, surrounding fields, and nearby woods as night falls. Inside the house a little girl mirrors the animals and their activities as she and her family welcome bedtime.

My full recommendation: http://bit.ly/1rKgrix
Elvira
Aug 12, 2015 Elvira rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A lovely bedtime story exhibiting the parallel between animals getting ready for sleep and the young child. The overall illustrations mimic nighttime hues in blues and grays. The story may be a bit too long for younger children, but good for 4 and uppers.
Kelsey Yates
May 24, 2016 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. The little girl in her bedroom mimics animals settling down to sleep. Sweet, imaginative rhyming text such as" Now little fish lie in a brook. Somewhere a story goes to sleep in a book." Only about one line per page.
Tracie
Oct 17, 2014 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Night comes to a farm in this gentle bedtime book filled with quietly poetic text. Lovely illustrations in a muted palette alternate between a young girl preparing to go to bed and farm animals preparing for slumber.
Jessica
My artistic side can't help but adore a book with such lovely illustrations. They are a wonderful addition to this sweet story. Simple color scheme and a heartfelt message wrapped it in the perfect package!
Maggie
Jun 24, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
Shelves: 577-the-list
2015 Zolotow Highly Recommended Book

This one is a nice bedtime book with lovely illustrations, but I found myself kind of bored as I read it. Which actually probably makes it an excellent bedtime book.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sweet story to read before bed. The mixed media illustrations are calm with a vintage feel to them. The color pallet is small, but the tones give an evening mood to the story.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Ecl  Storytellers
Beautiful illustrations depict all sorts of things on the farm "somewhere" falling asleep. Note: there are inaccuracies with nocturnal animals falling asleep at night--but maybe that's not a big deal.
Sylvester
Mar 20, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
2* art
3* poem

Squirt seems more interested in the pages with the tractors than anything else. Some of the rhyming doesn't flow, but it's a nice bedtime calm-yourself-the-heck-down kind of read.
Peacegal
Aug 26, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
A sweet and quiet book about sleep and bedtime.

It is a shame that the easiest way to see a little farm is in a picture book like this, as they are rapidly becoming extinct in the real world.
Kathryn
Apr 02, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
What should have been a sweet book just wasn't. I thought the illustrations a bit quirky and the story of how the various animals sleep were not quite accurate. Just ho-hum for me.
Roben
Nov 12, 2014 Roben rated it it was ok
Similar in ways to "Goodnight Moon". I liked parts of it but the three year old girl I was reading to was not engaged. Usually stories are read multiple times but this one only once.
Vicki
Sep 15, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
A rhyming goodnight book, with retro type illustrations-no bright colors here. This would be a good book to read to your little one as they go to bed or to read at a Pajama Storytime.
Mary
This book feels a bit like Goodnight Moon in its simplicity, repetition, and premise. It is clever and has nice illustrations with lots of sounds worked into the story.
Sep 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime
A nice choice for those who have outgrown (or grown tired of) "Goodnight Moon". The illustrations are very nice even if the rhyme scheme is a bit stilted.
Lindsay
A lovely poetic bedtime book, though as another reviewer pointed out, somewhat misleading about the time of day some of the animals portrayed sleep.
Emily
Mar 28, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A good story to read before bed. Easy to read aloud and a great way to start a bedtime ritual with children. Highly recommend it.
Marina
Dec 22, 2014 Marina rated it liked it
It was ok. I don't know what I was expecting but when the first few animals weren't even farm animals I was a bit disappointed.
Ms.Gaye
Oct 17, 2014 Ms.Gaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
"Goodnight Moon" reinvented. Soothing, with uncomplicated yet engaging illustrations. Just right for an evening storytime.
  • You Nest Here with Me
  • Touch the Brightest Star
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
  • On the Farm
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Sleepyheads
  • Everybody Sleeps (But Not Fred)
  • The Moon is Going to Addy's House
  • Animal Masquerade
  • Sweetest Kulu
  • Flashlight
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • Castles, Caves, and Honeycombs
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
Mary Lyn Ray is a conservationist and author of several picture books for children. She was born in Louisiana in 1946 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Ray has lived in New England since 1964, when she first came east to attend college. She currently lives in a 150-year-old farmhouse in South Danbury, New Hampshire, which she restored herself.
More about Mary Lyn Ray...