Start by marking “Go to Sleep, Little Farm” as Want to Read:

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Somewhere a bee
Makes a bed in a rose,
Because the bee knows
Day has come to a close.

Nighttime blankets a little farm. An owl who-hoots. A bear curls up in a log. A mother fox calls her pups home to the den. But animals aren't the only ones preparing to rest.
In the tradition of Margaret Wise Brown,with classically styled picture bookillustrations and fresh, childlike im
Published September 2nd 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Go to Sleep, Little Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to Sleep, Little Farm

Esutterlin
I was very disappointed with this book. The artwork was fine, but although it purports to be a bedtime/night time book, it has misinformation by implying that the beaver and mice, nocturnal animals, and rabbits, crepuscular animals, are all going to sleep at same time as the child in the story.
Rabbits are crepuscular, and can sleep with their eyes open, as prey animals, not like the illustrations depict if they are . Foxes are primarily nocturnal or crepuscular, although they can be active duri
Becky
This bedtime book didn't quite work for me. Not that it was awful. It wasn't. It leans more towards poetry than most picture books. For better or worse. Some lines, some rhymes seem to work well. Take the opening line, for example, "Somewhere a bee makes a bed in a rose, because the bee knows day has come to a close." This book is all about imagery and language and the sounds of words--being lulling. If a lulling bedtime book works, works dependably to send little ones to sleep quickly, or, effi ...more
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool

Lulling text accompanies an overlay of blue depicting animals going to sleep. Although this cannot be used as nonfiction because some of the facts are off, the pleasant meter and poetic arrangement of the text, accompanied with imaginative offerings of anything going to sleep ("somewhere a pocket sleeps in a skirt") shows it going to sleep in its right place, a slight encouragement for children that refuse to get into their bed.
Lisa Delacruz
great book for lullabys and story time
Jill Pickle
This book made me feel like my stomach wants to sing in the way only Margaret Wise Brown can. Yes, I just compared Mary Lyn Ray to my beloved MWB. I do not do this lightly.
Margie
A look at animals (humans included) and where they sleep, as all get ready to great the night for slumber. The slow pace is very lulling and relaxing which is certainly a good precursor to sleep. I was confused by the inclusion of such animals as bears and beavers as these don't qualify as farm animals. The illustrations with a heavy use of muted tones mimic dusk and approaching night, also helping to set the tone.
Margie
In Go To Sleep, Little Farm (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) written by Mary Lyn Ray with art by Christopher Silas Neal readers are gently lead about the farm, surrounding fields, and nearby woods as night falls. Inside the house a little girl mirrors the animals and their activities as she and her family welcome bedtime.

My full recommendation: http://bit.ly/1rKgrix
Bethe
Odd little bedtime book, rhymes don't always flow. Illustrations at beginning show echo of what animals are doing with the child getting ready for bed. Then things get more fanciful and more abstract. I was confused, wonder if young readers will be too.
Tracie
Night comes to a farm in this gentle bedtime book filled with quietly poetic text. Lovely illustrations in a muted palette alternate between a young girl preparing to go to bed and farm animals preparing for slumber.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sweet story to read before bed. The mixed media illustrations are calm with a vintage feel to them. The color pallet is small, but the tones give an evening mood to the story.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Ecl  Storytellers
Beautiful illustrations depict all sorts of things on the farm "somewhere" falling asleep. Note: there are inaccuracies with nocturnal animals falling asleep at night--but maybe that's not a big deal.
Sylvester
2* art
3* poem

Squirt seems more interested in the pages with the tractors than anything else. Some of the rhyming doesn't flow, but it's a nice bedtime calm-yourself-the-heck-down kind of read.
Peacegal
A sweet and quiet book about sleep and bedtime.

It is a shame that the easiest way to see a little farm is in a picture book like this, as they are rapidly becoming extinct in the real world.
Kathryn
What should have been a sweet book just wasn't. I thought the illustrations a bit quirky and the story of how the various animals sleep were not quite accurate. Just ho-hum for me.
Roben
Similar in ways to "Goodnight Moon". I liked parts of it but the three year old girl I was reading to was not engaged. Usually stories are read multiple times but this one only once.
Vicki
A rhyming goodnight book, with retro type illustrations-no bright colors here. This would be a good book to read to your little one as they go to bed or to read at a Pajama Storytime.
Mary
This book feels a bit like Goodnight Moon in its simplicity, repetition, and premise. It is clever and has nice illustrations with lots of sounds worked into the story.
A nice choice for those who have outgrown (or grown tired of) "Goodnight Moon". The illustrations are very nice even if the rhyme scheme is a bit stilted.
Marina
It was ok. I don't know what I was expecting but when the first few animals weren't even farm animals I was a bit disappointed.
Ms.Gaye
"Goodnight Moon" reinvented. Soothing, with uncomplicated yet engaging illustrations. Just right for an evening storytime.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Lovely illustrations with some beautiful lines in this bedtime read: "...Somewhere a story goes to sleep in a book".
Susan
This is a sweet book with an old-fashioned look. It's reminiscent of Goodnight Moon but it's about a farm not a room.
Calla
I love the pictures, sweet story. Would be fun to make a moon and star mobile along with this story. NH author.
Angie Shere
Beautiful pictures and words. Perfect bedtime book. Has a retro look and feel to it.
Danica Midlil
If you can't rhyme, don't try. Ugh. Weird, surreal illustrations do not help this book.
Harla
Great bedtime rhyming book. Love the flow of this one! Very readable for story time.
Paula
"The farm's creatures prepare for night and rest"-- Provided by publisher.
Mary
Beautiful illustrations, but the rhyming text was kind of clunky at times.
Brindi
the illustrations pushed this to 3 stars for me.
Steven Matview
Fantastic art but the story was kind of weird.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Animal Masquerade
  • A Piece of Cake
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Red Knit Cap Girl
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • The Snatchabook
  • The Day I Lost My Superpowers
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Hide and Sheep
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • Grumpy Goat
Mary Lyn Ray is a conservationist and author of several picture books for children. She was born in Louisiana in 1946 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Ray has lived in New England since 1964, when she first came east to attend college. She currently lives in a 150-year-old farmhouse in South Danbury, New Hampshire, which she restored herself.
More about Mary Lyn Ray...
Stars Mud BOOM!: Big, Big Thunder & One Small Dog Deer Dancer Christmas Farm