Crime and the American Dream

Crime and the American Dream

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  5 reviews
How has America's over-emphasis on the pursuit of materialistic gain contributed to the it's high rate of violent crime? CRIME AND THE AMERICAN DREAM is an easy-to-understand book that offers clear coveral of criminological theory, using institutional anomie theory as a foundation.
Published March 1st 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Crime and the American Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime and the American Dream

Lisa
Two sentences. That's how much attention was given to the positive influence the concept of the American Dream has had on our country. Zero words. That's how many were dedicated to explaining why people worldwide fight tooth and nail to come to America for better lives. The authors presented an interesting theory, sure, but without acknowledging the obviously positive influences our nationwide, decades-old mantra has had, it stunk of agenda and bias.
David
Nov 10, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to understand crime in america
Crime and the American dream changed the way that I view crime entirely. Crime was not one of my interests and I mostly ignored the subject. This book put crime into a framework that could be easily understood. It also made it easy to relate the subject to many other social and political conditions we face in America as Americans.
Jamie
Mar 21, 2008 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anthropologists, cj/social justice advocates
Interesting take on American cultural values and how they create a state of institutional anomie, leading to high crime rates. I use this in my criminology class.
Mark
Oct 10, 2008 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Criminology/Sociology geeks
Criminology text detailing the "win at all costs" mentality found in American culture and its impact on violent crime rates. A MUST READ!!!! Hehehe.
Diannegibson
Fascinating analysis of American culture and how it is really "organized for crime."
Mark Deus
Mark Deus marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sofia Sansweet
Sofia Sansweet is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2014
Iryna Zhovnirchyk
Iryna Zhovnirchyk marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
James Marin
James Marin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
NCCC Library
NCCC Library marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Exzentrius
Exzentrius marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Narayan Poudel
Narayan Poudel marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Ayda
Ayda added it
May 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Criminology : An Introduction Using ExplorIt Crime and the Economy Theoretical Integration in the Study of Deviance and Crime: Problems and Prospects Crime and Social Control in a Changing China Perspectives on Crime and Deviance