Start by marking “Overcoming Thyroid Disorders: A Holistic Approach to Treating Thyroid Disorders Including Hypothyroidism, Graves' Disease and Hashimoto's Disease: See How a Natural Treatment Program Can Reverse Many Chronic Disorders Including Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fa...” as Want to Read:

Dr. Brownstein will show you why there is so much misinformation about thyroid disorders. This book comtains all new information on how to implement a safe and effective natural regiment to treat thyroid disorders including: Graves' disease, Hashimoto's disease, and hypothyroidism. This book contains two new chapters which provide the latest information on how to holistica ...more
Unknown Binding, 256 pages
Published December 7th 2009 by Medical Alternatives Press (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Thyroid Disorders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Thyroid Disorders

anne
Dec 14, 2008 anne rated it it was amazing
Written on a very basic level. But, that's okay. I don't want to be able to speak fluent thyroid-ese, I just want to help aim people in the right direction. I'm excited for day #2 of my next menstrual cycle so I can start taking my basal body temp and figure out what's up with my tired little thyroid. Good times!
Michelle Johnson
Oct 04, 2014 Michelle Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: helpful
It was VERY repetitive. Some good info. But it could have been summarized in a blog article and saved me the $20 I paid for it. Okay, harsh. I didnt learn much new info, but someone new to a healthy lifestyle might learn a lot.
Gina Briganti
Feb 07, 2013 Gina Briganti rated it really liked it
Dr. Brownstein's perspective of blending the best of conventional and holistic medicine shines through in this book. I took seven pages of notes, and the book is now on my reference shelf.

It was kismet that I found this book for the bargain price of $1 at my Friend's of the Library sale. I hadn't heard of Brownstein before that.

My experience with helping clients to balance their thyroid glands was well supported by Brownstein's experience. As an example, Brownstein is clear about the benefits o
Sydney Walker
Aug 03, 2011 Sydney Walker rated it really liked it
Helped me better understand Hashimoto's and to know what kinds of questions to ask. I have now read it again, and I know that most western medical doctors aren't looking at the whole problem, just giving a pill to make the problem go away. I was told by one doctor that I needed to stop reading because he was the authority. Needless to say, I didn't go back and have since found a doctor that has me on Amour. Thank you Dr. Brownstein for writing this book!
Sandra
Oct 27, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with thyroid issues
A comprehensive book for understanding thyroid disfunction covering Grave's, Hashimoto's, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Hypothyroidism. There is a lot of information in this book and it is presented in a fashion that is easily understood. Dr. Brownstein presents helpful information on understanding the testing for thyroid disorders and basic information on treatment using the functional medicine approach.

What I liked: Easy to digest information from the perspective of functional medicine, so
Heatherhh
Jul 16, 2016 Heatherhh rated it liked it
Useful information, but rather repetitive at times. Some significant effort has been given to layout to make the book look bigger. Every chapter is introduced with a page that has just the chapter number and title, and then the back side is blank, and then the following page begins the text on the bottom half of the page. So 2 1/2 pages per chapter of blank space in introducing the chapter. At 14 chapters, that's over 30 pages added because they couldn't proceed to the next chapter normally. The ...more
JenJenBoBin
May 21, 2012 JenJenBoBin rated it it was amazing
*****5 Stars*****

First of all it was a free book all I had to pay was shipping! Secondly I found myself going "hey that's me" way to often and thinking if I could only find a Dr. like him to help me get better it would be amazing. I have emailed the Author in hopes that he can put me in touch with someone in my area that accepts my insurance. If I was wealthy I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Bloomfield, MI to see him in person. He gets "it"!!!
Kathi
Jul 20, 2014 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brownstein is a physician and Medical Director for the Center for Holistic Medicine in Bloomfield, MI. This book is a great beginner reference book for individuals with thyroid disorders. Brownstein discusses the various possible relationships between thyroid functioning and chronic pain, fibromyalgia, hashimoto's disease, and graves' disease. He describes gluten interaction and thyroid.
Apr 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
The book contains a lot of good information and explanations. What makes the book better are all the patient stories of their experiences. If it wasn't for the patient stories then I would have put it away without finishing. Glad I purchased it and read it through.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2010 Lisa added it
Another interesting read...
Emily
Nov 17, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
So informative. Even if you don't have a thyroid issue, this book is worth a read. It's very helpful on how to improve your health for everyday living.
Lacey
Nov 12, 2015 Lacey rated it liked it
I did learn a lot about thyroid function. Some of the book was redundant, but overall it was educational.
LuAnn
Sep 03, 2012 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent resource, filled with more information than I've ever gotten from my doctors about how to improve my health through balancing my thyroid.
Jennifer Houlihan
Jennifer Houlihan rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2009
Teniya
Teniya rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Ilse Decruy
Ilse Decruy rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Clint
Clint rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Terri Stoel
Terri Stoel rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2017
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Jb_612
Jb_612 rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Donna Phillips
Donna Phillips rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Beth Manautou
Beth Manautou rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
thomas ostrander
thomas ostrander rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Herbert L. Samworth rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Food and Healing: How What You Eat Determines Your Health, Your Well-Being, and the Quality of Your Life
  • Close to the Bone: Life-Threatening Illness as a Soul Journey
  • Super Natural Home: Improve Your Health, Home, and Planet--One Room at a Time
  • Doctor Yourself: Natural Healing That Works
  • Guinea Pig Scientists: Bold Self-Experimenters in Science and Medicine
  • The Eat-Clean Diet for Family and Kids: Simple Strategies for Lasting Health and Fitness
  • Healing the Gerson Way: Defeating Cancer and Other Chronic Diseases
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • The EFT Manual
  • Being You, Changing the World
  • Gone in a Heartbeat: A Physician's Search for True Healing
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods
  • The Soap Maker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques and Know-how (Natural Body Series - The Natural Way to Enhance Your Life)
  • The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook: Whole Foods Recipes for Personal and Planetary Health