Start by marking “Beauty” as Want to Read:
Beauty

Beauty

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  666 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Unhappy about his parents splitting up and moving with his mother to Grandpa's farm, eleven-year-old Luke finds comfort in riding and caring for a horse named Beauty.
She was an old horse, but she could still run like a champ. Grampa warned him to be careful with Beauty, but Luke didn't listen.
He'd told her all about his hopes, dreams, and fears -- secrets Beauty would nev
Published October 15th 1988 by Holiday House (first published 1988)

Diya
This book changed my life! I was in elementary school. Everyone was donating really old, torn, boring books to our grade. Everyone expected me to get a book about horses (I do horseback riding and I'm a girl, no dur!) I was about to pick up some dumb book about unicorns and rainbows, but in the corner of my eye, I saw this book just sitting there. It was previously owned by one of our old school teachers. It was in poor condition, but something told me I had to read it. I gave up a read a few p ...more
Holly Vanco
Oct 20, 2010 Holly Vanco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bill-wallace
Beauty Book Review
I thought this book was great. I loved every part of it except the ending. It starts out with a boy named Luke. His parents are fighting all the time and one day his dad just leaves. After his dad leaves his mom loses her job. So, his grandpa invites them to live with him. When Luke moves in he thinks his grandpa is a cranky, fussy, old man. Then his grandpa buys the horse his mom used to ride as a kid. When Luke starts riding Beauty he has no success. When he finally gets the
Zeb
Apr 14, 2015 Zeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among my big "Almost for free from the Library" pile of books. (purchased from their throw out pile) It's all about the love for horses and family members, and horses being such - family members. The cast caring about horses includes three males and one female character - boy, grandfather, mother, and rugged but loveable neighbor. The intensity and honesty of the emotions reminded me of my childhood favorite "Flicka", and also that the protagonist is a boy. I suppose very many pony and horse sto ...more
Madison Moss
Apr 28, 2014 Madison Moss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have kind of grown up with horses so I could relate to this book pretty well.I read this book when I was younger and I loved it I have continued to love it. Its all about relationships, family, and love. Beauty certainly lives up to its title. Amazing sentimental book for all ages. It will make you have a different point of view for almost all situations.One of the only things I didn't like about this book was it was pretty sad almost all of the book.But like I said before it gives you a view ...more
Suzan
Jan 12, 2016 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the book was okay. Because it is telling about how the boy lived with grandpa in Oklahoma. I did not have a favorite part. I think I was happy with the ending. I would recommend this book to a friend because it changed my life. Transactional reader would enjoy this book. The book wasn't suspenseful. The mood of the story was happy. I wasn't fearful for the characters. There weren't any clues to help me solve the mystery. It keeps me from guessing. I couldn't relate to the characters in t ...more
Regan
Still moves me to remember the story.. I read it in 6th grade but I'll have to re-read it sometime.
Maggie
Jul 08, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. A sad ending though.
Jenna Engbrecht
Apr 11, 2014 Jenna Engbrecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because I read it once when I was younger, and I also made my mom buy it at a book fair. The story takes place at a farm in the country, other wise known as Luke's grandpas house. Luke doesn't like his grandpa that much at first. He thinks he's mean and has a bunch of strict rules that Luke has to follow. Luke has an internal problem because he doesn't react to his grandfather, he just thinks these things to himself. Luke is definitely a dynamic character. He changes throughou ...more
Auriane
May 12, 2016 Auriane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review - Beauty
An Inspiring Adventure in the Oklahoma Dust

Rate out of 5 -

For my book review I chose to write about Beauty, as it is one of my favourite books after the series Heartland by Lauren Brooke.
This book is not part of a series. However, Bill Wallace is an author of many other books like ‘Eye of the Great Bear,’ ‘No Dogs Allowed,’ ‘Dog called Kitty’ and ‘Coyote Autumn.’ He has written approximately 45 books in total, and many of them are about animals, mainly directed to ages nin
122sara
May 14, 2013 122sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to 122sara by: Friend
Luke, an 11 year old boy, and his mother have to move to his grandfather's house because of money problems. At first he is very angry about moving. His grandpa is very strict and can be really grumpy sometimes. He and Luke get into many, many fights. Angry about having to live there, Luke rejects his family and everyone that he meets. That is, until he meets Beauty. Beauty is Luke's mother's old horse. She's the color of snow and has a spot on her forehead that looks like a star. Luke eventuall ...more
Delaney
Oct 04, 2015 Delaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I was really into bill Wallace's book so I read a bunch of his books and the one that still sticks with me today is Beauty. It's such a beautiful story (no pun intended) and you feel like you really connect to the characters, and you really feel and understand the relationship between Luke and Beauty. I read this when I was 2nd or 3rd grade maybe 4th so I don't really know how older readers would experience the story but I still would recommend it.
Keegan King
Jul 08, 2014 Keegan King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I picked this book up off the library shelf. It was hardly anything cool an 8 year old kid would want to read. Horses, love, and other sappy things. I don't know if it was boredom, curiosity, or some weird twist of fate, but I picked it up, red it, cried my ass off, and never touched it again. Something about this book changed me as a kid from someone who enjoyed life to someone who valued it.
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the third grade, it was truly a book that gave great detail of the feelings between each character. It was also sad because at the end the main character has to make a sacrifice that he seems that he does not want to make. Though this book has some tragedies, it shows many great examples.
Belle
Jun 18, 2015 Belle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Put this right next to Where the Red Fern Grows. It's a book that will make an adult sob, but it has a sweet ending and a theme of family & endurance.
Brittany Robertson
I bawled, even when I read it a second time. It's such a touching story, and I would read it over and over again. I love this book.
Heidi Komes
Dec 18, 2015 Heidi Komes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kody is reading this for school and I thought I would read it too. Very good book and Kody loves his books
Heather
May 09, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that made me LOVE reading! I love it! I need to get my own copy!
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q4 = Exceptional!, P4 = A book everyone wants to read
Emily Cornell
Jul 27, 2014 Emily Cornell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this so much as a kid...
Rachel
Jun 28, 2015 Ayla Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.
Linda
Jan 21, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so, so. My daughter and I have enjoyed other Bill Wallace books but so far this one is my least favorite. Even though it's heartwarming to see the relationship between Luke and his Grandfather develop and to see Luke grow personally, the story lacked something for me. As with all Bill Wallace books I have read, the beloved animal always meets with some tragedy that is a pivitol growing moment for the main character and this story was no different.
Another Battle Book read!
Christy
Oregon Battle of the Books. Beauty is a horse book. 10-year-old Luke loves his old horse Beauty, worries about starting 5th grade in a new place, learns to appreciate his cranky grandpa, and hopes his recently divorced mother finds happiness and a job. There's a tear-jerker moment and an Old Yeller ending, but on the whole, it's not spectacular. A good book for boys.
Rachel Inbar
Apr 14, 2013 Rachel Inbar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book needed to have 2 endings. One for older kids and one for younger ones. I think the one for younger children would be better... Basically, although I enjoyed the style of the writing and the story in general, I think it could have had a better ending. I read this to my 7-year-old and had to change it.
Jayna
May 09, 2013 Jayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a really good book. His Grandpa is pretty mean but he gets better. It was sad at the beginning, and super sad at the end; at the very end it got a bit happier. the middle of the book was AWESOME! At some points it got boring but keep reading, it gets better.
Keely
Sep 28, 2014 Keely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-books
I thought this book was great! It was a great read. It actually made me cry in the end, and only certain books can do that. I enjoyed reading about the bond between horse and man. Bill Wallace writes yet another great book!
Tamara Taylor
This is one of my favourite horse books of all time. It is so moving. I read this when I was a youngun and it has stuck with me over the past 20 years. I cried so hard at the end. I will remember this one always.
Jennifer Spires
Some books you loved as a kid don't stand the test of time. When you reread them as an adult you're left wondering why you loved it to begin with. In this case, not so. Never. It will always be amazing.
Matthew
Feb 10, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Bill Wallace's novels and Beauty was no different. At its core it is a novel about relationships, family, and love. Beauty certainly lives up to its title and was a splendid read.
What's The Name o...: Sad book about a boy and his horse? [s] 5 122 Aug 02, 2012 01:42PM
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • I, Houdini
  • The Blind Colt
  • Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2)
  • Deadly Stranger
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • Horse Talk (Saddle Club, #71)
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • Storm Chaser
  • Paint the Wind
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Why Did the Underwear Cross the Road?
  • Friendly Foal (Winnie The Horse Gentler, #7)
  • Buttermilk Hill
  • Through Grandpa's Eyes
  • Firehorse
72012
Former elementary school teacher; West Elementary School, Chickasha, OK, principal, since 1977, and physical education teacher. Speaker at schools and universities in various states, including State University of New York and University of South Florida.

AWARDS:

Bluebonnet Award from Texas Association of School Librarians and Children's Round Table and Sequoyah Children's Book Award from Oklahoma St
More about Bill Wallace...