Start by marking “The House” as Want to Read:

The House

Can a house keep secrets?

1840’s – When Lord Edward Armstrong builds the house for his bride, Anna, the family is at the climax of its power. But its world is threatened when no heir is born. Anna could restore their fortunes, but it would mean the ultimate betrayal. Then the Great Famine grips the country.

1910s – Clara finds life as lady of the manor is not what she expec
Published 2013 by Poolbeg Press (first published December 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House

Sharon Coleman
Dec 08, 2015 Sharon Coleman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't, I just can't.

In all honesty I was only able to get to the 2% mark before saying shoot me now.

The dialogue had me laughing out loud and not so much in a good way, more in an OMG did she really just tell her husband (whom she is--pleasantly and happily, mind you--in the process of divorcing) what it is that they both do for a living? Didn't he know? "We both work in good professions –you’re a journalist and I’m an architect,” said Nico.

And that is the only time a character says anything.
Aoife
Oct 31, 2013 Aoife rated it it was ok
Recommended to Aoife by: I won a copy from The Bord Gais Book Club
Shelves: 2013-completion
This is a hard one to rate. In my mind it's a 2.5 star book and struggling to decide whether to mark up or down.
The book is very easy to read and the story isn't too bad. However it's very predictable and the writing itself is only ok. What the book lacks is any real depth of character and a lot less of the abrupt jumps that take place in terms of character changes and plot progression. It just doesn't have the feel of a book written by a fully fledged author but give him/her a few years and wh
Cath Stannard
Sep 30, 2015 Cath Stannard rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book.
I love historical fiction and this book took you through 3 different centuries which each told a fascinating story. All the characters were very real and believable and I didn't want the book to 3nd. Can't wait to read the next instalment
Lindsey
Dec 29, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't have loved this anymore. It was ssssooo brilliant and I was so ragging when it was over, I feel in love with ALL characters and ALL stories and I am still thinking of them as I read anothr book and wondering how they are all getting on and what they are getting themselves up too ha
Erin
Feb 04, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
I love a great family saga through the decades. This story had me hooked from chapter one! This is my first time reading this author and come to find out, there is a second book in this series!

(Side note: this author needs to find a better editor. There were lots of page breaks missing. So when scenes change, it makes it hard to follow along. It's like that through the entire book. But you can't fault the story for the editing!)
Jan
May 19, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
It's always fascinating to learn the history of a house. This book takes you through the lives of people who lived in the house, then we discover the house all over again through piecing puzzles together and making guesses of what might have happened in the house.

Interesting perspectives. Enjoyable read.
Wendy
Dec 29, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on my kobo and quite enjoyed it. It's unfortunate that on each page were several words printedtogether likethis. I would hope the real book is easier to read. It's a love story through the generations of those who lived at Armstrong House in Ireland. It's also a good history lesson for Eire.
Rosemary Lauryn
Aug 08, 2016 Rosemary Lauryn rated it it was ok
I don't understand why modern storylines have to have so much profanity. She's clearly a gifted author as she proved with the first two historical tales, but the foul characters in the last one completely ruined it.
Louise
Jul 12, 2016 Louise rated it liked it
I found the story line interesting but the writing was awkward. First, having people who lived over a hundred years ago say modern movie cliches didn't work. Also, having two characters speaking in the same paragraph made it confusing.
Ashley
Jul 18, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
I loved this novel. I loved that the author uses three different periods of time to show the lives of the people who lived there. It shows us that it doesn't matter who you are or when you lived, everyone has happiness, secrets, misery…
Sharon Brewer
Dec 11, 2015 Sharon Brewer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House

I loved this book! Although this story is told through three generations of the same family, the author connected each story. This story grabbed me right from the beginning. Highly recommended!
Jess
Dec 15, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
takes a while to get started and the editor missed some serious grammatical errors which was disappointing but a fantastic read
Dorothy H. Jodice
Dorothy H. Jodice rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Amy Liddell
Amy Liddell rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2015
Patricia Lawrence
Patricia Lawrence rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Rita Pender
Rita Pender rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Patty Hernandez
Patty Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Jerome
Jerome rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
William E. Eckhardt
William E. Eckhardt rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Marilynn
Marilynn rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Maria-celene Hardy
Maria-celene Hardy rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Theresa North
Theresa North rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Brenda Staunton
Brenda Staunton rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Nancy TenBroeck
Nancy TenBroeck rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Lynda Strickland
Lynda Strickland rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Kay R. Schafer
Kay R. Schafer rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Forbidden Room
  • Gollup the Woods | Twin Power
  • Last Rights (Francis Hancock #1)
  • A Shameful Murder (Reverend Mother Mystery #1)
  • A Note Below (A Lansin Island Short Story)
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Ireland
  • His Grace Regrets
  • CSI Reilly Steel 3 Book Boxset
  • Hot Gossip (The Kerry Series, #2)
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
  • Dublin Noir: The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American
  • Border Angels (Inspector Celcius Daly Mystery, #2)
  • Miss Amelia Lands a Duke (The Caversham Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The 53rd Parallel (River of Lakes, #1)
  • Twillyweed
  • Before I'm Gone (The Night Killer, #2)
  • NOT A BOOK: Tear Drop