Be My Valentine: My Funny Valentine\My Hero

Be My Valentine: My Funny Valentine\My Hero

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  598 ratings  ·  57 reviews
BE MY VALENTINE—AND NOT JUST ON FEBRUARY 14!

My Funny Valentine

Dianne Williams needs a man.
But only for a night. The night of the community center Valentine dinner, to be precise. Exasperated by her children's relentless efforts to get her a date, Dianne finds herself approaching a handsome stranger named Steve and making him an outrageous offer. An offer he doesn't refu...more
Published January 21st 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Be My Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be My Valentine

Carre Gardner
OK girls, I'm telling you, 3 and 4-star trashy romances DO exist! Actually, of the two books within this one, I've only read the second, "My Hero," and true to form for Debbie Macomber, it isn't trashy. It's not even really a great romance, but it IS humorous. The heroine, an aspiring authoress, finds a man she thinks would be the perfect hero for the book she's writing. So she starts stalking him, the better to observe what a real hero does. The story has all the communication entanglements of...more
Carol
These were a cute, light read for Valentine's Day. Two stories in one book. I had read the first
Jan
Read so I could pass it on to my 90 year old voracious reading aunt.
Mary Aris
Once again Mcomber has written another amazing story about the intricacies of Love. In this Valentine's Day book the author has woven two tales of romance. In 'Be My Funny Valentine', a divorced woman is hazzled by her Mum and Kids to find a date for the Community Centre's Valentine's Day Dance. Overwhelmed by the pressure, Dianne persuades and pays a dark handsome stranger by the name of Steve into being her escort to the Dance. What she doesn't realize, though, is that Cupid is about to hit th...more
Doris
Another book containing two stories. Thank goodness! Why? Well, reading about the second story in the intro, that was really the one I was interested in and I was worried that I would have to 'hunt it down'. Luckily, that wasn't the case.
The set-up in the first story is somewhat familiar - a woman, a mother, a divorce, a son and daughter ... and all the insecurities that go with it. There is the manipulative mother who constantly finds unsuitable blind dates, the fourteen year old son who insist...more
Amanda
This was my first Debbie Macomber book, and I'm afraid that I struck gold the first time around and won't get it again!

This book is really two novella's that involve Valentine's Day - although the first story, My Funny Valentine has the holiday as a much more integral part. Both were really sweet, and really funny contemporary romances - and were both completely sex-free! I don't think I have ever read a sexless romance that I actually liked and was shocked at how much I enjoyed this - I guess...more
Connie
My mom gave me this book to read a few years ago. She likes Debbie Macomber.
It has two short stories both about single females in their early thirties. (I was pleasantly surprised at how clean it is for being an adult book.) The first story made me laugh a lot. Dianne is a divorced mom who at the last minute decides to pay a guy to take her to the town's Valentine's dinner only because she promised her kids she would go. Well, if that doesn't scream mistake number one wait until the next one an...more
Heather
Within this book are two novelettes which Debbie Macomer wrote during the early part of her career. The story Be my Valentine is funny and both main characters are funny and the conflict is enough to keep the reader engaged. My Hero was a bit long and the main character, Bailey York, pushed her hero away a little too much for me to truly sympathize with her. She needed to realize that the past was the past and that she should turn to the future.
Comparing these early stories with some of her new...more
Carolyn
Really loved the first story - My Funny Valentine. Well crafted story with a wonderful ending.
Wendy
I am not a big romance reader. I liked this book because it has 2 short stories and no smut. Short and sweet.
Lorraine
I usually love Debbie Macomber books but this one just didn't stand out to me.
Christy Farmer
A delightful read for Valentine's Day!
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This is a 2-in-1 book. The first novella, My Funny Valentine is cute. The second story, My Hero, was just so-so. It's all about a budding novelist trying to write a romance story but is having trouble with the hero in her story. So she stalks a man she sees on the subway and that start a relationship. To enjoy the story, I think you'd have to be a budding novelist yourself as that part of the storyline totally dominates everything else, including the romance. I love the author, but My Hero is de...more
Belynda Mcnairn
Didn't finish it. I lost interest after the first story
Kelley
Two heartwarming and hunorous stories by master Debbie Macomber. I loved My Funny Valentine but I thought My Hero was a little too silly. I love the premise about an aspiring romance novelist trying to find her "perfect hero" and seeing a man on the subway that fits. But I really didn't care for Bailey all that much. She was a little too "poor me" to make me happy. I have loved everything I've read of Macomber's to date but i guess it was expected that at some point i'd find one that didn't impr...more
Meaghan
two cute stories based on falling in love around valentines day
Donnajo
This was a fast book I found in a bag yesterday if I knew I had a Valentine day book I would have read it on the day. But it was still a excellent read. Two of the author's reissues My Funny Valentine with Dianne who was being pushed in finding a date for Valentine dinner by her son, daughter and mother.
And My Hero about Bailey who is trying to be a romance writer and can't get the guy in her story right.

Kristi Downs
So I have to say thisis my least favorite Debbie Macomber. I didn't even read the second story in this book b/c the first one made me cringe. I didn't like the main female character AT ALL!! She was too needy and whiny and this story didn't flow right for me. Maybe one day I will read the second one since its not related to the first, but I don't want to wastemy time on crap when I can be reading something good!
Margaret Chair
The book is two romantic short stories ... the 1st one was so funny I caught myself seriously laughing out loud! It was time for some fun, light reading and this book was just the ticket! The second book was great ... about an aspiring writer and her romantic mis-adventures until she meets "her hero." It's a hysterical adventure from that point on. Totally enjoyed both stories!
Michele
This book is actually 2 novelettes in one. I always enjoy reading Debbie Macomber when I need something simple and fast, plus she always leaves you with a feel-good feeling. I just wish her female characters were a bit smarter.
Sandy
Both stories were very similar. All too perfect girl meets all too perfect guy and they have an all too perfect ending. Positive side: quick read, and it didn't keep me awake at night wondering what was going to happen next.
Toby
A short, but fun love story of a divorced mother whose kids and mother are trying to get her to go to a valenine dance and they try to fix her up with blind dates, but of course she finds her own and they live happily ever after.
Luda Shpak
It was fun and flirty.. Definitely cheesy and a quick read.
Some of it seem a little too good to be true, but I think thats
what Debbie was aiming for with a Valentine's Day book.
Three stars is the average- I liked the first story a lot more than I liked the second. (Reading a romance novel about someone writing a romance novel was just to meta for me.)

Lynda
This was ok but I'm not a huge fan of short stories in general.Everything fitted together a little too smoothly for my liking.Not something I'd re-read but was ok.
Patty
Debbie does not disappoint with these two love stories. I am a sucker for cheesy romance. Such a quick read and exactly what I was looking for.
Kim
This book was typical Debbie Macomber - cute, romance novel - but I found both of the stories were a little too predictable.
Sarahjane
Sappy. Silly. Romantic. Fanciful. Good beach read or just for when you're in a rainy mood and want something lighthearted.
Amos
Aug 09, 2010 Amos marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010
Added to my “to Read piles”…
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Tea and Destiny: Tea and Destiny\Light the Stars
  • Snow Angels
  • Stars (Stars of Mithra #1 & 2)
  • Blue Velvet
  • The Penny Tree
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Philly Stakes (Amanda Pepper, #2)
  • The Wedding Party
  • Good Husband Material
  • The McCaffertys: Matt (McCaffertys)
  • Part of the Bargain: Part of the Bargain\To Wed and Protect
  • One in a Million: One in a Million\A Dad for Her Twins
  • Everything and a Kite

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)