Dances with Luigi: A Grandson's Search for His Italian Roots

Dances with Luigi: A Grandson's Search for His Italian Roots

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this spirited memoir, veteran TV journalist Paul Paolicelli does what many of us can only dream of--he picks up and moves to a foreign country in an attempt to trace his ancestral roots. With the help of Luigi, his guide and companion, he travels through Italy--Rome, Gamberale, Matera, Miglionico, Alessandria, even Mussolini's hometown of Predappio--and discovers the tr...more
Published November 6th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dances with Luigi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dances with Luigi

Joyce
A beautifully written book about Mr. Paolicelli's search for his roots. I had the honor of hearing Paul Paolicelli speak about his experience and I knew I had to read his book. Having grandparents who came to America from Italy, it was easy to relate to his frustrations, little triumphs and contact with family members that he did not know. It was also interesting to realize that many of us hold the customs of Italy so dear and pass these down to the next generation. His book is not just filled w...more
Maureen
I picked this book up on a whim from a display table at the library. As the granddaughter of an Italian immigrant, the author's journey to find the history of his own Italian ancestors interested me. I, too, lived in Rome while I was in college so I really enjoyed his descriptions of his encounters as an American living in Italy. I could relate to his experiences meeting his relatives as I traveled to Sicily, and later to Sardinia with my husband, to meet my extended family who had not seen any...more
Willie
This account of an Italian-American journalist's impressively dedicated and thorough quest to find out about his Italian roots is pretty interesting in a lot of ways, especially in discovering some of the local truths and horrors of WWII fascist government and occupation, and the conditions of Southern Italy that have help contribute to long standing disparaging of southerners as a stupid, backwards people.
I wasn't that into his writing style, which struck me as too text-book how-to-write-a-mem...more
Linda
As a 3rd generation, half Italian-American, I enjoyed reading this story of the author's determined search for his roots in Italy. It made me want to write my own story.
Frances
I loved this book. I loved it so much that I followed up with Paul Paolicelli's Under the Southern Sun which nicely explains to be from Il Mezzogiorno.

I highly recommend this to anyone considering tracing their ancestry back to the country of origin. This is for any person in the USA who may be a third or second generation of an immigrant family, I highly recommend this read. Lovely, loving and moving family story. Che Bella Storia!
Dave
The author goes back to Italy and tries to discover his Italian roots on both sides of his family. It is a fascinating voyage with very authentic portrayals of rural Italy and its customs and inhabitants, all of woven together with the family on the US side, which had lost contact with the Italian side. Well done.
Betty Sciulli rowley
This book is about my families homeland Gamberale Italy. I've actually emailed Paul before and he knows my uncles Michaelangelo and Valentino from Pittsburgh. Fantastic read and explains why many of our families immigrated from Italy before and after WWII.
Anne Cignoli
A friend of mine sent me this book in the mail because the name Bucci came up more than once. A great read for those wanting to learn more about their Italian roots.
Judy
This book is a autobiographical and tiringly self-focussed at times, but in the end I liked it and thought the author had grown because of his quest.
Linda
The author searches for his roots in southern Italy, recounting his experiences and the dozens of people he met along the way.
Jackie
great read about an American journalist moving to Italy to research his ancestral roots
Maureen
This I read first. A genealogist's dream, and reality.
Carissa
I didn't finish this book. I just lost interest.
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
David
David is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Chantel
Chantel marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014