Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints (Encyclopedia Brown #16)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Who hid the blond wig in the trash can near the Yacht Club...why does Tyrone Taylor have a black eye...and what about the mysterious handprints outside Mr. Heiden's cottage?

Who knows? Encyclopedia Brown, of course! America's Sherlock Holmes in sneakers is back, with ten brand-new solve-it-yourself mysteries to challenge and amaze his fans. You can match wits with the ten-y
Published September 16th 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints

Brady
My read-and-review-one-book-a-week resolution is getting desparate, as you can see. Unwilling to read the 148 pages I have remaining in Life of Pi by tonight, I nabbed this book from my little brother's shelf.

I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was the age for him, and I love him now as well. He's living proof that no knowledge is useless, and his viciously snarky and unabashed attitude mixes with his expansive brain to create the perfect kind of mini-sleuth. And the one-liners are great, and the
As usual, Encyclopedia Brown and his punchy sidekick, Sally, are able to bat down all of the curveballs that are tossed to them. Usually I solve a lest eight out of the ten mysteries in an EB installment, but this time I was not as successful. (I believe this was mainly due to the fact that the solutions were more abstract / theoretical than in the typical installment, and were therefore less readily hit upon by readers.)

Visit my website to read my full review!

Tim Ganotis
I can't tell if I am solving the mysteries based on the clues, or because the solution is tucked away in my brain from reading these as a child. Either way, quite enjoyable.
Andy
That was a blast from the past
Alex
No matter how many of these I read, I still can't manage to solve even half of the cases. I'd feel dumb, but I'm pretty sure no one on earth could solve all of them, since EB sure uses a lot of circumstantial evidence and far-out theories to explain his "solutions".

I would love to see one of the villains just laugh in his face and say he's proved nothing during EB's holier-than-thou speech on why he, and he alone, solved the case.

That being said, man this is fun re-reading these and snarking o
Katie
The chapter that made me really fall in love with the book was The Case of the Angry Girl. It's hilarious and you just want to keep laughing after you've read the solution to it. So I gave it 5 stars,because of that. I think you should really read the book, and after you've read the chapter that I'm talking about hopefully you'll laugh your heart out,just like I did.:)
Catherine Woodman
I loved the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid, tho' I could not get any of my kids fired up about them
Ashley
I read ALL of these I could get my hands on when I was younger. I absolutely LOVED them!!
Matt
Even twenty years later, I still get stumped.
Jasper
It was a good mysterious book.
Courtney
Encyclopedia always got his man!
Partridge Public
Kai
Kai added it
Jan 22, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Brittany Benson
Brittany Benson marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Dennyk
Dennyk added it
Nov 23, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Nov 29, 2014
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Pizza Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #33)
  • Detective Stories
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • The Mystery of the Circus Clown (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #7)
  • The Prince's Poison Cup
  • The New Year Dragon Dilemma (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #5)
  • Soccer Halfback
  • The Missing 'Gator of Gumbo Limbo
  • The Mummy Case (Hardy Boys, #63)
  • The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)