Start by marking “The Dark Blood (Long War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Blood (Long War, #2)

The Dark Blood (The Long War #2)

In the court of every city in the lands of Ro, a sorceress sits. And in the minds of that city's people, each sorceress weaves a song. She and her sisters sing of the liberation of the land, the taming of the highland tribes, and the birth of a precious new race: the children of a dead god.

Of course, they do not sing of the death of young Prince Christophe at the hands of
Published August 1st 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published July 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Blood

Liviu
Sep 24, 2014 Liviu rated it did not like it
despite occasional flashes of interest, the novel is sub-mediocre and I am done with the series; the writing verges on bad and laughable on many occasions and the storyline is just cliche after cliche including the main villains being a few ultra-seductive magical women whom men find literally irresistible so they take over the minds of the most important movers and shakers from various places - kings, generals, knights, clerics and of course all men - except of course for the immune main ...more
Robin Carter
Mar 18, 2015 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review

I was (am) a big fan of A J Smiths debut novel, while it’s not a perfect fantasy book, it was cleverly written (a little on the epic side) …well read my Review.

Writing a review for an author is also even more of a pleasure when you meet the author and you find out they are genuinely a really nice person. (if you get a chance to go to the next Goldsboro books Fantasy in the Court you really must)

So how does book 2 measure up? if I’m honest its significantly stronger than book 1, the author
Johan
Dec 17, 2015 Johan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of mysterious but cool characters and races. It's really going back epic and deep in this book. I wouldn't call it horror in any way though, just occasionally horrific fantasy.
Ubiquitousbastard
Firstly, I have been looking forward to this book since around this time last year. I think that may have been a bit of the problem I had when I actual was able to read it. I built up my expectations from the first book, believing that it would at least be as good as the first one or hopefully better. Quite sadly, I didn't like this book nearly as much as I liked the first one. A large part of why I couldn't find myself as interested was the characters that this book focused on and what they ...more
Marcus Holland
Sep 24, 2014 Marcus Holland rated it it was amazing
The writing in this book is more polished and the characters become more defined. The bigger picture (the long war) is more to the fore. A great book, my only quibble is that it feels like part 2 rather than a complete story in it's own right. Still I can't wait for no.3 to see what happens next.
Sam
Apr 17, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
Wonderfully exciting! A.J.’s second novel in the series was a tremendous improvement over the first. Events seem less forced and coincidental, characters that I felt no affinity for have suddenly become important to me, and finally it feels that the action is more intense. Nothing but good to say and I eagerly await the next book.
Jack Davis
May 27, 2015 Jack Davis rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Really starting to enjoy the series and in this one, you get to know the characters more, unlike the first one. Looking forward to part 3.
Rudi Opperman
Jan 22, 2016 Rudi Opperman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have a list of authors that I like more any than any other authors. A. J. Smith is on this list.
Robin
Sep 24, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
A book to be savoured which is exactly what I did.
Vaelin
Oct 30, 2016 Vaelin rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.

This book really built on everything established in the opener and ran with it extremely well. I could have easily breezed through this in a few days if i had more time.

Anyone who is a fan of epic/grimdark/sword n sorcery fantasy, get into this series (it is also completed now too)
Pat King
Sep 23, 2016 Pat King rated it really liked it
Very good and getting better
Tom Morse
Sep 17, 2016 Tom Morse rated it it was amazing
More of the same. This was funny exciting fantasy, with Trolls and big spiders. A fast paced read. I chewed it up and am moving to the third installment right now. Smith has a big talent. Thanks for entertaining me so well, A.J. Smith.
Carl Phillips
Aug 26, 2015 Carl Phillips rated it liked it
Bit of an odd one this. A.J. Smiths writing is very engaging and there is something intangible about this book that makes me read it - despite it being fairly chunky in length I read it over one weekend and enjoyed it. The characters are interesting and the world-building innovative. I think the only thing stopping this being a 4 star book or higher is that some of the things I disliked in the first book are back, and seem to have got worse - namely pacing and the number of POVs. First of all - ...more
Chris Whybrow
With me, the star system isn't really a reliable way of telling how good a book is. I gave 'Insomnia' three stars, and 'The Amber Spyglass' one, but with hindsight, I would rather read 'The Amber Spyglass'. I'm giving 'The Dark Blood' three stars, the same as 'The Black Guard', the first book in this series, because many of the first book's flaws, unnecessary exposition, occasionally stilted prose and dialogue and seemingly dodgy plot elements, are still there.*

But, I really liked this book. And
Ruth
Sep 24, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2014: FWFTB: enchantress, avenge, Dokkalfar, axemaiden, forger. There are maps and a glossary - but no 'what has gone before'. With these fairly hefty tomes, it makes it a near impossibility to refresh my mind by rereading the first/previous. In my current state of decluttering, it is more than likely, no matter how much I have enjoyed the book, that I have given it away to a charity shop. But some of the original characters had left an impact so, together with the wonderful reviewers of GR ...more
Chris
Feb 12, 2015 Chris rated it it was ok
Alec Mackenzie
Sep 24, 2014 Alec Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Sasha
Feb 08, 2015 Sasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-ma-zing
The Dark Blood, book 2 of the Chronicles of the Long War, is different to the first. Here, most of the chapters are from the point of views of characters that were not in the first one or for very little. It mainly focuses on the travels of Kale Glenwood with Rham Jas Rami (the only person capable of killing the Seven Sisters); Dalian Thief Taker as he searches for Rham Jas Rami; Tyr Nanon who is also looking for Rham Jas Rami and Randall of Darkwald, a young squire who has found his fate to ...more
Sonya Cameron
Jul 11, 2015 Sonya Cameron rated it it was ok
I didn't realise this was the second book in a series until I had nearly finished it, which was a surprise as every chapter felt like it was introducing a new character and I was left waiting for stuff to actually happen. If I had read the first book I might know why everyone was so far from their own homes and ended up fighting to save each other's cities all the time. And as for the battle descriptions - too far fetched and too bloody, it just got monotonous. In short - too many characters, no ...more
Ed Napiorkowski
Jul 12, 2015 Ed Napiorkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a better read than the first in the series (The BlackGuard) even though the writing style remained consistent. Perhaps I had warmed to the characters a bit more or perhaps it was that the pace had picked up a bit, more likely a combination of the two. A good read and I am now enthusiastically waiting for the final instalment (the red prince). Many a character looses their life in a bloody skirmish as the story unfolds but then this is a complex and widespread story that has a ...more
Scott
Feb 10, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, excellent character growth and story growth. Well worth the read and time.

Again, a nice surprise and I cannot wait for the fourth book. I have had these books for a long time and I was hesitant based on some reviews. But all in all, this was a really good read.

Give it a shot, I don't want to give anything away, so trust me... the writing improves as does everything else.
Jawad Khan
Jul 06, 2015 Jawad Khan rated it really liked it
Nothing new to say i guess, the author did improve upon several aspects of the first story with more in depth characterization of some characters but i also felt the story getting more disconnected. It would be nice if he wound the story a bit more tightly.
Fans of dark fantasy would still enjoy this and despite its flaws it was still a nice read, looking forward to the red prince!
Gropbot
Jul 05, 2015 Gropbot rated it it was ok
I did read the second book with little expectations but the story develops better than in the first book.
Anyhow the author still seems to lack a broader picture of his story yet - Still he constantly introduces new persons and plots and looses others.
Trouble Griffiths
Mar 31, 2015 Trouble Griffiths rated it liked it
I suppose that I got used to the tentacles of Lovecraft from the first book. It's still a good story, but not as exceptional as the first book
Calum
Calum rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Praneeth
Praneeth rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Aimee Gathergood
Aimee Gathergood rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Bewilderedlemon
Bewilderedlemon rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Jeff Edison-Brown
Jeff Edison-Brown rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Dave Goble
Dave Goble rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Battel of cozz 2 8 Jul 25, 2014 09:48AM
  • Cold Redemption (Gallow, #2)
  • Stands a Shadow (The Heart of the World, #2)
  • Clash of Iron (Iron Age, #2)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • Warrior: The Moondark Saga, Books 1-3 (The Moondark Saga Boxed Sets)
  • Black Halo (Aeons' Gate, #2)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Lord of Slaughter (The Wolfsangel Cycle #3)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
  • The Free
Writing is the only thing I do that doesn't make me feel like I should be doing something else.

Fantasy author of The Long War. Owner of 24 goblins (one too many).
More about A.J. Smith...

The Long War (4 books)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • The Red Prince (The Long War, #3)
  • The World Raven (The Long War, #4)