Start by marking “You and Yours” as Want to Read:
You and Yours

You and Yours

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In You and Yours, Naomi Shihab Nye continues her conversation with ordinary people whose lives become, through her empathetic use of poetic language, extraordinary. Nye writes of local life in her inner-city Texas neighborhood, about rural schools and urban communities she’s visited in this country, as well as the daily rituals of Jews and Palestinians who live in the war- ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by BOA Editions Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about You and Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You and Yours

metaphor
Jun 25, 2016 metaphor rated it liked it
Remind us again,
[…]
What countries may we
sing into?
What lines should we all
be crossing?
What songs travel toward us
from far away
to deepen our days?
We live among stray thoughts
tasks abandoned midstream.
Our fickle hearts are fat
with stray devotions, we feel at home
among bits and pieces,
all the wandering ways of words.
[…] why have we given the wrong weight to what we do?
And all the gaping days
they bought no tickets
for spinning them around.
Gary
Jan 25, 2014 Gary rated it it was ok
Why a “2” rating? Is it a bad book? Is this book just not for me? Does Nye not say anything worthwhile? Is poetry not something I get? Is this poetry?

Questions I pose for myself. Poetry sound wonderful to me—being able to express thoughts beyond words on the paper. I just don’t see the depth in most of the 49 poems presented. They seem more words on a page, rather than opening my eyes to something beyond. The thoughts seem more prosaic, along with the words.

So is the problem me or Nye?

For more o
Tristan
Sep 29, 2014 Tristan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A very good collection. Like Honeybee: Poems & Short Prose, this book had some very strong pieces and some much weaker pieces, but was overall, very, very good. I loved "For Mohammed Zeid of Gaza, Age 15," "Frequent Frequent Flyer," and "Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting". I will say I thought this book had less breadth than Honeybee, but it was both earlier and shorter so that is understandable. Some poems, like "The Wreath that Eats Two Ice Cubes" were a bit odd/ rather pointless, but many were ...more
Wendy
Sep 22, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is the book that I bought and asked the author to sign after she gave the best literary reading I've ever witnessed. Ever. And I've been to hundreds of readings. Some really good ones, too. But this was the best. The BEST.
Sandra
Nov 21, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
"Frequent Frequent Flyer" made me laugh without trying to; how many poets can show the humor of our common experience by just telling it. And how many poets can write political poetry without sounding polemic. Instead Nye focuses on the power of language and how warlike our choice of words has become, witness "Dictionary in the Dark" and "Why I Could Not Accept Your Invitation." Again, she "live[s] in the teaspoon, bucket, river, pain, turtle sunning on a brick." She contrasts the rhetoric of wa ...more
Lisa Roney
Dec 20, 2014 Lisa Roney rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
These are poems that span a huge range of subjects and styles, from the humble domestic scene to shattering world politics, from terse images to story-like prose poems. I kept the book on my bedside table and read a poem or two every evening or so, and this was a good way to approach them, as it let me think about these variations over time. While I found some poems much strong than others, the best ones are fabulous--insightful and kind. They create that all-important typically female connectio ...more
PAUL VAUGHN
Feb 26, 2014 PAUL VAUGHN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poems with a Social Conscious

I enjoyed this book. The poems are so immediate in nature, as if I were in the very settings. The poet also lets her opinions be known, without ranting or raging. My favorite poems include "My Perfect Stranger," about planes and ethnicity in a post 9/11 world. A great book for those who love poetry, or are interested in poems that protest war.
Sunni
Jun 20, 2013 Sunni rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
There is something in Naomi Shihab Nye's writing that feels genuine and effortless, but to imitate it seems impossible. She is accessible and real, like William Stafford, and just like him her writing never seems to get old. There is no pretension here, no waving words for attention. It is all about the human condition, its span of grace and depravity, in its simplest and truest form. It is painfully honest. It gives more than it takes, and some writing, even some poetry, could learn to do that ...more
Richard
Oct 12, 2010 Richard rated it liked it
a small book of poetry by Naomi Shihab Nye. I still strive to understand poetry and Nye does write so I can understand (generally). Some of her poems are a bit dark, but understandable. I did like her poems and will try more of hers if I can find them. I checked this book out of the Provo library while visiting Margaret.
Fred Kirchner
Nov 17, 2008 Fred Kirchner is currently reading it
I don't read poetry books in a sequential fashion. I tend to flip around and see what I can find. I did very much like the short prose poem about when she started writing. It references Dick and Jane books. Nye loathed them.
I also never finish a book of poetry. Even if I read every poem more than once.
Bridgett
Every time I read poems by Naomi Shihab Nye I am transported to a place where sadnesses are not avoided or denied, but looked at with a fierce curiosity and honesty. Having just finished this book of poetry, I find myself hopeful, but it is a strange hope in a strange world.
Gary Anderson
Jul 26, 2010 Gary Anderson rated it it was amazing
Naomi Shihab Nye effortlessly blends political and spiritual viewpoints with details and observations of daily life. She finds the common ground between San Antonio, Palestine, and wherever you are.

This collection will generate a range of emotions from its readers.
Poets.org from the Academy of American Poets
Prepare for the 2010 Poets Forum in New York City (October 28-30) by reading Nye's newest book of poetry, and check out the Poets Forum 2010 bookshelf for the latest collections by each of the poets participating in the Poets Forum. Happy reading!
Josh
Apr 29, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Vivid singularity of time and place gives way to a simultaneously gentle and fierce pathos.
SouthWestZippy
Mar 07, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I could relate to some poems in this book. Very good collection.
rinabeana
Jan 06, 2008 rinabeana rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
As always, I'm blown away by Nye. She is incredibly gifted.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Jun 27, 2016 Wetdryvac Wetdryvac rated it it was amazing
A bit of all over the place, but in a good way.
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rachel Thompson
Rachel Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
warren santoro
warren santoro marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Tory
Tory rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Melita
Melita is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Angela Tucker
Angela Tucker marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Nusaiba
Nusaiba is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Renae
Renae added it
Mar 28, 2016
Tracie
Tracie rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Ella
Ella rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Mika Jay
Mika Jay rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Making Certain It Goes On: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo
  • One Secret Thing
  • Song
  • The Venus Hottentot: Poems
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the Acad
More about Naomi Shihab Nye...

“We walked where the ancient pier juts into the sea.
Stood on the rim of the pool, by the circle
of black boulders. No one saw we were there
and everyone who had ever been there
stood silently in air.

Where else do we ever have to go, and why?”
4 likes