Start by marking “The Parisian Christmas Bake Off” as Want to Read:
The Parisian Christmas Bake Off

The Parisian Christmas Bake Off

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Welcome to the most celebrated patisserie competition in Paris – ready, steady, bake!
Watching snowflakes settle on the Eiffel Tower, Rachel Smithson’s cosy English village feels very far way – as, thankfully, does her commitment-phobic ex, probably already kissing someone else under the mistletoe. But Rachel hasn’t come to Paris to mope she’s come to bake. Hard.

Because the
Published October 23rd 2013 by Carina UK (first published October 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Parisian Christmas Bake Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parisian Christmas Bake Off

Kim
Nov 10, 2013 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, kindle
This was a really lovely book. Rachel goes to Paris over Christmas nursing a bruised heart , to take part in a Bake Off competition. Her mum used to run a bakery in her home town - so she grew up with certain traditions and recipes.

There is a bit of back stabbing amongst the other contestant even though they socialise, after the days spent in the kitchen. All the way through- you are willing Rachel to reach the final.

She is staying in a very basic room at the top of a lovely house- and the lady
Claire Robinson
4 Stars.

This book made me hungry…. It was a feast for my eyes and imagination, in its descriptions of all the food and the locations, and characters therein.

So what have we got, well if you add a dash of The Great British Bake Off (but in Paris), a drizzle of cantankerous chef (picture Gordon Ramsay with a French accent), a sprinkling of characters (all with their own unique personalities), a pinch of mischief, and mix it all up with Christmas and Twinkly lights. Then bake on a low temperature f
Sophie (Blogger)
The first thing that draw me to The Parisian Christmas Bake-Off was the front cover with its Christmas theme I fell in love with it and then again once I read the blurb. Rachel works in a school teaching children but she dreams of baking to her hearts content. Growing up with her mother who owned a bakery put becoming a baker in her blood but Rachel doesn't know if she has it in her anymore.
Even though Rachel may not have the confidence in herself, her friends, colleagues and family know that s
Emily
I loved this book, every single little thing about it. It is laugh out loud funny, emotional and has a gorgeous leading man! I felt as though I was in Paris at Christmas, sampling all the wonderful food brought to life in front of my eyes. In fact, the only bad thing I would say about this book is - it made me want CAKE!! mmmmm!! A truly lovely and heart warming Christmas read. 5 big fat mint infused stars!
Fiona - Fiona's Book Reviews
This was a lovely story to read. Such a breath of fresh air in a world of adult fiction I've been reading lately!

Rachel Smithson is working as a teacher, but her true love is baking, although she has lost some of that love along the way. Her pupils, friends and fellow teachers know she needs a push, so they sign her up to take part in a competition to find an apprentice for a famous chef in Paris.

Against her better judgement Rachel goes to Paris, finding herself in a small flat which is nowhere
Cora Linn
Well, that was a quick read!

This book is pretty much what it says on the tin and if you're looking for baking-chick-lit then look no further! And it's a perfect Christmas or anti-Christmas read.

This book had me smiling and my stomach rumbling. The descriptions of all of that food was almost too much for this usually healthy reader and it was so difficult not to reach for a mince pie or macaroons or hot wine... Mmmm.

This book is enjoyable and a little light and fluffy and just what I needed to ge
Rachel Cotterill
What's not to love about a tale of Christmassy baking, with a sprinkle of sadness and growing self-confidence? In The Parisian Christmas Bake Off, young teacher Rachel is set up by friends who send her to Paris during the Christmas break to compete for a patisserie apprenticeship. A perfect and charming Christmas story.
Hayley
On the sofa two cats, a Persian Blue and a Siamese, had wound themselves over the arms like matching cushions.

Despite being in public at the time, when I read this sentence I pulled a series of weird faces, put my kindle down, then let out a snort of laughter. And not in a good way. I still can't decide whether this simile was a failed attempt at irony or just a jarring mistake, because of course it would be difficult to pick two cat breeds that are less matching than these. But lord knows I'm n
Leah
Everyone knows that The Great British Bake Off is one of the most popular shows on tv – everyone watches it, although I admit I do not. Mostly because my work schedule means I can never keep up with a show like that, it’s the same reason I don’t watch the X Factor. I can see why it’s popular though cos everyone loves a baked product! So when I was offered the chance to review The Parisian Christmas Bake Off, I jumped at the chance because I really liked the sound of it, and I read it immediately ...more
Jane
There are no big surprises with The Parisian Christmas Bake-Off. You’ll go in expecting a book about baking set in Paris at Christmas, and that’s exactly what you’ll get. And that’s fine, because this book is not setting out to take anyone by surprise or to subvert any genre expectations. It’s a light hearted, warm story about a young woman who goes to Paris to bake.

Rachel, working as a teacher and settling for the occasional visit from her commitment phobic musician boyfriend, is getting on wit
Ananda
*Copy provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

OH FOOD! GLORIOUS FOOD! This book is yummy indeed! I know Christmas is long gone, but I'm one of those that can read Christmassy books all year round.

It's a typical feel-good read and quite a short one, so I'm sure you'll devour it in one sitting. The story is fun too, it's centered around Rachel and her trip to Paris for a cooking competition. It was not her idea to go to Paris, since recently she lost her mother and goi
Rea Sinfield
I was really excited to start The Parisian Christmas Bake Off, I love Christmas themed books and I also love books that feature baking but I was also a little worried as I have never watched The Great British Bake off so I wasn’t sure if this was going to be a problem but lucky for me it didn’t effect reading this book at all in fact if you have never watched a cooking program in your life it doesn’t matter you will still enjoy this one.

Rachel is feeling down and thanks to everyone back home the
Danielle
3.5 stars.

A very sweet Christmas contemporary. It’s a short, easy read about a school teacher who enters an elite baking competition, only to reconnect with her past and the real reason for the season.

Because it’s quite short, I did feel like the romance was rushed. It was acknowledged in the text, even, and I appreciated that, but I was still left with the feeling that the hero uprooted his whole life for a woman he’d known less than a month.

The actual baking contest was also a bit undefined.
Marina
The original review is posted here:

“You are going to Paris.

I’m not going to Paris.

Yeah, you are. To bake with Henri Salernes.”

Rachel loves to cook. She doesn’t have many things in her life, but she has friends that love her very much. So, they sign her up for Paris’s next patisserie apprentice. She travels to Paris to prove herself that she is a star baker. And Henri Salernes is not nice guy at all. Among professional cooks, who step over other people to a
Kate Beeden
The Parisian Christmas Bake Off is a sweet story in every sense. Rachel is entered into a Bake Off competition being run by famous Parisian chef Henri Salernes by her work colleagues. Somewhat reluctantly, she goes, unsure of what to expect from Paris or the competition. Rachel and her fellow contestants become engrossed in the experience, throwing their heart and soul into their baking. But of course, in the city of love romance is also on the cards...

I really enjoyed The Parisian Christmas Ba
Julia Ibbotson
The combination of cooking, a bake-off competition, Paris and Christmas was irresistible! I really enjoyed this book. A quick, lovely read for Christmas, especially when snuggled down under a lap duvet with a hot-water bottle and a glass of hot lemon and manuka honey (I read it in the throes of a nasty flu-y cold!). Rachel was a believable and sympathetic protagonist and the other characters were well-drawn too (well done, Jenny Oliver, to achieve this in such a short narrative!): the ghastly bo ...more
Dawn
I had an e-copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review. I loved the sound of the book and it didn't disappoint. What a lovely read. The only problem with this book is the desire to dash out and buy cakes. I could feel myself gaining weight with every page turn.

She's working as a teacher, a job she enjoys and hasn't baked since her mum died. It was a shared passion and she can't bring herself to do it alone. Her friends have other ideas though and send her off to Paris to ent
Marie
Thank you for allowing me to review this book for you.
Well for me this book does what it says on the cover - Xmas Paris baking! Thats exactly what i got.
This is the story of Rachel, a young lady with a waste of psace boyfriend who gets the oppurtunity to go to Paris just before xmas to work with the renowned chef Henri. Rachel feels forced to go and goes in with a heavy heart, not feeling very confident or really bothered about being there.
Slowly things start to change - she meets Chantal - a g
Lindsay
With gorgeous descriptions of Paris, Christmas, copious amounts of delicious baking that'll make your mouth water, and lots and lots of snow - what more could you ask for from a Christmas novel!

Rachel's set up by her friends to take part in the apprenticeship competition and from the first morning Chef Salernes has her card marked. He's a bit of a tyrant - very Gordon Ramsey-esque with some cutting put downs! A bit of a cross between The Great British Bake Off and Masterchef there are no huge su
LadyTechie
I really am enjoying this hiatus into contemporary romance. The Parisian Christmas Bake Off was no exception. It was a good story and is helping me through my bit of reading block. Whenever I cannot find something to read out of literally thousands of books I own that means I am a bit blocked. I do not review books during this time because it is unfair to the author because when I am not in this mood I am better in touch with what I think about a book.
Rhiannon
Short and sweet
Angel
I loved this book. Next Christmas, when I decide to abandon my family and spend Christmas in Paris, this book will be partly to blame.

Really nice story about a woman moving past her grief and finally figuring out what she wants out of life. And there's a bit of a romance. Mostly though, loved the Paris setting and the description of all the delicious foods she was making.

More elaborate review here: http://amh-reviews.blogspot.com/2013/...
Susan
What a great read. So good I read it in a day!
BJ
I enjoyed this read. I loved the descriptions of the baked goods. The main character was likeable and the story itself was just enjoyable. Why wouldn't someone who liked to bake, want to go to Paris to compete for a chance to be an apprentice to a famous baker?
Ashley
Cute, fluffy, quick read. Annoyed me that they called macarons "macaroons", but that is just nitpicking on my part.
Irene
Okay, so this wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I expected a nice little cozy christmassy read, but it sure lacked some christmas spirit. I found myself confused while reading this novel; too many characters were introduced seeing as this book was only a 139 pages long.
Gypsyinpearls
I so enjoyed this book! What a great little holiday escape. The author had my senses tuned in even though I have never had half of these dishes. Such a great little novel with humor, light romance, a fun young woman, and of course pastries!
Angela
At first I thought this couldn't possibly compare to Jenny Colgan's Cupcake Cafe series, but I was surprised that it was really good. Not quite on par with Jenny when came to baking but overall a great story with lots of heart.
Leigh Mitchell
Loved this book, good story especially since I was hooked on watching Great British Bake Off. A word of warning though, you will get hungry reading about all these lovely baked goodies. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • Christmas at the Gingerbread Cafe (The Gingerbread Cafe, #1)
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • Just For Christmas
  • Doubting Abbey (Doubting Abbey, #1)
  • Christmas Carol
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Last Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Christmas at Claridge's
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • From Scotland With Love (Short Story)
  • The Language of Spells
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Christmas at the Beach Cafe
Jenny Oliver wrote her first book on holiday when she was ten years old. Illustrated with cut-out supermodels from her sister’s Vogue, it was an epic, sweeping love story not so loosely based on Dynasty.
Since then Jenny has gone on to get an English degree, a Masters, and a job in publishing that’s taught her what it takes to write a novel (without the help of the supermodels). She wrote The Pari
More about Jenny Oliver...
The Vintage Summer Wedding The Little Christmas Kitchen Poole Was My Oyster: My Life in Poole 1903-1964