Start by marking “The Memory Tree” as Want to Read:
The Memory Tree

The Memory Tree

A beautiful and heartfelt story about the death of a loved one and the memories that comfort those left behind.
Published October 3rd 2013 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Tree

Reetta Saine
Uskomattoman kauniisti kuvitettu upea teos kuolemasta, surusta ja niistä selviämisestä.

Erityisesti kaikille kirjastolaisille, koska suru-kirjoja kysytään paljon, ja uskonnottomia on vielä aika vähän. Ihan mielettömän lohduttava ja kaunis.
Nick Cox
Jan 14, 2015 Nick Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My wife borrowed this from the library where she works just before Christmas break because our daughter loves her fox toy. When we discovered it was about death, grieving and acceptance it made the perfect read to explain about my grandmother's recent death, and we made a memory tree of our own out of paper, which the whole family contributed to.
Markku Kesti
Feb 02, 2015 Markku Kesti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yst-vyys, kuolema, muistot
Kolmisen mollukkaa plus yksi lisää siitä, että uskonto oli jätetty sivuun ja keskitytty suruun ja sen työstämiseen. Tässä on taas yksi juttutyyppi joita tarvitaan lisää.

Kettu tuntee voimiensa hiipuvan ja asettuu kuolemaan kuten Aragorn Sormusten herrassa ja sitten jälkeenjääneet pitävät muistosymposiumia ja jokaisella on joku hyvä muisto ketusta.

"Hiljaisuudessa sana,
pimeässä valo,
kuolemassa elämä:
huikea kuin haukan lento
taivaan autiudessa."[LeGuin]
Berna Labourdette
Jun 30, 2016 Berna Labourdette rated it really liked it
Un bello libro álbum que narra la muerte de un pequeño zorro y cómo resuena esto en todos sus amigos del bosque. Plantea de manera poética que quienes mueren viven en los recuerdos de las personas que los quisieron y compartieron con ellas y por lo mismo, da para conversar sobre el tema de la muerte, el duelo y la memoria de quienes se quedan, con niños.
Keris
Joe really loved this one. It's about the death of a friend and how it's nice to remember the happy times and , yes, it's very similar to Always & Forever by Debi Gliori and Alan Durant, but the illustrations are simpler and very sweet (plus the facial expressions on some of the animals made us both laugh out loud).
Jessica Bird
Nov 13, 2015 Jessica Bird rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, friendship, death
This is a fantastic and moving book which deals with the topic of death, a very difficult topic to approach with children in school. It shows how you can celebrate the life of someone who has passed on and if you keep their memories alive, they will always live in in your heart.
Sarri
Mar 15, 2015 Sarri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Kaunis kirja pois nukkuneesta ketusta ja metsäneläinten muisteloista heidän rakkaasta ystävästään. Täti liikuttui.
The Bookworms' Village
The Memory Tree is beautiful. Is about a fox that dies peacefully, and how the other animals come and pay tributes and then snow covers the ground, and finally a tree grows... It is unusual even for books about bereavement, especially for children, to portray the actual death. This one does. Which I find touching and reassuring for a child whose imagination may be running wild with monsters.
Beth
Oct 09, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
A gentle, comforting story about how we remember our loved ones after they're gone.
Megan
The Memory Tree is a great book. Death is not incidental. It is the subject of the story and the main character Fox, dies right at the outset. Britta Teckentrup's words say he 'fell asleep forever'. Fox's friends gather. They sit in silence but after a while, share recollections of happy times with their good friend. In the place where Fox lies blanketed by snow, a small orange plant shoots, which eventually becomes a huge tree supporting new life in the forest and the memory of Fox remains. A ...more
Hailey White
This book is about death. While I loved and understood the meaning (the fox dies, animals are sad, fox gets buried in snow, tree grows where fox was, happy memories), it was very confusing to my children. It's almost as if the sweet metaphor made the concept more confusing. Illustrations are lovely.
Becca Edwards
Feb 07, 2016 Becca Edwards rated it it was amazing
This book deals with loss in such a lovely, heartwarming way. Although sad, it shows how rather than reflecting on the sadness, to remember and treasure the happy memories. Whether a child has experienced loss or not, I think this book would be brilliant to have in the classroom, and I'm sure would inspire some really thoughtful and interesting discussions!
Becky B
Old Fox dies and the rest of the animals gather to remember him together. As they relate fond memories of Fox, a tree grows to help them remember.

A gentle book dealing with a hard topic for any age group. Could help some children open up about losses they experience, but it's always good to remember that everyone grieves differently.
Javad Jj
Apr 17, 2015 Javad Jj rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been wondering how to describe "Death" to little kids around the same age as mine (5)?
this book might be of some help. I've found the author beautifully describes "Death" without even naming it.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Jul 04, 2015 Michelle (FabBookReviews) rated it really liked it

A lovely and moving picture book about the death of a beloved fox and how fond memories keep him alive in the hearts of his friends. Beautifully and softly told, with gorgeous illustrations.
Arjan de Vette
Dec 12, 2013 Arjan de Vette rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. Made me tear up. And it is so nice to read it to my young son while remembering the death and passing of my father.
Shawn
Oct 05, 2014 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, especially the illustrations. It would be a good book for helping to explain remembrance and celebration of life.
Elisa
Feb 24, 2015 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Onpa kauniisti toteutettu ja lohdullinen tarina, jonka avulla on mahdollista käsitellä ja pohtia läheisen kuolemaa pienenkin kanssa.
Jami Fournier
May 19, 2016 Jami Fournier rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book on death and the grieving process and how memories through the art of story keep our passed loved ones with us always.
Melanie
Mar 21, 2016 Melanie rated it liked it
This is an interesting story. For myself i do not much like it, but I am curious about how well it would help a child cope with the loss of a loved one. Beautiful illustrations ♡
Brodie McGovern
If you ever need a book to share about memories of those we love whom have past, this is a delightful story to give. Loved this book.
Clare Cannon
Clare Cannon rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Liana Grace
Liana Grace rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Jennifer Leduc
Jennifer Leduc rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Clemen_t_ine
Clemen_t_ine rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Westcoast_girl
Westcoast_girl rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Joelle
Joelle rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Viola
Viola rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Becky Miller
Becky Miller rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.
More about Britta Teckentrup...