Start by marking “Reaching Out to the Youth of the World” as Want to Read:
Reaching Out to the Youth of the World

Reaching Out to the Youth of the World

The comprehensive, self-help guide for youth in 349 pages, to help lives & heal the world. Youth are our future. This is a humanitarian & non-profit project. Hard copies, ebooks and Kindle are sold at cost to cover web-hosting, payment gateways, web maintenance etc. Malay edition has sold out. Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Tamil & Indonesian editions are underway, more ...more
Unknown Binding, 349 pages
Published April 1999 by Caxton Press (first published December 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Reaching Out to the Youth of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaching Out to the Youth of the World

Stephen Tan
Apr 12, 2015 Stephen Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This has the ultimate goal of gifting books to schools in Africa & the Third World. A free ebook is available online. Malay edition sold out. In the pipeline are the Indian Hindi & Indonesian editions, to be followed by more languages. www.bookfortheworld.com is a non-profit ebook, $7.99 to cover admin, web-hosting and related costs only. This is to help and heal the world starting at the roots. Our Youth are our future.
Dennis Nalt
Feb 09, 2014 Dennis Nalt rated it it was amazing
Being a rebellious teenager in high school meant that reading was not on my top to-do list. I remember my mother always encouraging me to read this book, but without much success, because I found it more fun playing on my play-station or watching the latest videos on MTV.

One day she placed this book in my room in hopes that I would read it, needless to say, I threw it straight out of my sight. Years went by and our family was moving house when I discovered that same book, but this time I wanted
Daphne
Jul 20, 2015 Daphne rated it it was amazing
REACHING OUT TO THE YOUTH OF THIS WORLD

This book has given me many new and interesting insights to life. It gives me new knowledge from a factual and personal point of view and makes me think a lot more as sometimes factual information is boring but if you put it in a personal experience, it becomes alive.

One of my favourite chapter of this book is Chapter 53- empowering others. This has taught me that if I want to change something, it has to start with me - a compliment, an apology, a smile. I
Aliza Ng
Mar 16, 2014 Aliza Ng rated it really liked it
I read the earlier Malaysian edition: Inspiration to the Youth of the World, years ago. 100 chapters in all. On hindsight, the Book has instilled confidence and courage in me. I exited from some sort of a cocoon. It gave me a fresher outlook on life. Gone were traces of timidity and persimism. I learned to drive a car some 15 years after most people and started my travels. Now I'm a different person I was a decade ago.
If we were to evaluate this as we would a book manuscript, I would rate it as
Tiffany
Apr 24, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
The writing is clear and well-organised. This makes the key points easily understood. The book is remarkably comprehensive, complete with interesting and meaningful quotes at the end of each chapter. The author also puts in effort to relate to readers by sharing memory of his own experiences. Some may find the use of motherhood statements lacking in insight, but the author tries to prevent that by supporting them with statistics, examples from all over the world and his own practical tips. There ...more
Pichachu
Feb 21, 2016 Pichachu rated it it was amazing
There is great content in the book. There were good suggested strategies to help individual be happy and positive. However, the layout could be improved with more illustrations and 'fun' fonts for more easy read.

Read the book a second time and fell in love with Chapter 12: Self Knowledge vs Self Image. Some of the phrases that caught my eyes: "Many millionaires were born poor; multimillionaire and harsh-reality spurred people to success when their problems became opportunities and their frustra
Susie Williams
Apr 04, 2015 Susie Williams rated it it was amazing
Whenever I concentrated on the text, it became easy to read and understand. I like the explanations, the reasoning behind most of his suggestions.

Over the years some of my friends were skeptical about mental and spiritual power, but in this book, it gives real-life experiences and makes a compelling case.

The Highlight for me in this book is the merging of the spiritual, physical, mental abilities that embraces the environmental creations that is portrayed from within the writings.

THE ESSENCE OF
Eddie Schuster
Feb 21, 2014 Eddie Schuster rated it really liked it
We found many beautiful chapters with touching, memorable lines and quotes from various sources of wisdom. One of our favourites among the one hundred chapters is Chapter 16: Love, kindness, generosity and forgiveness. 'Love begins at home and should flow into our workplace and neighbourhood.' 'If you give without expecting to receive, you put the world and even God in your debt.' The Chapter ends with a quote from Mother Teresa: 'We can cure physical diseases with medicines but the only cure ...more
Pemerina9
Apr 01, 2015 Pemerina9 rated it really liked it
As in the Book I reviewed earlier, my favourite chapters are: 97 More Morality less Misery, and Chapter 1 Why are we on earth? In Chapter 97, my memorable line is: "History has revealed us as atomic giants and ethical dwarfs." He said we are wiser and more intelligent than animals, still we use guns and bombs to settle differences. He quoted Martin Luther King: "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation, the foundation of such a method is ...more
Joellefangyahoo.Com.Sg
Jul 11, 2016 Joellefangyahoo.Com.Sg rated it it was amazing
1st impression: too thick and heavy reading.
No lighthearted illustration and breaks, with thick 100 chapters.
Should be in 5 books.
May not attract youngsters immediately unless they start reading few chapters than the real value is felt & gained.
Many parts are very candid and original,with personal experiences; those add to the quality of the book, eg: The Author, his brother and friends in an open boat up a Borneo river, met with heavy downpour and started drumming picnic utensil, singing an
J. Williams
Mar 26, 2014 J. Williams rated it liked it
i have read this book and have been really inspired with the contents of this book, i know that this will definitely assist young people to understand how important they are in terms of their own lives.
I know that this book will definitely encourage them to excel and to be happy in their lives thank you very much Mr Stephen Tan for writing this book it has inspired me a lot in terms of how important i am to try and help myself and others to cope through problems that we are experiencing in life.
Shirley Wong
Feb 21, 2014 Shirley Wong rated it really liked it
The Book is in many chapters, 100 in all. It is full of information knowledge and skills. My father recommended to me. It was the Malaysian edition. It took me a long time to get interested and I finally started reading. It really motivated me and boosted my confidence and sense of well-being. My favourite chapters are: Seeing and finding Good everywhere. Burning Desire. Our Miraculous subconsious, Enthusiasm, Luck, etc...too many chapters to mention. I strongly recommend this to young people ...more
Shelly Ee
Mar 10, 2014 Shelly Ee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Friends who have kids
Recommended to Shelly by: Friends

This book is too heavy reading for primary school children, particularly in non-English speaking communities. I doubt they can grasp the meaning conveyed. Nonetheless I strongly recommend this to secondary school students from age 12 upwards. If they have the patience to cover all the chapters, they will find valuable insights and tools that can be life-changing. Situations encountered in the Book are real life ones, so are the skills to tackle problems which are also real and universal.

Shelly
David Bong
Jun 18, 2015 David Bong rated it really liked it
To those who are already practicing to live life joyfully, stephen’s book will add another illuminating perspective to that knowledge. Take his chapter on colours , for instance, it reminds me to pay more attention to the world around me - it helps me slow down and makes me more conscious of not just the colours i see but what i feel when i look at them. A highly recommended read: it will open our mind to the magic, beauty and the happy road maps of life
Alan Rossiter
Apr 21, 2015 Alan Rossiter rated it it was amazing
I have just read this book in seven days I did not find it to heavy to read I am very lucky to have always been able to speed read or group words together to read quickly. I think this book has a lot to offer to all people. Maybe if it had some pictures, photos it might break it down and make it easier for people who maybe have difficulty reading it.
My favorite chapter was Peaceful heart Quiet mind winning spirit.
I have now sent it to my 15 year old nephew in Australia.
Sato
Jul 18, 2014 Sato rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with a hundred chapters of profound wisdom. It might sound like a burden to read a hundred chapters but I assure you it is nothing short of engaging. The marvelous gems found in this book will make you a happier person. It imparts timeless virtues and skills that would help change your life for the better. I would highly recommend this book for growing youths and young maturing adults.
James Doery
May 23, 2014 James Doery rated it it was amazing
What a unique gem this little book is!!
This volume is a most incredible collection of annotated wisdom drawn together in such an accessible readable style.
Whether one reads it from cover to cover, accesses the appropriate chapter to address a specific immediate need, or simply open randomly and 'take up and read' like St Augustine did to his enlightenment many centuries ago, a rich treasure trove of condensed wisdom from across the centuries awaits you.
Tony
Apr 20, 2014 Tony rated it liked it
It gives people a different view of the world, what i keep thinking about is why can't everyone get along; the money wasted on wars & defence could be used to help so many.
There are so many different examples that the author provides and anyone can relate to them, everyone will walk away with something useful or have a different set of views on whatever subject is close to them at the time of reading.
I can pick up the book abd open any page and start reading, it is that useful.
Stephen Cropp
Apr 19, 2015 Stephen Cropp rated it really liked it
After reading this Book of 100 chapters and whenever I reflect on the atrocities in the world today, especially in Syria, Iraq, Libya, Gaza and Ukraine, I become deeply touched by how badly the world needs a heart of kindness, understanding and love. Everyone is my brother and sister, yet look at the bloodshed. Therefore, I strongly recommend this book to kids and youngsters around the world. The world needs You - the leaders of a better world tomorrow.
Dr. John
Mar 23, 2014 Dr. John rated it it was amazing
A must read for all ages. This book is an inspiration for all but especially those who have children. We can all learn much about the youth of the world and how to motivate them to become a success in all aspects in life. Each chapter is chock full of things that everyone needs to better understand youth and how to reach out to them. Buy one copy and buy several for each member of your family and for all of your friends. This book is a GREAT gift for all.
Iwan Sgh
Dec 29, 2013 Iwan Sgh rated it liked it
There are good and bad about this book.
Pros: 349 pages of ideas and skills. Value for money with so much offered. Will have good influence on readers and children.
Cons: Much is run-of-the mill, self-help stuff, although there are original, exotic material.
Also too heavy reading with 100 chapters jammed together, can be exhausting unless you take your time leisurely.
Overall. I would recommend this to youngsters.
Peter
Jul 17, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
With the wars raging all over the world I feel that this book has a place in society. This is a book that is a real gem to everyone and a must read book for the youth, especially the first chapter of why we are on earth. My Father has also read the book and is very grateful to the author Stephen Tan for writing such a great book for future generations.
Pritam
Apr 25, 2015 Pritam rated it really liked it
Excellent read, I really enjoyed Chapter 40 about "Drive", it has taught me action is motivation. This was funny but powerful. So many books go in great lengths about motivation and here is a very effective short cut and of course we have to weigh the pros and cons before we take action. The book has taught me a number of life skills.
Puong Shu
Jul 28, 2015 Puong Shu rated it really liked it
I love the Action is Motivation in chapter 40 and how opportunities are everywhere, eg in chapter 38 people catches grasshopper and breed mealworms in commercial quantities to sell to pet owners.
It was a great book to pick up and read at anytime, i did it while travelling around US and Canada for a month.
Darren
Apr 04, 2015 Darren rated it really liked it
Too thick & heavy reading, exhausting. But on hindsight it is real value-for-money with 100 solid chapters. Even mental attitude, mind power, affirmation, visualization, 'The Secret' are all in there! I have not seen any other book that intends to improve lives and help the world starting with the children & youth, so this is commendable.

Darren.
Glenn H
Apr 01, 2015 Glenn H rated it really liked it
Pages too dense, a thick book, no pictures, hard to read. For some countries 2 languages mirror each other would be good. May not attract youngsters in a big way and parents would do well to buy this for children and secure their healthy and happy future. This is very valuable, there are endless pages of self-help tools for growing teens. Glenn, Surabaya Indonesia
Tony Tizzard
Jul 25, 2016 Tony Tizzard rated it really liked it
A passionate and compassionate author has outlined in this book his desire to make positive changes for good in all youth around the world.
Our future rests with these young people and Stephen Tan has produced a book that will have a very positive influence with them.
Why don't you get this into the hands of all the young people you know? This is an extremely worthwhile book.
Eugene Kok
Jul 21, 2014 Eugene Kok rated it it was amazing
This book will touch you from the heart, if you feel what can we do to make the world a better place? Or seek for inspirations to have a better life and to recharge our weary and tired soul in this fast pace world. This book is for you.

Chocked full of advise, stories and inspiring quotes. For the price less than $8, this book will change your life.
Michelle Falelua
Apr 11, 2015 Michelle Falelua rated it really liked it
The book came in the right time for me. My dad passed away 4 years ago, and we struggle a bit.I like chapter 72, a fresh view, optimism, it has given me encouragement and strength to me .Now I have graduated and have a steady job.Mum is taking courses, thank you to Mr Stephen Tan for writing this book.it is so helpful to me and my family.
Margaret Ng
Jun 10, 2015 Margaret Ng rated it it was amazing
I resisted reading this book because it looked heavy and 'dry' stuff, but each time I picked it up I found many things meaningful and useful. Intermittent reading. Then it gradually got better! Finally finished, in a few months. It's only 4 stars but decided to give 5 for the amount of work the author put in, in one hundred chapters. Recommended reading for all youth.
A Canadian graduate with joint majors in Economics & Psychology. Past members of Malaysian, British and NZ institutes of management. 40 years of management and marketing experience. Read approximately a thousand non-fiction books. Traveled 26 countries. Passionate about helping and healing this troubled world and knowing youth are our future. Resides in New Zealand.
More about Stephen W.K. Tan...