Start by marking “Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television/Belle Poitrine/as told to” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Back in print at last! From the author of Auntie Mame: the bawdy, bestselling, bountifully illustrated autobiography of an imaginary diva whose life is one hilarious mishap after another.

For Belle Poitrine, née Mayble Schlumpfert, all the world's a stage and she's the most important player on it. At once coy and coercive, with a name that means "beautiful bosom" in French,
Published October 15th 2002 by Broadway Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Little Me, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

A nutcake parody of star bios, the book's whipped cream comes from the spankingly whacked (and staged) photographs of Milady's ribald life. ~ Have a laugh reading some GR reviews that take it "seriously" as an Anything. One Poopy said felt he needed to be disinfected after reading. Here's a better idea : Kill yourself. ~~ Belle Poitrine's life rivals that of Libby Holman's, only the Libby story isnt nutcake. It's a banquet of creamy desserts. And it's true. Warble away, Libby !
This was a classic of its time, yet it's largely forgotten today. It's the purported autobiography of stage and screen star Belle Poitrine, "as told to Patrick Dennis": a tongue-in-cheek sendup of star autobiographies, with hilarious photographs by Cris Alexander, featuring model and actress Jeri Archer as Belle, Dennis himself as her second husband Cedric, and even cameos by actresses Rosalind Russell and Peggy Cass. The tone is spot-on perfect, as Belle narrates her rise to fame, with five hus ...more
Oct 17, 2007 Tosh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Smart New Yorkers via the 50's
This is a weird great book. Patrick Dennis (Auntie Mame) wrote the text, pretending it's a memoir by a faded actress. Also illustrated by photos that are totally faked. It's basically Patrick Dennis and buddies posing as characters, etc. It's hysterical!
Rupert Smith
This spoof autobiography of the ‘great star of stage, screen and television’ Belle Poitrine is another of my ‘funniest books ever written’, and I read a chapter or two whenever I’m in need of cheering up. Dennis (real name Edward Everett Tanner III) was the writer who gave the world Auntie Mame, which is very charming and sweet – but this is much better. He captures perfectly the delusional egocentricity that’s endemic in show business and the arts (and Facebook): when I was a journalist, interv ...more
One of the funniest books I've ever read! Campy, gay, and delusional; could easily be called the many misadventures of Lady Derp!
Steve Kluger
I didn't so much finish this novel as give up on it.

"Little Me" is the fictional autobiography of Belle Poitrine--a self-titled movie star of the early to mid-20th Century who regards herelf as one of the great actresses of all time. In fact, she's a talentless liar, thief, call girl, and murderer who cheats her way to the top through blackmail and other similarly savory means means.

This novel is commonly regarded as Patrick Dennis's best non-Auntie Mame piece of fiction--so much so that they ev
Martinis and bikinis

Devo ammetterlo, entrare nello spirito di Povera piccina non è stato per nulla semplice. Come la stragrande maggioranza dei lettori mi sono avvicinato a questo libro dopo l'esperienza di Zia Mame e forse ingenuamente mi aspettavo un personaggio simile. Niente di più errato. Belle Poitrine, la finta semi-diva protagonista di questa finta autobiografia è semmai la nemesi della poderosa Mame. Col senno di poi posso dire di esserne enormemente felice, perché Patrick Dennis ci h
Caro Patrick Dennis,

In genere, quando scrivo le recensioni in questo formato, stanno per arrivare valanghe di critiche e di lamentele ai poveri destinatari. In genere, perché Lei è il milionesimo clien... volevo dire perché questa, per una volta tanto, sarà una lettera positiva.
Onestamente, io un po' La compatisco. Il suo personaggio più amato - l'unico - è Zia Mame, che è noto Lei odiasse per il suo fastidioso vizietto di inglobare tutta la Sua carriera letteraria con la sua stravaganza. A dir
Carl Kleinebecker
SO.... OK so I LOVE Patrick Dennis and his quirky sense of humor and writing style, but... this book... MEH not so much... at first it was kind of fun... was a little creeped out by the very YOUNG Belle Poitrine being victimized by not only her mother but the letches (no pun intended read the bood and you will get the pun :) )... then there was the fact that Belle was living in a world where she was completely clueless as to how the world worked... or how she worked in it... at first it was "cut ...more
Margherita Dolcevita
I romanzi di Patrick Dennis hanno un solo incredibile macroscopico difetto: sono RIPETITIVI!!! Cioè partono: beeeeelliiii, ahahahah, divertenti, fantastici!!! Proseguono: ihihihi, carina questa, eheheh forte dai. Verso la fine: ma 'sta cosa non l'aveva già raccontata? Ma è ancora viva sta vecchiaccia? Così era "Zia Mame", così è "Povera piccina", che se vogliamo ha anche un altro difetto: l'abuso dei doppi sensi e la finta innocenza della protagonista, che ricorda in alcune sue sparate la Sally ...more
Sherwood Smith
This is such a peculiar book. I first saw it in my parents' bedroom, not long after it came out. Dad was hiding it, so of course we had to peek at it, and the "naughty" photos absolutely riveted us--just because they were naughty. But the story made no sense.

I stumbled on a copy in a used book store decades later, and the first couple of pages made me laugh out loud--it was a sendup of star memoirs, probably of Gypsy Rose Lee's autobiography, which I think came out around then.

The joke very soo
I read this book in its original hardbound 1961 version, sneaked from my parents library. It took me a long time (at 12 or so) to understand that it was a FUNNY book, because I was way more interested in the naughty pictures than picking up subtext... Written by the author of "Auntie Mame," the book purports to be the memoir of a fictional "innocent" named Belle Poitrine (didn't realize at the time that that meant "Nice Bustline" in french) led into a life of adventure by a series of untrustwort ...more
Brilliant, ageless parody of the bombshell lifestyle. How many Belle Poitrine types have come and gone from the public eye since this book was published? It's pretty amazing how fresh the humor is because the famous for being famous archetype has never gone away.

Rant time: I always felt Jeri Archer, the actress who portrays the Poitrine family in the photographs, deserved a credit of her own for this book. She's a genius, and if you read the fine print most of the costumes she wore were from he
Cydni Perkins
It took me a couple chapters to understand the author's humor, but once I got it the book became hilarious. It's a satirical imitation of self-reverential celebrity memoirs, and Belle Poitrine is the most unreliable narrator ever. I'm probably used to books being straightforward and having the story handed to me, so I had to sort of learn to read between the lines -- it was worth it. Others who are quicker on the uptake will probably do better than I. Anyway, the story is shocking and amusing, a ...more
finta biografia (con corredo fotografico) dell'ascesa di un'attricetta senza qualità che da uno sperduto paese dell'illinois arriva a conquistare londra e los angeles- tramite colpi di fortuna e contatti con gli uomini giusti. esilarante, soprattutto all'inizio, la finta aria ingenua della protagonista belle poitrine (vacua e presuntuosa) che riesce a distruggere qualsiasi cosa su cui metta le mani ma che si salva comunque. meno spumeggiante di zia mame, ma fa sorridere amaro.
[edizione delizios
Lontano anni luce da zia Mame! Non mi ha strappato nemmeno un sorrisino: questa Belle è proprio una sfigata di prima categoria e gli unici lavori che trova hanno sempre a che fare con il mettere in mostra il proprio corpo,Mammina mi è stata antipatica fino dall'inizio e la povera Pupina non si sa bene che vita faccia,abbandonata dalla madre in un collegio per inseguire la fama di attrice.
Dal punto di vista della scrittura,ci sono troppe cose non dette che fanno perdere la storia.
Questo libro non
Ann aka Iftcan
I still remember reading this many years later. It was screamingly funny at the time I read it, but then, I had been reading a few other "real" celebrity bio's at that time, and decided that this was, without a doubt the best one I'd ever read. The photographs in the book just provide that little bit of "over the top" camp that was needed to keep this book light and frothy. A really good "beach" read, if you want something that is light, amusing and doesn't really engage the brain cells all that ...more
Brad Geagley
A faux autobiography of a fictitious movie star, this book - along with its posed photos - is a sendup of every
self-serving celebrity biography that has ever ruined a forest. Starting in 1900, when Belle Poitrine - nee Schlumpfert - is born, and ending in 1960
with the chapter "Frankly Forty", this ranks with "Myra Breckinridge" as one of the best satires in fiction.
Barbara Valotto
Allegro e divertente seguito delle avventure di zia Mame. Ideale per qualche ora in spensieratezza!
Another Patrick Dennis brainchild...this one way ahead of it's time. This story also found another successful venue on Broadway in the early 1960s. So funny and still on point with the bizarre lives and exotic memiors of entertainers, both then and now.

Belle Poitrine is a delighful egotist and her life story is a hoot. The photos are hilarious!
Jun 20, 2007 Professor rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: film/broadway fans, the fey
Shelves: personal-library
A very entertaining parody of washed up celebrity tell-alls, complete with very amusing faked photos and innuendo. The book is about as camp as camp can get with more nudges and winks than I could even fish out, not to mention sly references to real stars of the screen and stage.
Tom Ratliff
I have to echo the other reviewers! At first, I thought it was a strange autobiography of an unknown star...but when I started getting into it, I realized it's a spoof of a fictional star, but over the top campy and hilarious! So many laugh out loud moments.
If you read this, you must either read it on an iPad reader, or the original print version. The pictures make this book. I had to put the book down for about 15 minutes after seeing the movie poster for Belle's rendition of "The Scarlet Letter."
Jan 18, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
One of the funniest books I have ever read. Patrick Dennis is sheer genius. This was camp before there was camp. This book was so far ahead of it's time, I can't believe it was published (1955) and was on Broadway in the 60s with Cid Caesar.
I didn't quite "get" this book when I first picked it up at age 14, but over time, I came to understand what it was. Maybe my first clue was learning what "poitrine" means in French.
This book is a riot!!! Camp, camp, and more camp. A delusional journey/romp through the remembering of a silver screen “starlet.” Pictures are worth as much as the story.
campy and a really perfect book for summer, poolside with a cocktail. i'm keeping one star off because i really got irritated at all the quotation marks.
Truly camp and hilarious. I bought this book years ago at a used bookstore from a guy who had read it and thought it was an actual autobiography!
Brilliant, there are many actors who played the characters in the book via photos that were made to make this story more fun and CAMP...
Feb 26, 2007 casetheplace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates satire (with pictures!)
Shelves: favorites, haveread
This is what happens when words and photos collide to tell the fictional autobiography of the world's greatest megalomaniac.
  • Tallulah: My Autobiography
  • Garbo
  • My Way of Life
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • A Girl Like I
  • A Strange Eventful History: The Dramatic Lives of Ellen Terry, Henry Irving and their Remarkable Families
  • Passions Between Women: British Lesbian Culture 1668-1801
  • Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America
  • Pioneer, Go Home!
  • My Blue Notebooks PA: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • The Fabulous Sylvester: The Legend, the Music, the Seventies in San Francisco
  • Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius
  • Dark Lover: The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino
  • Father of the Bride: A Comedy in Three Acts
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • Little Green Man
  • Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter
  • American Moderns: Bohemian New York and the Creation of a New Century
Edward Everett Tanner III spent the last years of his life as a butler, in spite of having been one of the most popular novelists of the 1950s and 1960s. A bisexual, he had a wife and family, but also pursued relationships with men on the side.
More about Patrick Dennis...