Start by marking “Mr Archimedes' Bath” as Want to Read:
Mr Archimedes' Bath

Mr Archimedes' Bath

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  716 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Revisit an age-old theory in a fresh new way. Age 2+ Every time Mr Archimedes has a bath with his friends, the water overflows. Somebody must be putting extra water in the bath. Is it Kangaroo? Or is it Goat or Wombat? Whoever it is, Mr Archimedes is going to find out. Commended, Children's Book Council Book of the Year Awards 1981 Ages 2+ ...more
Published September 20th 1991 by HarperCollins - AU (first published November 27th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Archimedes' Bath, please sign up.

Shelli Archimedes Takes a Bath by Joan M. Lexau, - was done better. Also I enjoyed The Fly on the Ceiling: A Math Myth by Julie Glass, introducing young…moreArchimedes Takes a Bath by Joan M. Lexau, - was done better. Also I enjoyed The Fly on the Ceiling: A Math Myth by Julie Glass, introducing young readers to Rene Descartes. (less)

Jamie
Dec 31, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
When reading this to a small group of children, some of them enjoyed this, others thought it just silly and a couple thought it to be on the lame side. So a very mixed reaction.

Those that liked it got a kick out of Mr Archimedes trying to figure out what was happening with the bath water. One child kept laughing because the man is naked (and if you do not want your children seeing a naked cartoon guy avoid this book) and sent the kids on some giggle fits. Others were bored with the repetition. T
Elma Branigan
Apr 29, 2013 Elma Branigan rated it liked it
Mr Archimedes’ Bath by Pamela Allen

Mr Archimedes’ bath is always overflowing and he is left to tidy up the mess. But he cannot figure out who is causing the bath to overflow. He accuses Kangaroo, Goat and Wombat of overflowing the bath but then he realises that they are not causing the problem. They all take turn in getting in and out of the bath, making the water go up and down. Finally they realise that it is Mr Archimedes who is causing the bath to overflow. In the end, everyone jumps into th
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Apr 19, 2009 Jack Kirby and the X-man rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jack Kirby and the X-man by: Babyshower
This book is a great introduction to the world of science for a young child.

It is inspired by the story of the original "Eureka" moment, when Archimedes stepped into the bath - the displacement of the water gave him the idea of how to solve a problem for the king.

In this picture book version the problem is that that the bath keeps overflowing. Who is causing the problem - is it the goat, the kangaroo, the wombat or Mr Archimedes himself? The Eureka moment is that Mr Archimedes discovers (throug
Tara Calaby
Sep 29, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
It's been so long since I read this that I can't really remember the details.
Michelle McBeth
Sep 20, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was ok
At first, this book seems sensible. The bath keeps overflowing and Mr. Archimedes wants to know why. So he measures the water before taking a bath. Then he has one animal at a time get out of the bath to see who is causing the overflow. He remeasures the water each time.

But pretty quickly we are introduced to Mr. Archimedes' very gross naked backside. I could not think of one reason why this was necessary for this story. And why was he taking his bath will all of his animals? The math lesson of
Deanna
Mar 02, 2010 Deanna rated it did not like it
Shelves: science
Good for the very basic principle discovered by Archimedes regarding buoyancy. Very basic. I wouldn't let my kids look at the book while I read it however because Mr. Archimedes was naked jumping in and out of the bathtub with his kangaroo and other other animal friends. I can't begin to express how absurd this is to me.
Shelli
May 06, 2015 Shelli rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is an odd introduction to Archimede’s discovery about water displacement. It was just o.k. for me. I don’t think young readers will understand the concept since they will be too focused on giggling at the naked weirdo jumping in and out of the tub.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jun 27, 2014 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001

Every day it’s the same story: Mr. Archimedes, the goat, the kangaroo, and wombat climb into the bathtub and the water spills over the tub. Mr. Archimedes is determined to get to the heart of the problem. Funny little take on an old story.

D.peabody
May 20, 2015 D.peabody rated it it was amazing
This is a old book now but still a great yarn. And where does that water come from?? A great science lesson within a picture book.
Best_books
Jan 21, 2014 Best_books rated it it was amazing
Funny book which also helps explain a basic scientific principle. Made even more enjoyable for adult reader and child listener when the animal characters overflowing the bath are given different voices/accents ... Hours of fun!
Kettlestitch Press
May 18, 2014 Kettlestitch Press rated it really liked it
A superb exploration of scientific principle for two-year-olds.
Heidi
Aug 06, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute story, introduction to volume and liquid measurement.
Janine
A fun way to introduce a science principle.
Mckinley
Nov 13, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
He bathes with a bunch of Australian animals.
Emkoshka
Jan 10, 2014 Emkoshka rated it did not like it
I have the vague feeling that I learnt about Archimedes and his 'Eureka!' moment as a child from reading this book. Bathtime was never the same again! As an adult, this book strikes me as somewhat perverse. Blobby wobbly naked old man jumps in and out of the bath with a kangaroo, wombat and goat. And yes, there's plenty of backside nudity. Sorry, but I found it gross.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I'm all for making science fun and accessible and understandable but this book was silly. I also had no appreciation for the 'whose fault is it?!?' accusatory tone of the book.

p.s. I seriously doubt Archimedes ever came across a wombat, never mind shared a bath with one.
Linda
I'm considering NOT reading this to my inquisitive kids... in...out...in...out...in....but why deny them a eureka moment of their own? Off now to read it to Connor.

Oh well - C (6) told me what the funny man was doing to the bath water by page 3. The Eureka moment was mine.
Sally
Oct 03, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it
OMG, I remember absolutely loving this one SO MUCH! I'd totally forgotten about it until I just randomly stumbled across it two minutes ago!
Ryan
Sep 23, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Mr archimdes found out that,when the water went up,he was the one who make the water go up and down.
Hope
May 06, 2012 Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children
Water level in the bath going up and down and Mr. Archimedes blaming the animals. Favorite book for children.
Sophie
Jul 30, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A Pamela Allen classic. To be read and re-read by children of all ages.
cy
Sep 29, 2014 cy rated it it was ok
We read this for maths...
Tammy
Dec 01, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Made me laugh out loud.
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
C L Gilbert
C L Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Emkimo
Emkimo rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Harriet Thomas
Harriet Thomas rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
  • Mister Magnolia
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Dirty Bertie
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Wombat Divine
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Edwina the Emu
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Barbapapa
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...