Mr. Archimedes' Bath

Mr. Archimedes' Bath

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Mr. Archimedes' bath always overflowed. He always had to clean up the mess. But where did all the water come from? His friends help him find out.
Published October 1st 1991 by HarperCollins Australia (first published November 27th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Archimedes' Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Archimedes' Bath

Jamie
When reading this to a small group of children, some of them enjoyed this, others thought it just silly and a couple thought it to be on the lame side. So a very mixed reaction.

Those that liked it got a kick out of Mr Archimedes trying to figure out what was happening with the bath water. One child kept laughing because the man is naked (and if you do not want your children seeing a naked cartoon guy avoid this book) and sent the kids on some giggle fits. Others were bored with the repetition. T...more
Elma Branigan
Mr Archimedes’ Bath by Pamela Allen

Mr Archimedes’ bath is always overflowing and he is left to tidy up the mess. But he cannot figure out who is causing the bath to overflow. He accuses Kangaroo, Goat and Wombat of overflowing the bath but then he realises that they are not causing the problem. They all take turn in getting in and out of the bath, making the water go up and down. Finally they realise that it is Mr Archimedes who is causing the bath to overflow. In the end, everyone jumps into th...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book is a great introduction to the world of science for a young child.

It is inspired by the story of the original "Eureka" moment, when Archimedes stepped into the bath - the displacement of the water gave him the idea of how to solve a problem for the king.

In this picture book version the problem is that that the bath keeps overflowing. Who is causing the problem - is it the goat, the kangaroo, the wombat or Mr Archimedes himself? The Eureka moment is that Mr Archimedes discovers (throug...more
Michelle McBeth
At first, this book seems sensible. The bath keeps overflowing and Mr. Archimedes wants to know why. So he measures the water before taking a bath. Then he has one animal at a time get out of the bath to see who is causing the overflow. He remeasures the water each time.

But pretty quickly we are introduced to Mr. Archimedes' very gross naked backside. I could not think of one reason why this was necessary for this story. And why was he taking his bath will all of his animals? The math lesson of...more
Deanna
Good for the very basic principle discovered by Archimedes regarding buoyancy. Very basic. I wouldn't let my kids look at the book while I read it however because Mr. Archimedes was naked jumping in and out of the bathtub with his kangaroo and other other animal friends. I can't begin to express how absurd this is to me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Every day it’s the same story: Mr. Archimedes, the goat, the kangaroo, and wombat climb into the bathtub and the water spills over the tub. Mr. Archimedes is determined to get to the heart of the problem. Funny little take on an old story.

Best_books
Funny book which also helps explain a basic scientific principle. Made even more enjoyable for adult reader and child listener when the animal characters overflowing the bath are given different voices/accents ... Hours of fun!
Kettlestitch Press
A superb exploration of scientific principle for two-year-olds.
Emkoshka
I have the vague feeling that I learnt about Archimedes and his 'Eureka!' moment as a child from reading this book. Bathtime was never the same again! As an adult, this book strikes me as somewhat perverse. Blobby wobbly naked old man jumps in and out of the bath with a kangaroo, wombat and goat. And yes, there's plenty of backside nudity. Sorry, but I found it gross.
Linda
I'm considering NOT reading this to my inquisitive kids... in...out...in...out...in....but why deny them a eureka moment of their own? Off now to read it to Connor.

Oh well - C (6) told me what the funny man was doing to the bath water by page 3. The Eureka moment was mine.
Sally
OMG, I remember absolutely loving this one SO MUCH! I'd totally forgotten about it until I just randomly stumbled across it two minutes ago!
Ryan
Mr archimdes found out that,when the water went up,he was the one who make the water go up and down.
Hope
Water level in the bath going up and down and Mr. Archimedes blaming the animals. Favorite book for children.
Sophie
A Pamela Allen classic. To be read and re-read by children of all ages.
cy
We read this for maths...
Tammy
Made me laugh out loud.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Mashal
Mashal marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • Mister Magnolia
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Avocado Baby
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Window
  • Ten In The Den
  • Wombat Stew
  • Wombat Divine
  • Gorilla
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Up in the Tree
  • Slinky Malinki
  • I Know a Rhino
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...
Who Sank the Boat? Belinda Mr McGee Mr Mcgee And The Biting Flea (Picture Puffins) Alexander's Outing