Start by marking “New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)” as Want to Read:
New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)

New Spring (The Wheel of Time 0)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  51,388 Ratings  ·  1,108 Reviews
The city of Canluum lies close to the scarred and desolate wastes of the Blight, a walled haven from the dangers away to the north, and a refuge from the ill works of those who serve the Dark One. Or so it is said.

The city that greets Al’Lan Mandragoran, exiled king of Malkier and the finest swordsman of his generation, is instead one that is rife with rumour and the whisp
Published December 2nd 2004 by Orbit (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Spring, please sign up.

Angela If you read this first it will just be a short book about young people beginning some kind of life changing journey. But you won't understand why it…moreIf you read this first it will just be a short book about young people beginning some kind of life changing journey. But you won't understand why it matters. If you save it for last it will make you ugly-cry because you will understand what it all means.(less)
Aaron Toponce Not really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other…moreNot really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other hand has a very robust magic system balanced well with politics, conflict, and world development.

Another large difference between the authors, is their attitudes towards sex. George R. R. Martin is a dirty old man, writing in graphic detail about the female anatomy and monthly cycles, pedophilia, necrophilia, whoredoms, rape, and incest. Robert Jordan, however, keeps the sex tasteful. While lesbians ("pillow friends") are in the book, the most graphic it gets is a kiss, knowing one is naked without description, or "folding her arms under her breasts".

While both are high fantasies, they're very different in execution.(less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
This book gave me FEELINGS . . .

description

. . . few of them good.

For the first time in a WoT reread, I found myself absolutely hating the content.

HATING.

The only reason NEW SPRING didn't get one-starred is b/c there are more than a few poignant Lan moments. But without those . . . *flares nostrils*

The first problem is that the front half to two-thirds of the book is slow as molasses.

Noooooothiiiiiing haaaaaappennnnns.

Well, okay, something happens--Gitara, the same Aes Sedai who sent Tigraine to the
Ryan
Oct 29, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
Sometimes I feel like reading fantasy is just a waste of time. If nothing else, the themes are often distressingly adolescent and no matter how many times I read about slaying dragons, it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever slay a dragon in real life.

Perhaps, for me, the real attraction that sword & sorcery offers is an escape into a world of imagination. It sounds like a corny movie trailer (I'm sure everyone can hear the movie trailer voice when reading "esCApe... into a worlld ... of imagiNA
Phrynne
Sep 11, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved the entire Wheel of Time series so it was fun to read the prequel to the whole affair. I really enjoyed finding out how Moiraine and Lan met and how he became her warder. I also liked all the information about the White Tower and the Aes Sedai. There is nothing in this book that you have to know before enjoying the rest of the series but it is a nice little piece of background information. Loved the ending - it almost made me go and pick up Book 1 to read again.
Robin (Bridge Four)
1.5 I’m Sorry To Do This Stars

description

Okay hear me out….I totally admit the Robert Jordan has a fantastic and complex world full of intricately detailed world building with cultures, religions and landscaping. But if it takes 60% for your books to go anywhere and you destroy beloved characters along the way I’m totally going to have a problem.

So this is supposed to be an origin story or a prequel to the Wheel of Time series set a little less than 20 years before Eye of the World. The problem with preque
Evgeny
Mar 06, 2014 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot of this book can be summarized in the following two sentences. Moiraine and Siuan Sanche learn a great secret while still being Accepted in the White Tower. Moiraine meets Lan. There are much more than these events in the prequel and some more familiar faces appear than the ones I already mentioned.

I gave this book 5 stars initially, but I was sure I would lower the rating to 4 stars after I read this tale for the second time. To my complete surprise I realized that is still worth 5 sta
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
aPriL does feral sometimes
Prequel 'New Spring', a short book written after book ten in the 'Wheel of Time' series, is the story of how Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche became Aes Sedai. It also relates how Lan Mandragoran met Moiraine. It explains why they decided to find the 'Dragon Reborn.' I have finished the entire series, and I can say reading this book out of order will not hurt a reader's enjoyment of the main series at all. It does fill in some history. However, the reader will not find this novel as exciting a ...more
Angie
Feb 02, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read at least the first few books of the WoT series
Dawn
Nov 01, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
I'm writing my review after having read this book for the third time. This was the first time I read it before reading any of the other books in the series (I couldn't wait until January, I had to start getting my WoT on now, so I'm doing a complete re-read).

I just have to say... I feels so good to hop back into this world. This isn't my favorite of the series by far, but I feel like it's a great addition nonetheless. For new readers you should definitely save this until later in the series eve
Scott  Hitchcock
There are no beginnings or endings in the wheel of time but this is an ending. The prequel was the only book I hadn't read (listened to). It was enjoyable. Kramer and Reading are just two of the best narrators out there. The book itself while classic wheel of time was disappointing. There wasn't anything new of note and the first 60% was all white tower not Moraine and Lan off figuring out things about the Dragon.

If you're a WOT fan, and I am but see it's many flaws keeping it from being the GO
Alex Ristea
May 17, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel wasn't about what I thought it was going to be, but it managed to be a fun read.

My favourite part was seeing Moiraine and Siuan in their younger years, acting as only children can. A perfect contrast to the stern Aes Sedai we've come to love.

I'm not sure how important the events in this book were to the overall series, but for character development I give it an A+.

Eduarda
Aug 13, 2015 Eduarda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro com POV da Moiraine? Não tem como ser ruim!
Depois desse livro passei a gostar ainda mais da Ajah Azul. Agora não tenho mais dúvida sobre qual Ajah eu seria.
E que venha o The Fires of Heaven! Torcendo pra que a Moiraine apareça mais. Senti falta dela no TSR.
Claudia
Aug 24, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this, lets say, prelude made me give it 5 stars, I'm really anxious to see what's hidden in the next 14 volumes...
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 07, 2016 Maria Dimitrova rated it really liked it
Buddy Read with the WoT fans of BB&B.

This is a hard book to review. It's recommended to read this book after Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight because it gives to much spoilers otherwise. It's what I did and the fact that I read it after reading 10 books of the series has coloured the way I look at things. In a way this scratches an itch I didn't even know about, because it gives a look at life in the White Tower. It's fascinating and depressing at the same time. Depressing because
New Spring is technically a prequel to the Wheel of Time series (it's about events that occurred approximately 20 years before The Eye of the World) but I was advised to read it after book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, to avoid accidental spoilers. I'm not sure there were any major spoilers hidden in here but it definitely gives you an idea about which of the Aes Sedai can and can't be trusted so I can see why I was told to hold off on reading it until this point in the series.

I'm really torn abou
Matt Brady
When Memory of Light, the long awaited final volume of The Wheel of Time series, twenty years or more in the making, was finally released earlier this year it obviously grabbed my attention. It’s been a good long time since I’d been truly invested in this series, and my enthusiasm for it had long since waned. I hadn’t read any Wheel of Time since Jordan’s last novel before his untimely death and Brandon Sanderson was brought in to finish the series. I didn’t quit or anything like that, I just dr ...more
Pedro António
Jan 10, 2013 Pedro António rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2013-read
Decided to wait until I was done with Towers of Midnight before picking this one up and... on one hand I'm glad I waited this long to finally read the prequel, but on the other I guess I expected more than I ended up being given.

It was really nice to see so many characters I've come to known and love/hate in their earlier years, but that ended up backfiring as I feel like a lot more could've been done with the vast majority of them given how long the novel actually is. Once the novelty factor is
Paul
Dec 20, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
I am rereading the Wheel of Time series one last time in preparation for the last book (I'm way behind). I decided to start with New Spring, the prequel, and read in straight chronological order.

I did not like the book as much as I remembered, mainly because Lan is an IDIOT. Jordan's worst features as a writer, to me, were his persistent "battle of the sexes" bullshit, where nearly all women are shrews convinced that all men are idiots; and his horrific caricature artificial cultures. Fortunatel
Mike Coville
Feb 06, 2016 Mike Coville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice telling of the back story of Lan and Moiraine. After having read all 14 WoT books, and experiencing the sadness of knowing it was all over, it was fun to see these characters enjoying life again. I would recommend this for anyone that has read the WoT series.
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
This review stands for the entire Wheel of Time series. Note that this prequel deserves to be read approximately in order of release, as one is reading the orginal series, so as not to provide any spoilers.

The Wheel of Time appears to be in good hands with Brandon Sanderson penning the last Book (in three parts) of Robert Jordan's epic.

Although I have been reading these books for as long as I have been reading Katherine Kerr's Deverry novels, and will be reading them at least until 2012 when the
Stacey
May 13, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a big fan of Robert Jordan. I've read New Spring before and I'll likely read it again. It's the prequel to the Wheel of Time series. Honestly, it doesn't add anything to the plot of the series. It's more a character piece of Moiraine and her Warder, Lan.

One of the things I really enjoy about Jordan is the rich background in which he's chosen to set his world. Reading the series there's always the sense that what has happened in the character's pasts has an effect on what they are doing in th
Al
Jun 17, 2016 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, loved it! Moiraine and Lan are such excellent characters. I wish there were an entire book about Lan's life (Sanderson pls!). Was good to switch gears for about a week, but now back to Rand and company. :)
Djordje Mladenović
Apr 26, 2016 Djordje Mladenović rated it it was amazing
Napisana tako da te uvuče u svet Točka. Mislim da će za mene ovo biti jedno predivno putovanje. :) Jer Točak tka kako Točak želi...
Emerson
Dec 15, 2016 Emerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
New Spring se passa durante o final da Guerra dos Aiel, cerca de 20 anos antes deO Olho do Mundo. O livro mostra Moiraine e Siuan como aceitas enquanto estudavam na Torre Branca para se tornarem Aes Sedai. Mesmo quando aceitas, as duas já haviam iniciado a busca pela criança profetizada, o Dragão Renascido. O livro também trás alguns capítulos sobre Lan, futuro guardião de Moiraine.

Essaprequelme agradou bastante. O livro nos trás bastante informação sobre as Aes Sedai e aTorre Branca, nos mostra
Dux
Aug 14, 2015 Dux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
“Change what you can if it needs
changing, but learn to live with what you can’t change.”

I wonder if the reason why I enjoyed this book as much as I did was because I read it right after the dreadful 9th and 10th books in the series that it must have made me feel refreshed. The amount of emotions and proportions of entertainment in these sole 350 pages exceed anything in books 9 and 10 combined. I LAUGHED! I felt EXCITEMENT! AMUSEMENT! CURIOUSITY! SUSPICION AND SUSPENSE! SINCE WHEN WERE THESE E
Kris
Jun 25, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I have a confession to make - I didn't read this in the correct order. New Spring is part of Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series; it's a prequel that takes place about 20 years before the events of the first book in the series. New Spring was written originally as a novella, published in an anthology of new works written by several masters of the fantasy genre. The anthology came out between books 8 and 9 of the "Wheel of Time" series; Jordan later expanded the novella into a full novel, which came ...more
Skip
May 23, 2008 Skip rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
Stuart Aken
Oct 29, 2010 Stuart Aken rated it it was ok
• New Spring (A wheel of Time Novel) by Robert Jordan.
323 pps. 26 chaps. 130,000 words
Fantasy with the unusual feature that the major characters are women, members of a sect with abilities drawn from a central bank of power. There is the hint of romance, but only a hint. Some battle scenes, but these are minimal. The major thread of story revolves around the development of powers by the two main female characters who are, surprisingly, both beautiful. Many of the secondary characters have featur
Chariti King Canny
Dec 23, 2010 Chariti King Canny rated it really liked it
This series is brilliant. There is just the right balance of fantastical detail and speed of reading. The way the author writes, as I get more and more involved in the story, the more plausible everything seems... the perfect fantasy novel. There are rare moments where he gets a little too tied up in detailing the scene environment, but overall, this is an excellent story.
He does follow the story formula, which probably is what adds to the simplicity and readability of the storyline. However, t
Shane Harcombe
Jul 07, 2015 Shane Harcombe rated it really liked it
I am returning to the world of 'The Wheel of Time' after a self-enforced absence of more than 10 years. I started the series as an 18 yo and read through the first 6 or 7 novels before becoming impatient with waiting for each new book to be published and vowed not to read any more until the entire series was published (little did I know how George RR Martin would test me later!).

Book 14 was published a couple of years ago now, and I finally decided to start re-reading the series. I thought this
Robert Jordan's:T...: When to read New Spring 15 320 Jul 30, 2016 07:39PM
Shut Up & Read: Wheel of Time Series 45 45 Jan 13, 2015 04:18PM
Fantasy Book Club...: NEW SPRING - Finished **SPOILERS** 17 61 Feb 14, 2013 06:16PM
Fantasy Book Club...: NEW SPRING - Planning to Read? First Impressions **NO SPOILERS** 8 34 Nov 29, 2012 06:33AM
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • Dust of Dreams (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Legends
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.” 182 likes
“The only way was forward, whatever lay at the end.” 20 likes