Start by marking “Stein House” as Want to Read:
Stein House

Stein House

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"

After three long months at sea, Helga Heinrich and her four children sail into the thriving Indianola seaport on the Texas coast in 1853 to begin their new life. They are determined to overcome the memory and haunting legacy of Max, her husband and their papa, who drowned in a drunken leap from the dock as their ship pulled away from the German port.

Helga is anxious to b

Published October 18th 2013 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Stein House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stein House

Gerry Dee
Mar 27, 2014 Gerry Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one interested in historical fiction. Especially Texans. Especially my sister Susan
Recommended to Gerry by: Goodreads
Excited to begin this historical fiction about Texas, hurricanes, the Civil War and Reconstruction. I won this from Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

3/22 /2014 - after the first chapter I excitedly invited my husband to share this book with me. It has been a long time since I read aloud to him. The last book was "Cold Mountain". Even though reading aloud slows me down we are both enjoying the tale, the characters and the setting of this book.

3/26/2014 - This reading out loud is not working for me.
Denis A.
Stein House by Myra Hargrave McIlvain is a story about early settlement in Western Texas during the period of the American Civil War and Reconstruction (1853-1886). The reader follows the German immigrant family of Helga Heinrich, her two daughters, two sons as they arrive at Indianola, a city that is beginning to sprawl out and attract business ventures. Helga runs Stein House, a boarding house for travelers that stay on for various lengths of time.

The author says in her acknowledgement that t
Earl Russell
Historical Fiction That Teaches

Set in the period 1853 to 1886 in the former town of Indianola on the Texas Gulf Coast, this book tells a fascinating tale of German immigrants and how they adapted to a difficult new life. They confront slavery on Day One, live through the turmoil leading up to the Civil War, suffer great losses during the war, survive reconstruction, and bravely forge new lives. That is, those who survived.

Characters are vividly presented, and their stories of struggle and trium
Raymond
I saw "The Stowe" house when I lived in Brunswick, Maine in the late 50's but I was surprised that Harriet Beacher's novel was portrayed as being so popularly read in the Gulf Coast of Texas as supposed in this novel. I enjoyed the narrative nonfiction story of the Galveston tragedy by Erik Larson much more than this concocted story about the ghost town on Matagorda Bay.
They are correct about corn bread mixed in cold buttermilk, delicious and my favorite!
Sherry
Amazing.

I really, really loved this book. Thanks so much, Ms. McIlvain for writing it. It was fun to see names of towns and places I have known all my life. I was born in Corpus Christi and now live close to Galveston so all this history was taking place right here where I live.

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I always love historical fiction so was happy to be able to read and review this book. It kept me interested from the first page. It is hard to believe how hard it was for familie
Paula
I enjoyed this book. I believe times were very hard back then. Communication, medicine could have helped a lot. I think it would have been very difficult to live thru the Civil War! Especially, living in the south and not believing in slavery! Losing members of your family happened quite often between war and sickness, and even childbirth.
Wendy
I did not like this book. I did like aspects of the book, but ultimately, I felt like this book missed its calling.

Summary: A german family moves to a gulf coast town in Texas in 1853. They live through a turbulent time in history, including diseases, hurricanes, and a civil war. The family struggles through good times and bad up to the year 1886.

This book has all the sappiness of a twilight book. The characters are excessively good people with one flaw assigned to each of them, sometimes a ve

Patricia
Feb 24, 2014 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every adult
**I won this book from Goodreads First Reads Giveaway**

I really enjoyed this book..Myra Hargrave Mcilvain did a great job describing the characters and the town they lived in. Family tragedy at the beginning and the trials and tribulations of a family working very hard just to survive. Reading how lives changed and interacted with one another made this an enjoyable and sometimes sad read. If you like fictional history, you will like this book.

Thanks Goodreads!!
Jan Polep
Interesting early frontier historical fiction, beginning in 1853, as 2 German sisters and kids reunite on the Texas coast. Boarding house living and a lot of hard work by good people...as they work to create a town, survive yellow fever/Civil War/Reconstruction and super bad weather. Let's just say the body count climbs as the years mount up. Leaves you wondering if you would have been strong enough to survive or would have left on the next train/boat out.
Allmythidi
***I won this book from Goodreads First Reads Giveaway***
I would rate this 4.25 - 4.5 stars. If you enjoy historical fiction, this book is for you. The author kept a wonderful balance/blend of history & storyline. I loved her characters. Just wonderful. You really get to know everyone. Towards the end I would have liked to have read a tad less of dinner conversations and a little more about Helga's travel to San Antonio. This book was an absolute pleasure to read.
PAUL VAUGHN
Interesting Peek into Texas History

I liked the Gulf Coast setting of this story. The family that ran Stein House was likable, and the Stein House residents were all so different. I especially liked the Captain and Joseph. The characters weather Civil War, Reconstruction, financial crises, and storms. A bit too much exposition makes the dialogue sound a bit stilted at times; else I'd have rated this well researched book higher. Also, my Kindle edition was linked to Wikipedia in Arabic, which I do
Vera Wiatt
A story of strength and perseverance...

I'm always amazed by stories of immigrants to our country. What hardships and losses they faced! I enjoyed reading this saga of a family who were an important part of the thriving town of Indianola on the Texas coast. I could almost hear the wind howling as they endured the storms that racked the town and threatened to destroy their dreams. This book does a good job of combining fact and fiction and producing lovable characters. A fast, easy read.
Kate
I received a copy of this book from Kirkus Reviews. Stein House is a historical fiction novel set in Western Texas during the American Civil War and Reconstruction era. Originally, I thought this book was non-fiction, so at first I was a little disappointed. Yet, I thought this book was a very engrossing read. I think this book has great appeal to those who enjoy both nonfiction and historical fiction books.
Martha L. Holland
STEIN HOUSE

I just finished reading Stein House by Myra Hargrave McIlvain. This is an excellent, well written novel. I will read it again in about a year.

Alice
A quick read. Interesting characters. I enjoyed this title.
Theresa
Interesting Texas history
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Julie Castleberry
Julie Castleberry marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 23, 2015
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • Don't Pass Me By
  • My Lost Cuba
  • Goodbye, Dearest Holly
  • Amontillado
  • The Quiet Room
  • Escaping into the Night
  • Murder in the Rockies
  • The Trials of Caste (Paladin of a Hidden God, #1)
  • A Fine September Morning
  • A Hint of Light
  • The House on Beartown Road: A Memoir of Learning and Forgetting
  • Shadowboxing
  • William Henry is a Fine Name
  • Zen and Xander Undone
  • Leave of Absence
  • A Farm Dies Once a Year
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Mother of Rain
Myra Hargrave McIlvainbegan her publishing career as a storyteller with a family humor column she wrote for the Victoria Advocate while she was raising her children. After a move to Austin, she authored historical markers that travelers see along Texas highways, and she wrote three books about Texas’ famous and infamous historical sites in her Texas Auto Trails series for the University of Texas P ...more
More about Myra Hargrave McIlvain...
Legacy Texas Auto Trails: The Southeast Shadows on the Land: An Anthology of Texas Historical Marker Stories Texas Auto Trails: The Northeast Six Central Texas Auto Tours

“Both slaves had been oiled until their flesh shined like polished ebony, outlining every detail of their muscles.” 2 likes