Start by marking “Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12” as Want to Read:
Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Do you spend your days working with students who struggle to comprehend reading in literacy and content classes? Are you looking for a way to establish comprehensive literacy instruction in your school or classroom so all students receive support in becoming competent and confident readers?

In Yellow Brick Roads, Janet Allen offers research-based methods for helping teacher...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Brick Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Brick Roads

The First Days of School by Harry K. WongThe Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
137th out of 388 books — 337 voters
Yellow Brick Roads by Janet AllenThe Reading Zone by Nancie AtwellReaders Front and Center by Dorothy BarnhouseNotice and Note by Kylene BeersThe Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy McCormick Calkins
Reading Rocks
1st out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Erin Hitzfield
I liked this, but didn't get as much from it as I had hoped I would. Could be because I have binged on so many literacy/teaching books this summer...
Miss Leacock
Jul 06, 2010 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
"I well remember beginning my teaching career and wishing for a wizard who would show me how to teach." Funny, that's where I've found myself in the last month.

A few pages later..."there is no wizard who can solve the problems. We will have to get off the road and create our own paths to literacy." What I am finally discovering...
Sara
More valuable for assessment tools than the ideas inside-- however, my opinion may be jaded because some of these reading books are so similar! The book is still helpful- it just has some overlap to other literacy/reading tomes.
LOVE THIS BOOK! It is packed with effective, practiced strategies for working with reluctant and struggling adolescent readers. Highly recommend this for any teacher teaching middle or high school level reading.
Joe Wood
A nice look at literacy in the classroom. For those who are new to the concept of balanced literacy in a secondary English-Language Arts class, this book is a great introduction.
Lisa Nimz
I was hoping this would give me new ideas for guided reading, but it didn't. I think it's too old. But, I did get some good short story recommendations from it.
Jeanne
I just read Chapter 8 today. Many of these are good ideas, but without a separate reading class, I just don't see where I could find the time.
LB
I was hoping for a fresh infusion of guided reading ideas. Didn't happen, but I did get a good list of short story collections.
alexandra stumpf

Amazing ideas about expanding independent reading into independent literacy exploration.
Nadine Voth
A plethora of ideas and strategies for teaching reading to older, struggling students.
Kathy
Excellent book with practical ideas for setting up a reading/writing workshop.
Alise
Wonderful book...good for any teacher old or new...
Stephanie
SO GREAT! Holy cow - food for thought. I'm stuffed.
Ryan Saunders
Excellent guide for reading teachers. Lots of great info.
maria
professional reading
Mrs. Drury
Excellent resource.
Christiane
Christiane marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Shanay Oseafiana
Shanay Oseafiana marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Denise Tabscott
Denise Tabscott marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Leann
Leann marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jessica Baldwin
Jessica Baldwin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12 Inside Words Tools for Teaching Content Literacy Read-Aloud Anthology: 35 Short, Riveting Read Alouds It's Never Too Late: Leading Adolescents to Lifelong Literacy