Start by marking “Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12” as Want to Read:
Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  217 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Do you spend your days working with students who struggle to comprehend reading in literacy and content classes? Are you looking for a way to establish comprehensive literacy instruction in your school or classroom so all students receive support in becoming competent and confident readers?

In Yellow Brick Roads, Janet Allen offers research-based methods for helping teacher
Published January 1st 2000 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Brick Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Brick Roads

Susan
Jul 06, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read
"I well remember beginning my teaching career and wishing for a wizard who would show me how to teach." Funny, that's where I've found myself in the last month.

A few pages later..."there is no wizard who can solve the problems. We will have to get off the road and create our own paths to literacy." What I am finally discovering...
Sara
Jun 07, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
More valuable for assessment tools than the ideas inside-- however, my opinion may be jaded because some of these reading books are so similar! The book is still helpful- it just has some overlap to other literacy/reading tomes.
Apr 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK! It is packed with effective, practiced strategies for working with reluctant and struggling adolescent readers. Highly recommend this for any teacher teaching middle or high school level reading.
Lisa Nimz
Aug 17, 2009 Lisa Nimz rated it liked it
Shelves: education
I was hoping this would give me new ideas for guided reading, but it didn't. I think it's too old. But, I did get some good short story recommendations from it.
Joe Wood
Dec 20, 2010 Joe Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-work
A nice look at literacy in the classroom. For those who are new to the concept of balanced literacy in a secondary English-Language Arts class, this book is a great introduction.
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
SO GREAT! Holy cow - food for thought. I'm stuffed.
LB
Jul 19, 2009 LB rated it liked it
Shelves: education
I was hoping for a fresh infusion of guided reading ideas. Didn't happen, but I did get a good list of short story collections.
maria
Jul 21, 2008 maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
professional reading
Erin Hitzfield
Jun 08, 2014 Erin Hitzfield rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
I liked this, but didn't get as much from it as I had hoped I would. Could be because I have binged on so many literacy/teaching books this summer...
Janie
Jan 25, 2016 Janie rated it liked it
ILLing the title to get a copy to read; got the book, got to read first portion, but returned it without completing
Nadine Voth
Jul 04, 2007 Nadine Voth rated it it was amazing
A plethora of ideas and strategies for teaching reading to older, struggling students.
alexandra stumpf
Aug 17, 2012 alexandra stumpf rated it really liked it

Amazing ideas about expanding independent reading into independent literacy exploration.
Jennifer Drury
Sep 17, 2011 Jennifer Drury rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Excellent resource.
Jeanne
Aug 26, 2008 Jeanne rated it it was ok
I just read Chapter 8 today. Many of these are good ideas, but without a separate reading class, I just don't see where I could find the time.
Kathy
Jul 12, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with practical ideas for setting up a reading/writing workshop.
Jennifer Williams
Jennifer Williams rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Helga
Helga rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2009
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Julianne
Julianne rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Jamila
Jamila rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2010
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
Bobby McDougall
Bobby McDougall rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Galvin
Galvin rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2014
Agnes
Agnes rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Rony Chowdhury
Rony Chowdhury rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
goddess
goddess rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • What a Writer Needs
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • The Fluent Reader
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for