Start by marking “Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12” as Want to Read:
Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
Preview

Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Do you spend your days working with students who struggle to comprehend reading in literacy and content classes? Are you looking for a way to establish comprehensive literacy instruction in your school or classroom so all students receive support in becoming competent and confident readers?

In Yellow Brick Roads, Janet Allen offers research-based methods for helping teacher
Published January 1st 2000 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Brick Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Brick Roads

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
144th out of 408 books — 374 voters
Yellow Brick Roads by Janet AllenThe Reading Zone by Nancie AtwellReaders Front and Center by Dorothy BarnhouseNotice and Note by Kylene BeersThe Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy McCormick Calkins
Reading Rocks
1st out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Erin Hitzfield
I liked this, but didn't get as much from it as I had hoped I would. Could be because I have binged on so many literacy/teaching books this summer...
Miss Leacock
Jul 06, 2010 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
"I well remember beginning my teaching career and wishing for a wizard who would show me how to teach." Funny, that's where I've found myself in the last month.

A few pages later..."there is no wizard who can solve the problems. We will have to get off the road and create our own paths to literacy." What I am finally discovering...
Sara
More valuable for assessment tools than the ideas inside-- however, my opinion may be jaded because some of these reading books are so similar! The book is still helpful- it just has some overlap to other literacy/reading tomes.
LOVE THIS BOOK! It is packed with effective, practiced strategies for working with reluctant and struggling adolescent readers. Highly recommend this for any teacher teaching middle or high school level reading.
Joe Wood
A nice look at literacy in the classroom. For those who are new to the concept of balanced literacy in a secondary English-Language Arts class, this book is a great introduction.
Lisa Nimz
I was hoping this would give me new ideas for guided reading, but it didn't. I think it's too old. But, I did get some good short story recommendations from it.
Jeanne
I just read Chapter 8 today. Many of these are good ideas, but without a separate reading class, I just don't see where I could find the time.
LB
I was hoping for a fresh infusion of guided reading ideas. Didn't happen, but I did get a good list of short story collections.
alexandra stumpf

Amazing ideas about expanding independent reading into independent literacy exploration.
Nadine Voth
A plethora of ideas and strategies for teaching reading to older, struggling students.
Kathy
Excellent book with practical ideas for setting up a reading/writing workshop.
Alise
Wonderful book...good for any teacher old or new...
Stephanie
SO GREAT! Holy cow - food for thought. I'm stuffed.
Ryan Saunders
Excellent guide for reading teachers. Lots of great info.
maria
professional reading
Mrs. Drury
Excellent resource.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Hannah Faires
Hannah Faires marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Elizabeth Drake
Elizabeth Drake marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
RLL 520 Sharonda
RLL 520 Sharonda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
bookSmith
bookSmith marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Declan
Declan marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Bottleupandessplode
Bottleupandessplode marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12 Inside Words Tools for Teaching Content Literacy Read-Aloud Anthology: 35 Short, Riveting Read Alouds It's Never Too Late: Leading Adolescents to Lifelong Literacy