Start by marking “Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12” as Want to Read:
Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Do you spend your days working with students who struggle to comprehend reading in literacy and content classes? Are you looking for a way to establish comprehensive literacy instruction in your school or classroom so all students receive support in becoming competent and confident readers?

In Yellow Brick Roads, Janet Allen offers research-based methods for helping teacher
Published January 1st 2000 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Brick Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Brick Roads

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
150th out of 436 books — 402 voters
Yellow Brick Roads by Janet AllenThe Reading Zone by Nancie AtwellReaders Front and Center by Dorothy BarnhouseNotice and Note by Kylene BeersThe Art of Teaching Reading by Lucy McCormick Calkins
Reading Rocks
1st out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Erin Hitzfield
I liked this, but didn't get as much from it as I had hoped I would. Could be because I have binged on so many literacy/teaching books this summer...
Miss Leacock
Jul 06, 2010 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
"I well remember beginning my teaching career and wishing for a wizard who would show me how to teach." Funny, that's where I've found myself in the last month.

A few pages later..."there is no wizard who can solve the problems. We will have to get off the road and create our own paths to literacy." What I am finally discovering...
Sara
More valuable for assessment tools than the ideas inside-- however, my opinion may be jaded because some of these reading books are so similar! The book is still helpful- it just has some overlap to other literacy/reading tomes.
LOVE THIS BOOK! It is packed with effective, practiced strategies for working with reluctant and struggling adolescent readers. Highly recommend this for any teacher teaching middle or high school level reading.
Joe Wood
A nice look at literacy in the classroom. For those who are new to the concept of balanced literacy in a secondary English-Language Arts class, this book is a great introduction.
Lisa Nimz
I was hoping this would give me new ideas for guided reading, but it didn't. I think it's too old. But, I did get some good short story recommendations from it.
Jeanne
I just read Chapter 8 today. Many of these are good ideas, but without a separate reading class, I just don't see where I could find the time.
LB
I was hoping for a fresh infusion of guided reading ideas. Didn't happen, but I did get a good list of short story collections.
alexandra stumpf

Amazing ideas about expanding independent reading into independent literacy exploration.
Nadine Voth
A plethora of ideas and strategies for teaching reading to older, struggling students.
Kathy
Excellent book with practical ideas for setting up a reading/writing workshop.
Alise
Wonderful book...good for any teacher old or new...
Stephanie
SO GREAT! Holy cow - food for thought. I'm stuffed.
Ryan Saunders
Excellent guide for reading teachers. Lots of great info.
maria
professional reading
Mrs. Drury
Excellent resource.
Michele Picardi
Michele Picardi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Donna Wakefield
Donna Wakefield marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Lauren Thomas
Lauren Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Joey Drury
Joey Drury marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Laura Cassel
Laura Cassel marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Rachel Slager
Rachel Slager marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • What a Writer Needs
  • Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12 Inside Words Tools for Teaching Content Literacy Read-Aloud Anthology: 35 Short, Riveting Read Alouds It's Never Too Late: Leading Adolescents to Lifelong Literacy