Around the World With Auntie Mame

Around the World With Auntie Mame (Auntie Mame #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Encore, Encore! The brilliant sequel to the smash bestseller Auntie Mame is back and the reviews are in . . .
Published September 16th 2003 by Broadway Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World With Auntie Mame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World With Auntie Mame

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4 rollicking stars of five

Oh dear, oh dear, however shall I survive? There is no more Auntie Mame-age available, nor ever shall be, since Dennis is dead these 35 years. The sequel to Auntie Mame appeared in 1958, and was published of the pieces that didn't fit the original frame of "My Most Unforgettable Character." (Remember those? Reader's Digest was such a bland magazine, but those were always fun to read.) This time the frame is Patrick trying to keep his irascible wife Pegeen from k...more
Roberta
Primo libro che ho acquistato per il Kindle, Around the World With Auntie Mame è il seguito del fortunatissimo Auntie Mame. Patrick è ormai cresciuto, e cerca di consolare la moglie Pegeen, preoccupata per la lontananza del figlioletto decenne, sparito due anni e mezzo prima insieme a Zia Mame per un giro all'estero e ora da mesi disperso a tutti gli effetti.

E' così che Patrick racconta alla moglie una versione edulcorata del suo viaggio insieme a Zia Mame, molti anni prima, mentre noi lettori r...more
Susanne
Auntie Mame is back, and she’s ready to get scandalous. In the second volume of Patrick Dennis’ fictional memoir of a boy growing up with his super rich, super elegant, super crazy aunt, the narrator reminisces about his travels with Mame during the 1930s. From Europe to Communist Russia (a brilliantly satirical chapter that was censored from the original 1950s release for being too risky), to the Middle East, Mame travels on a trail of scandalous social engagements, disastrous romance and neck-...more
Wendi
Around the World picks up where Auntie Mame leaves off: With Patrick and Pegeen saying good bye to their son Michael as he joins Auntie Mame in India for what was supposed to be 2 weeks.

Two years later, nearing Christmas, Michael hasn't returned home and the postcards and letters have stopped coming in. Patrick and Pegeen are besides themselves with worry about where in the world Michael is with Auntie Mame and the trouble they are getting into. Pegeen probes Patrick to tell her what happened on...more
Sandy
read this YEARS ago and loved it-doesn't every child want an Auntie Mame?
Judy
Feb 28, 2011 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of humor and history combined

The most interesting thing about the #4 bestseller of 1958 is its publishing history. The original manuscript included a chapter, "Auntie Mame and Mother Russia." which was not in the 1958 edition. Due to the recent Senator McCarthy and his communist witch hunt, Harcourt Brace deemed the chapter too controversial. The missing episode was found years later by the author's widow and finally included in a 1990 reprint.

That leads to the second interesting feature of this book. It is much funnier,...more
Sarah Sammis
The Auntie Mame movie always seemed to be on when I was at my grandmother's house. She was the only one in our family to have cable and she always seemed to have a hundred or more channels. She was also very liberal with what she let me watch. So there was always at least one playing Auntie Mame and another one showing Monty Python's Flying Circus and one more showing Pink Floyd's The Wall. And if it was late at night, usually one channel somewhere was showing 2001. I've seen all of them more ti...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Partendo per l'Oriente col piccolo Michael, Mame aveva promesso di tornare in tempo per la riapertura delle scuole, e qualcuno aveva fatto finta di crederle. Ma sono passati due anni, e della strana coppia nessuna notizia, se non qualche salutino entusiastico sul retro di una cartolina, regolarmente inviata dai luoghi più incantevoli del pianeta. Pegeen è fuori di sé, ma Patrick le dice di non preoccuparsi: zia Mame gira il mondo meglio di chiunque altro. Tu come lo sai, gli chiede Pegeen. Perch

Glimmerfee
Patricks Frau ist vor Sorge um den gemeinsamen Sohn Michael außer sich. Seit über drei Jahren ist Michael mit Tante Mame auf Reisen, dabei hatte sie versprochen das Kind am Labor Day zurückzubringen, nur hatte sie vergessen in welchem Jahr das geschehen sollte.

Dies ist der zweite Roman um die überaus reiche und exzentrische Tante Mame. Patrick wurde als Kind von Tante Mame großgezogen. Er ist mit ihr um die Welt gereist und erinnert sich jetzt an das Jahr 1937 und die verrückten Abenteuer, in d...more
Thais
Ci ho messo tantissimo a leggere questo libro, vuoi perché a tratti i personaggi parlano in un modo difficile da decifrare, vuoi perché all'inizio non mi ha presa molto, ma dopo un po' sono entrata nello spirito del romanzo e me lo sono goduto abbastanza. Auntie Mame è veramente una forza della natura, in grado di cavarsela in qualsiasi circostanza, di creare confusione e poi di uscirne in maniera impeccabile, di mettere in piedi grandi progetti e poi di abbandonarli su due piedi per raggiungere...more
Maria
The adventures of Auntie Mame in the same extravagant fashion although personally I found that they pale in comparison to those in the first book. We visit all corners of the globe and each place now means something different to me thanks to Auntie Mame and Patrick.
Taylor
I love these books and could never say a bad word about them! The second book focuses on Patrick and Mame's travel adventures all over the world. Unlike the first book you see a much shorter period of time, right before WWII and also before Patrick is supposed to begin college. Of course nothing ever goes as planned and Mame and Patrick always manage to get themselves into the craziest of situations. Nevertheless Auntie Mame always escapes with grace and style. I wished this book would never end...more
Carl Kleinebecker
SO.... OH DEAR LORD HOW HAVE I NOT WRITEN A REVIEW FOR THIS... OK... so after LOVING the original... finding out there was a SECOND book.... OMG... of course I had to search for it alas it was not until its re-released in paperback in September 2001 did I find it :). This book like is predecessor is a scathing and mad cap ROMP across the world... I adored this book as much at the first! Anyone who does not like this book (or Auntie Mame" because it is formulaic needs to WAKE UP... THIS IS WHAT T...more
Hol
Dec 21, 2009 Hol added it
In this madcap sequel, Patrick is dragged around Europe (mostly) by madcap Auntie Mame, who goes native in one country after another and then must flee it, which she always does with aplomb (and devastating hats). It was quite hilarious. I am sorry that this was not also made into a movie starring Rosalind Russell, though that might have been difficult, as it is more risqué than the original and features very many changes of scene. My copy was the 1958 original from the library, and I've since l...more
Shana
Patrick's story of growing up with Auntie Mame fills in a missing chapter from the first book -- the tale of their trip to Europe. This book continues in the same vein -- over the top, madcap adventures.

Interesting chapter in here when Mame and Patrick go to the Soviet Union and end up in a commune. Apparently this chapter was not allowed to be published when the book was first published, but they found it and put it in this edition. The book was obviously rewritten (in the 50s) to not include i...more
Rachel
Another book that I would like to give 3.5 stars to. Some parts were quite clever and I was pleasantly struck by the openness of scenes & comments about minor drugs, massive alcohol consumption and premarital sex (let's not forget this was written mid-century). Auntie Mame was no prude! However, I also found the humor style dated in parts. My one word description is "madcap". And I just don't think of madcap as a current humor style that really makes you laugh.
David Szatkowski
Patrick Dennis actually wrote several books, but "Auntie Mame" is by far the most famous today. This is the same narrator, but is a more a series of episodes than the first book. While the humor is quite similar, you can see some differences. If you enjoyed the first, Auntie Mame book, this book is worth reading as well.
Just like the original book, this sequel is madcap, zany, spirited, hilarious, and everything that a wandering romp around the world should be. Mame’s sheer enthusiasm combined with Patrick’s supremely dry observations and the mind-boggling cameos, special guests and random bystanders make for a book that is dizzying, discombobulating and divalicious all at one. A rip roaring good time!
Ffiamma
il personaggio di mame sarà pure caricaturale e le situazioni descritte al limite del grottesco- ma è una discreta lettura d'intrattenimento, che strappa qualche risata e parecchi momenti di leggerezza. certo, il primo libro è esilarante e questo sa di "già visto", però zia e nipote sono davvero una buffa coppia.
Tosh
Why Patrick Dennis's novels are not all in print is a complete mystery to me. One of the great figures and writers from the Island of Manhattan. Superb humor that is almost slapstick but incredibly witty and sometimes bitchy. This is the sequal to Auntie Mame and it is as good as the original. Go for it!
Anne
I LOVED this book! It is a little silly, but that is half the fun!

Although the structure was pretty simple, it was a straightforward, fun time! And who doesn't want to take a peek into New York society from the teens through the forties?

Such a fun, summertime read!
Max Rocca
Veramente un libro interessante e divertente! Ci riporta in un altra epoca, in giro per il mondo con Zia Mame e suo nipote Patrick...Un pò snob la Zia, capace di vivere in modo alternativo ed assolutamente fuori dagli schemi! Consigliato per chi ama viaggiare!!
Lavinia
It's hialrious and funny and sarcastic and simply wonderful, It's a satire of old Europe and Russia and Middle East, but also of Americans who travel abroad. It's light and it had me laughing out loud reading it. My favourite part is the Folies Bergeres play.
Vanessa
OMG why couldn't Auntie Mame have been a series? Everything about her is fabulous, and she always reminds me to fear nothing, and always dive into life head first. Life's short; my motto is, "Hey, if Auntie Mame can do it, why can't I?"
Jim
I wanted to like this more than I did. But I found the twists predictable and the humor less than delightful. Even if I could overlook the racial and sexual stereotyping as of its day, I still don't think this book was worth my time.
Lauren
Except for the fact that it was completely impossible that Mame and Patrick took the Normandie from New York to Europe, the book was good. It isn't as great as the original Auntie Mame book, but it was a fun read.
Davide Floris
Mi è piaciuto veramente molto.
Le avventure di Mame e del nipote Patrick in giro per il mondo sono state una lettura piacevole e divertente. Devo dire che mi dispiace che la "saga" non abbia una continuazione.
Federica
Forse meno brillante rispetto a Zia Mame, ma importa relativamente, perchè fare un viaggio intorno all'Europa (e non solo) in compagnia di quella pazza di Mame è una di quelle occasioni da non perdere!
Julia
Seriously such an enjoyable book. It transports you across the decades through the lens of popculture and the best is that Mame Dennis is the most fantastically eccentric character i've ever read. Love it.
Marianna Beadles
The book equivelent of a shot of amphetimines. Slightly lurid (by 1958 standards, at least) and extremely funny. This book (as well as the preceeding Auntie Mame book) makes regular life seem dull dull dull.
aunt mame 2 7 Dec 06, 2012 06:48AM
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Life with Father
  • Seventeen
  • Doctor Who: Made Of Steel
  • Red Sky at Morning
  • Auntie Mame
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • Blood
Auntie Mame (An Irreverent Escapade) The Joyous Season Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television/Belle Poitrine/as told to Genius Paradise