Start by marking “When Dinosaurs Go to School” as Want to Read:
When Dinosaurs Go to School

When Dinosaurs Go to School

What happens when dinosaurs go to school? After goodbye hugs and a quick bus ride, they spend the day playing and learning. They mix up squishy fingerpaints, practice playing tuba, munch prickly pizza, brave the dino-slide, and look forward to another day of school. With her funny, rhyming text and hilarious illustrations, Linda Martin invites everyone to see just how ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about When Dinosaurs Go to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dinosaurs Go to School

Zoraya Brown
This is a great book to read during the beginning of the school year to help children adjust to the new experience of going to school. Children often go through anxiety due to the new routines and having to be around people that they don't know. Hearing this story is a way to open up the conversation about what to expect, how fun school can be and how children may be afraid, but they don't have to be. We would discuss which routines mentioned in the book are ones that the children experience ...more
Kiera Turner
Jun 19, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it really liked it
I love this book! I would read this book to my Pre-K students. This book makes great discussion on the the first day of school and you can extend it to a math graphing activity as well. You could see how many children rode the bus, rode in a car or some other type of transportation. You could also have the children participate in an open ended discussion about some ways that their routine is the same as the dinosaurs and some ways that it is different.
Ginna
Jul 22, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: fall
Great book for the first day of school!
Make a booklet for each student and ask them to draw a sequence of pictures that show what they did during that first day of school.
Ask them:
What did you do this morning after you wake up?
What did you have for breakfast?
How did you come to school - Did you ride the bus, did you walk or you were car-rider?
Who brought you to school ?
WHat did you do this morning?

Then next day ask them to finish it.
What classrooms you visited yesterday?
How did you ride back ho
Jessica
Nov 27, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
This is a very cute book with characters that children love! Dinosaurs entrance every child! The illustrations are fun and colorful, while the plot line is simple and easy to follow. This would be a great book to read the first week of school to help children acclimate to the routine of school. However, for me this book lacks a bit of richness. While it would be a great book to use for beginning school, it does not easily connect to other domains.

Learning Extension:
I would use this book to star
Glennisha
Jun 11, 2011 Glennisha added it
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a child going to another grade and who worries
Shelves: worried-children
This is a great book for children who are going to Preschool, Pre-K or Kindergarten. This Book offers comfort and assures children who are anxious and or worried that school can be filled with fun. I personally read this book to my Godson Nyindae who is going to Preschool this coming September. He asked me a ton of questions like "Will my teacher like me?, Is it fun like my other school?, Will I be able to paint you pictures?" After reading "When Dinosaurs Go To School" to him a few times, he is ...more
Jaelyn J.
Jun 28, 2015 Jaelyn J. added it
Shelves: school
Beginning school is sometimes a trepidatious task for young ones. This book is an amazing introduction into some of the activities students will be participating in when they arrive at school. Our class would read this at the beginning of the school year. After we read it, we would altogether create a picture class schedule using magazines and any other collage materials. Hopefully this will help the students transition better in school. After all, not knowing what is going to happen next is ...more
Jazmin Palma
I would build a contrasting diagram with the class. First we would read the book and then list the similarities and differences between the day of the dinosaurs and the day of the children. Another activity I would do also using the book is learning about routine. The book tells us about the routine of the dinosaurs' before and during school. We would discuss what routine is and the children could do their own routine booklet.
Anna Johnson
Great picture book, this book can be used at the beginning of the school year to foster understanding of following a schedule. it demonstrates various activities in the classroom and therfore can be used to introduce centers. The illustrations are large and colorful which can be easily used for near and distance questions, to encourage expressive language.
Dolly
May 09, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book is a simple, easy and fun way to introduce the fun of going to school. I read this to our oldest as she began Pre-Kindergarten and it was very timely. We've borrowed it a couple of times and our girls really like it. The rhyming narrative and colorful illustrations entertain younger children.
Hannah Morrison
Super fun book! The rhyming gives the book a rhythm that is very fun to read aloud. The book could calm first day of school fears or just serve as a reminder of why we love school. Children will be entertained to see their lives being lived by dinosaurs, and it is relatively short so will most likely hold the atention of Kindergartners.
Salima Hart
This is a REALLY cute story about dinosaurs going to school. The book uses end rhyme throughout to talk about all the different activities that dinosaurs do at school. Reading this is great if you want children to learn to compare and contrast because they can compare and contrast their own school day and activities with what the dinosaurs do at their school.
Bee
Jun 22, 2011 Bee added it
This book is great for trying to set a schedule for children or trying to get them on a schedule. The students will be able to relate to the Dinosaur's schedule and see that they do some of the things. The teacher may have to use the book to explain to a child the difference of a school day and not. This can also be used to establish routine with children with exceptional needs.
Katrina Kim
Students: Preschool, Pre-K or Kindergarten

Read on the first day or first week of school; comforts and assures anxious/worried students.

The text of this story is not all that great for students to observe. The text is a bit overwhelming.

Great that it's a dinosaur book!!

Children love dinosaurs! (well most of them)
Julie
Jun 12, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This book would help children understand how a school routin works. I think reading this story in the first week(beginning) of school would be a great idea, so the teacher and students are able to share/discuss any experiences of school relate to the story.
Brittany Houston
This book reflects the shared experiences of attending a school. Students can easily relate to the text, so teachers can make appropriate connections and ask students to share how the dinosaurs' school is like their own school.
Lakeira King
Jun 24, 2013 Lakeira King rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This book was great. It was given to me by one of my professors and I really enjoyed it. The pictures are very detailed and have lots to look at. The book is also filled with rhyming if your teaching rhyming skills.
Julie Woods
A great books for kids to read before going to school. This book gives a firsthand glimpse of what the first day of school will be like so they can ease their minds. Great read for children going to kindergarten.
Katie Williams
This is a book really for kindergartners or emerging readers. As the title states, this book is most appropriate to read around the first days of school. It would be a good starter book to establishthe classroom rules and schedule with children.
Jermeria Daniel
Jun 28, 2015 Jermeria Daniel rated it really liked it
I would use this book in the beginning of the school year to help with developing a schedule for the school day. Children can draw pictures and write what each element of the day is so that it can be posted on the wall.
Jackie Douthat
This book would be useful to play with the rhyming words, letting the students fill in what comes next kind of thing. It's also good to use in the beginning of the year to talk about not only routine but the different activities that the students will get to participate in at school!
Alysia
Jul 06, 2013 Alysia rated it it was amazing
This book fits well in two topics for the classroom; the first one is the introduction of rhyme, second is the introduction of having a daily schedule and lastly this book could be used for the purpose of back to school or first time at school.
Lajune Neal
This is a good story to read to little children who are getting ready for their first day of school. It reminds me of when I was a little girl going to school and how it looked on the first day. This story is also great to use when children are learning about rhyming words and is an exciting book.
Toya
Jun 21, 2011 Toya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
I loved this book! I read this book last semester to a group of Kindergarten students. It was a great book for discussion as well. We went over nearness and distance questions from the things that happened in the story.
Seon Kim
Jul 08, 2015 Seon Kim added it
Shelves: school, animals
The illustration of the book is so cute!! This book is a great book for students to relate themselves to the story. Since it has rhyming words, I can do rhyming activities with students.
Michele Stalmer
Jul 04, 2015 Michele Stalmer added it
Shelves: humor
With its funny, rhyming text and hilarious illustration, this is a great book for teachers to use to teach about how everyday routines can be fun. It also shows that school can be a fun place to be.
Brittany White
Oct 29, 2010 Brittany White rated it really liked it
Children will love the idea of dinosaurs going to school. How crazy to imagine that! Well this book perfectly portrays what that might be like!
Meagan Elmore
Sep 06, 2012 Meagan Elmore rated it really liked it
This is a great book for Pre K-1. It will help the children understand how a school schedules works.
Kai Palmer
Jun 11, 2013 Kai Palmer rated it liked it
Shelves: rhyming-words
So many concepts can be used with this book...rhyming words, what comes next, distinguish between real and make believe.
Shantia Redd
Jun 22, 2011 Shantia Redd rated it liked it
This book is great for a child who is making a transition into school. It demonstrates rhyming and an example of a schedule that the child may follow in school.
Shayla
Shayla rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012